Old 01-13-2017, 03:52 PM
Royal Highness

Death of a gentleman

Old 01-13-2017, 03:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Death of a gentleman
I'm not sure I'd call him a gentleman, but his death is sad all the same.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

It was a good photographer, I think to Lord Linley, his son and her daughter Sarah, I know that he had also an another duaghter with his second wife

Rest in peace , Sir
Old 01-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Plus a son and a daughter from affairs.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:25 PM
Royal Highness

He was elegant, smart, artist. A free spirit loving fun and life, a bit too much sometimes.
The Tony/Margo couple was explosive bus he was reliable enough to shut his mouth after the divorce.
A gentleman yes, but with a swinging 60's vibe i would say.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:47 PM
Majesty

May Lord Snowdon rest in peace.

He was a talented photographer.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:52 PM
Gentry

I am wondering whether any of the late Earl of Snowdon's royal nephews and niece will be at the funeral (Prince Charles, Prince Andrew, Princess Anne, Prince Edward).
Old 01-13-2017, 05:00 PM
Heir Apparent

It probably depends on what Tony's wishes were. Could be a small private funeral and then a larger memorial service later like we saw with the Duke of Westminster.

Charles is close with David and Sarah and Tony did a lot of pictures for the Wales. I can see him going if there is a larger funeral.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:05 PM
Aristocracy

Kabiyesi Jesu, was my response when I heard this terrible news. May the Earl rest in peace and I pray for comfort for his family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camsterlaird View Post
I am wondering whether any of the late Earl of Snowdon's royal nephews and niece will be at the funeral (Prince Charles, Prince Andrew, Princess Anne, Prince Edward).
The Earl of Wessex will most likely attend because Lord Antony was his godfather and it seems he has the closest relationship to David and Sarah. The of York could also attend possibly.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Royal experts react to the death of Lord Snowdon-
http://itnsourcenews.com/?SearchTerm...Lord%20Snowdon

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-13-2017, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post
Kabiyesi Jesu, was my response when I heard this terrible news. May the Earl rest in peace and I pray for comfort for his family.

The Earl of Wessex will most likely attend because Lord Antony was his godfather and it seems he has the closest relationship to David and Sarah. The of York could also attend possibly.
I agree on Edward. I think, no matter if a 'small' funeral or bigger, we will see a few royals. Unlike the duke of Westminster, they are family. Edward at the very least, considered Anthony was his godfather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
It was a good photographer, I think to Lord Linley, his son and her daughter Sarah, I know that he had also an another duaghter with his second wife

Rest in peace , Sir
His son and her daughter? makes it sound like they were a blended family. Both David and Sarah were Tony's.

Tony has two other children. His daughter you mentioned, her name is Francis. She has two daughters and a son. And then he also has a son jasper from an affair.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:14 PM
Courtier

i wouldn't be surprised if the queen herself attended .
Old 01-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Oh, what sad news - not the sort of thing you like to hear at the beginning of 2017. May he rest in peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camsterlaird View Post
This is probably unlikely but I still wonder what the chances of either one or both of the Cambridges attending the funeral as Snowdon's granddaughter Margarita was a bridesmaid at their wedding, which indicates that the couple are friendly with David.
It will be interesting though to see how many members of the RF will attend.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-13-2017, 06:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video: 1960
Old footage of the late Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon-
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCArchiv...782595/video/1

The elegance of royalty in those days were amazing.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-13-2017, 09:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke of poliganc View Post
i wouldn't be surprised if the queen herself attended .

I agree, as I believe she has been very supportive of David and Sarah through the years.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Most of the obits and commentary today have been about Snowdon as Royal photographer, but he was much more than that.

This is taken from The Times obit.

....Snowdon was also a man of great drive and talent. He was one of the pre-eminent photographers of his age, introducing an informality and dynamism to portraits of stars and royalty and exposing social ills in BBC documentaries and photo essays for The Sunday Times. Stricken by polio as a teenager, he used his royal status to campaign relentlessly for greater recognition of the needs of the disabled and handicapped. He was a talented designer the Snowdon aviary in London Zoo being one of his proudest accomplishments....

..... At the age of 16 he contracted polio while on holiday in Wales and spent six miserable months in Liverpool Royal Infirmary, emerging with a withered left leg and a limp that he never lost.

However, his uncle, the flamboyant stage designer Oliver Messel, made his convalesence more bearable by arranging visits from Nol Coward and Marlene Dietrich, who sang The Boys in the Backroom for him.

Eton also nurtured his interest in photography and design. He revived the schools photographic society, built a rudimentary enlarger out of soup tins and made illicit crystal wireless sets that he sold to schoolmates for half a crown each......

..... He began taking pictures for The Sunday Times, particularly its new colour magazine. Many of his subjects were famous Francis Bacon, David Hockney, Alec Guinness but he also produced acclaimed features on social issues such as children in poverty, the loneliness of old age, the homeless and the mentally ill. He relished the freedom he was given. I could do long, serious pieces with the great luxury of 50 pages on India or 12 pages of Rudolf [Nureyev] and Margot [Fonteyn] in Vienna, he recalled. It also gave me the chance to illustrate social problems that people had tended to sweep under the carpet......

.... However, the cause to which he remained dedicated throughout his life was improving the lot of disabled people, not least because of his experience of polio. His maiden speech in the Lords was on the problems that the disabled suffered in everyday life. He served as a trustee of the National Fund for Research into Crippling Diseases, with the Polio Research Fund, and on commissions that examined the needs of disabled people. He was president for England of the International Year of Disabled Persons in 1981.

Snowdon used his status to force the Royal Horticultural Society to admit wheelchairs and guide dogs to the Chelsea Flower Show, British Rail to improve access to trains for disabled people, and the Hospital for Incurables in Putney to change its name to the Royal Putney Hospital (now the Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability). In 1984, using his fees from royal photographic commissions as seedcorn, he set up the Snowdon Award Scheme (now the Snowdon Trust), which helps disabled people to benefit from further education.

Earl of Snowdon | Register | The Times & The Sunday Times

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-13-2017, 10:01 PM
Nobility

Wow, just yesterday a documentary on him and Princess Margaret popped up on my youtube sidebar and I watched those videos, I posted below.

It seems like he was well liked by both the Queen and the Queen Mother. I know he took photos of the BRF and he also stage managed Charles' investiture as Prince of Wales.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:25 AM
Royal Highness

RIP Lord Snowdon

DAVID ARMSTRONG JONES | Selda Göktaş
LADY SARAH CHATTO | Selda Göktaş
Old 01-14-2017, 12:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Oh, what sad news - not the sort of thing you like to hear at the beginning of 2017. May he rest in peace.

This is probably unlikely but I still wonder what the chances of either one or both of the Cambridges attending the funeral as Snowdon's granddaughter Margarita was a bridesmaid at their wedding, which indicates that the couple are friendly with David.
It will be interesting though to see how many members of the RF will attend.
Honestly margarita being a brudesmaid isn't that much of a sign. There weren't many options age wise in the family, and those of their friends with kids at the time, most weren't old enough. and other then taking their picture as kids. Not sure William or Harry had any kind if relationship with Anthony. It would be one thing for the queen or her kids to attend, who had a personal relationship with tony, but the Cambridges didn't. And David and Sarah are of age with Andrew and Edward, David was a grown man when Willisam was born. If it's a bigger memorial perhaps, but a smaller family one, I think we will see only older ones like Edward and possibly the queen and Charles.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
His son and her daughter? makes it sound like they were a blended family. Both David and Sarah were Tony's.

Tony has two other children. His daughter you mentioned, her name is Francis. She has two daughters and a son. And then he also has a son jasper from an affair.
Tony has another daughter, Polly, from another affair. She was born shortly before his marriage to Princess Margaret. She would be his oldest child.