Counsellors of State

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AustinTexas1961

Commoner
City
Austin
Country
United States
Hello. This is my first post in the forum. My name is Roman. I'm 43 years of age and live in Austin, Texas U.S.A. I'm wondering about something. As I understand it, the Queen has counsellors of state who sign important documents in her absence and also when both she and Prince Charles are away from the country. Who are the members of this council? Sincerely, Roman in Austin, Texas:)

what important documents would she have? I never quite understood the two boxes thing that she has..she has like a red box and a (??) box with different documents in them...One of them is important and the other isn't....???

Only the Queen can do the Red Boxes can't she? Princess Alexandra has been a Counsellor or State too.

I wish the Princess Royal was one....I know it isn't how it works, but it seems so silly that she isn't one when William and Harry are. Not that I don't like them, but they aren't as experianced(or interested it would seem) as their Aunt, who I think is fabulous.:)

This is the full quote from Oppie's link below:

If The Queen is suffering from temporary illness or is absent abroad for more than a few days she may appoint Counsellors of State. She may delegate certain functions of the monarch in Britain, the dependencies, and other territories to them. Commonwealth matters go straight to The Queen, wherever she may be. Any two Counsellors of State may attend Privy Council meetings and they may sign routine documents, but they cannot, for example, dissolve Parliament - except on The Queen's express instructions - nor create peers.

At present, Counsellors of State are appointed from among the following: The Duke of Edinburgh and the four adults next in succession (provided they have reached the age of 21). These are currently The Prince of Wales, Prince William of Wales, Prince Harry of Wales and The Duke of York.

So the Princess Royal was a Counsellor of State until Prince William turned 21 (Philip, Charles, Andrew, Edward and Anne). William replaced Anne, and Harry replaced Edward.

How comforting to know that if The Queen falls ill, Harry has the power to rule...

God help us all.

Harry and someone else.

Important documents I guess they could sign bills into law. Especially if it an emergency (a natural disaster somewhere and a bill needs to be passed to get emergency supplies to them). I'm sure for the most part it is Charles and someone else. (Since Philip is usually with the Queen)

Warren - I linked because I though we couldn't copy and paste articles. Is info from an official site ok ?

Re:

How comforting to know that if The Queen falls ill, Harry has the power to rule...

And why shouldn't he? Free gin for all, compulsory parties until dawn and a King who gets the young girls swooning - Yes Please.

BeatrixFan said:
And why shouldn't he? Free gin for all, compulsory parties until dawn and a King who gets the young girls swooning - Yes Please.

And what young man doesn't, there are worse children out there, but i expect hes more than capable.

GOD SAVE HM QUEEN ELIZABETH II

Oppie, you can paste a short extract from a copyrighted article as well as linking to the original. The consensus seems to be that pasting no more than 20% of an article should be OK.

Warren said:
This is the full quote from Oppie's link below:

If The Queen is suffering from temporary illness or is absent abroad for more than a few days she may appoint Counsellors of State. She may delegate certain functions of the monarch in Britain, the dependencies, and other territories to them. Commonwealth matters go straight to The Queen, wherever she may be. Any two Counsellors of State may attend Privy Council meetings and they may sign routine documents, but they cannot, for example, dissolve Parliament - except on The Queen's express instructions - nor create peers.

At present, Counsellors of State are appointed from among the following: The Duke of Edinburgh and the four adults next in succession (provided they have reached the age of 21). These are currently The Prince of Wales, Prince William of Wales, Prince Harry of Wales and The Duke of York.

So the Princess Royal was a Counsellor of State until Prince William turned 21 (Philip, Charles, Andrew, Edward and Anne). William replaced Anne, and Harry replaced Edward.

oh! so that is why they made a big deal about Prince William turing 21. I never got that. they praticaly ignored the other birthdays then all of the sudden it was front page news.

Camilla to be Counsellor of State?

Just been reading an article on Counsellors of State and it said that aswell as the four people next in line to the throne after the moanrch, the monarch's consort is also eligable to be a Counsellor of State. Thus when Charles becomes King this will mean Camilla will be able to act as a Counsellor when Charles is away. I am right or not? Or do you think they might change the rules?
:ermm:

Yes, you're right; the consort is eligible to be a Counsellor of State. I see no reason why they'd change that law; whether Camilla is Queen or Princess Consort, she'd still be the consort and still be an HRH or HM.

The Regency Act was amended early in Elizabeth II's reign to allow the Queen Mother to act as a Counsellor of State even though she was no longer the consort of the sovereign. So in fact if Camilla outlives Charles, there's precedent for her to continue to be a Counsellor of State in William's reign.

What exactly does a Councellor of State do? Is it like the Scandinavian Crown Princes begin Regent while their father/mother is out of the country?

Pretty much, I think. The Counsellors of State take on some of the Queen's official duties while she's out of the country or incapacitated.

:D

Oh I bet this is going to go over REAL BIG with the cheering club of Diana.

Well, THAT is very interesting--I had no idea that the consort had that type of influence? power? what word are we looking for here?

Sooooo, this means what? She could start a war? She could behead someone if she wanted? Are you saying she will automatically gain that role or would she have to be given the role? I dont know what I think about that really. I think she should stick to being a wife and step-mum and not be given so much power. Thats kinda scary. I would hope that someone would be absolutely sure she is prepared to take on such an important role before she would even be considered for something that important. Dont mean to sound sarcastic, just wondering.:flowers:

Basically, it means that if the monarch is out of the country the Counsellors of State can take the monarch's place. However, two CoSs have to be present. They can do the red boxes, recieve ambassadors, attend privy council meets and pretty much anything else the monarch delegates to them. Before they leave the country, the monarch names the Counsellors who'll be doing her duty in the UK whilst they are absent. For example, when the Queen visited Malta in 2005 Charles, William and Harry were Counsellors of State. All this would mean is that if Charles went anywhere as King without Camilla, the Counsellors of State would be Camilla, William and Harry.

This is something I would have expected as she will be consort. This has nothing to do with like/dislike Camilla v Diana....this is simply the law and precedence, like it or not, kids. :)

I quite like it.

^No beheadings, but unfortunately the death penalty is carried out other ways. :bang:
Anyway related to the topic, Camilla would be a brilliant CoS. She'll be grand at receiving ambassadors, awarding MBE's, etc. :cool:

News to me. Britain doesn't use the death penalty any more.

Totally agree about Camilla. When I get that Knighthood I think I'll request she does the dubbing.

^No beheadings, but unfortunately the death penalty is carried out other ways. :bang:
Anyway related to the topic, Camilla would be a brilliant CoS. She'll be grand at receiving ambassadors, awarding MBE's, etc. :cool:
As BeatrixFan has already said, we don't have a death penalty. :ermm:

^ Sorry, ladies, I know my Off Topic comment was confusing because you were talking about Britain. Accept with my apology this: Hoorah for Britain, and me hopes one day the US won't have it either. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom