The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Nobility

Didn't Hitler want to kidnap them to set the Duke up as a puppet king when Hitler "won"....? Hitler really was a warped individual.
The files have been released, from what I have been able to gather. Von Ribbentrop is mentioned in them... as is the Mussolini's son-in-law, whom Wallis was reported to be linked with.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Yes, I believe Hitler did want that.

And if I recall correctly, didn't David give a speech or in some way let it be known that he wouldn't have a problem taking over from his brother if that was the case? That by itself is treason I believe.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Yes, I believe Hitler did want that.

And if I recall correctly, didn't David give a speech or in some way let it be known that he wouldn't have a problem taking over from his brother if that was the case? That by itself is treason I believe.
I think you are right, Zonk. I really have to find that National Geographic special I watched the other day...
It was called "Britain's Nazi King" or something like that... I am sure On Demand has it & I'll watch it tomorrow and take notes!!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Its amazing how he wondered why the BRF (namely the King and Queen Elizabeth) didn't want him back in the country undermining them.

I mean, really!

Old 01-31-2011, 01:28 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

It is true that the Nazi's had promised David that when Great Britain was conquered by Germany, David would be reinstated to the Throne. David, for his part, robustly agreed. The British Govt. and King George were aware of the coziness between the couple and Nazi regime and that's part of the reason David was made Governor of the Bahamas to get the couple as far away from Britain and Europe as possible, but to be able to keep wraps on them.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Nobility

According the "Britain's Nazi King", a National Geographic documentary... British Intelligence began trailing David (then PofW) and Wallis as early as 1935... Wallis was supposed to have had an affair with a Mr Trundle, a car salesman, at the beginning of her affair with the PofW. Also, Joachim von Ribbentropp was suppose to have sent Wallis 17 carnations every day while he was in London - as a reminder of the number of times they slept together.
The US government has officially released a 200+ page file on the Windsors - and was pretty descriptive about some of the Duke and Wallis' associated: Lady Emerald Cunard, a Mr Moseley (leader of the British Fascist movement).....

(More to come - I had to get back to work)
Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was good documentary hed have made a TERRIBLE Monarch
Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 PM
Serene Highness

It seems like those who don't know much about the monarchy either see their story as a great love story, or that Wallis was a total gold digger. They don't know how selfish Edward and childish was. I've heard Wallis treated him more like a son, controlling him in a way Queen Mary never could it seems. At the same time, like they mentioned in "The King's Speech," Wallis was rumored to have a "special" hold on him with her, ahem, "skills."
Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 PM
Serene Highness

Wallis was indeed clever and manipulating, I agree. She was exactly the sort of woman David craved. The funny thing was, David was a terrific Prince of Wales and a crummy King.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
It seems like those who don't know much about the monarchy either see their story as a great love story, or that Wallis was a total gold digger. They don't know how selfish Edward and childish was. I've heard Wallis treated him more like a son, controlling him in a way Queen Mary never could it seems. At the same time, like they mentioned in "The King's Speech," Wallis was rumored to have a "special" hold on him with her, ahem, "skills."
Well stated....."They don't know how selfish Edward and childish was."

And there are some of us who know a good deal about the subject who still think, among the many descriptive terms for her, she was a gold digger!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Oh I definitely think she was a gold digger.

She was quite prepared to remain Mrs. Simpson, the power behind the throne when David became King. I think she either knew her days were over when he became King or married someone suitable. She didn't have a problem with the jewels and the power of being known as the King's "friend."

And I agree, that David was a great Prince of Wales and a horrible King. He couldn't see anything beyond Wallis. He wanted the privilege and money associated with his birthright but didn't have time for the "minor things" associated with his birthright. Couldn't open a facility in Abderdeen but could ride into town to pick up Wallis at the train. What a mess he was. And he couldn't see past what was due Wallis (her HRH)...couldn't look at the big picture.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She was quite prepared to remain Mrs. Simpson, the power behind the throne when David became King. I think she either knew her days were over when he became King or married someone suitable. She didn't have a problem with the jewels and the power of being known as the King's "friend."

I agree, and when he abdicated to marry "The woman I love" what in the world was she supposed to do? Dump him?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I agree, and when he abdicated to marry "The woman I love" what in the world was she supposed to do? Dump him?
Well, don't forget he already talked to her husband about the end of their (Ernest and Wallis) marriage and the beginning of theirs (Wallis and David). Which unless she and David had that discussion before and they agreed that they wanted to marry and they agreed that David should talk to Ernest (and I don't believe that they did) thats kind of arrogant to have that discussion IMO.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think that Wallis was so evil creature or that she was connected to Nazis,I just believe she was not so deep person,she was a kind of "living-today".I really feel pity for her when I remember her latest saddest years of life,after the Duke's death.It would have been better for her if she had adopted a child,she wouldn't have suffered of such a great solitude.
I can't wait to watch Madonna's movie about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.I wonder when it will be released.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaLandgrave View Post
The US government has officially released a 200+ page file on the Windsors - and was pretty descriptive about some of the Duke and Wallis' associated: Lady Emerald Cunard, a Mr Moseley (leader of the British Fascist movement).....

(More to come - I had to get back to work)
Was this the same Mosley who married Diana Mitford Guinness, the great beauty of her generation?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
Was this the same Mosley who married Diana Mitford Guinness, the great beauty of her generation?

YES! One in the same.. she was married to Sir Oswald Mosely, leader of the British Fascists - her second marriage, in 1936, took place at the home of Joseph Goebbels, with Hitler as guest of honour.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Well, don't forget he already talked to her husband about the end of their (Ernest and Wallis) marriage and the beginning of theirs (Wallis and David). Which unless she and David had that discussion before and they agreed that they wanted to marry and they agreed that David should talk to Ernest (and I don't believe that they did) thats kind of arrogant to have that discussion IMO.
Wallis wrote David a letter, not after he became king, calling their affair off....
a play to get her more entrenched, I think!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaLandgrave View Post
Wallis wrote David a letter, not after he became king, calling their affair off....
a play to get her more entrenched, I think!
I kind of think that was a fake out move. Her "letter" was a reaction to Hardinge (or maybe someone else) suggesting the story of the David Wallis affair was getting ready to break in the English press and Hardinge (or maybe it was someone else) That Wallis should go abroad without delay.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Nobility

Definitely a move to entrench her more in David - the man who has it all can't have this woman..... she was crafty & David so dim-witted.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
An agreement was made with Ernest Simpson and he was paid an agreed amount of equiv. $100,000 (lot of money in those times) to finalize the divorce.

Tags
abdication, britain, duchess of windsor, duke of windsor, edward viii, king edward viii, wallis simpson