The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-27-2016, 08:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen and Mrs. Rhodes had so much shared history. May Elizabeth II be comforted in her loss.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:37 AM
Majesty

Who will the Queen turn to now Margaret Rhodes has gone?

Old 12-03-2016, 02:38 AM
Majesty

The Queen's confidante MARGARET RHODES' memoirs show an eccentric childhood | Daily Mail Online
Old 12-03-2016, 03:01 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Thanks eya! I'm glad that the Daily Mail is running a series of excerpts from "The Final Curtsey". I think it is one of the best collection of insights into the private lives of the Windsors over the years coming from someone very close to them.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:24 AM
Gentry

Does anyone know anything about the funeral of Margaret Rhodes? Do you think The Queen will attend?
Old 12-05-2016, 06:43 AM
Majesty

I would be very surprised if the Queen did not attend Margaret's funeral/memorial service because of how close the two women were. I would expect that a lot of the royal family will be in attendance.

I haven't heard anything about dates and times and it obviously isn't something that the media is jumping on. Mrs. Rhodes really had the best of both worlds didn't she? Very close and part of the Queen's inner circle without being hassled by the press.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:45 AM
Serene Highness

next part:
Day the Queen Mum mocked Tony Blair's Cool Britannia | Daily Mail Online
Old 12-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
Does anyone know anything about the funeral of Margaret Rhodes? Do you think The Queen will attend?
Yes I too was wondering had a Funeral date been announced.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I would be very surprised if the Queen did not attend Margaret's funeral/memorial service because of how close the two women were. I would expect that a lot of the royal family will be in attendance.

I haven't heard anything about dates and times and it obviously isn't something that the media is jumping on. Mrs. Rhodes really had the best of both worlds didn't she? Very close and part of the Queen's inner circle without being hassled by the press.
Yes, certainly the queen, and likely her children. Not sure any grandchildren. Perhaps Margaret's kids. But there should be a nice showing of the family.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:33 AM
Majesty

Confessions of the Queen's cousin MARGARET RHODES | Daily Mail Online
Old 12-09-2016, 06:01 PM
Majesty

According to the DailyMail the Queen will attend the funeral this Monday
"The Queen will attend the funeral of her beloved cousin and confidante Margaret Rhodes at Windsor on Monday. Although she rarely goes to such events, she will lead mourners at the Royal Chapel at 3pm as a mark of respect for The Honourable Mrs Rhodes, who died last week aged 91."

Buckingham Palace rolls out no-smoking policy at all royal residences | Daily Mail Online
Old 12-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen's final goodbye to beloved cousin Margaret Rhodes | Daily Mail Online

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-12-2016, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent

From the Court Circular

Buckingham Palace
12th December, 2016
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh were present at the Funeral of the Hon Mrs Rhodes which was held in the Royal Chapel of All Saints, Windsor Great Park, this afternoon.

The Prince of Wales was represented by the Earl of Rosslyn.

The Duke of York was present.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex were present.

The Princess Royal was represented by Captain David Bowes-Lyon.

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester were present.

Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy was present.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-12-2016, 10:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I am confused b the whole represented by thing. They couldn't go. They couldn't go. It's not like the old days with a stand in godparent. Or when the queen misses a ceremony.

Nor the choice, guess Charles makes sense, the earl is master of his household. But why would David Bowes Lyon be there representing Anne? Wouldn't he be there in his own right as a member of Margaret's family?

But nice to see a good showing if the family there. Nice to see some f the Windsor side, Alexandra and Gloucesters, who weren't related
Old 12-13-2016, 06:43 AM
Heir Apparent

You can represent someone and still attend in your own right. It doesn't have to be someone would not have attended if they weren't representing someone.

Charles represented his parents at the memorial service for the Duke of Westminster but he was still there as a close friend of the Duke and still would have been there if he wasn't representing his parents.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:35 AM
Majesty

One thing I think we have to keep in mind is that the release from Buckingham Palace in regards to who attended the funeral of Mrs. Rhodes was actually the "official" notice and the Court Circular type of thing that would happen if the royal family needed to be represented at the funeral of a foreign head of state or a person of note. This is called paying one's last respects.

This funeral was totally different from others in the respect that the royal family was attending a funeral of a woman that was much beloved in their private lives and her death has been a major loss for not only The Queen but for all those in the family that have loved her dearly and will miss her. In this case, it is a family in mourning that have come together to remember the loved one they lost and console each other.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:31 PM
Courtier

Not going to funerals may have more to do with the fact that every minute of her diary is booked months, and in some cases years in advance. I am sure cancellations had to be made in this instance, and QE2 des not like to cancel. By her diary, funerals are very last minute.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
You can represent someone and still attend in your own right. It doesn't have to be someone would not have attended if they weren't representing someone.

Charles represented his parents at the memorial service for the Duke of Westminster but he was still there as a close friend of the Duke and still would have been there if he wasn't representing his parents.
What is the point of 'represented by' you can't attend you can attend. It would be one thing if say Tim went. But yo choose a rando, cousin and say 'oh he us there as a stand in for Anne' seems pointless. Not foes it make an sense. Unless I am missing some bond between the two other than distant family. The man is there for the funeral fur himself. This whole representing doesn't make sense. Thus isn't the funeral of a king they the queen sends someone instead.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
What is the point of 'represented by' you can't attend you can attend. It would be one thing if say Tim went. But yo choose a rando, cousin and say 'oh he us there as a stand in for Anne' seems pointless. Not foes it make an sense. Unless I am missing some bond between the two other than distant family. The man is there for the funeral fur himself. This whole representing doesn't make sense. Thus isn't the funeral of a king they the queen sends someone instead.
David Bowes-Lyon was Margaret Rhodes' 2nd cousin once removed. He wasn't her close relative.

But his wife is Princess Anne's lady-in-waiting. Usually Mrs. David Bowes-Lyon represents Anne at funerals. Sometimes Captain David Bowes-Lyon represents the princess.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:00 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlastairB...41123055939587

Alastair Bruce attended the funeral of the Hon Mrs Rhodes and posted this on twitter including a photograph of the Order of Service.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

God Save The Queen!