Death of Gerald Grosvenor, 6th Duke of Westminster: August 9, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Alexandra and Princess Eugenie also present. Strong attendance from the royal family as expected.

I wouldn't be surprised if some for the Kent or Gloucester children are also present as they are friends with the Grosvenor girls

I don't Princess Michael of Kent in pictures.

DM wrongly identified Princess Alexandra as Princess Michael of Kent.

No I didn't see Princess Michael in the photos either,great royal turn out for the late Duke of Westminster's Memorial service.

What about the service?

Distinguished and influential tenor Ian Bostridge CBE, accompanied by Andrew Wyatt, assistant director of music at Chester Cathedral, performed Panis Angelicus by Cesar Franck.

Readings were given by the 7th Duke of Westminster, who read his father’s favourite poem, If, by Rudyard Kipling; Richard Lyttleton, cousin of the late Duke, who read Revelation 21: 1-7 and the Duke of Cambridge, who read the Garter Prayer, part of the annual service for Knights of the Order of the Garter, with which the late Duke had been honoured.

Tributes were given by Jeremy Newsum, executive trustee of the Grosvenor Estate who spoke of his long business partnership with the late Duke; General Sir Timothy Granville-Chapman, programme director of the Defence and National Rehabilitation Centre who spoke of the Duke’s military career and Andrew Hay, a close family friend and relative.

Lady Edwina Snow, the late Duke’s second daughter, also gave a reading.
Duke of Westminster memorial service: Updates as Royals visit Chester to pay respects - Chester Chronicle

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were represented by the Prince of Wales.

Also in attendance were the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Princess Eugenie of York (representing the Duke of York), the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Lady Rose Gilman, the Duke of Kent (representing the Duchess of Kent), Prince and Princess Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra, The Hon. Lady Ogilvy.

Prince Henry of Wales was represented by Miss Helen Asprey, while the Earl and Countess of Wessex were represented by Major General John Crackett and the Princess Royal was represented by Mrs David Bowes-Lyon.

Members of overseas royal families included Prince Salman bin Hamad Al-Khalifa, Crown Prince of the Kingdom of Bahrain (representing King Hamad bin Isa Al-Khalifa) and Sheikh Abdullah bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa.

Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece was there representing King Constantine II of Hellenes.

There were about 1,400 guests at the service.
https://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/duke-westminster-memorial-service-royals-12239930

gallery of images
Duke of Westminster memorial service at Chester Cathedral - Chester Chronicle

Last edited by a moderator:
I found it quite touching that one of the readings during the service was of Rudyard Kipling's "If" poem. It has always remained a favorite of mine and I don't think anyone could find better advice on how to life a good life than this.

Although I imagine that a lot of you are very familiar with this poem, I'd like to post it again here in memory of Gerald Grosvenor, 6th Duke of Westminster.

If

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

~~~Rudyard Kipling~~~

CC 13th December 2016

The Duchess of Westminster was received by The Queen and delivered up the Insignia of the Order of the Garter worn by her husband, the late Duke of Westminster.

The Duke of Westminster’s £8bn fortune escapes death duties

No inheritance tax has been paid on the vast bulk of the late Duke of Westminster’s £8.3 billion family fortune after his death last year.

Probate records disclosed yesterday that Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor, who died aged 64 in August 2016, left a personal estate of £616,418,184 after payment of debts and liabilities.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-s-8bn-fortune-escapes-death-duties-mz86mxfk8

Last edited:
Entirely as expected... pretty much EVERYTHING is protected as part of the Grosvenor Estates Trusteeship.

Funny how when the QM died and her estate passes to QE the media sniped about not having to pay tax and now the same with the Grosvenor's Estate. They don't have any problems with large companies and multinationals tax avoidance.

Funny how when the QM died and her estate passes to QE the media sniped about not having to pay tax and now the same with the Grosvenor's Estate. They don't have any problems with large companies and multinationals tax avoidance.

And all legal - this isnt tax evasion. And they’ve done the usual thing of combining business with personal in the same way they do with BRF. Lazy, bitter journalism

The properties have been in trust since 1953 and has been controlled by the Grosvenor group. Plus the trust will pay tax every ten years, and the family pays the highest rate of capital gains tax. Death duties can easily be avoided in many ways and by anyone if you prepare yourself.

Back
Top Bottom