The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-22-2009, 05:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

It comes as no surprise to me. He did have a high opinion of himself. However he should have realised that there were plenty of people, including Elizabeth's own mother - the same woman who caused him so much grief, who were just as concerned to limit the Mountbatten influence.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:19 AM
Majesty

Not the least of whom was Philip himself who was very determined that he wouldn't play the Prince Albert role and that immediately reduced and potential Mountbatten influence.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Administrator

As more and more information about the Windsor come to light, its just not pretty. Mind you, there were a lot of people who didn't at right in the situation, but their negatives seem to outweigh those of the others.

What a totally selfish man! You couldn't do the job before, couldn't get an HRH for your wife, but you thought they (the royal family and the government) would just let you and the wife sail back into Britain, and establish regency. How delusional!

Old 11-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

That article sounds interesting, and believeable. The fact that he believed that the BRF would invite him back to be King makes me chuckle.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Since I have become unemployed, I have renewed my interest in the early Windsors and purchased several books.

So far I have read, THe Duchess of Windsor: Her secret Life; The Woman He Loved; The Windsor Story; The Duchess of Windsor: The Uncommon Life of Wallis Windsor, as well as Edward: The People's King. I am waiting my copy of Edward VIII by Frances Donaldson (I love Half.com) and based upon my readings, the Windsor were definitely angry at the British Royal Family. Some of it was justified in my opinion: the refusal to give Wallis an HRH title. Although I do understand why they didn't, they thought the marriage wouldn't last as long and once it showed signs of doing so, they couldn't go back and admit they were wrong.

Edward did want to go back to England and I can understand why...it was his homeland. The problem is that he didn't know how to act and to them he was like a loose cannon, who they couldn't control. If he had acted with a little bit of common sense and realized that he was no longer King and shown a little of deference it might have been different.

But it shows how out there he was. If King George VI died, the Duke of Gloucester woud have acted as Regent, that's one of the reasons he came back from Australia. Moreover, considering that the Windsor's were considered Nazi's supporters, there was no way the government was going to let him be the Regent. Simply delusional.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
although there weren't many details, here's the story in a nutshell:

A lady from Ontario, Canada, that passed away several years ago, claims that she was married to the Duke of Windsor for a brief period. She also claims to have given birth to a child that he fathered during the marriage. The child was taken away and she never heard anything about it again and the marriage "disappeared". She always told people that she couldn't talk about it but after her death everything would be revealed. The night she died, her home was broken into and ALL of her personal papers were stolen and never found. Family members say that they have seen pictures of her with the Duke and that they also remember seeing correspondence from Buckingham Palace. The timing would be right as the Duke had a ranch in Canada at the time. None of this has ever been proven...or disproven.
This story has been circulating for years . I wish there was a way we could prove or disprove the thing.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Now Jaya.....if we could approve or disprove the theory.....where's the fun in that This story reminds me of the man who swears he is the child of Princess Margaret and Peter Townsend.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Majesty

The Duke of Windsor could have 'married' as many women as he liked while Prince of Wales but it wouldn't have been a legal marriage without the consent of the King (George V) or the consent of the parliament with a years notification (or more correctly without the objection of either House of Parliament) once he turned 25. As a result any child would be illegitimate and would receive no official position.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I thank her for taking him away and allowing a man who knew what it meant to be royal - duty before self - to become a wonderful king and then allowing us to have the marvellous queen that we have had for nearly 60 years.
Amen to that! the way I see it she did us a favour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Its hard to get an objective book on the Windsors.
very true, both books I've read so far seems to be pro duke and duchess..but I think I'll check out half.com and read more books on them.
Quote:
Between the Church's concerns and the government's desires to get rid of him Wallis and her divorces was an opportunity that was grabbed with both hands and it was presented to the public as a reason to get rid of him. The various governments of the empire that also had to be consulted also weren't keen on Edward as King or Wallis as a future Queen and went along with the divorce situation as an excuse.
I agree Iuvbertie, also they(edward and wallis)gave the government more of an excuse by being nazi sympathisers..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Bessiewallis didnīt want him to abdicate, I donīt think for one moment that she was thinking for "the sake of Britain" I think that she was enjoying herself as the mistress of the King and would have welcomed being the power behind the throne, and she would have been as she dominated him completely.
I think she had a nice little life planned for herself and it just didnīt work out, he was so obsessed he had to marry her and as soon as possible.
agreed.
Quote:
She was (for all appearances) content being the power behind the throne. I don't think anyone had ever told Edward No before. He just assumed (and really why wouldn't he other than history) he could marry her.After the abdication they were stuck with each other. But I think they were content (enjoyed each other's company). They both thought they got a raw deal from the Establishment. But really, even though it was a harsh decision (many would and do consider it to have been petty and mean). There wasn't another way to handle it. No one and I mean NO ONE had ever had to deal with anything like this before.
yup I think Edward made a rash decidion to give it all up, but it seems as though he never got over the fact that he was no longer King i.e. the open political stance, wanting to "go back" to England and "help" his brother George..it's sad that he was so nieve.
Quote:
...Moreover, considering that the Windsor's were considered Nazi's supporters, there was no way the government was going to let him be theRegent.Simply delusional.
I agree with you on that last sentence..I must order those.they sound like some good reading.
Quote:
The Duke of Windsor could have 'married' as many women as he liked while Prince of Wales but it wouldn't have been a legal marriage...
very true iluvbertie.. I enjoy all of your posts this thread has been an interesting read.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:56 AM

did anyone see this documentary on edward VIII the traitor king? there is a 11 part series on youtube..here's part one
Old 03-14-2010, 01:28 AM
Aristocracy

Plantagenet Ancestry?

Descendant of Edward III and Philippa of Hainault through her father Wallis Warfield, son of Henry Mactier Warfield, son of Daniel Warfield, son of Ariana Dorsey, daughter of Henry Dorsey, son of Captain Joshua Dorsey, son of Sarah Wyatt b. 1657, daughter of Nicholas Wyatt, son of Hawte Wyatt, son of Sir George Wyatt, son of Sir Thomas Wyatt 'the younger', son of Lady Elizabeth Brooke, daughter of Thomas 3rd Baron of Cobham Brooke, son of Baroness Margaret of Cobham Neville, daughter of Edward of Abergavenny Neville, son of Joan Countess of Westmoreland Beaufort, daughter of Prince John of Gaunt Plantagenet, son of King Edward III of England Plantagenet and Queen Consort Philippa of Hainault.

Can anyone confirm this or did I get it all wrong?

Old 03-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Aristocracy

I can't confirm this but I am very curious if that is true. Very interesting!!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 AM
Administrator

An old report from 2003 with some interesting detail.

Car dealer was Wallis Simpson's secret lover | UK news | The Guardian

Intro:

Wallis Simpson kept a secret lover - a Ford car salesman - while conducting a passionate affair with the future King Edward VIII, according to special branch files that reveal she was under close surveillance. Long before the abdication crisis broke in 1936, detectives were trailing Mrs Simpson through London high society in an attempt to discover more about the American woman who had captured the Prince of Wales's affections.

The revelation is buried in 100 files about the abdication of Edward VIII and the government's subsequent relations with him. The papers are released today following the death last year of the saga's last big player, the Queen Mother.

Although the papers will not radically alter historical accounts of the abdication they certainly add colour and background detail. They do not substantiate long-held rumours that the government compiled the so-called China dossier on Mrs Simpson's sex life in the 1920s, or that she and the duke were substantial Nazi sympathisers. Nor do they confirm that the Queen Mother was instrumental in forcing the couple out of the country.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Meg View Post
Descendant of Edward III and Philippa of Hainault through her father Wallis Warfield...
I think you should go to www.geneall.net you will find under the Duke of Windsor that Bessiewallis was descended from William the Conqueror but through her motherīs Montague side of the family, nothing about any illustrious descendance through the Warfields.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Aristocracy

So there is no connection to Sarah Wyatt? Perhaps it was never documented? There are many ways people can be connected to Edward III. I will check this site out - but can anyone else confirm Sarah Wyatt's ancestors?

Also, does this site have the Montague line? I have tried to find her connection to the Montague's, but there is no site that goes back that far. Also, I have to sign up to access this....

Old 05-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posts discussing claims made by 'Elizabeth Windsor Cragg' have been moved to the Exposing Imposters thread in Royal Genealogy.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Courtier

[QUOTE=Lady Meg;1060946]

I have looked carefully through Bessiewallisīs Montague ancestors and I find no connection. In 1750īs a Montague married a Jane Daniel, and it was she who had royal descendance but in a very roundabout way. I could find no Wyatt, but I can keep looking.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Serene Highness

Did the Duke of Windsor start a nudist trend?

I am currently reading my Sunday Chicago Tribune and Rick Steves' column in the Travel section today is about Europe's attitude towards public nudity as shown by advertising billboards, saunas, Turkish baths and beaches. Steves writes that Edward VIII visited what is now Croatia in 1936 and wanted an all over tan, so the King followed the proper channels to have a beach on the island of Rab designated for nudists. Does anyone know more about this?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Aristocracy

Yes, I have read about that in a few books. Why not? I think such things were trendy in the upper class which wanted to be a bit bohemian. The thirties were much more open minded in Europe than we would imagine today.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Commoner

Theoretical question about the late Duke of Windsor

Or more specifically..any offspring of the late Duke.

Lets say for example a young man were to exist today who could prove he was the legitimate grandson of the Duke. Would he be entitled to the same rights and priviliges as other male line grandsons of a sovereign? Would he be considered part of the Royal Family? I understand he would not be eligible to succeed to the throne but would he be an HRH?

I am researching for a paper I'm writing...thanks

Tags
abdication, britain, duchess of windsor, duke of windsor, edward viii, king edward viii, wallis simpson