The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Commoner

I actually don't think that's true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Yes because she is automatically a counsellor of state whereas he wouldn't be.

She would get precedence for this role not necessarily in other areas.

NB Although Philip has been eligible throughout the Queen's reign he has never served because they have only been appointed when the Queen has been out of the country and Philip has always accompanied her.

Usually only one or two need to be appointed each time.

If the Queen passed away next year then Beatrice would immediately be eligible even if Philip was allowed to remain on the list as she would then be 4th in line to the throne whereas Philip would only be the father of the King and about 600th in line in his own right (I am sure that someone will tell be exactly where he is now).
At some point there were lists (on Wikipedia, linked to London Gazette articles) for much of the 1960s through the 1980s at least where the Queen traveled abroad and the Duke of Edinburgh stayed behind to act as a Counsellor of State. So yes, I'm quite sure the good Duke has served multiple times as a most faithful Counsellor in matters of state to Her Majesty.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:37 PM
Majesty

The Queen has never travelled abroad without the Duke and thus he has never served as a CoS.

https://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsa...Edinburgh.aspx

#13 Prince Philip has accompanied The Queen on all 251 of her official overseas visits.

As he always has accompanied The Queen he has not had the opportunity to be a CoS.

He has, of course, done another 250+ overseas tours on his own but always accompanies The Queen on her overseas tours.

I will believe that official monarchy website on this issue methinks.

And again in 2012

#36 Apart from accompanying The Queen on all her Commonwealth tours and State Visits abroad, The Duke has made many visits to the smaller Commonwealth countries on his own.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think those pages are completely correct. The Queen went on two short trips to Canada without Prince Philip in the early 90s. He was traveling overseas quite frequently at the time, though, so I don't know that he was in Britain.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Majesty

In my analysis of past royal engagements I came across a few interesting things about CoSs:

1. the same two CoS's don't necessarily carry out all the duties during the one absence of the Queen e.g. in 2002 when The Queen and Philip were in Australia there were two occasions when CoS's had to carry out the duties of the monarch - first time it was Charles and Edward but a couple of days later it was Edward and Anne (note that Anne was replaced by William in 2003 and Edward replaced by Harry in 2005)

2. The Queen doesn't have to be out of the country. In May 2002 The Queen and Philip were carrying out duties in Cornwall while Charles and Edward carried out duties as CoS's at BP.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Commoner

sorry, wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Queen has never travelled abroad without the Duke and thus he has never served as a CoS.

#13 Prince Philip has accompanied The Queen on all 251 of her official overseas visits.

As he always has accompanied The Queen he has not had the opportunity to be a CoS.

He has, of course, done another 250+ overseas tours on his own but always accompanies The Queen on her overseas tours.

I will believe that official monarchy website on this issue methinks.

And again in 2012

#36 Apart from accompanying The Queen on all her Commonwealth tours and State Visits abroad, The Duke has made many visits to the smaller Commonwealth countries on his own.
As much as I wish I could believe you, I know that is not the case. For one thing, the British monarchy website is unreliable; I have found many errors of fact on it. For example, Prince George of Cambridge was listed as being born on October 23, 2013. Uh, no, he was born July 22, 2013 and christened October 23rd. Albert and Leopold Windsor are listed in the line of succession to the throne. Unfortunately they are also Catholic and under the Act of Settlement 1701 are like their father Lord Nicholas and grandfather Prince Michael of Kent, disbarred from the throne, so thusly there is no earthy way they can be in the line of succession to the British throne. They are in the line of succession for the Dukedom of Kent but I won't hold my breath waiting for either to secede. Doubtlessly there are other errors on the site that I can't recall and that haven't been discovered yet. But I have seen letters patent naming the Duke of Edinburgh as a Counsellor of State. In order for him to be listed, he had to stay behind, as under the terms of the Regency Act 1943, those Counsellors who are absent or accompanying Her Majesty are not listed among those acting. I will try to dig up the Letters Patent listing the Counsellors of State from the 1960s and 1970s.
My question is, who is staying behind to mind the store? Are either Prince Henry of Wales or the Duke of York accompanying the Queen or will either be out of the country for any period of time when she is not or a more senior member isn't named? Because if so, then amended legislation to the Regency Acts will need to be passed before Her Majesty leaves for France.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Commoner

Uh, no

I found them in the archive of the Counsellor of State page for Wikipedia, from Dec. 2009.
The Duke of Edinburgh stayed behind as a Counsellor of State on the following occasions:
June 25-July 5, 1973: Canada
October 17-October 22, 1973: Australia
January 30-February 28, 1974: New Zealand, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, Australia, Indonesia.
February 16-March 1, 1975: The Caribbean realms and Mexico
May 26-May 26, 1978: West Germany
July 6-August 8, 1978: Canada
The Duke was also listed as a Counsellor at varying points in 1976 before joining the Queen in Montreal with the Prince of Wales, the Prince Andrew, the Prince Edward and the Princess Anne to watch the Princess compete in the 1976 Olympics.
Since then he has almost always joined the Queen on her foreign trips, as he's not listed as a Counsellor. I've cited 7 separate occasions where he's served as a Counsellor. Just a friendly point: When I put something in writing, I always check my facts first. Cheers!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:50 PM
Majesty

I quoted from the British Monarch Website - their official website which would be to me more reliable than Wikipedia.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by democratnmonocole View Post
As much as I wish I could believe you, I know that is not the case. For one thing, the British monarchy website is unreliable; I have found many errors of fact on it. For example, Prince George of Cambridge was listed as being born on October 23, 2013. Uh, no, he was born July 22, 2013 and christened October 23rd. Albert and Leopold Windsor are listed in the line of succession to the throne. Unfortunately they are also Catholic and under the Act of Settlement 1701 are like their father Lord Nicholas and grandfather Prince Michael of Kent, disbarred from the throne, so thusly there is no earthy way they can be in the line of succession to the British throne. They are in the line of succession for the Dukedom of Kent but I won't hold my breath waiting for either to secede. Doubtlessly there are other errors on the site that I can't recall and that haven't been discovered yet. But I have seen letters patent naming the Duke of Edinburgh as a Counsellor of State. In order for him to be listed, he had to stay behind, as under the terms of the Regency Act 1943, those Counsellors who are absent or accompanying Her Majesty are not listed among those acting. I will try to dig up the Letters Patent listing the Counsellors of State from the 1960s and 1970s.
My question is, who is staying behind to mind the store? Are either Prince Henry of Wales or the Duke of York accompanying the Queen or will either be out of the country for any period of time when she is not or a more senior member isn't named? Because if so, then amended legislation to the Regency Acts will need to be passed before Her Majesty leaves for France.

I'm not going to comment on the bulk of this, but I will say that Albert and Leopold Windsor are included in the line of succession because while they're being raised Catholic they have yet to be confirmed as such. When they are confirmed in the faith they'll be removed from the line of succession.

Similar happened with their cousins, Lord Downpatrick and Lady Marina-Charlotte, and similar will happen with their other cousin, Lady Amelia. The elder two were in the line of succession but removed upon their confirmations, while the younger (their youngest sibling) is still in the succession because she hasn't been confirmed.

There is an increasingly popular belief that a person doesn't truly belong to a faith until they make the conscious decision to join it. If you look at Wikipedia, it lists the children of Lord Nicholas, and the youngest daughter of the Earl of St. Andrews as being in the line of succession as well.

Also, Prince George is listed as being born in July, not October.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Majesty

As the trip to France is for three days or less no CoS's are needed to be appointed at all.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

I just found these pictures of Andrew and Edward receiving the new Belgian ambassador in 2002. I think it's the only time I've ever seen counsellors of state photographed performing an official duty.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3cb9f853.jpg
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...ps06a12ad1.jpg
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5f2ffec1.jpg
Old 06-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
I just found these pictures of Andrew and Edward receiving the new Belgian ambassador in 2002. I think it's the only time I've ever seen counsellors of state photographed performing an official duty.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3cb9f853.jpg
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...ps06a12ad1.jpg
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5f2ffec1.jpg
Which room at Buckingham Palace is this?

Tags
british monarchy, camilla, counsellors of state, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales