The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-10-2016, 04:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Hardly. The new Duke is taking over from his dad. Just like a queen, a business man has managers, advisers, lawyers. No one is expect him to blindly run it alone.
If one does not see the difference between a state and a private family affair, then I rest my case....

The lavishly state-funded Queen is assisted in all her duties. There are approximately 447,000 civil servants in Her Majesty's Home Civil Service. Every resident in the UK pays taxes to fund this immense service. When Princess Elizabeth became Queen, immediately the giant machinery of state took care of the young, inexperienced Queen.

No one pays for the new Duke of Westminster. He has to upheld his own trousers. Sure, he has advisers, and I hope they give good counsel but the difference will be quite clear.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
He is godfather to Prince George and now among the richest people in the world.

Hugh Grosvenor, 25, inherits the title and estate of his father, Duke of Westminster, after Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor died on Tuesday afternoon at the Royal Preston Hospital in Lancashire.

According to Forbes, the Duke had a fortune of £8.3 billion, making him the 68th richest billionaire in the world, and the third richest in the UK.

His fortune, including the family seat, Eaton Hall near Chester, now goes to Hugh, whose previous title was Earl Grosvenor.
Read more: Who is new Duke of Westminster? Hugh Grosvenor*is 25-year-old godfather to Prince George

Old 08-10-2016, 07:06 AM
Heir Apparent

I feel sorry for the Family , His Heir is only 25 years old.
Will the Royal Family attend the Funerals ?
Old 08-10-2016, 07:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail
William and Kate have spoken of their sadness at the death of the #dukeofwestminster

A statement from KP says: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were very sad to learn of the Duke of Westminster’s passing yesterday...

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge ctd: 'Their thoughts are very much with his family this morning.' #dukeofwestminster

The #dukeofwestminster was a mentor to William while his wife Natalia is his godmother. The new Duke Hugh, 25, is Prince George's godfather.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:35 AM
Courtier

Such sad news.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, I'm sure Hugh will have his family around to assist and advice him in his new role.

At 25, being handed down these duties and responsibilities will give a person a sense of purpose in life. A reason to get up in the morning. Most 25 year olds don't know what to do with themselves.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-10-2016, 09:05 AM
Heir Apparent

A picture of The Duke of Cambridge with The Duke of Westminster during a conference on illegal wildlife trafficking at the World Bank headquarters in Washington in December 2014

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...0811977860.jpg
Old 08-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Yes dman, it was his jet, not first time either. Will and Harry are close to his daughters growing up.

His family is so close with the royals. His widow is William's godmother while Diana was Edwina's. And of course George. The eldest is married to Edward Van Cutsem, a good friend to the Wales boys.

He served on the council of the duchy of Cornwall. And involved with the Canadian military.

Leaves behind his widow, 4 kids: Tamara (37), Edwina (35), Hugh (25) and Viola (24). 2 son in laws Edward Van Cutsem (Tamara) and Dan Snow (Edwin). And 4 grandkis, 3 grandsons: Jake VC (7) Louis VC (4) and Wolf Snow (2), and 1 granddaughter Zia Snow (5).

He also has 2 sisters. Leonora Anson, extra lady in waiting to Princess Ann. She is ex wife of Earl of Lichtfield (son of Princess Anne of Denmark, making him 1st cousins with QEII on her mother's side). Leonora's son is now Earl (ex died in 2005). Leonora never remarried so she is still Leonora, Countess Lichtfield.

His other sister Jane is the former Duchess of Roxburge, as ex wife of Guy Innes-Kerr. Her younger son Ted was housemates with Pippa and George Percy at university.
The Prince of Wales' is Hugh's godfather. The ties to the royal family are through Natalia, not the duke, as her mother, Georgina, was a lifelong bestie with Queen Elizabeth II

Royal Musings: Why the young Lord Grosvenor is not yet called the Duke of Westminster

Royal Musings: Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor, 6th Duke of Westminster (1951-2016)

Royal Musings: Georgina, Lady Kennard
Old 08-10-2016, 12:31 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Westminster –Â*obituary
Old 08-10-2016, 12:49 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
What a remarkable man who loved life and lived life to its fullest. If Hugh is anything like his father, he should have no troubles whatsoever in taking over the dukedom and all it entails as his father did when he was 19.

Thanks MarleneKoenig for the information on the etiquette in the passing of the title to the heir. I normally would have assumed that Hugh would instantly become the Duke upon the death of his father and find it touching that it isn't until after the funeral and burial that this occurs. That shows deep respect.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-10-2016, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

British Army @BritishArmy
Major General The Duke of Westminster: a tribute by Major General Simon Brooks-Ward

News and Features - British Army Website
Old 08-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Serene Highness

Hugh instantly became the Duke upon the death of his father.
But it's polite to style him as Lord Grosvenor until the funeral.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:24 PM
Nobility

This is such sad news.
To me it is totally inappropriate at this time to be discussing inheritance.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
His Grace The Duke of Westminster passes away aged 64

It is with great sadness the Legion learnt of the death of the Duke of Westminster, who was a long term supporter of the British Armed Forces, and member of and friend to The Royal British Legion.
Read more: His Grace The Duke of Westminster passes away aged 64 | RBL
Old 08-10-2016, 03:06 PM
Commoner

The Dowager Duchess

Does the Duchess of Westminster become the Dowager Duchess upon being widowed by the death of her husband, as some of the previous posts suggest, or not until the new Duke marries and creates a new Duchess? I thought the latter.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Serene Highness

I read somewhere that the late Duke's daughters will be well taken care of my Trust Funds set up for them so no one needs to worry about them not getting anything and Hugh getting it all.

The late Duke had lost a lot of weight in recent years but this seemed deliberate as this article from 2014 says he was starting to do more exercise and loose weight. Duke of Westminster: There is no more honourable cause than helping wounded soldiers - Telegraph

A sad loss of a man who tried hard to do good in his life and with his enormous good luck to be born into a wealthy fortune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
Does the Duchess of Westminster become the Dowager Duchess upon being widowed by the death of her husband, as some of the previous posts suggest, or not until the new Duke marries and creates a new Duchess? I thought the latter.
I believe she will still be the Duchess of Westminster until Hugh marries and then she will become the Dowager Duchess.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Is the new Duke married yet?

LaRae
Old 08-10-2016, 05:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post

She's technically the Dowager Duchess immediately, but it's common for the widow of a Duke to continue to go by Duchess if the new Duke is unmarried.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Is the new Duke married yet?
No, he is single.