Death of Gerald Grosvenor, 6th Duke of Westminster: August 9, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
THE Duke of Westminster has died after revealing his dream to help set up a world-class rehabilitation centre to help treat Britain’s military heroes.

The billionaire landowner, one of the world’s richest men, personally donated £50million towards a new medical facility which will give injured soldiers the best chance to rebuild their lives.

Speaking to the Daily Express shortly before his death the Duke said: “I’ve got this dream to have this new centre set up. It is a much-needed resource for our service people.

“Of course £50million is a lot of money but if it helps these brave men and women and makes a difference then it is worth it. It is the least I can do to help.”

Stanford Hall – the £300million Defence and National Rehabilitation Centre set in 358 acres of parkland in Nottinghamshire and due to open in 2018 – is his brainchild.
Read more: Duke of Westminster set up rehabilitation centre for Armed Forces | Obituaries | News | Daily Express

The death duties and taxes on such a huge fortune will be pretty massive however, unless arrangements have been put in place (and I would guess they have.)

This would certainly be a devastating blow to his wife and children. I think a couple of the Duke's daughters are married, aren't they?

I saw a headline on how the fortune is structured to avoid these taxes, to the extent possible. I'd be shocked if it were otherwise.

It's divided into different trusts so inheritance tax won't take a huge chunk. But most importantly, how very sad for the Grosvenors. The Duke tried his best to help those in need whilst upholding his family's interests as well. Shocking news. Really reminds you to always be grateful for the time you have with those you love.

I saw a headline on how the fortune is structured to avoid these taxes, to the extent possible. I'd be shocked if it were otherwise.

Inheritance tax, and how the Dukes of Westminster avoid it on their £9bn fortune

Clever use of trust structures enable the Grosvenor family - whose head is the Duke of Westminster - to pass assets down the generations without attracting inheritance tax, accountants say.

The Grosvenors' property fortune is estimated at £9bn. Yet the death of Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor, the sixth Duke of Westminster, and the inheritance of his title by his son Hugh, is not expected to trigger vast death duties.

This is because successive generations are "trustees" rather than direct owners of the assets, which include swathes of London's most prestigious streets and squares.

Preston coroner's office has confirmed that the Duke of Westminster, Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor, died after suffering a heart attack. The Duke, who was a close friend of the royal family, passed away on Tuesday aged 64. A spokeswoman for the coroner's office confirmed on Thursday that there would be no inquest as the Duke died of natural causes.

Duke of Westminster cause of death confirmed to be heart attack

Death of William's Mentor

The Duke of Westminister, friend of Prince Charles, personal mentor to William (and who's private plane took the Cambridge family to France a few days ago) has passed away following a heart attack at 64.

His 25 year old son, godfather to Prince George, inherits the title along with a fortune of around 9 billion.

No, he's not. Hugh will become one of Great Britain's most eligible bachelors I'm sure.

Actually he was before the death of his father, considering his status.

LaRae

It should be noted that the Duke's ties to the Royal family came with his marriage to Natalia Phillips, whose mother, Georgina, was one of the Queen's best friends from childhood (and Andrew's godmother). Tally's maternal grandparents were also close to the Queen, who attended Lady Zia's memorial service. A rare honor by the Queen.

The Duchess, not the Duke, is one of William's godparents (and the PoW is the new duke's godfather as well).

A pall has been cast over one of the great traditions of the British social calendar following the death of the Duke of Westminster.

The Glorious Twelfth, which heralds the start of the country’s grouse shooting season, has been cancelled at the late Duke’s Abbeystead estate, as a mark of respect.

The shoot at the 18,000 acre estate in Lancashire has long been one of the centre pieces of the calendar, with the event frequently attended by members of the Royal family, including Princes William and Harry

But the Duke’s son, Hugh Grosvenor, who has now inherited the title - along with the family’s £8.3 billion fortune - is understood to have taken the decision that it would not be appropriate to go ahead with the shoot.
Read more: Glorious Twelfth cancelled at the new Duke of Westminster's estate

It should be noted that the Duke's ties to the Royal family came with his marriage to Natalia Phillips, whose mother, Georgina, was one of the Queen's best friends from childhood (and Andrew's godmother). Tally's maternal grandparents were also close to the Queen, who attended Lady Zia's memorial service. A rare honor by the Queen.

The Duchess, not the Duke, is one of William's godparents (and the PoW is the new duke's godfather as well).

Too young,they are both young.

The late Duke was too young still but found his peace
the new Duke is young and will find his strenght.

I have to respectfully disagree, I don't think the mast majority of the articles since Tuesday have been crass or disrespectful. Some have of course focussed on the vast wealth and how it will be passed on to the new Duke but the articles about the late Duke have all been very respectful IMO highlighting his work for charities and the military and few if any mentioning less glorious times we know he went through.

The Duke of Westminister, friend of Prince Charles, personal mentor to William (and who's private plane took the Cambridge family to France a few days ago) has passed away following a heart attack at 64.

His 25 year old son, godfather to Prince George, inherits the title along with a fortune of around 9 billion.

Thanks to the mods for merging my thread here :)

I was surprised that a then 22 / 23 year old was chosen as a godfather for George. But not so surprising seeing the strong family links down through the last few generations.

No, he's not. Hugh will become one of Great Britain's most eligible bachelors I'm sure.

For sure! Not all titles bring such a fortune with them, and close ties to the RF to boot, being one of Prince George's godfathers.

He's only 25; not sure if there is a significant other on the scene.

Thanks to the mods for merging my thread here :)

I was surprised that a then 22 / 23 year old was chosen as a godfather for George. But not so surprising seeing the strong family links down through the last few generations.

Better than a 79 year Sir Laurens van der Post who was William's and died when William was 14. George will have the benefit of his godfather Hugh for a long time hopefully. Plus there are close ties with the Duchess as William's godmother and the PoW is Hugh's godfather.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Here's a nice obituary from his company: Grosvenor - Remembering the Duke of Westminster
Does anyone know who, and whose, the last mentioned granddaughters, Isla and Orla, are? The media has only referred to four grandchildren, those being the two sons of Lady Tamara and the son and daughter of Lady Edwina, but as this comes from the website of the company it would seem to be more authentic. Were these granddaughters adopted by either the van Cutsem or Snow families, perhaps the latter, seeing as the list of (known) grandchildren is sorted firstly by birth order of the mother and then by their own birth order?

Confused, I find no mention of Isla and Orla else where:ermm:

Dan and Edwina lost a baby at six months in between their daughter and son but that would not explain it. I don't see Isla and Orla mentioned anywhere else. It's the 2 elder girls who have the kids. I don't think their husbands were married previously so there aren't some step grandkids.

What a very good idea and you may be right! Perhaps they are Viola and/or Hugo's dogs, hence the 'grandfatherly' role?

I know my parents call mine and my sister's cats grandkids (don't have real) but never thought to see them in an obituary, especially with no distinction made with the other 4.

Well, if Marlene is on the right track I think it's a lovely idea. I have seen dogs and cats mentioned in death notices in newspapers as members of the family, which they are! :)

I have to respectfully disagree, I don't think the mast majority of the articles since Tuesday have been crass or disrespectful. Some have of course focussed on the vast wealth and how it will be passed on to the new Duke but the articles about the late Duke have all been very respectful IMO highlighting his work for charities and the military and few if any mentioning less glorious times we know he went through.

The focus on the wealth and how the new duke will be an eligible bachelor like the previous duke and what his 'party life' is like I find to be quite disrespectful. Of course, you are entitled to disagree. I think the previous duke's life devoted to charities should be the main if not all the focus.

What is this party life of his?? Why shoudln't he have had a bit of a party life as a young man?

I didn't say he shouldn't have a party life. I said it was disrespectful for newspapers to expose the private moments of a guy who has never sought out publicity a day after his father died.

They are not listed under the family section on his wiki(!) page although are present as the last two grandchildren on the obituary.

Late family additions??! The names sound like possible twins?

Better than a 79 year Sir Laurens van der Post who was William's and died when William was 14. George will have the benefit of his godfather Hugh for a long time hopefully. Plus there are close ties with the Duchess as William's godmother and the PoW is Hugh's godfather.

Absolutely! What surprised me was the age difference between the Cambridges and Hugh - only 22 at the time (so probably not of their immediate circle of friends!) Until I read about the strong family links.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom