The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-20-2013, 02:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Has anyone heard that both David and Albert had fertility problems? And that the Yorks needed help getting pregnant because of them?

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 12-20-2013, 02:16 AM
Gentry

Well both of them came down with a serious case of measles and mumps which can cause orchitis.

I think that it might be the case with David but no so with Albert since he fathered two children, whereas despite the then Prince of Wales (David) playing the field there was never any resulting offspring.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

The rumours with David and Wallis are interesting, to say the least.

With David, the speculation comes up because despite being somewhat of a playboy he never had children. The reasoning here is often assumed to be infertility because of the mumps he had growing up, although I've also read suggestions that his sexual behaviour wasn't one that resulted in baby making, or that he did have children but they were covered up and went unacknowledged.

With Wallis, the fertility speculation is that despite having been married three times and having had lovers, she never had children - although, again, it is alleged that she had a love child with David who was put up for adoption and went unacknowledged. Here the reasoning varies from her being naturally infertile, her being intersex or a man, her having had either her tubes tied or a hysterectomy without any of her husbands having known, or the result of an abortion gone wrong.

I'm not certain about the Yorks' fertility problems, although if I remember correctly the Queen Mum had problems with her deliveries and possibly her pregnancies as well, so I think any problems there may have been more on her end. That said, as they had two children we can assume that neither of them was infertile although they may have had difficulties conceiving (or may have simply intentionally delayed conceiving).
Old 12-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

I understand the DoW only had dalliances with married women. At that time, if a woman was married and became pregnant by someone else, too bad. The resulting child was legally considered the husband's child. There could be many, many children out there sired by the DoW.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Has anyone heard that both David and Albert had fertility problems? And that the Yorks needed help getting pregnant because of them?
I guess I would ask what the DM has to say about this - this topic is right up their alley.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 12-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I guess I would ask what the DM has to say about this - this topic is right up their alley.
Well played

Old 12-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Good gracious I'm aware he had children I said so in my post. My question was has anyone heard or come across concrete info regarding the artificial insemination or if its just speculation.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Good gracious I'm aware he had children I said so in my post. My question was has anyone heard or come across concrete info regarding the artificial insemination or if its just speculation.
This is just my supposition but considering the era and the fact that the royal family has always been very staunch church goers, I would imagine that the idea of using artificial insemination would never have crossed their minds. In 1959 the CoE issued a statement stating that the use of artificial insemination was 'morally wrong and socially harmful'. Even if by chance, this was a method that was used by anyone in the royal family, there would be nothing concrete anywhere and it would have been done very discreetly with as few people knowing about it as possible. If it had been made known at that time, I think as far as public outcry, it would make the abdication of Edward VIII that came later look like a walk in the park.

Historical Development of the Church of England's thinking on human fertilisation & embryology
Old 12-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Albert seemed like a very moral guy and wouldn't go against the CoE. If even after he was dead they were still against it I assume in 1926 and 1930 they would be even more against it. I assume this story developed because they had their first child 3 yrs after they married and by c section.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:23 PM
Majesty

Proclamation of Accession of King Edward VIII | From St James's Palace: January 21st 1936-
BBC - Archive - Edward VIII - Proclamation of Accession of King Edward VIII | From St James's Palace

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Happy pre-Valentines Day from the National Portrait Gallery. I was trying to find images of the postcards from the NPG Gala fundraiser - and instead I found this Portrait of the Day of the D and D of Windsor.
National Portrait Gallery - Portrait of the Day: Wallis and Edward

It makes me want to grab someone and ballroom dance! Lovely and timeless, whatever their individual faults, there was love.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 03-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Courtier

"Edward and Mrs. Simpson" miniseries

I've just watched and enjoyed this seven-part series on Acorn TV (streamed via my Roku device). It was made in 1978 and starred Edward Fox and Cynthia Harris.

There wasn't really anything in it that I didn't already know, but the fashions, sets, and jewels were pretty fabulous. It was a very sympathetic portrayal of both of them, and it made Edward seem as charming as he was said to be, and Wallis came off well, too. I've never cared for them because I think they both behaved badly, particularly their doings after marriage, but I liked them in this. It was a pleasant way to spend 7 hours when my husband was out of town!
Old 03-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I've seen most of it but still have the last couple of episodes waiting for me. I vaguely remember it being on CBC back in the 70s but didn't really take it in at the time because I was so young.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

This was a 7 part series about the Duke and Duchess? For people who were supposedly so maligned they sure fascinate the masses and have for decades.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeema View Post
I came across this site from another board, the alleged daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Winsor is named Elizabeth. Be sure to click on the link for the pictures of her sons and grandsons.

Here is the site Elizabeth, the daughter of the Duke & Duchess of Windsor.

This story I have heard about before but the wife and child in Canada is new to me.
How similar Elizabeth's second son, John looks to Queen Mary (1911 photograph)!!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:31 AM

Edward VIII Personality

Hi, I was wondering what Edward VIII was actually like as a person, I cant seem to find that much online and was wondering if anyone could help me here?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:50 AM
Majesty

Like anyone else there will be differing views on whether he was liked. Some people liked him, some loathed him, some loved him while others hated him and some even changed their minds about him over time.

Generally - as he was The Prince of Wales he was loved - not personally as much as the position he held but ... that was the age also when royalty was still seen as something special and beyond the reach of the average person in the street (no longer the case of course).

When he abdicated a lot of that love from the general public went and was transferred to his younger brother who was now the special one as the King.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Ryanm, you might have to look at books rather than online to find information about David the person. There is a fair bit out there, but it's in books. I think he was a rather egotistical chap, but that's not really surprising considering his upbringing, and he was surrounded by sycophants. I find him to be very interesting, and, unlike many others, I tend to admire him for the stance he took about Wallace. I think it took courage to abdicate.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I am by no means an expert on Edward VIII (well loved to his family as David). I think when I look at familial traits, I can see traits that I see in other family members that paints the picture of David for me.

I think growing up, he was very much the beloved "golden boy" of the family along with being the heir and The Prince of Wales. The difference between David and his brother Bertie were very much as we see the differences between William and Harry now. While William seems to exhibit a more reserved, serious nature and on his guard in public like Bertie, David was more the flamboyant, devil may care and outgoing social animal as Harry seems to be. Another comparison could be made too of the differences in natures of Queen Elizabeth and her sister, Princess Margaret. Elizabeth was one that preferred to be in the country riding and always presented herself in a refined manner whereas Margaret was the "grab life by the horns" girl and she grabbed a lot of it. In one respect David and his niece Elizabeth were very much alike though. They both knew what their hearts wanted and stuck steadfast to it and never faltered. As it was Wallis forever for David, it was Philip forever for Elizabeth and both marriages were not shallow ones. Elizabeth's father, Bertie, stepped up to the plate to clean up the proverbial mess that David created with the abdication with a deep sense of duty, fortitude and resolve that was lacking in David's makeup when it came to being King. Personality wise, I think David was the more extroverted one that was ruled by what David wants whereas Bertie was more introverted and more empathetic to what was needed of him rather than what Bertie needed.

All in all, I think for the most part, the way history happened was the best possible outcome. It also shows that sometimes the expectations of a person at birth isn't always in the best interest of a person.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm View Post
Hi, I was wondering what Edward VIII was actually like as a person, I cant seem to find that much online and was wondering if anyone could help me here?
I think he was a very complex person, easy to get along with, aware of his position and comfortable enough with it to be personable. Other thoughts are than he was, deep minded, thoughtful, quiet, funny, stylish, selfish, friendly, kind, caring, deeply in love, lonely, weak-willed, wry. My father was in awe of him and tried to emulate some of his characteristics, so maybe some of the things I have written are not really about the Duke of Windsor, but they seem to fit him well.

Tags
abdication, britain, duchess of windsor, duke of windsor, edward viii, king edward viii, wallis simpson