The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-14-2017, 12:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
R.I.P. This year isn't starting out on a good note.
While any death is innately sad, Lord Snowdon lived a full and productive life. Considering he was a Polio survivor, he lived to a ripe old age and only resigned from the House of Lords in 2016.

Being titled by virtue of his marriage to Princess Margaret was one thing but it wasn't his raison d'être and isn't the reason we stand in 2017 remembering him, to quote the Guardian obit, as "a photographer, film-maker, designer and champion of disabled people". He was not just a photographer who was once married to a pretty princess or that he was the brother-in-law of the Queen, but rather a man whose talent, while brilliant, was not confined to the lens.

He was a canny Welshman whose 1999 acceptance of a Life Peerage enabled him to remain in The House of Lords, a decision that shocked many. But his achievements show that his astonishing acceptance of that peerage enabled him to continue his life's work, not only for the disabled, at a very public level and he left a formidable body of work in that area of his life as well.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:53 AM
Royal Highness

I stand corrected Polly was born after Tony and Margaret's marriage as per the blog article. I have to agree with Marg despite Tony's private life, we can't skip over the fact that he was a very talented photographer and his work and passion for the disabled/rights for the disabled cannot be forgotten. I agree with the rest of Marg's post also. He remained close to QEQM even after the divorce and it has been written that he often visited HM and had meals with her. They both had the experience of knowing Margaret and her moods/behaviour.

Royal Musings: Death of the Earl of Snowdon (1930-2017)

Old 01-14-2017, 01:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
Tony has another daughter, Polly, from another affair. She was born shortly before his marriage to Princess Margaret. She would be his oldest child.
I forgot about Polly. I was going to say not really an affair as he wasn't married, but her mother certainly was.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:33 AM
Majesty

As I understood it his children are:
Lord David Armstrong-Jones, 2nd Earl of Snowdon, married with Lady Serena Stanhope (daughter of the 12th Earl of Harrington)
Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, married with Mr Daniel Chatto
Lady Frances Armstrong-Jones, married with Rodolphe Edler (= noble seigneur) von Hofmannstal
Ms Polly Fry, was married to Mr Barnaby Higson
Mr Jasper Cable-Alexander
Old 01-14-2017, 05:08 AM
Courtier

May he rest in peace.

Right up to the end he remained close to the immediate and extended RF, taking many iconic images down through the decades .....

Lord Snowdon has died at the age of 86 but his photographic legacy sure to live on | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-14-2017, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Lord Snowdons half brother is the 7th Earl of Rosse,I'm not sure how close they were and if we will see any of the Irish family at the funeral.

http://travelingboy.com/bev/earl_of_rosse13.jpg
Old 01-14-2017, 08:47 AM
Majesty

Antony Armstrong-Jones, described as a bohémien in many obituaries, was surprisingly well-connected in the aristocracy. His first spouse of course was a princess of the blood royal. His son is the current Earl of Snowdon, his grandson the current Viscount Linley, his two marital daughters are a Lady Armstrong-Jones of which one married an Austrian aristocrat (the Edler von Hofmannstal). His halfbrother is the current Earl Rosse, his nephew is the current Baron Oxmantown and his halfsister is born a Lady Parsons.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

His older sister Susan also married into the Irish nobility by her marriage to the 6th Viscount de Vesci of Abbey,Lord Snowdons nephew is Thomas Eustace Vesey, 7th Viscount de Vesci .
Old 01-14-2017, 09:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've been battling an infected tooth the last few days & w/the Antibiotics I'm on, I've been out of it the last two days, so when I saw the Tribute videos show up in my Notifications listing over at YouTube... I knew Lord Snowdon's health has not been good at all of late, but wasn't expecting his passing, as it sounded as he was holding his own.

What a life he had!! W/out a doubt one that was very full.

Condolences to his Family & Friends. May he Rest In Peace.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 01-14-2017, 11:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
His older sister Susan also married into the Irish nobility by her marriage to the 6th Viscount de Vesci of Abbey,Lord Snowdons nephew is Thomas Eustace Vesey, 7th Viscount de Vesci .
Two of his half brothers (he had three, one from his dad and 2 from his mother) also belong to Irish aristocracy. After her divorce from Anthony's father, his mother married the 6th earl of Rosse. On the death of his stepfather in 1979, his half brother Brendan became 7th earl of Rosse. Margaret was godmother to one of Brendan's three kids. His other two brothers are the honourable Desmond parsons (mothers youngest) and peregrine Armstrong-Jones, his fathers son from his third marriage. He has four nieces and five nephews on his mothers side, not sure about Peregrine, and numerous great nieces and nephews.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:12 AM
Majesty

Most remarkable how well-connected the Armstrong-Jones family is now. I can not imagine any other marriage with a commoner (Camilla is well-rooted but her children did not "marry furtherer") resulting in such a web of aristocrats and gentry. Intriguing.

I think Princess Margaret was happy to see her son, the current Earl of Snowdon marrying the daughter of the current Earl of Harrington. I am not sure if she had a desire to see her children marrying well, after all she herself married the first resl commoner in 400 years.

The late Antony Armstrong-Jones however had a typical upbringing. Was it because his stepfather was the Earl of Rosse or did the Armstrong-Joneses belong to the gentry?
Old 01-17-2017, 02:41 AM
Courtier

When is his funeral?
Old 01-17-2017, 03:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Most remarkable how well-connected the Armstrong-Jones family is now. I can not imagine any other marriage with a commoner (Camilla is well-rooted but her children did not "marry furtherer") resulting in such a web of aristocrats and gentry. Intriguing.

I think Princess Margaret was happy to see her son, the current Earl of Snowdon marrying the daughter of the current Earl of Harrington. I am not sure if she had a desire to see her children marrying well, after all she herself married the first resl commoner in 400 years.

The late Antony Armstrong-Jones however had a typical upbringing. Was it because his stepfather was the Earl of Rosse or did the Armstrong-Joneses belong to the gentry?
Anthony's father Ronald was a lawyer, though he was also in the army during both world wars. He was sheriff of caernovenshire in 1936. His father was a well respected psychiatrist who was a commander of the British empire. He was sheriff of the same district as his son a decade earlier. His father had been knighted. the position of sheriff if that particular area has been held by three members of Anthony's family. His grandmother Margaret Armstrong Jones was the daughter if Sir Owen Roberts, a well known educator, who also held the sheriff position prior to his son in law and grandson.

Anthony was five when his mother married the earl but he was the poster boy of boarding schools. His sister was the only one to visit him when he was in hospital for six months with polio. His fathers family was more educated then overtly wealthy or gentry status.

As for camillas kids. You can certainly argue Laura married up. Though Camilla came from wealthy connections, gentry, her aristocratic blood was minimal. Her maternal grandfather was a baron. You have to go back two more generations for an earl. The Shand side it is much further back.

Harry Lopes on the other hand has four aristocratic grandparents. His father is the younger son of Massey Lopes, the late 2nd baron of Roborough (the current I believe is Harry's cousin). Massey's wife was the daughter of the earl of mount Edgecumbe. Harry's mother is an Astor. His mother is the honourable Sarah Astor, daughter of Gavin, 2nd baron Astor of hever. Sarah's mother was the daughter if the earl of Haig.

I would say marrying someone with four aristocratic grandparents, including an Astor, is definitely an impressive family tree full of connections.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:49 AM
Majesty

I agree with you, I forgot about the Lopes' background. Both the Armstrong-Joneses as the Shands did well. Camilla's own sister Annabel married Simon Elliot, son of Air Chief Marshal Sir William Elliot, GCVO, KCB, KBE, DFC & Bar, also not exactly someone "from the street".

;-)

Fascinating, these entanglements in the who-is-who of society.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:27 AM
Heir Apparent

The funeral was held today in Wales. Not really good pictures of the attendees. I would think there will be a larger memorial service later on in the year

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...laid-rest.html
Old 01-20-2017, 12:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Nice private funeral. Not only near his family home, but where his father, grandfather and great grandfather all served as sheriff.

I agree that there will be a larger memorial. It's pretty customary with higher profile people. Allows the family to mourn in private. And also allows more time to prepare a larger funeral.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:59 PM
Aristocracy

I wonder who the gentleman in the top hat and cape was.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The funeral was held today in Wales. Not really good pictures of the attendees. I would think there will be a larger memorial service later on in the year

Lord Snowdon is laid to rest at secluded Welsh church | Daily Mail Online
Thanks for the link!
Lack of good pictures is understandable. Wishes of the family outweigh curiosity of the public.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:45 AM
Nobility

Lord Snowden funeral: former husband of Princess Margaret laid to rest in Wales | UK | News | Daily Express
Old 01-21-2017, 05:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daenerys Targaryen View Post
I wonder who the gentleman in the top hat and cape was.
The undertaker in his role as master of the ceremonies, I guess.