Death of Gerald Grosvenor, 6th Duke of Westminster: August 9, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Speculating I know, but the Duke did look gaunt in the last photos I saw and I wondered if he was in good health. Heart trouble perhaps? His death was sudden.

It may have been his heart or could have been another ailment, but nothing was ever released that His Grace was, in fact, ill. We just have to go on our gut feelings.

May GOD rest his soul in peace. Condolences to his wife & kids.

His Grace's death wasn't a surprise to me in a way. The photo's of him at various events the past 3 mon. shocked me. He was gaunt and his color was almost pale to gray. The Daily Fail kept writing about his "terrific weight loss and healthy look", it was plain to me His Grace's health was far from that.
Condolences to his family.

Condolences to his Family,indeed.

I'm going to guess he's been groomed his whole life to take over (unlike his father) and has various support staff already in place.

The Queen inherited a pretty big job at what...25?

LaRae

There is quite a difference in enjoying state-funded security for life with the backing of a gigantic apparate of state, armed forces and the diplomacy or becoming the very responsible one in managing private family affairs.

From the very first hours the Queen has been surrounded by courtiers, councillors, aides, advisors and ministers. The new Duke has to find his own way. Think of the Earl of Grantham and how he has to care for his gigantic estate. The new Duke will feel engulfed with a herculean task.

Last edited:
Hardly. The new Duke is taking over from his dad. Just like a queen, a business man has managers, advisers, lawyers. No one is expect him to blindly run it alone.

Yes, I'm sure most of the wealth is tucked away in trust funds, private companies in Britain and overseas and so on. I don't think the late Duke ran his entire empire alone and I don't believe the new Duke will either.

Nevertheless, I'm sure Hugh has had two or three years tuition in business affairs from his father and I'm sure independent friends of the family like Prince Charles would be happy to offer advice if needed, even if only about the estates.

Sad news. Condolences to his family and friends.

:previous: The Grosvenor Group. it manages the estate and holdings on 3 continents. The well established company will continue to do so.

Grosvenor - History

Like many grand estates Eaton Hall will also be well managed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eaton_Hall,_Cheshire

The Dowager Duchess will likely continue with Eaton. She helped refurbish it and the gardens which are used for charity. She also helps manage their art collection. I doubt Hugh is about to send her packing.

Hugh doesn't have much business background. His degree is in estate management, more useful for country homes than GG. He worked for his dad for a while but has been working at Bio-bean, a company that uses used coffee grounds as bio fuel.

Excellent, CountessMeOut. I'm sure the Dowager will do all she can to help and advise her son, and will continue to do what she does best. I think Hugh has been given an overview of what's involved over the years and I'm sure he'll take advice whenever he can. The late Duke's experience will be missed, but time will take care of that!

Hardly. The new Duke is taking over from his dad. Just like a queen, a business man has managers, advisers, lawyers. No one is expect him to blindly run it alone.

If one does not see the difference between a state and a private family affair, then I rest my case....

The lavishly state-funded Queen is assisted in all her duties. There are approximately 447,000 civil servants in Her Majesty's Home Civil Service. Every resident in the UK pays taxes to fund this immense service. When Princess Elizabeth became Queen, immediately the giant machinery of state took care of the young, inexperienced Queen.

No one pays for the new Duke of Westminster. He has to upheld his own trousers. Sure, he has advisers, and I hope they give good counsel but the difference will be quite clear.

Last edited:
He is godfather to Prince George and now among the richest people in the world.

Hugh Grosvenor, 25, inherits the title and estate of his father, Duke of Westminster, after Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor died on Tuesday afternoon at the Royal Preston Hospital in Lancashire.

According to Forbes, the Duke had a fortune of £8.3 billion, making him the 68th richest billionaire in the world, and the third richest in the UK.

His fortune, including the family seat, Eaton Hall near Chester, now goes to Hugh, whose previous title was Earl Grosvenor.
Read more: Who is new Duke of Westminster? Hugh Grosvenor*is 25-year-old godfather to Prince George

I feel sorry for the Family , His Heir is only 25 years old.
Will the Royal Family attend the Funerals ?

Last edited:
Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail
William and Kate have spoken of their sadness at the death of the #dukeofwestminster

A statement from KP says: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were very sad to learn of the Duke of Westminster’s passing yesterday...

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge ctd: 'Their thoughts are very much with his family this morning.' #dukeofwestminster

The #dukeofwestminster was a mentor to William while his wife Natalia is his godmother. The new Duke Hugh, 25, is Prince George's godfather.

Such sad news.

Well, I'm sure Hugh will have his family around to assist and advice him in his new role.

At 25, being handed down these duties and responsibilities will give a person a sense of purpose in life. A reason to get up in the morning. Most 25 year olds don't know what to do with themselves.

Yes dman, it was his jet, not first time either. Will and Harry are close to his daughters growing up.

His family is so close with the royals. His widow is William's godmother while Diana was Edwina's. And of course George. The eldest is married to Edward Van Cutsem, a good friend to the Wales boys.

He served on the council of the duchy of Cornwall. And involved with the Canadian military.

Leaves behind his widow, 4 kids: Tamara (37), Edwina (35), Hugh (25) and Viola (24). 2 son in laws Edward Van Cutsem (Tamara) and Dan Snow (Edwin). And 4 grandkis, 3 grandsons: Jake VC (7) Louis VC (4) and Wolf Snow (2), and 1 granddaughter Zia Snow (5).

He also has 2 sisters. Leonora Anson, extra lady in waiting to Princess Ann. She is ex wife of Earl of Lichtfield (son of Princess Anne of Denmark, making him 1st cousins with QEII on her mother's side). Leonora's son is now Earl (ex died in 2005). Leonora never remarried so she is still Leonora, Countess Lichtfield.

His other sister Jane is the former Duchess of Roxburge, as ex wife of Guy Innes-Kerr. Her younger son Ted was housemates with Pippa and George Percy at university.

The Prince of Wales' is Hugh's godfather. The ties to the royal family are through Natalia, not the duke, as her mother, Georgina, was a lifelong bestie with Queen Elizabeth II

Royal Musings: Why the young Lord Grosvenor is not yet called the Duke of Westminster

Royal Musings: Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor, 6th Duke of Westminster (1951-2016)

Royal Musings: Georgina, Lady Kennard

What a remarkable man who loved life and lived life to its fullest. If Hugh is anything like his father, he should have no troubles whatsoever in taking over the dukedom and all it entails as his father did when he was 19.

Thanks MarleneKoenig for the information on the etiquette in the passing of the title to the heir. I normally would have assumed that Hugh would instantly become the Duke upon the death of his father and find it touching that it isn't until after the funeral and burial that this occurs. That shows deep respect.

Hugh instantly became the Duke upon the death of his father.
But it's polite to style him as Lord Grosvenor until the funeral.

This is such sad news. :sad:
To me it is totally inappropriate at this time to be discussing inheritance.:sad:

The Dowager Duchess

Does the Duchess of Westminster become the Dowager Duchess upon being widowed by the death of her husband, as some of the previous posts suggest, or not until the new Duke marries and creates a new Duchess? I thought the latter.

I read somewhere that the late Duke's daughters will be well taken care of my Trust Funds set up for them so no one needs to worry about them not getting anything and Hugh getting it all.

The late Duke had lost a lot of weight in recent years but this seemed deliberate as this article from 2014 says he was starting to do more exercise and loose weight. Duke of Westminster: There is no more honourable cause than helping wounded soldiers - Telegraph

A sad loss of a man who tried hard to do good in his life and with his enormous good luck to be born into a wealthy fortune.

Does the Duchess of Westminster become the Dowager Duchess upon being widowed by the death of her husband, as some of the previous posts suggest, or not until the new Duke marries and creates a new Duchess? I thought the latter.

I believe she will still be the Duchess of Westminster until Hugh marries and then she will become the Dowager Duchess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the new Duke married yet?

LaRae

She's technically the Dowager Duchess immediately, but it's common for the widow of a Duke to continue to go by Duchess if the new Duke is unmarried.

Back
Top Bottom