Duke and Duchess of Windsor (1894-1972) and (1895-1986)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BeatrixFan said:
I think that's what fascinates me where Wallis is concerned. She was just such an enigma and her latter years are just so surreal and sad.

this is so true. i recently finished reading a book about wallis. although it was very "pro" wallis i think it was a much more fair picture than past books have been. it's very sad that a family can be so cold and not forgive things that they really have no reason to not forgive. i can understand the duke and duchess of york holding a grudge (although i think even they should have softened in later years) but the current queen and her family should have changed and extended the olive branch and allowed edward to feel comfortable in visiting the UK. and i think they certainly should have made wallis feel more welcome in the last years of her life. it's very sad.

I remember reading "The Heart has it's Reasons" and I actually sobbed because up until reading it, I'd just thought of Wallis as "that woman" but suddenly, here was this woman who was quite possibly in way above her head, living a life she didn't want to live. I think David was devoted to her till his dying day but for her, I think the marriage was a whim that lasted far longer than she ever expected it to but then when David had gone, she suddenly realised that she was an old lady, left alone and no longer able to pick up any man she wanted because she wasn't "that woman" any more.

I think you make a good point when you say that they should have made her feel welcome. I almost wish that she'd be given a residence like Thatched House Lodge etc - I think it's incredibly sad to think of her living as a kind of recluse, smothered in make-up and jewels, eeking out her last days all alone. But strangely, it seemed to happen to alot of women like her. Margaret, Duchess of Argyll suffered with the same fate.

I agree about the book "The Heart Has Its Reasons". It was really the first glimpse I had of Wallis as a human being with feelings -- even though a few things in the life of Wallis and David were probably glossed over in it.

Suzanne Blum, who I believe was (or made herself) executor of the estate, has been blamed for isolating Wallis in her final days and controlling all her finances.

I wonder would the RF have stepped in in any way to at least arrange for the care of this lonely and pathetic old lady if they had to?

I've always been sympathetic to Wallis and David.

I really do feel they were both, primarily the Duchess, harshly done by their respective family and I do believe the Queen Mother to have been most disagreeable for so many years to a woman she did not, really, even know.

Its very little wonder as to why Wallis didn't much care for Elizabeth in return.

The thought that Wallis 'killed the King' (by way of the abdication) is so rediculous (in my mind) and really, I think shame on the Queen Mother for even harbouring such a thought. It was the effects of chronic smoking that killed George VI, and the stresses of war would not have alleviated the inevitability of his smoking ways.

But it went to show that when one doesn't wish to place responsibility on those who are infact responsible (The King for his own actions), that the focus shall be directed to those who are already the focuss of ones' disliking.

pathetic old lady

Interesting observation.

Last edited:
I think the current Queen was always very aware of the way her mother felt about just about everything, and the Queen Mother's antipathy toward Wallis was very well known. It seems as though in family matters Mummie's opinion was always very important, and we know what Mummie's opinion of the Windsors was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally poste by Elspeth
It seems as though in family matters Mummie's opinion was always very important, and we know what Mummie's opinion of the Windsors was.
Whilst I think that personal distaste played a large part in the public perception of the RF regarding the abdication, I think we have to remember that it really was another time, another age even. Outside of the aristocracy divorce was almost unknown.

Divorced women were regarded as shameless and usually seen as adulterous and you had better believe that they would not have been invited to join the local ladies guild! The masses (upper, middle and lower classes) throughout the Empire would not have countenanced such a person as their Queen. And, it must also be remembered that she was divorced more than once and rumours of her love affairs were rampant.

To find out now that there were also serious security concerns makes the rejection of their marriage serendipitous. Unwise and possible treasonous behavior would have seriously damaged the monarchy and an Empire facing war far more than the abdication of the King to wed an unsuitable woman.

Last edited:
Elspeth said:
I think the current Queen was always very aware of the way her mother felt about just about everything, and the Queen Mother's antipathy toward Wallis was very well known. It seems as though in family matters Mummie's opinion was always very important, and we know what Mummie's opinion of the Windsors was.

Most definitely, Elspeth, I agree. "Mummie" completely ruled the roost until the day she died, in my opinion. Even note how differently the Queen has dressed since her mother passed away in 2002.

Avareenah said:
Most definitely, Elspeth, I agree. "Mummie" completely ruled the roost until the day she died, in my opinion. Even note how differently the Queen has dressed since her mother passed away in 2002.

Apparently so. The Queen Mother was also said to be adamantly against Charles marrying Camilla and refused to receive her formally. The Queen would not even consider it until after her mother died.

Well, I doubt that very much as there are pictures of Camilla chatting to the Queen Mother at the races. More recently, it's well documented that the Queen Mother let Charles and Camilla spent time at the Castle of Mey. According to Gyles Brandreth who interviewed, "a member of the Royal Family" for his book "Portrait of a Love Affair", the Queen Mother met Camilla several times.

I think Wallis knew exactly what she was getting into. I am sure she loved David, but the proof is in the pudding.

For all the damage and scandal at that time she deserved NOT to be called HRH.

Are any of the Royal Family ever deserving of the style of HRH? That's what makes you a monarchist or a republican I guess.

Lady Marmalade said:
I think Wallis knew exactly what she was getting into. I am sure she loved David, but the proof is in the pudding.

For all the damage and scandal at that time she deserved NOT to be called HRH.

I don't think she loved him at the time of the Abdication. If anything, I think she was flattered by his attention, but would have been happy to move on with her life. Once he abdicated, she had no choice but to see it through.

Given the shock and dismay of a former king marrying a twice-divorced woman at the time, I don't think George VI had much choice but to deny her royal rank. But by the 1960's, The Queen should have rectified the matter.

And admit that her father was wrong...that wouldn't have happened.

Both the Duke and Duchess were victims of their times. I am sure there was enough blame (Queen Mother, Queen Mary and the DUke and Duchess). As someone mentioned before..times were different. Heck if you were divorced, you were sure to lose all connections and people treated you as a pariah! Can you imagine someone who was married and divorced twice marrying into the Royal Family. Based on her track record...I am sure they thought she was going to do the same thing to David. As I recall reading somewhere...no one wanted a thrice divorced HRH running around the continent.

branchg said:
Given the shock and dismay of a former king marrying a twice-divorced woman at the time, I don't think George VI had much choice but to deny her royal rank. But by the 1960's, The Queen should have rectified the matter.

Regardless of the Queen's personal opinion on this, she would never have rectified this when Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, was alive. Obviously after she died in 2002, it was too late...

I think she loved him but was not in love with him. I think maybe she was in love with the idea of being queen perhaps..the trappings of royalty.

Zonk said:
And admit that her father was wrong...that wouldn't have happened.

Most accounts have stated The Queen was willing to grant the style by 1967, but her mother remained adamantly opposed. She wasn't going to force The Queen Mother into an uncomfortable position.

Lady Marmalade said:
I think she loved him but was not in love with him. I think maybe she was in love with the idea of being queen perhaps..the trappings of royalty.

I must disagree with that assessment.:rolleyes: I think she thought about being queen (before the abdication) for a QUICK SECOND....she would have perferred to remain the mistress. The power behind the throne. Let's face it...she had the ear of the King, the jewelery, a majority of London society accepted her as such (King's mistress) why marry him and have to deal with all the drama. The endless obligations, the ceremonies, etc.

Based upon what I read..and some of it hasn't been exactly favorable to her..I will admit that. She was pretty shocked that he was going to give it up...I think he made that decision without really talking to her about it.

Lady Marmalade said:
maybe she was in love with the idea of being queen perhaps..the trappings of royalty.

I'm not sure of that. I would have thought Wallis to have been well aware that if she were to marry david, she would not be Queen. The prospect of her attaining that role was always (as far as I can tell) in the red.

And with no offence intended to our American members at all :flowers: I highly doubt the idea of an American born Queen Consort (divorced or otherwise) to have gone down terribly well with the British public. Infact, I still largely feel that would be the case now.

Last edited:
I remember reading a quote from a politician who said something along the lines that the upper classes didn't mind that she was divorced but minded that she was American whereas the working classes didn't mind that she was American but minded dreadfully that she was divorced.

Times really have changed.

hehe...you have to love the British.

Madame Royale said:
hehe...you have to love the British.
Ah! But thats what makes the British ... well British! :lol:

Unfortunately I don't think that David or Wallis factored that into their lives, as they were seen to be somewhat trendy movers and shakers. And the British people ... they just stand firm! ;)

Elspeth said:
Times really have changed.
I don't think times changed so much till the day the duchess died. While nowadays Camilla received her HRH-style and Charles could stay first-in-line, Camilla still doesn't feel it is appropriate to call herself The Princess of Wales.
It's still the same way of thinking, IMHO, that led to Camilla's decision not to use the "Princess of Wales"-title and the unwillingness of the monarch to grant Wallis the HRH.

It may or may not be a perception of how the queen sees the situation but it IMHO has to do with the establishment views the role of the monarchy and the Royal family within the British society.

Wallis brought enormous upheaval to a Royal family that had only 19 years before changed the family name formally because of the public perception of Britishness and German ancestry. 19 years is not such a long time for a Royal family. I don't think we, as commoners of today, can imagine what it meant for the Hanovers to change their name. The Hanovers (Welf family) are the oldest noble family of Europe! They can trace back their male line to the very beginning of the Holy Roman empire of Germany - it's as if they could trace back their ancestry to a German version of king Arthur himself. That they acquired Britain through marriage with a Stuart-heiress didn't count much, I guess and that they lost their male-line possessions in Hanover through the same laws about female inheritance (queen Victoria and her uncle, the duke of Cumberland) didn't matter much, either. Albert's Saxon blood is as well of the oldest nobility traceable in Europe - these families along with the Habsburg formed and reigned the center of Europe for a millenium and more.

And now they had to change their name and thus their identity. To give up their European roots to prove they are British. They chose the name of Windsor. Does anyone think it's a coincidence that David got the title of the "duke of Windsor"? I cannot remember exactly how it came to this choice of title but IMHO the name alone has a significance. Maybe it was a signal for all to see that even if Edward was not longer king, he still was the senior male line personage of the Windsor-family. Not just a Royal Duke but as the eldest brother of the king he was "The duke of Windsor".

I can imagine this could have played a role when it comes to the choice of title. But Wallis? As wife of the duke of Windsor, she surely was his duchess. But she was not accepted as wife of the senior Windsor by the family. The Hanoverans as well as the Saxes had a long tradition of granting only minor titles and styles to the wifes they considered morganatic. Why should this have changed only because the Hanoverans/Saxes became the Windsors. So Wallis was "Her Grace" and that was that.

I don't think the queen ever intended to grant her a HRH when this would have been a signal that David and Wallis has still existed on an offcial level where Britian and the Royal House was concerned. I believe after his abdication Edward ceased to be considered a member of the "Royal" family, he only stayed a part of the family which by chance reigned Britain. Which is a great difference, IMHO. Okay, he still had a right to certain privileges as he was a descendant of the electress Sophia but these privileges did not include the woman for whom he had left his position as most senior member of the Royal family.

If I had been Wallis, I'd accepted that out of respect for the Hanoveran/Saxe's historic background. I'd have been glad to be able to share the life of my husband and the same name. IMHO Edward was spoilt and believed so much in his own superiority that he couldn't understand that privileges can be lost if you don't behave according to the rules of the society that award these privileges to you - and that he taught Wallis to think the same. When IMHO it was right that she shouldn't have been a HRH as this would have endangered the standing and perception of the Royal family.

Last edited:
Jo of Palatine said:
I don't think times changed so much till the day the duchess died. While nowadays Camilla received her HRH-style and Charles could stay first-in-line, Camilla still doesn't feel it is appropriate to call herself The Princess of Wales.
It's still the same way of thinking, IMHO, that led to Camilla's decision not to use the "Princess of Wales"-title and the unwillingness of the monarch to grant Wallis the HRH.

I don't think that is the case, Jo. Camilla doesn't use the title "The Princess of Wales" of respect to the first wife of The Prince of Wales and mother of his children, not because she doesn't feel it is appropirate. Camilla certainly deserves and has that title.
In case of Wallis, she simply did not have that title, so she could not use it. If she did have it, I assume she would use it without feeling it is inappropirate.
Times have changed.

Last edited:
Queen Marie said:
Are there any portraits of the Duchess of Windsor out there?
I've always thought she was a great beauty, but there just aren't enough pictures of her around.

The Duchess a great beauty? You must be thinking of some other duchess (I always thought she looked like an unattractive transvestite). But the woman had great style. (I once knew a man who knew her when she was married to her first husband, and this lovely gentleman had beautiful things to say about her, so I'm not totally anti-Wallis, I just don't like some of the things she did.)

Thanks guys!

iowabelle said:
The Duchess a great beauty? You must be thinking of some other duchess (I always thought she looked like an unattractive transvestite). But the woman had great style. (I once knew a man who knew her when she was married to her first husband, and this lovely gentleman had beautiful things to say about her, so I'm not totally anti-Wallis, I just don't like some of the things she did.)
Well, ok. I can see how you might think that from some angles lol! But I've always thought there was something mysterious about her face. I dunno, I can't describe it. I guess the Duke would have known what I mean!

Last edited:
I think I know what Queen Marie means. Wallis was never really a great beauty in the classical sense but her chic style and immaculate grooming did make her seem that way to me. Because of this, her photographs are pleasurable to look at and that's what I consider beautiful.

I can't remember who it was but it was said of Wallis' face "all her features are good, yet put together they do not make beauty".

I'm not sure what Iowabelle means by "not liking some of the things she did". As an American in the 1930's, she didn't have much idea of royal protocol, but I believe they got married at David's insistence, not because of any ambition of Wallis' to be Queen. :)

I think her failure to "age well" was a combination of her habits of being a heavy smoker, drinker and sun worshipper - she was always the "tanned" one in the royal family in her day.

Margaret was fashionably dressed until about the mid 1960's but seemed to get stuck there. Her later clothes, hats etc. seemed quite dated and were not flattering, in my opinion. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom