The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-15-2006, 01:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Didn't the question about legality arise because it was argued that by abdicating, Edward hadn't lost his HRH since he was still a son of George V and hadn't renounced his royal status, just his position as King? Therefore it was argued that George VI had no need to confer an HRH on him because he was already HRH, and as long as he was HRH, his wife was HRH once they married. I've seen it stated in articles about the abdication that George VI went through with this creation of a totally unnecessary HRH simply because in so doing he could refuse to grant the Duchess an HRH, whereas if he'd acknowledged the existing HRH status, he'd have had to specifically draw up letters patent to deny the Duchess the HRH.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:57 AM
Majesty

That is my understanding of the situation.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

The 1937 Letters Patent did not change The Duke's status or confer HRH on him. He was already HRH by right of his status as a son of the sovereign. What it did was specifically limit the rank to him alone while denying his wife and children the right to share it.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:18 PM

Which was illegal and actually was almosy giving carte blanche to morganatic marriage thus denying Wallis her HRH.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Which was illegal and actually was almosy giving carte blanche to morganatic marriage thus denying Wallis her HRH.
It wasn't "illegal" because the Sovereign alone has the right to confer or withhold any rank, title or style as fount of honour. However, it certainly was a slap in the face to Wallis.

The morganatic issue is moot because they were married by civil ceremony in France, were not members of the royal family and lived in exile anyway.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:27 PM

David was still a member of the Royal Family surely? I still say it was illegal and that poor woman was denied that style of HRH. It was just viscious, not that it's my place to judge the Queen's father but I still think it was a wrong decision.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

They weren't married by civil ceremony, they were married by a Church of England clergyman. The Duke was a British citizen; as long as his marriage was legal in Britain, and the King, Prime Minister, and Archbishop of Canterbury didn't dispute that, it fell under British law, and British law doesn't recognise morganatic marriage.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

It probably made sense in 1937 with the incredible shock of the Abdication, but the vendetta should have ended by the 1960's. The Queen wasn't going to force her mother into an uncomfortable position over something she probably had mixed feelings about herself.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
British law doesn't recognise morganatic marriage.
Well, it did in 1937 and there is no constitutional law on the subject, so I guess morganatic marriage exists if the Government advises the Crown to issue letters patent stating a wife cannot share her husband's royal rank. Once that happens, it becomes law.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Morganatic marriage was one of the alternatives suggested by the King for Parliament to consider, as an alternative to abdication. According to biographies of Edward VIII, the morganatic marriage proposal was a non-starter because, unlike some parts of Europe (at least in the 19th century), morganatic marriage wasn't part of British law. When a peer or a royal married, his wife took his rank even if she hadn't been an aristocrat herself, regardless of whether the marriage was a civil one or a religious one.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

It was a tricky question because the Crown is above the law and legally there was nothing to stop Edward VIII from marrying Wallis. As the fount of honour and source of all enoblement, the Sovereign cannot be a peer, therefore, the wife of the King is automatically Queen Consort and nothing else.

The question of a morganatic marriage was never seriously considered by Baldwin or the Cabinet because the Government was opposed to Wallis becoming Edward's consort, regardless of her title or rank. While it's true there were no precedents constitutionally, that doesn't mean it couldn't happen if Parliament and the Dominions accepted it. They did not.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:51 AM

We have never recognised morganatic marriage so Wallis should have been given the HRH and she should have been a Princess of the United Kingdom. That was denied to Wallis illegally. Now it means nothing of course, it'd only be three letters more on a tombstone, but the principal remains.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

This site talks about the 'proof' that Edward and Wallis had a daughter, Elizabeth, who was taken away from them at birth. They thought she had died shortly after birth but was actually taken away. The photos show distinct resemblences.....I dont know.....make of it what you will.
http://we3.org/
Old 08-23-2006, 03:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Interesting page. But.... Well, as acception of this woman as the child of Wallis and Edward would mean a lot of problems for the BRF, so there won't be an interest in doing any kind of proof from this side.
I'm wondering, too how this woman found out? The webpage says: "God" told her. Hmmmmm......If "God" had only spoken at a time when Wallis was still alive... modern medicine could easily prove a mother-daughter-relationship.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:45 AM
Majesty

I don't understand what problems this child would cause the BRF.

Afterall she was born in 1934 - before they were married, in fact while she was married to another man and that man would be regarded as her father anyway. The child would be illegitimate if not acknowledged as the child or a lawful marriage - a stigma at the time that I doubt Wallis and her husband would have inflicted on her.

In addition Edward abdicated for his heirs and successors so no child of his could claim the throne.

There are others who claim to be his child - one of whom lived on a property near the little town where I grew up (Edward had visited the property on his visit Down Under in the early 20s and the child was born 9 months after this visit). She received cards and letters from BP and other relevant places throughout her life.

I couldn't care less whether or not Edward and Wallis had 20 children - they have no claim due to either being illegitimate if born before the wedding or out of the succession following their 'father's' abdication statement.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
I don't understand what problems this child would cause the BRF.
Who inherited after the duchess of Windsor died? Didn't a part of her estate end up with the BRF?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Pasteur Medical Institute in France was the primary beneficiary of her estate, which mostly consisted of her jewels and remaining objects and furnishings in their Paris mansion. As we all know, the jewels were auctioned with spectacular success ($40 million).

Mr. Al-Fayed purchased the furnishings from the estate when he took over the lease of the mansion from the City of Paris. He renovated and restored the villa as a kind of museum for a few years, then auctioned everything off so he could live in the home.

With the exception of a few pieces of jewelry to Princess Alexandra, The Duchess of Kent and Princess Michael of Kent, the royal family received nothing from the estate.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think after the Duke died, Earl Mountbatten was involved in trying to get as much of his stuff as possible for the royal family, and I believe one of the Windsor biographies said that the Duchess authorised the return of some things of the Duke's that had particular historical significance. But when Mountbatten started to badger her to leave her jewels to Charles or came up with schemes to leave her money to a specially created charity that would be administered by Charles, she dug in and got her lawyer (who sounds like a reincarnation of a psychotic pit bull) to forbid Mountbatten's visits to her.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:17 AM
Administrator

I had heard that as well Elspeth. From the books regarding the Duke and Duchess, Mountbatten sounds as if he was playing both sides---the Windsors and then the Royal family (King George, the Queen Mother, etc.)

I am sure looking back the whole episode could have been handled better on both sides. Yes, technically the Duchess was denied the HRH but as I mentioned before based upon her previous history (the Duke was after all her third husband) the BRF family had no way of knowing that the marriage was going to last. In fact, based uon a book that I read about the Duchess (the book is at home so I can't cite it now), after Edward gave up so much (throne, fortune and essentially family) for her...she felt an obligation to him. This is not to say she could't leave him if she wanted to but she would have felt extremely guilty.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:10 AM

Wallis did leave jewels to Princess Michael did she not? I've seen Princess M sporting a few Wallis gems but I think the majority were actually paste.

Tags
abdication, britain, duchess of windsor, duke of windsor, edward viii, king edward viii, wallis simpson