The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Unseen portrait of Edward VIII in royal robes after the Coronation that never was | Mail Online

All dressed up with no place to reign:
Unseen portrait of Edward VIII in royal robes after the Coronation that never was

"This forgotten painting of King Edward VIII in Coronation robes he never wore, released to mark today's 75th anniversary of his abdication, shows how the royal family could have been very different. The painting of the King, who gave up his crown to marry Mrs Wallis Simpson, was commissioned for a special Edward VIII Coronation issue of Illustrated London News which never made it to the news stands. A copy was only discovered after the publishers moved offices. It is believed the original portrait by Albert Collings was lost in the war."

v
The portrait of Edward VIII in Coronation robes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Edward VIII Coronation Portrait (never released).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	281997  

Old 12-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Aristocracy

Very interesting painting. To mark the day it is my wallpaper.!!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Heir Apparent

I do not know if I post in the correct place.

Imagine that Prince Edward has been authorised to marry Wallis Simson, and imagine that he did so. He consequently has not abdicated and he has reign as Edward VIII.
But Wallis Simson could not have chldren, so consequently, no direct heir.
Considering that his brother George, died early (so might be before Edward), who would reign after King Edward???
Princess Elisabeth, doughter of the heir, OR the son of the Duke of Gloucester, because a male??
Old 12-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Gentry

At the time of Edward VIII's ascension, Princess Elizabeth was 2nd in line to the throne, behind her father, and before the Duke of Gloucester and his heirs. Had Edward not abdicated, only the timing would have changed, not the result. HM Queen Elizabeth II would still have been monarch.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Aristocracy

Thank of it this way Beatrice and Eugenie still out rank the Earl of Wessex and his children and the Princess Royal and her children. The princesses father out rank his two siblings and so would his children regardless of their sex.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks to both for explanations.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Majesty

To give you an earlier example - take Queen Victoria.

Her father was the fourth son of George III.

Her father died before George III but her place in the line of succession was determined by her relationship to her father and his place as the fourth son. She always remained ahead of all of George III's fifth and later sons and all of his daughters so after George III's eldest son and third son had both been King she succeeded because she was the child of the fourth son and even though the fifth son was alive and had a son as well.

Gender only comes into it within one family but not between lines e.g. James comes before Louise because he is a boy and Andrew and Edward's lines always come before Anne's line but Beatrice and Eugenie and their lines will always come before Edward's line.

So in the awful scenario whereby Charles, William, Harry and Andrew all predecease the Queen Beatrice would become Queen over the Queen's remaining son.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Heir Apparent

What I find remarkable about this painting is the dark look around Edward's eyes. It gives him a rather haunted look. I wonder whether the dark circles were naturally there, or was the portraitist unusually perceptive?

Old 12-28-2011, 12:21 AM
Serene Highness

The dark circles are rather pronounced, aren't they? I thought the same thing, my dear Mermaid, when I saw this portrait. Rather haunting.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Rev. James Leo, pastor to Duchess of Windsor | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com
Old 01-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Aristocracy

May God bless the Rev Leo. Regardless of what the world thought of the Duchess the lord always loved her til the last day of her life. It is nice to know she had that and let it be know what Rev Leo was the one to preach her funeral.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
What I find remarkable about this painting is the dark look around Edward's eyes. It gives him a rather haunted look. I wonder whether the dark circles were naturally there, or was the portraitist unusually perceptive?
If I recall correctly from photos I've seen, Edward always had those dark circles and the artist realistically included them in the portrait.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Courtier

"photo-shopped'

George VI Coronation portrait early example of 'photo-shopping' - Telegraph

Bittersweet, but amusing.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

'The truth can't hurt them anymore': How a 1940s U.S. Marine-turned-rent boy slept with Hollywood's elite and 'had threesomes with Edward and Wallis' | Mail Online
Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would like to just give a heads up to anyone thinking of buying the book....I was at Borders yesterday and thumbed thru, and it is extremely explicit.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:53 PM

It could very well be that the missing papers have something to with embarrasing the Royal Family. This is not the first time this has happened. It is like magic how anything that embarrases the Royal Family has been taken care of. Naturally, this is only speculation. There is nothing like a good royal mystery
Old 02-24-2012, 02:50 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muellera View Post
It could very well be that the missing papers have something to with embarrasing the Royal Family. This is not the first time this has happened. It is like magic how anything that embarrases the Royal Family has been taken care of. Naturally, this is only speculation. There is nothing like a good royal mystery

I agree, but to which papers do you refer in this instance?
Old 03-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

As the woman who lured the future King of England away from the throne, Wallis Simpson was used to being splashed across the front pages.

Read more: Why Wallis Simpson hated Marilyn Monroe revealed in Charles Pick's memoirs | Mail Online
Old 03-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Commoner

What's your opinion on Wallis Simpson and Edward VIII?

Hello, fellow royal fans

After watching Madonna's W.E, I had a feeling that people reacted violently on two reasons: Some haters were gone rage over Wallis while others gone rage because the movie historically inaccurate.

If you're one of the haters over Wallis, you're not alone; Daily Fail addresses her as a man and the angry mobs are raging over the abdication of Edward VIII. I mean, come on, people, it's over and Wallis it's not a dude!!!

Now now, instead of talking about the abdication and Wallis personality and stuffs, I think it's better to tell me your opinion about both couple. What do you think of them? Does both deserves to be on the blame party? What's your opinion about them?
Old 03-14-2012, 03:37 AM
Aristocracy

LadySarah, if you read back through the posts on this thread, I think you will be left in no doubt about how people view Wallis and Edward and whatever are your own thoughts, it will make for interesting reading.

Tags
abdication, britain, duchess of windsor, duke of windsor, edward viii, king edward viii, wallis simpson