The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Serene Highness

Sooooo, this means what? She could start a war? She could behead someone if she wanted? Are you saying she will automatically gain that role or would she have to be given the role? I dont know what I think about that really. I think she should stick to being a wife and step-mum and not be given so much power. Thats kinda scary. I would hope that someone would be absolutely sure she is prepared to take on such an important role before she would even be considered for something that important. Dont mean to sound sarcastic, just wondering.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 PM

Basically, it means that if the monarch is out of the country the Counsellors of State can take the monarch's place. However, two CoSs have to be present. They can do the red boxes, recieve ambassadors, attend privy council meets and pretty much anything else the monarch delegates to them. Before they leave the country, the monarch names the Counsellors who'll be doing her duty in the UK whilst they are absent. For example, when the Queen visited Malta in 2005 Charles, William and Harry were Counsellors of State. All this would mean is that if Charles went anywhere as King without Camilla, the Counsellors of State would be Camilla, William and Harry.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Royal Highness

This is something I would have expected as she will be consort. This has nothing to do with like/dislike Camilla v Diana....this is simply the law and precedence, like it or not, kids. :-)
Old 01-15-2008, 10:57 PM

I quite like it.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Royal Highness

I quite agree, BeatrixFan!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-16-2008, 05:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Sooooo, this means what? She could start a war? She could behead someone if she wanted?.
We don't behead anyone nowadays.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:41 PM

^No beheadings, but unfortunately the death penalty is carried out other ways.
Anyway related to the topic, Camilla would be a brilliant CoS. She'll be grand at receiving ambassadors, awarding MBE's, etc.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 PM

News to me. Britain doesn't use the death penalty any more.

Totally agree about Camilla. When I get that Knighthood I think I'll request she does the dubbing.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
^No beheadings, but unfortunately the death penalty is carried out other ways.
Anyway related to the topic, Camilla would be a brilliant CoS. She'll be grand at receiving ambassadors, awarding MBE's, etc.
As BeatrixFan has already said, we don't have a death penalty.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:09 PM

^ Sorry, ladies, I know my Off Topic comment was confusing because you were talking about Britain. Accept with my apology this: Hoorah for Britain, and me hopes one day the US won't have it either.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

It wouldn't be inappropriate for Camilla to take on this role, especially since her powers would be limited to those of the monarch... and the UK is a constitutional monarchy. I'm sure she would be very conscientious about carrying out her husband's wishes.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Basically, it means that if the monarch is out of the country the Counsellors of State can take the monarch's place. However, two CoSs have to be present. They can do the red boxes, recieve ambassadors, attend privy council meets and pretty much anything else the monarch delegates to them. Before they leave the country, the monarch names the Counsellors who'll be doing her duty in the UK whilst they are absent. For example, when the Queen visited Malta in 2005 Charles, William and Harry were Counsellors of State. All this would mean is that if Charles went anywhere as King without Camilla, the Counsellors of State would be Camilla, William and Harry.
Thank you for the explanation. I understand now.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
It wouldn't be inappropriate for Camilla to take on this role, especially since her powers would be limited to those of the monarch... and the UK is a constitutional monarchy. I'm sure she would be very conscientious about carrying out her husband's wishes.
Why is it inappropriate? Almost every other member of the Royal Family has done it, why not Camilla.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Why is it inappropriate? Almost every other member of the Royal Family has done it, why not Camilla.
I think iowabelle said it would NOT be inappropriate for Camilla to take on that role.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:10 PM

Sorry iowabelle - blame the fact that I'm still waiting on new glasses!
Old 01-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Sorry iowabelle - blame the fact that I'm still waiting on new glasses!
No problem, Sam. It was a difficult sentence to read!

I have every confidence that Camilla wouldn't do something silly, like threaten to behead Gordon Brown, or decree that everybody should wear purple on Mondays.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
As do I. But if worse came to worst, I think that the others--with wise counsel and dedication--would "step up to the plate."

As certainly Beatrice will serve, or be eligible to serve, as a Coucillor of State, she most certainly has been trained as to the role by her grandmother. How much training Eugenie has had isn't as clear as there is less possibility of her needing to but it is still certainly a strong possibility.

Councillors of State are the next four adults in line to the throne over 21 so until William and or Harry have children reach 21 Beatrice will be serving during the reigns of Charles and even possibly William. For her to never serve the Queen will have to be alive to see William or Harry's eldest child reach 21 and as neither of them are married that means at least another 22 years reaching 105 and Charles being older than his mother is now. If William becomes King in the mean time then both Beatrice and Eugenie would be serving (which is why I don't see them as minor royals - they can be called upon to do the job of the monarch when the monarch is out of the country, like their father, uncle and cousins can now.)

The other person eligible to be a Councillor of State is the spouse of the monarch e.g. Philip and the Queen Mother kept that right until her death so I would assume that if Philip outlived the Queen he would retain that right. I would also assume that Camilla would be able to serve once Charles is King and would keep that right until her death. Those last two points aren't a given of course but my assumptions.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Heir Apparent

This could be why they have full-time police protection as well. Thank you for the additional info re: Councillors of State.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The other person eligible to be a Councillor of State is the spouse of the monarch e.g. Philip and the Queen Mother kept that right until her death so I would assume that if Philip outlived the Queen he would retain that right.
He wouldn't retain it automatically. The Queen Mother lost her right when her husband died, but it was restored by the Regency Act 1953. The provision only applied to her, though, so Philip (and Camilla) would have to be granted an exception (or a more general change would have to be made).
Old 04-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

So hypothetically if Charles granted Camilla an exception just like the Queen Mum was granted (which I could see him doing), then Beatrice or Eugenie wouldn't be serving as Councillor of State even when Charles becomes King. The four people would be Camilla, Prince Andrew, William and Harry.
Either way it seems a far way off as I could see the Queen living into her 90's like her mother did.

Tags
british monarchy, camilla, counsellors of state, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales