Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleneKoenig View Post
Duke of Westminster, not Winchester
Ooooops! Thanks for the correction. Sometimes my mind thinks something and the fingers type something else. Hubby was talking about heading down to Winchester, VA for gas at the time.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Serene Highness

I think this is a perfect way to handle such a sudden death, the family can grieve in private before facing the public in a few months when they are more ready.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think this is a perfect way to handle such a sudden death, the family can grieve in private before facing the public in a few months when they are more ready.
I agree. Seems very sensible. And also a way to let people plan it into their calendars, since there will probably be quite a few important people there.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Seems to be customary with public figures in the UK. Many of the memorials the royals attended have been months after. The actual funeral being a private affair for family and close friends.

I appreciate the idea a lot. His widow, children, grandchildren and family can mourn in peace. Others can wait to pay their respects.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryGirl View Post
I didn't say he shouldn't have a party life. I said it was disrespectful for newspapers to expose the private moments of a guy who has never sought out publicity a day after his father died.
sorry who is this? Are you referring to the Late Duke or the present one?
Old 08-12-2016, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Private funeral held for Duke of Westminster

Private funeral held for Duke of Westminster - BBC News
Old 08-13-2016, 12:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Ooooops! Thanks for the correction. Sometimes my mind thinks something and the fingers type something else. Hubby was talking about heading down to Winchester, VA for gas at the time.
Ah, I-81... shudder.. just thinking about all the places in VA named after royals and nobles.

Yes, I know I'm off topic, I'm stopping now.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:53 AM
Royal Highness

Duke of Westminster's pallbearers evacuated from his private jet on route to funeral
Old 08-13-2016, 11:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Seems to be customary with public figures in the UK. Many of the memorials the royals attended have been months after. The actual funeral being a private affair for family and close friends.

I appreciate the idea a lot. His widow, children, grandchildren and family can mourn in peace. Others can wait to pay their respects.
that makes sense, i didn't know that was the way it was done in the UK, in most countries where i have lived people usually attend the funeral, and memorial services are less common.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-13-2016, 11:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
that makes sense, i didn't know that was the way it was done in the UK, in most countries where i have lived people usually attend the funeral, and memorial services are less common.
A memorial service is a very good idea, because not everyone gets a chance to attend a funeral. You're right though, memorial services are less common here. I think it would be nice to have a commemorative memorial service for our loved ones. The 10th or 20th anniversary of someone's passing.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-13-2016, 11:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Ah, I-81... shudder.. just thinking about all the places in VA named after royals and nobles.

Yes, I know I'm off topic, I'm stopping now.
One more reason to love Virginia ... says another VA resident. I live in a county named for an extant peerage
Old 11-17-2016, 10:49 AM
Serene Highness

A Memorial Service for the life of Major General Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor 6th Duke Of Westminster KG CB CVO OBE TD CD DL will take place at 2 p.m. on Monday, 28th November 2016 in Chester Cathedral, Chester.
WESTMINSTER - Deaths Announcements - Telegraph Announcements
Old 11-17-2016, 05:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
A briefing sent to Cheshire West and Chester councillors yesterday (November 16) reveals the scale and high profile nature of the event which will inevitably cause disruption in the city centre .

It reads: “It is expected that around 2,000 guests will be attending the ticketed service including family, close friends, estate workers, local, national and international VIPs and representatives of charities the Duke had links with.

“It is anticipated that security around the event will be high, particularly on the day. The police are working closely with the Westminster family to ensure that all guests and members of the public remain safe.”
Read more: Duke of Westminster's memorial service will be attended by international VIPs - Chester Chronicle
Old 11-27-2016, 12:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
When news of the Duke of Westminster’s death broke on August 9 it sent shock waves not only through the Cheshire community but in business, political and royal circles too.

The Duke’s death from a heart attack at 64 came as a bolt out of the blue during a visit to his Abbeystead shooting estate in Lancashire.

Grosvenor Estate have not spoken about the circumstances surrounding the final hours of Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor, although locals in Abbeystead understand he was out ‘on the fell’ accompanied by a gamekeeper when taken ill.

He may have been preparing for the shooting party he was due to host for family and close friends later that week on ‘The Glorious 12th’ of August, which is the start of the grouse shooting season.

The Duke, whose life will be celebrated at a memorial service at Chester Cathedral on Monday (November 28), was conveyed by air ambulance to the Royal Preston Hospital where he sadly died.
Read more: Duke of Westminster's untimely death came out of the blue - Chester Chronicle
Old 11-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Nobility

Which members of the Royal Family will attend the memorial service for the late Duke tomorrow?
Old 11-27-2016, 07:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik-Jan77 View Post
Which members of the Royal Family will attend the memorial service for the late Duke tomorrow?
It is not confirmed that any are attending. Some are expected to attend but no word on who.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-27-2016, 07:52 PM
Serene Highness

There is a lot of security going on around the Cathedral so I suspect at least some senior royals will be in attendance. I would guess Charles and/or Camilla, William and/or Kate. Although the Queen doesn't usually attend such events this is one of those she is most likely to attend. She did attend the late Duke's daughters wedding even though she rarely attends weddings out of her immediate family. The DofE is the only royal with an official event listed on Monday.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles and Camilla also present

Frances Barrett ‏@ChronFrances
Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge have just arrived, to gasps from the crowds

https://twitter.com/ChronFrances/sta...36740664356865
Old 11-28-2016, 10:12 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Apparently Duke of Kent, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Eugenie present as well according to twitter

Hundreds gather to pay tribute to the sixth Duke of Westminster at memorial service | Daily Mail Online

Old 11-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Duke of Westminster memorial service: Updates as Royals arrive in Chester to pay respects - Chester Chronicle