The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2014, 07:10 AM

Sorry to ask yet another question, but what did the public think of Wallis Simpson, did they like her or not?
Thanks in advance :)

Old 06-03-2014, 07:40 AM
Nobility

The public had little chance to form an opinion of Mrs Simpson [prior to the Abdication] in early December 1936, since the British press chose not to write about , or publish photos of the couple. London society, however knew all about it, as they were often seen in nightclubs or at parties together.

When the news broke [like a thunderclap] many people were appalled at this 'hussy stealing our King'. For others however ,who idolised Edward [both as Prince and King] felt he should be allowed to marry 'the woman he loved'...

I think that the majority of the public strongly disapproved of her, not because she was foreign, but because she was twice-divorced [in an age when divorce was considered very differently to the way we view it now.]

Old 06-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The public had little chance to form an opinion of Mrs Simpson [prior to the Abdication] in early December 1936, since the British press chose not to write about , or publish photos of the couple. London society, however knew all about it, as they were often seen in nightclubs or at parties together.

When the news broke [broke a thunderclap] many people were appalled at this 'hussy stealing our King'. For others however ,who idolised Edward [both as Prince and King] felt he should be allowed to marry 'the woman he loved'...

I think that the majority of the public strongly disapproved of her, not because she was foreign, but because she was twice-divorced [in an age when divorce was considered very differently to the way we view it now.]
I think this really points out the big difference there is in the media today compared to what it was like back at the time of the abdication. Its hard to believe but the press actually had respect for the royal family. There was still very much an air of mystery surrounding them and I really don't think that cloud evaporated too much until the War of the Wales blew it totally away.

From what I understand, Wallis became a household whispered name at coffee klatsches and over the back fence. "THAT woman" most probably should have worn a great, big scarlet A on her chest and how DARE she lead the King down the garden path to ruination and damnation especially as their beloved David as King, was the Supreme Head of the Church of England no less! They saw her as the reincarnation of the devil himself. Even growing up in the 50s and 60s as I did, any woman that was divorced had a "reputation" and even the word "divorce" was one to be whispered.

Needless to say, the public took a very dim view of Wallis and I don't think they ever really got the chance to know her as they spent most of the remainder of their lives in France. Out of sight, out of mind.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:50 AM

What lasting impacts do people think that the abdication had on the UK and the empire.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:31 PM
Serene Highness

Were all the royal jewels Edward had given to Wallis eventually returned to the British Royal Family?
Old 06-25-2014, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Were all the royal jewels Edward had given to Wallis eventually returned to the British Royal Family?
I don't believe any jewelry or jewels that belonged to the BRF was ever given to Wallis. I found an interesting article though about the jewelry she did have though.

JEWELS OF WINDSOR - NYTimes.com
Old 06-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't believe any jewelry or jewels that belonged to the BRF was ever given to Wallis. I found an interesting article though about the jewelry she did have though.

not true, there was a necklace belonging to his mother, Queen Mary, that was given to Wallis Simpson at the insistence of her difficult eldest son! I do recommend Suzy Menkes' book on the Windsor jewels for those interested in the history of the spectacular Duchess!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
not true, there was a necklace belonging to his mother, Queen Mary, that was given to Wallis Simpson at the insistence of her difficult eldest son! I do recommend Suzy Menkes' book on the Windsor jewels for those interested in the history of the spectacular Duchess!
Thanks gerry! I knew that Wallis had quite a fine collection of jewelry but I had never heard about Queen Mary's necklace. I did a bit of checking and according to this site, Queen Mary's pearl necklace was her gift to Wallis when she married the Duke.

Style - Wallis Simpson on Pinterest
Old 06-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

It was interesting to learn that Edward was fascinated with jewelry and fashion.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:21 PM
Majesty

I admire that the Duke of Windsor tried to give his wife the lifestyle that the royal establishment didn't give her.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

From the Daily Mail

Edward VIII's racist, sexist views revealed in letter to the married woman he had an affair with before Wallis Simpson

Edward VIII's racist, sexist views revealed in letter to the married woman he had an affair with before Wallis Simpson | Mail Online
Old 07-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Serene Highness

Thank God Wallis Simpson came into his life and kept him from the Throne.

There are two very scary Documentaries over at YouTube about Edward. One by National Geographic called Britain's Nazi King and the other from one of he British networks/channels called Edward VIII : The Traitor King.

As I've said...Thank God Wallis Simpson came into his life and kept him from the Throne. To think of what might have been if he had been King during WWII are too terrifying to even consider.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-24-2014, 09:27 PM
Serene Highness

In Royal Romance, edited by Lynn Picknett, it is mentioned:

King Edward VIII thought nothing of telephoning his staff at any time of the day or night.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I admire that the Duke of Windsor tried to give his wife the lifestyle that the royal establishment didn't give her.

That is quite sweet.
And I love how Edward's racist views are highlighted in here when he was a white man born in the 1800's. Various members of the RF are rumored to have had non pc views and they were born decades after him.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Edward surely inherited some parts of the Windsors' jewelery collection from his grandmother, mother and aunts.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk View Post
Edward surely inherited some parts of the Windsors' jewelery collection from his grandmother, mother and aunts.

Edward wouldn't have maintained control of the royal collection of jewels post-abdication, as they belong to the monarch.

He might have inherited something from his grandmother's personal jewel collection, or from his aunt Victoria. I don't see why he would have inherited any jewels from his other aunts, as they both had children who they presumably would have left their estates to.

Edward's mother died well after the abdication, and so I wouldn't be surprised if her personal jewels weren't left to him at all.

I read somewhere that Wallis didn't really like more classic jewelry, preferring newer designs. I doubt she would have wanted the jewels of her mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law for anything but the stones.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:50 PM
Serene Highness

In Royal Britain, it was stated:

In summer 1936, they holidayed as couple more openly than ever before on a chartered yacht, the Nahlin, in the eastern Mediterranean. International pressmen followed their every move and a crowd was heard to shout, 'Vive l'amour!' ('The wonders of love!') when the couple came ashore.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Other than the string of natural pearls given to The Duke by his mother for Wallis in 1949, at no time did he ever possess or give The Duchess any jewels from the Royal Collection. When Edward became King, Queen Mary had all of the jewels in her possession and was careful to ensure they remained out of his hands.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Tags
abdication, britain, duchess of windsor, duke of windsor, edward viii, king edward viii, wallis simpson