Death of Margaret Rhodes, Queen Elizabeth's Cousin: November 25, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think out of all the relatives that the Queen has, I liked Margaret Rhodes the best and from reading her memoirs "The Final Curtsey: A Royal Memoir" which was published in 2012, I admired this woman for her down to earth nature, her way of looking at things and the devotion she had to her family, the Queen Mother and her best friend Elizabeth.

I know she will be sorely missed by HM and Windsor Castle times won't be the same without her best friend as most likely, the times with Margaret were probably some of the only times she could let her hair down and just be herself. If I could say anything to HM to ease her mind, I would tell her that its really just a short separation and its never goodbye but until we meet again.

What a amazing life she has had and such a great age to live too

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The Hon. Margaret Rhodes née Elphinstone has reached a blessed age. Those Bowes-Lyon genes seem durable...

Last edited:
How sad for the Queen and so close to Christmas,Margaret Rhodes always came across as a jolly and warm lady,I did not know she was ill.

Rest in Peace The Hon. Margaret Rhodes.

RIP

My grandmother used to say that that was the one thing that bothered her about getting older (she died at age 97) that all friends and family you have of your own generation die until the people left that are closest to you in age are 20 years younger...
I could imagine HM experiences something similar... (fortunately P.Philip is still going strong)

RIP

My grandmother used to say that that was the one thing that bothered her about getting older (she died at age 97) that all friends and family you have of your own generation die until the people left that are closest to you in age are 20 years younger...
I could imagine HM experiences something similar... (fortunately P.Philip is still going strong)

Well that's true isn't it,it's lonely to be old as ones next of kin and friends pass away and all you have left are memories and children who have busy jobs" and other "stuff to do" starting with their i-Pads and tablets etc ..Leaves many of the generations before us having tea on their own or chattering away to the geraniums.

Again,maybe one might feel inspired to visit an elder family member more often.They deserve it.And don't forget,one day You and you and you too will be old...if you're lucky enough.

I had the pleasure of knowing Margaret Rhodes. She was a fascinating, entertaining and extremely charming person, who will be greatly missed. May she rest in Peace.

She seems like such a fascinating woman, working as a secratary for MI6 and more. I am sure her loss is felt by many, especially the queen. Sad that though the Bowes Lyons are long lived, there are only five of that generation left. :sad:

I had the pleasure of knowing Margaret Rhodes. She was a fascinating, entertaining and extremely charming person, who will be greatly missed. May she rest in Peace.

My condolences to you too then.

Well that's true isn't it,it's lonely to be old as ones next of kin and friends pass away and all you have left are memories and children who have busy jobs" and other "stuff to do" starting with their i-Pads and tablets etc ..Leaves many of the generations before us having tea on their own or chattering away to the geraniums.

Again,maybe one might feel inspired to visit an elder family member more often.They deserve it.And don't forget,one day You and you and you too will be old...if you're lucky enough.

Yes, Lucien, you are correct. My mother who died at the age of 98 sadly mentioned that, after the last of her first and some second cousins died, there was no one left to talk about the fun days of their youth. No one left that remembered. Sure we had photos, but we were not there. A photo only brings back a memory to those involved. I feel for the Queen now more than when her mother and sister died. This was her special friend that she could confide in and giggle with. She was her youth. Yes, she still has her loyal husband, but still not the same. Prayers go out to this strong woman who will have to grieve in private because that is what is expected of her.

Thank you SLV.
I knew her through helping publish her book of memoirs, 'The Last Curtsey' which deservedly became The Times Number 1 Best Seller, despite having been rejected by several mainstream publishers, who were then falling over themselves to buy paperback rights. Their offers were rejected. Karma!!
Hers was a most interesting life.

I have a copy of her recent memoirs and it is really a thoroughly fascinating insight into her own long life and the royal family.

Oh, how sad; I remember Margaret Rhodes through her interviews and appearances on documentaries about the BRF (not personally, I was just one of the viewers). She appeared to be a sweet and funny lady indeed. May she RIP and I'm sure she'll be greatly missed.

I would wholeheartedly recommend "The Final Curtsey" to anyone interested. It not only is amazingly well written but has so many excellent photographs in it. I've already reread it a few times. There's a lot of amusing anecdotes and when reading this book, you get the feeling that there were a lot of love behind the words as they were being written.

This is one occasion where I don't believe HM, The Queen will just mourn her friend in private. I'd be very surprised if she, along with other members of the family, didn't attend the memorial/funeral service. I honestly believe that the relationship between Margaret and Elizabeth was more along the lines of being sisters and that they had a bond that was impossible to break over the years.

The Queen and Mrs. Rhodes had so much shared history. May Elizabeth II be comforted in her loss.

Thanks eya! I'm glad that the Daily Mail is running a series of excerpts from "The Final Curtsey". I think it is one of the best collection of insights into the private lives of the Windsors over the years coming from someone very close to them.

Does anyone know anything about the funeral of Margaret Rhodes? Do you think The Queen will attend?

I would be very surprised if the Queen did not attend Margaret's funeral/memorial service because of how close the two women were. I would expect that a lot of the royal family will be in attendance.

I haven't heard anything about dates and times and it obviously isn't something that the media is jumping on. Mrs. Rhodes really had the best of both worlds didn't she? Very close and part of the Queen's inner circle without being hassled by the press.

I would be very surprised if the Queen did not attend Margaret's funeral/memorial service because of how close the two women were. I would expect that a lot of the royal family will be in attendance.

I haven't heard anything about dates and times and it obviously isn't something that the media is jumping on. Mrs. Rhodes really had the best of both worlds didn't she? Very close and part of the Queen's inner circle without being hassled by the press.

Yes, certainly the queen, and likely her children. Not sure any grandchildren. Perhaps Margaret's kids. But there should be a nice showing of the family.

According to the DailyMail the Queen will attend the funeral this Monday
"The Queen will attend the funeral of her beloved cousin and confidante Margaret Rhodes at Windsor on Monday. Although she rarely goes to such events, she will lead mourners at the Royal Chapel at 3pm as a mark of respect for The Honourable Mrs Rhodes, who died last week aged 91."

Buckingham Palace rolls out no-smoking policy at all royal residences | Daily Mail Online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom