Death of Margaret Rhodes, Queen Elizabeth's Cousin: November 25, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Court Circular

Buckingham Palace
12th December, 2016
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh were present at the Funeral of the Hon Mrs Rhodes which was held in the Royal Chapel of All Saints, Windsor Great Park, this afternoon.

The Prince of Wales was represented by the Earl of Rosslyn.

The Duke of York was present.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex were present.

The Princess Royal was represented by Captain David Bowes-Lyon.

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester were present.

Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy was present.

I am confused b the whole represented by thing. They couldn't go. They couldn't go. It's not like the old days with a stand in godparent. Or when the queen misses a ceremony.

Nor the choice, guess Charles makes sense, the earl is master of his household. But why would David Bowes Lyon be there representing Anne? Wouldn't he be there in his own right as a member of Margaret's family?

But nice to see a good showing if the family there. Nice to see some f the Windsor side, Alexandra and Gloucesters, who weren't related :flowers:

You can represent someone and still attend in your own right. It doesn't have to be someone would not have attended if they weren't representing someone.

Charles represented his parents at the memorial service for the Duke of Westminster but he was still there as a close friend of the Duke and still would have been there if he wasn't representing his parents.

One thing I think we have to keep in mind is that the release from Buckingham Palace in regards to who attended the funeral of Mrs. Rhodes was actually the "official" notice and the Court Circular type of thing that would happen if the royal family needed to be represented at the funeral of a foreign head of state or a person of note. This is called paying one's last respects.

This funeral was totally different from others in the respect that the royal family was attending a funeral of a woman that was much beloved in their private lives and her death has been a major loss for not only The Queen but for all those in the family that have loved her dearly and will miss her. In this case, it is a family in mourning that have come together to remember the loved one they lost and console each other.

Not going to funerals may have more to do with the fact that every minute of her diary is booked months, and in some cases years in advance. I am sure cancellations had to be made in this instance, and QE2 des not like to cancel. By her diary, funerals are very last minute.

You can represent someone and still attend in your own right. It doesn't have to be someone would not have attended if they weren't representing someone.

Charles represented his parents at the memorial service for the Duke of Westminster but he was still there as a close friend of the Duke and still would have been there if he wasn't representing his parents.

What is the point of 'represented by':ermm: you can't attend you can attend. It would be one thing if say Tim went. But yo choose a rando, cousin and say 'oh he us there as a stand in for Anne' seems pointless. Not foes it make an sense. Unless I am missing some bond between the two other than distant family. The man is there for the funeral fur himself. This whole representing doesn't make sense. Thus isn't the funeral of a king they the queen sends someone instead.

What is the point of 'represented by':ermm: you can't attend you can attend. It would be one thing if say Tim went. But yo choose a rando, cousin and say 'oh he us there as a stand in for Anne' seems pointless. Not foes it make an sense. Unless I am missing some bond between the two other than distant family. The man is there for the funeral fur himself. This whole representing doesn't make sense. Thus isn't the funeral of a king they the queen sends someone instead.

David Bowes-Lyon was Margaret Rhodes' 2nd cousin once removed. He wasn't her close relative.

But his wife is Princess Anne's lady-in-waiting. Usually Mrs. David Bowes-Lyon represents Anne at funerals. Sometimes Captain David Bowes-Lyon represents the princess.

David Bowes-Lyon was Margaret Rhodes' 2nd cousin once removed. He wasn't her close relative.

But his wife is Princess Anne's lady-in-waiting. Usually Mrs. David Bowes-Lyon represents Anne at funerals. Sometimes Captain David Bowes-Lyon represents the princess.

Second cousins are still close enough to attend funerals. We know this family is very close. It is one thing to send someone as your representative to a big official funeral meaning public. Another yo need a representative yo a private family event. Especially when the person is attending anyways. It's a private family funeral, you can't attend, send condolences. Font send a stand in. Unless your husband or child which makes more sense. That goes got Charles, tough his was at least not related. It just seems unnecessary.

Second cousins are still close enough to attend funerals. We know this family is very close. It is one thing to send someone as your representative to a big official funeral meaning public. Another yo need a representative yo a private family event. Especially when the person is attending anyways. It's a private family funeral, you can't attend, send condolences. Font send a stand in. Unless your husband or child which makes more sense. That goes got Charles, tough his was at least not related. It just seems unnecessary.

But it does show that they held her in high esteem. I'm sure personal condolences were sent as they grew up knowing her, but this shows the public that they thought a great deal of her.

I think it would be appreciated by the family.

I think that is just a custom that the Royals or Heads of State do. The average person that cannot attend or hates to attend funerals at any time, will just send message or call with their regrets. Might send a contribution to a charity in the dead person's name instead of flowers, etc. People in the public eye want to make it known that they loved or respected the person that passed but the service is out to them for whatever reason. Probably to stop media questioning their actions.

I believe as with most very private funerals, you are either sent a notice or receive a personal call. If you don't receive, don't go. Only once in all my old life have I ever received such an invitation but some of my second cousins didn't. No big deal. This is what the immediate family wanted. Period. Funeral home was closed to the public although not the burial site. Heck, a lot of people now are not having a "funeral service" with viewing, etc., just a memorial that takes place many weeks later. You get to the point that you have to ask "how is this one going to be". Life is funny anymore and things change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom