The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Aristocracy

Courtesy of Pope-Hennessy, this admonishment of the eighteen year old David by his father George V.".....it is most necessary that you should develop properly both in mind and body. It all depends.....whether you develop into a strong, healthy man or remain a sort of puny, halfgrown boy"!!!!!!!! Probably just the words of a father very concerned by his sons' punishing exercise regime and birdlike appetite (might David have been anorexic) but I'm willing to bet that to D it sounded like yet another critism. To me, the word "remain" tells how D was viewed as being by GV.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Via letter. George was good at that. So was May. . .

Old 03-03-2011, 05:41 AM
Royal Highness

I was just wondering who is selling the Duchesses items? and who the #$%^% is interested in them?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Aristocracy

Auntie, if by "items" you mean jewellery, I was lucky enough to see Sothebys' display of pieces which were to be re-auctioned just before Christmas. To find myself standing with just a pane of glass between me and pieces which had adorned her wrist and neck was VERY powerful. I can only say IMO they were Magnificent!!! That's not to say I'd want to wear much of it because other than some superlative pearls most of it is not to my taste- I don't like her curious, but very brave way of combining colours. However, I can recognize superb craftmanship when I see it and would have graciously accepted any piece as a gift!!!! As to who would actually buy them, they all went for prices way above estimate.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Royal Highness

I am not talking about her jewells, they are mind boggeling,
I mean her lingerie and handbags, which are being sold now
Old 03-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd be interested in Wallis' handbag. Any handbag sheowned, the woman had style after all. AS for the bits of fluff, Russo will pass on that. . . .
Old 03-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Serene Highness

Did Wallis have a sister or a relative who closely resembled her?
Old 03-04-2011, 02:40 AM
Aristocracy

VM, to my knowledge, she was an only child whose father died of TB soon after her birth. Her only close relative seems to have been her aunt Bessie, and unless it was a family name, for whom she may have originally been named, Bessiewallis being the name on her birth certificate. Sorry, I can give you no info about wider family.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Serene Highness

Tsaritsa,

Thank you for the reply. It has been some time since I read the biography on Wallis and I could not recall a sister but I did remember her Aunt Bessie, of whom Wallis was very fond. I asked this question because I am reading Shawcross's bio on the Queen Mother and when the King and Queen visited the States in 1939, they made a quick stop in Baltimore of all places on their way to Washington. According to Joseph Kennedy, who was Ambassador to Great Britain at the time, Queen Elizabeth said a woman who looked just like Wallis approached her and offered her a bouquet of flowers. She initially thought it was Wallis but then realized that could not be true but was nonetheless nonplussed about what she should do.

Do you think it was some woman dressed and styled to resemble Wallis in order to play a prank on the King and Queen? Perhaps a Wallis sympathizer who set out to avenge a native daughter? This is the first time I have read of this incident.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Aristocracy

Confession time VM! I've not read Shawcross' bio on the QM. Am rereading Zieglers' Edward V111 which was bought for me within weeks of its' release in 1990 so many years have passed since I last read it. Having read so much of the derogatory about EV111 it seems odd to be reading something about him which has no hint of condemnation.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 PM

Hello,
I am a new subscriber to this site, and I love it ! I have long been a fan of Princess Diana, and read virtually every book written about her to date. I have also always had an interest in the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, and in the last six months, have read approx 12 books on them. I guess one of my questions has been one of so many others: Did Wallis ever have a child ? I've read where she became pregnant by an Italian man while she was still Mrs. Simpson, but aborted the baby. I read that she did run into him a few times in travels with the Duke, purely accidental. I've read where her first husband, Win Spencer, was physically abusive in his drunken rages, and once kicked Wallis so hard in the stomach, that it left her unable to have children. I also read where she and then Prince of Wales had a daughter in 1934, and the baby was "taken away" immediately. I've seen the photos the the girl-now grown woman with 4 sons-named Elizabeth, and the comparisons are quite uncanny ! I am curious why, if this woman is/believes she is the Windsors daughter, why a simple DNA test was never administered. I would think someone who was told that her birth parents were the Duke and Duchess would want to know, but perhaps, not. I always thought the Windsors would have made good parents, given their love for each other. They could have offered a child/children everything possible.
I was just curious if anyone had any different information. I don't know if it's just me, but this couple fascinate me; perhaps it's because my late husband and I had a beautiful love story, as well. Although we didn't have many years together before he died, I always knew I was blessed to have been able to marry my " prince charming" . We weren't a duke and duchess, but a teacher and a principal with our own love story.
Thank you to everyone for riveting information on Wallis and David--they can become addictive !
Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 PM

I know I just posted a question regarding if the Duke and Duchess of Windsor had any children. I did just read the 3D.org story that their "daughter" Elizabeth has posted to attempt to get her story out. The photos are extremely similar. What I don't understand, is how Wallis could be pregnant-especially in the 3rd trimester--and not be noticed by anyone. It was in June 3, 1934 that the child was born, and the Wallis and the Prince of Wales were told the baby had been born dead. I would think somewhere, in all that has been written of the Windsors, that a notice or mention, of Wallis being pregnant--especially in the last month or two--would go unnoticed ! I know she was a very slim lady, and often pregnancies in thin women are easy to conceal. This is quite a fascinating story !
Old 03-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher35 View Post
What I don't understand, is how Wallis could be pregnant-especially in the 3rd trimester--and not be noticed by anyone. It was in June 3, 1934 that the child was born, and the Wallis and the Prince of Wales were told the baby had been born dead. I would think somewhere, in all that has been written of the Windsors, that a notice or mention, of Wallis being pregnant--especially in the last month or two--would go unnoticed ! I know she was a very slim lady, and often pregnancies in thin women are easy to conceal. This is quite a fascinating story !
Wasn't there an opera with the same sort of story going on?
If Miss Elizabeth thinks she is the Windsor's love child, she ought to get a DNA test and have done with it. (Wouldn't THAT flip the Windsor's cookies VM if she WERE?)
Old 03-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Heir Apparent

One reason the photos are similar is that pictures are shown with people in similar poses. One of the sons even grew his facial hair to resemble Prince Albert's! Elizabeth has been discussed in this thread: Exposing Imposters

When I read the website, what struck me was the "clues" in the jewellery and so on. That's the thing about conspiracy theories--which this lady's story is: a person has a preformed conclusion, and then finds the evidence they want. So she finds all these threes, which seems to back up the theory that there was a child. Then she finds underlines which spell out "mom" in Morse Code. Actually, being British, I think that David (as the Duke of Windsor was known to his family), would have spelled out "Mummy" or "Mum."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher35 View Post
The photos are extremely similar. What I don't understand, is how Wallis could be pregnant-especially in the 3rd trimester--and not be noticed by anyone.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Wasn't there an opera with the same sort of story going on?
If Miss Elizabeth thinks she is the Windsor's love child, she ought to get a DNA test and have done with it. (Wouldn't THAT flip the Windsor's cookies VM if she WERE?)
Russo my dear,

That would cause some consternation but since Edward VIIi renounced the throne for himself and his descendants, the poor lady will just be kissin' cousin to the Royal Family.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not to indulge that theory, but it's impossible for her to get a DNA test without a confirmed relative giving a sample for hers to be compared to, and there aren't all that many people out there who would be able to give such a sample (and I doubt any of them would). (It would have to be someone with a supposed common ancestor who is within four or five generations of both of them; or more narrowly it could be anyone with a direct matrilineal line to any of Wallis's matrilineal ancestors.)
Old 03-05-2011, 05:39 AM
Aristocracy

Hello Teacher 35, and welcome. The Windsors certainly are addictive. In response to your question about a possible child, firstly I can think of no reason why a couple who are madly in love would wish to permanently offload the product of their love, nannies being more readily available then than now, although of course, we must remember we are speaking of two supremely self obsessed people.......however I consider this to be hyperthetical because there is reason to believe that after suffering mumps in his teens, further complicated by orchitis, the Duke was sterile. Bloch tells us that Wallis' birth was left unregistered for the longest possible time because there was some confusion about her gender. It is possible that she was an hermaphrodite. I believe ASI is the most recent theory. Maybe the term "intersex" is applied to these conditions. Either way conception is unlikely to be possible- given that she had a fertile partner. We also have her own assertation, given on the morning of her marriage with David, that she had not had sexual intercourse with either of her two previous husbands - a sudden thought! Might this have been the reason/excuse for Spencers' drinking and his physical abuse of her? She also reportedly said that "no one touched her below the Maginot line" Was it possible that she deliberately withheld certain truths from these men? History tells us little of any of her then living family, save Aunt Bessie of whom she was fond, but this doesn't rule out wider family and likenesses will throw up down the generations. My feeling is that we have here a very sad, psychologically complicated couple who were wholly unsuited for anybody save each other. It seems to have been a relationship of such high dependency as to be stiffling, but being needed can be a powerful and heady experience and nobody could need her as much as David.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I am not talking about her jewells, they are mind boggeling,
I mean her lingerie and handbags, which are being sold now
Check this out. Now tell me you don't want that handbag and those shoes!

As the Duchess of Windsor's fabulous outfits go under the hammer, we reveal the secrets of Wallis's wardrobe | Mail Online
Old 03-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:
She wasn't what I would call an attractive woman by an stretch of the imagination (IMO)... and I am not one of her admirers at all (other than the fact she saved England from a horse's behind of a monarch), but she did have a certain air of style... and it fit her perfectly. She always chose flattering outfits of the best quality! She wasn't, in my opinion, classy or refined... like her sister-in-law, Princess Marina - the epitome of class..... but Wallis definitely knew how to dress!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

This year is 25 years since the death of the Duchess of Windsor,Wallis Simpson.With this sad occasion,some events are supposed to be organized.
First of all,Madonna's movie on Wallis is on the way to appear.
The 2 new biographies will appear soon as well:
"Behind closed doors,the tragic untold story of the Duchess of Windsor"(Hugo Vickers)
"That woman,the life of Wallis Simpson ,duchess of Windsor"(Anne Sebba)
25ème année de la disparition de la duchesse de Windsor | Noblesse & Royautés

Tags
abdication, britain, duchess of windsor, duke of windsor, edward viii, king edward viii, wallis simpson