The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 02-04-2008, 01:03 AM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
I think Charles married against his "type" in that Diana, though beautiful, wasn't very bright. Though she got very clever later on, she still wasn't interested in the intellectual pursuits that Charles had.
Andrew, well, I don't know about that. I did think they were "suited" but when Sarah cracked up, well, that showed she was weak.
I have read in several biographies on the Royal Family that Charles was concerned about the mettle of his future spouse, they had to have it as they would be in the spot light for the rest of their life.
Andrew is still forming his life. Charles had his life and duties pretty much mapped out for him. Now Andrew is into the International Business Trade and his life and tastes, I'm sure are changing.
Would they (the families) have stopped the wedding? Not on your life! Talk about publicity! They were THE events of the century to attend!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 02-04-2008, 01:41 AM
Lakshmi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: *, United States
Posts: 1,226
I think that Andrew and Sarah were quite good match. Aren't they in good realtion even after divorce?
As for Diana and Charles, it was unfortunate combination. I think Diana was the weaker part of that union. She was way too young to marry into royal family, not very educated, not too ambitious to get more education. She was a beautiful flower, people loved her, her style etc. but it was not enough to bring Charles happines. Camilla is a perfect match.
__________________

__________________
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.''
Eleanor Roosevelt

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 02-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I think that he was pressured into a marriage with Diana--she was from a good family, had royal blood (arguably more than Charles!) and there was a strong family connection. Both families had orchestrated this match--Diana's grandmother was the Queen Mum's lady-in-waiting!
The Spencers had for years, tried to advance themselves higher up the food chain, IMO, they drummed it in to Diana's head for years that this was the ultimate goal. I also believe it was the reason that Fermoy testified against her daughter at the custody hearing.

I did read a story that the media pursued Diana in a bid to 'force' Charles to propose. I will have a look for the article, perhaps that was why Diana was so close to Edwards & Kay?

With Andrew and Sarah, I think they would have made better friends than marriage partners, but in those days () it would have been frowned upon, hence they fell into the 'lets get married, all our friends are doing it' brigade.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 02-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Judging by the array of photographs of Prince Andrew, Duke of York strewn across Sarah, Duchess of York's Manhattan apartment, I think the two are very good friends. Infact, they have never presented themselves otherwise...
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 02-04-2008, 08:46 AM
kimebear's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, United States
Posts: 1,382
I definitely think Charles and Diana were both pressured into the marriage. Charles more so than Diana, but both nevertheless. What looked attractive beforehand became less so as the day approached. Andrew and Sarah, I don't know about. I believe that the Queen was getting a little impatient to see Andrew settle down and at the beginning she was quite fond of Sarah. If it hadn't been a royal marriage they most likely would still be married. Sarah was not cut out for the constant scrutiny that comes with being a member of the royal family. Nor was she prepared for the loneliness that can accompany being married to man in the military. It can certainly be argued that they have the world's most amicable divorce. Andrew gave an interview just the other day praising Sarah for being the one that keeps their daughters grounded and down to earth. He also implied that royal life was not kind to her and I think he feels a great deal of guilt about that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Plymouth, United States
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Actually, Ysbel, you are right. But their families encouraged them That is the really upsetting thing. Diana was to young to marry someone where the responsilbilities and life change was that dramatic. Her father should have cautioned her not to do this. His parents should have looked at the big picture. But none of them cared, except to get what they felt needed to be done, done. The Spencers felt it was a feather in their cap and the Windsors thought they got a beautiful, docile, breeding machine. Chaste, that was their criteria and aritocratic. The best of all worlds. Everyone would be happy, except the bride and groom. Charles was just as much a victim as Diana in this charade. His age gave him the advantage of being a little more worldly, but he could not stand up against his father, least his mother.
I totally agree with this. For the Spencers it was a probably the dream of generations; a Spencer will sit on the British throne. Spencer blood will forever run through every remaining British monarch (for as long as there are British monarchs). And like Countess pointed out, the BRF found someone without a past to rise up one day and bit them in the arse (if only they could have foreseen what did happen), she was of the right breeding and blood and she was quite pretty. It was a match made in aristocratic heaven.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 02-04-2008, 10:51 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Glenn Close in that movie was a one night stand!
She was the onenight stand that went bonkers. I'm sure alot of men thought twice about having affairs after seeing this movie.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 02-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
She was the onenight stand that went bonkers. I'm sure alot of men thought twice about having affairs after seeing this movie.
It actually was a one-weekend stand. I have the movie. And I'm not sad to say that I'm glad she gets it in the end. Though Michael Douglas was lucky Ann Archer didn't turn the gun on him as well!!!
But comparing Diana to that, though I've read she was bad enough, or rather childish--those phone calls to what was his name Oliver Hoare?? is a little much.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 02-05-2008, 03:51 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
But comparing Diana to that, though I've read she was bad enough, or rather childish--those phone calls to what was his name Oliver Hoare?? is a little much.
I'm quite sure Diana would never have hurt a bunny and she certainly didn't deserve a bullet, but I'm also sure that there were times when Diana was in the throes of one of her famous tantrums that Charles wished she would just disappear into thin air and give him peace, and Oliver Hoare probably thought the same thing when it wasn't safe to answer the phone. She exhibited some behaviours that were a tad more than childish, and needed a lot of counselling, IMO.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 02-05-2008, 08:34 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
It actually was a one-weekend stand. I have the movie. And I'm not sad to say that I'm glad she gets it in the end. Though Michael Douglas was lucky Ann Archer didn't turn the gun on him as well!!!
But comparing Diana to that, though I've read she was bad enough, or rather childish--those phone calls to what was his name Oliver Hoare?? is a little much.
Actually its curious that you say that you're glad she got it in the end. The movie was originally cut to show more of Close's emotional turmoil and the original ending had her committing suicide as a result of her world crashing in on her so her emotional turmoil and her humanity was more evident in the original. I believe it was based on a European (maybe German) movie about an affair gone wrong.

However, audiences at the initial screening didn't want to understand the human nature of Glenn Close's character, they wanted someone evil they could hate and who the hero defeated in the end. So the directors changed the script and Michael Douglas killed her and became a hero although to my mind he was the only real jerk for starting it all and then realizing that Glenn Close was mental and not calling the authorities or mental health services. .

That's what I was saying about what Charles reputation would be if Camilla had been his wife and Diana his mistress. If Diana had been his mistress and she had made these harassing calls to Charles like she did with Oiliver Hoare, Diana, as a mistress, would have been villified by the public for harassing Charles even if she had had some of the same problems and hurts that make people now so undertstanding and sympathetic to her. In my mind, Charles would have been a real jerk who wanted his stable little wife and a little fun on the side without realizing the fun on the side had dangers and then getting mad and indignant when it turned on him. Diana would have gotten no sympathy in a situation like that although she may have deserved it more in that case because if Charles had seduced her to become his mistress, it would have only taken Charles himself to mislead a young, emotional unstable girl to something unsavoury for the two of them, however, for Charles to ask her to marry him, it required the assent of his family, her family, the government, the press, and the public's goodwill. It was a lot harder for Charles to pull the wool over Diana's eyes in that case because the whole whole was watching.

So there were a lot more opportunities for someone to say no to a royal marriage than it was for someone to say no to a clandestine affair.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 02-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Plymouth, United States
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Actually its curious that you say that you're glad she got it in the end. The movie was originally cut to show more of Close's emotional turmoil and the original ending had her committing suicide as a result of her world crashing in on her so her emotional turmoil and her humanity was more evident in the original. I believe it was based on a European (maybe German) movie about an affair gone wrong.

However, audiences at the initial screening didn't want to understand the human nature of Glenn Close's character, they wanted someone evil they could hate and who the hero defeated in the end. So the directors changed the script and Michael Douglas killed her and became a hero although to my mind he was the only real jerk for starting it all and then realizing that Glenn Close was mental and not calling the authorities or mental health services. .

That's what I was saying about what Charles reputation would be if Camilla had been his wife and Diana his mistress. If Diana had been his mistress and she had made these harassing calls to Charles like she did with Oiliver Hoare, Diana, as a mistress, would have been villified by the public for harassing Charles even if she had had some of the same problems and hurts that make people now so undertstanding and sympathetic to her. In my mind, Charles would have been a real jerk who wanted his stable little wife and a little fun on the side without realizing the fun on the side had dangers and then getting mad and indignant when it turned on him. Diana would have gotten no sympathy in a situation like that although she may have deserved it more in that case because if Charles had seduced her to become his mistress, it would have only taken Charles himself to mislead a young, emotional unstable girl to something unsavoury for the two of them, however, for Charles to ask her to marry him, it required the assent of his family, her family, the government, the press, and the public's goodwill. It was a lot harder for Charles to pull the wool over Diana's eyes in that case because the whole whole was watching.

So there were a lot more opportunities for someone to say no to a royal marriage than it was for someone to say no to a clandestine affair.
I thought Ann Archer's character killed her. I viewed it that it put her - the cheated-on wife - in control of the whole situation at the end. The irony! As for Diana being that psychotic, no way. I think she was immature and naive when it came to relationships. If you look at her history, she behaves more like a love-struck teenager in a mad crush than a mature 'together' woman. I also think her parents horrible relationship and the subsequent abandonment (loss of custody) by her mother affected her view on relationships.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 02-05-2008, 10:37 AM
jcbcode99's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Richmond Area, United States
Posts: 1,980
I agree with Bella--I think Diana had some issues, she was immature and made bad decisons--was a bit spoiled and impulsive...but I don't think she would have boiled a bunny. Not her style.
__________________
Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 02-05-2008, 12:49 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
It actually was a one-weekend stand. I have the movie. And I'm not sad to say that I'm glad she gets it in the end. Though Michael Douglas was lucky Ann Archer didn't turn the gun on him as well!!!
But comparing Diana to that, though I've read she was bad enough, or rather childish--those phone calls to what was his name Oliver Hoare?? is a little much.
I wasn't comparing Diana to Glenn Close's character. Its just the whole entire situation with Charles, Diana, and Camilla reminded me of the movie...
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 02-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I wasn't comparing Diana to Glenn Close's character. Its just the whole entire situation with Charles, Diana, and Camilla reminded me of the movie...
Now see what happens when you do that? You get a GAZILLION other interpretations!! HA!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 02-05-2008, 10:36 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
For the record, I don't think Diana would have boiled a bunny but that wasn't my point.

Actually now I think the person that most reminds me of Diana was Katharine Howard in the Six Wives of Henry VIII thread.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 02-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
For the record, I don't think Diana would have boiled a bunny but that wasn't my point.

Actually now I think the person that most reminds me of Diana was Katharine Howard in the Six Wives of Henry VIII thread.
But it makes a lovely rabbit stew!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 02-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Now see what happens when you do that? You get a GAZILLION other interpretations!! HA!
And what some of us remember most about the film is the bunny.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duke of york, marriage, prince andrew, prince charles, prince of wales, relationships


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
list of all the cinderella-type balls princesslily Royal Chit Chat 3 03-15-2006 08:16 PM
Charles and Camilla to Marry cut1me The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 985 10-26-2005 11:55 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess eleonore princess elisabeth princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:02 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]