The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Last of the off topic: reading bio. on Pam Churchill "Reflected Glory". In 1938 she went to Paris and Munich for finishing school. When Lady Digby (Pam's mother) objected to her hostess, a certain Countess something or other, about the anti-Semetic propaganda, she told her to hush, lest somebody was there listening. An english gal named Sarah Norton, I believe WAS sent home from Munich as she was caught taking down anti-Semetic material.
You can't tell me that people didn't know something awful was going on. There just weren't enough Sarah Norton's to go around. And I don't believe Wallis and Edward were any different. People always SAY they would react differently, however, unless faced with the decision to ACT we do not know what they would do.
David was not King, he never had to ACT on any rumors or confirmation of the Holocaust.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Aristocracy

It might have been easier if one was a foreigner. You mustn't forget that people in Germany, and after the annexation Austria too, weren't living in democracy or monarchy. They were living in a dictatorship. They didn't have TV, their papers were controlled by the party, listening to foreign radio stations like BBC could have brought you to prison very easily. When my father once went to a party in Vienna, he was famous for being outspoken, and said that he thought "this Hitler is a miserable ***hole", someone came to him and replied: "Say this again and I'll tell it to the Gestapo." Some knew, some didn't, some didn't want to know. I think it depends on where you lived, if you lived in a large city, like Berlin or Vienna, you could have known certain details. A lot of the not so interested, not so well educated people on the countryside, far away from concentration camps, supposably didn't know. I've heard stories of people who said that their Jewish friends disappeared and yes, they knew something awful was going on, but they never thought they'd be killed. And I know Jews who tell me they believe the Americans knew what was going on, but they didn't help them. It's an endless and complicated story, I was born in 1946 and I'm questioning and studying this time for more than thirty years now.

Back on topic. I think someone like Edward could have known what happened in Germany if he had wanted to. But I'm not too sure, perhaps he wouldn't have believed those rumours either.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The royal jewel thieves: The REAL story behind the gems given by a besotted Duke of Windsor to a grasping Wallis Simpson - which this week fetched record prices | Mail Online

There is a TV show on Channel 4 called Any Human Heart, it details the life of Logan Mountstuart and how he looks after The Duke and Duchess of Windsor in the Bahamas and Spain.

It portrays them as very vindictive, talks a lot about the Duke laundering money from countries and even that he tried to have someone murdered.

The Duke is played by Tom Hollander.
The Duchess is played by Gillian Anderson.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I have question for everyone, do you think that if allowed following the abdication and the marriage, do you think it was possible for the Windsor to come back to England and assume roles as junior members of the Royal Family.
From what I have read about them, no. They effectively held a court wherever they were, and I think they would never have wanted to appear "second best" to the King and Queen. They showed no tendency (until Wallis left part of her estate to charity) to do any charity work, and isn't that pretty much what junior members of the Royal Family do? I think it's likely there would have been a lot of squabbling and jostling for place, and two competing courts. And supporters would have surrounded them who believed he was still the rightful King. Wasn't that the carrot Hitler dangled in front of them, that he would put Edward back on the throne, and they found that idea attractive? I think it would have been a disaster if they had been allowed to live in Britain after abdicating.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Those times there wasn't a tendency to do charitywork at all,so we cannot blamae the Duke and Wallis for this matter
Old 12-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
Those times there wasn't a tendency to do charitywork at all,so we cannot blamae the Duke and Wallis for this matter
During those times, there was VERY much a tendency to do charity work. There were quite a number of royal ladies (and non royal ladies as well) who did charity work. And really, that is just an excuse IMO. IF you want to do something to help people, does it matter if no one else does it? You should do it anyway.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes,maybe Wallis didn't think about it or wasn't serious enough.As I've understood Wallis had a very sad life after the death of her husband,as she had no children or close relatives.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Yes,maybe Wallis didn't think about it or wasn't serious enough.As I've understood Wallis had a very sad life after the death of her husband,as she had no children or close relatives.
I have never been much of a fan of Wallis, but the photo of her sad face in his funeral procession did touch my heart -- she looked so lost, and I know what it is like to be widowed. I never hated her or anything, but that doesn't mean I think she and Edward would have made a good King and Queen.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Yes, it is sad when a husband/wife leaves a spouse. But the same thing happened to the Queen Mother.

And both of them had relatives, its just thru their actions...they became the everything to each other. Wallis didn't even attend her Aunt Bessiewallis 100th birthday celebration...and she was there for her thru thick and thin.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEliza View Post
I have never been much of a fan of Wallis, but the photo of her sad face in his funeral procession did touch my heart -- she looked so lost, and I know what it is like to be widowed. I never hated her or anything, but that doesn't mean I think she and Edward would have made a good King and Queen.
I think if Wallis and Edward had had a child ,he would have probably claimed his rights to the throne
Old 12-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I think if Wallis and Edward had had a child ,he would have probably claimed his rights to the throne
That is not true.

When Edward abdicated the throne, he also abdicated the throne for any children he might have had with Wallis. According to the Act of Abdication:

Any future descendants of Edward VIII would, however, not have a claim to the throne and would not be bound by the Royal Marriages Act 1772.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Do not forget your Queen Mary quote: "You are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals."
Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Yes, it is sad when a husband/wife leaves a spouse. But the same thing happened to the Queen Mother.

And both of them had relatives, its just thru their actions...they became the everything to each other. Wallis didn't even attend her Aunt Bessiewallis 100th birthday celebration...and she was there for her thru thick and thin.
You're right, it happened to the Queen Mother too -- and sooner than it happened to Wallis.

Yes, now that you mention it, I do remember reading about that once, that Wallis did not visit her Aunt Bessiewallis at that time. I have always had this impression that Wallis and Edward(David) were very self-absorbed.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEliza View Post
You're right, it happened to the Queen Mother too -- and sooner than it happened to Wallis.
Don't forget that Queen Mother had 2 daughters ,Wallis had no children and just few friends,the Duke was her breath and sense of life
Old 12-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Serene Highness

Iconic couples: Wallis Simpson and Edward VIII

Iconic couples: Wallis Simpson and Edward VIII - hellomagazine.com
Old 12-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Gentry

Check out this interview with the Windsors from the BBC.

There's some interesting things they talk about.
So long and goodnight...
Old 12-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Aristocracy

So I was browsing the "Royal House of Fashion" section looking for a topic on Wallis and was surprised to discover there wasn't one available there for her. I may just have to create one!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Serene Highness

Why not Wallis?

Apparently Churchill said, "why shouldn't the King marry his tootsie?" and a courtier (or someone) replied, "because the British public does not want a Queen tootsie".

Another story is that if a man said in a pub, "I slept with the Queen of England," that every other man there would beat him senseless. Whereas, with Wallis, who had two ex-husbands, no similar rejoinder would be possible.

I don't know if these stories are other than apocryphal, and I can't produce links, but I have read them in more than one place. Does anyone else recall these anecdotes?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Administrator

I have heard of the first one...though my version had the term cutie. Because the British public doesn't want a Queen Cutie. I recall reading that in the Royal Fued.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I have heard of the first one...though my version had the term cutie. Because the British public doesn't want a Queen Cutie. I recall reading that in the Royal Fued.
Thanks, I knew tootsie didn't sound exactly right. I'm still looking for a link for the other comment; I suppose it could have been in a movie or a novel.

I agree with all who believe that Wallis did the country a favor when she got "David" out of the picture. But I did have a bit of sympathy for her when I read Wallis and Edward by Michael Bloch, a book of letters between the two of them. It was obvious that he loved her more than she did him, and it seemed that she really didn't want to marry him. She sort of got stuck and had to follow through, regardless of her own feelings. Oh, well, she stuck with him to the end, anyway.

Did you know that their country home outside Paris is now available as a vacation rental property? I rather think they would have hated that!

Rent the Duke & Duchess of Windsor’s Country Retreat

Tags
abdication, britain, duchess of windsor, duke of windsor, edward viii, king edward viii, wallis simpson