Could the princes' future wives continue working?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meghan seems like she was wants to be the BRF Angelina jolie.
Flit around the work when it suits her and then drag herself back to Britain to put in some time

Wonder what Charles, William and The Queen this of all this

I highly doubt Meghan can continue working as an actress in the future .
Meghan has anyway shown that she's inclined towards humanitarian causes so being Harry's wife would give her the leverage to support the causes she's passionate about n have a lovely family life as well .

Flit around the work when it suits her and then drag herself back to Britain to put in some time

Do you have sources to back up that this is what she wants to do? I've not seen anything credible that points to this at all. To me, Meghan is a far cry from a person mirroring Angelina Jolie. She doesn't "mirror" anyone but as a person is pretty well grounded in who she is and is comfortable in her own skin being who she is.

With this in mind, its totally within the realm of possibility that there is really nothing of the sort for Charles, William and The Queen to even spend a split second thinking about it.

Last edited:
Call me cynical But tax wise she is better off being a UK citizen.

How's that? I thought that the US taxes were lower. Anyway I hardly think that paying taxes is going to be a problem or her when she marries inot a very rich family...

I highly doubt Meghan can continue working as an actress in the future .
Meghan has anyway shown that she's inclined towards humanitarian causes so being Harry's wife would give her the leverage to support the causes she's passionate about n have a lovely family life as well .

This is exactly as I see it too. It is what makes the most sense to me from all I've read about her outlooks on life, her ambitions and her stating that she does want a home and family life.

Welcome to TRF Rhea6. Good to have you here with us. :D

According to the Sunday Times she doesn't want to be an identikit duchess. In a better of willls Meghan doesn't stand a chance against the The Queen.

Why is Meghan going to have a battle of wills with the Queen? Apart from the prattling of a Times journalist do you have a link to any sources that say that is Meghan's intention? Or is this looking for troubles ahead when there is nothing there?

The "identikit duchess" term does not really, in any way, mean that Meghan is dead set upon going against the grain of what the definition of "duchess" means or seeks to redefine what her role would be within the "Firm".

Its the difference perhaps that instead of the mild and meek deferential person always willing to walk three steps behind her husband, she would be one that can match his passion to get out there and do what needs to be done. She would be self assured enough not to have to be in her husband's back pocket 24/7 and have definite ideas of which way she would like her charitable endeavors to go. I think also she will be more like a Camilla in that her status, her title and her "place" in the scheme of things will not be a focus for Meghan but with walking side by side with her husband in all things, Harry and their family will take top priority and their "job" of representing the family "Firm" will be just as important.

It has been said that those people at the top of the social scale don't need to put on airs and graces because they have nothing to prove to anyone. The further down the scale one goes, the more you are going to find those airs and graces of people wanting to show their own self importance and position in the scheme of things. We definitely do not see any of these traits in Harry and I think he'd run as fast (or faster) than Usain Bolt to get away from a person in his life that exhibited these character traits.

Exactly - and Harry is not any different.

And I doubt that's what the public wants, now that the Cambridges are more and more included in the firm imagine a couple who fly around the world for charity but do no bread and butter work in Britain.

Meghan's career as an actress is over as soon as there is an engagement but I am sure she is fully ok with it - because, exactly as you stated, she might think that the BRF is in need of a royal Angelina Jolie. Nothing could be further from the truth but I think both Meghan and Harry think that this could work. Both will soon learn that the press will be relentless and that Harry could lose his image as the good charitable guy who can basically do what he wants.

Interesting times ahead, no doubt.

The Jolie comparison seems to be a favorite of Meghan's critics but it sounds like a pretty random and flimsy attempt to downplay how hard she's worked to get to where she is.

Unlike every member of the BRF, she wasn't born with any privilege. Everything she's accomplished has come from her own desire to be successful and make a difference. There is really no reason to think she wouldn't be one of the harder working royals. The fact that she may want to expand on her role as duchess only reinforces that idea.

How's that? I thought that the US taxes were lower. Anyway I hardly think that paying taxes is going to be a problem or her when she marries inot a very rich family...

In the UK you pay tax on yr UK earnings; in the US you pay tax on all yr earnings.

In the UK you pay tax on yr UK earnings; in the US you pay tax on all yr earnings.

That's not entirely accurate. As a US citizen, she would have to include her income all over the world, but she'd be able to get credit for foreign taxes paid as well. However, there are additional disclosure form IRS requires for US Citizens with financial interest in a foreign bank account or financial asset. The preparation of these documents alone can get costly and pain in rear end.

Oh I agree massively! For this reason alone she'd be best giving up.

This is your post I was responding to;

Nowhere in it does it mention that it would cause unnecessary headache when doing engagements on behalf of HM. Nor does it offer any explanation as to why you said "some might think BRF is very different from celebrity".

I'll repeat myself though, that Meghan having dual citizenship should she wish to keep her american status doesn't make anything different in my eyes. Like I said she'll become an automatic British citizen we assume, so what's the harm?

Also there's no question about "if" she could keep her US citizenship, of course she can. They question us should she.
Well, if you read the parts of the conversation that happened before, it was pretty obvious. I also stated very clearly that the unnecessary headache would be from an appearances standpoint. I don't think I'd have to restate everything in every post.

With that said, automatically becoming a British citizen isn't the issue, the headache would come from if she chose to remain a US citizen. Forget all the logistics, this would play out a bit of controversy in the media and public opinion. And I've never questioned if she could, I know she could from a legal perspective as stated by others before. And yes, the BRF is very much like celebrities in that they have to maintain a certain image.

Last edited:
Jacqui;
We're going to have to agree to disagree because I don't see their being any unnecessary headache from an appearance standpoint with Meghan having dual citizenship. No controversy or issues with public opinion IMO, it's not like she'd use her citizenship for any advantages.

Jacqui;
We're going to have to agree to disagree because I don't see their being any unnecessary headache from an appearance standpoint with Meghan having dual citizenship. No controversy or issues with public opinion IMO, it's not like she'd use her citizenship for any advantages.

I'd go a bit further and say that with dual citizenship, its a sign of strength of character even. If Meghan could just throw away her US citizenship because she had better fish to fry, its also possible that she could throw away everything that comes her way with being married to Harry should another bigger fish appear on the scene.

Sometimes staying true to what you are and loyal to what is a big part of who you are shows a strong character.

I'd go a bit further and say that with dual citizenship, its a sign of strength of character even. If Meghan could just throw away her US citizenship because she had better fish to fry, its also possible that she could throw away everything that comes her way with being married to Harry should another bigger fish appear on the scene.

Sometimes staying true to what you are and loyal to what is a big part of who you are shows a strong character.

I don't know if I'd attach that much to a citizenship. You are who you are despite your country of origin or where life takes you. Especially being an immigrant myself.

I don't know if I'd attach that much to a citizenship. You are who you are despite your country of origin or where life takes you. Especially being an immigrant myself.

I think what I was trying to put across is not so much the importance of a citizenship but that, at a personal level, to remain true to oneself. It most certainly will be a personal decision whatever Meghan decides to do as far as citizenship. We have no clue whatsoever what Meghan's thoughts are on the matter or what importance she puts personally on different things.

Exactly - and Harry is not any different.

And I doubt that's what the public wants, now that the Cambridges are more and more included in the firm imagine a couple who fly around the world for charity but do no bread and butter work in Britain.

Meghan's career as an actress is over as soon as there is an engagement but I am sure she is fully ok with it - because, exactly as you stated, she might think that the BRF is in need of a royal Angelina Jolie. Nothing could be further from the truth but I think both Meghan and Harry think that this could work. Both will soon learn that the press will be relentless and that Harry could lose his image as the good charitable guy who can basically do what he wants.

Interesting times ahead, no doubt.

At this point we don't know anything about what Meghan thinks the royal family needs. In any event, should she and Harry become engaged it will be the BRF telling the couple what the institution needs from them, not the other way around.

The monarch for most of Harry and Meghan's married life would likely be Charles, not QEII. I don't think it's safe to assume King Charles will take the same hands off approach his mother did in the 80s and early 90s should he not like something about the way his sons or daughters in law are acting as working royals. OTOH, I think it WOULD be safe to assume Charles's lifetime allotment of patience with 'celebrity' royals who advance their own agenda ahead of that of the monarchy was exhausted a long time ago. So hopefully that's not even on Harry's radar as an acceptable option for either himself or his future wife because I think he'd be shut down, hard.

My response to some of the things written here:

Can Meghan continue working outside the monarchy after being married to Harry? In my opinion - No, she can't. Why? Because it may (and certainly will) be conflicts of interest, and it will lead to criticism of both Meghan and the royal family, and that will be disastrous for the monarchy. The other reason is her security etc.

So if there is any truth (which I don't think it is) in the Roya Nikkhah article in the Times (usually a very reliable source, although she has been wrong before), then it shows again that Harry isn't thinking before making decisions.

And will the courtiers be able to stop him? I don't know, he seems to be a pretty strong-willed person.

Will the Queen be able to stop him?
Of course she would. Neither Harry nor any other family members would have wanted or dared to go against her Majesty's will.

But more importantly, will she stop him? I don't know. She is not afraid to tell William to stand up at the balcony or to tell him what uniform to wear for his wedding etc, and as he said in 2012: You don't mess with your grandmother. But she's also acording to both William, Harry and several former courtiers, a person who let her family find their own way in life.

And she doesn't have the same close relationship with Harry as she has with William. Yes, he loves her and always talk very kindly about her, but, as he himself said in a TV interview (american, I think), he rarely sees her.

Are the royal family celebrities? No, they are not.

The most important role of British royal family members (with the style and title of HRH and Prince/Princess, except for Beatrice and Eugenie) is to support the Queen in her role as Head of State and Head of Nation in the UK and her role as Head of State in the other 15 Commonwealth realms and in her role as Head of the Commonwealth.

Their other important role (if we can call it that) is to take on charities, but that is also in a way on behalf of the monarch. Why? Because they do it as royal work.

If she marries Harry she will have to do her duties, which is what the British public is paying her for. They're not paying for her to shoot films or engage in business deals. They aren't going to pay her to profit from being connected to all those at the top.

If she marries Harry she will have to do her duties, which is what the British public is paying her for. They're not paying for her to shoot films or engage in business deals. They aren't going to pay her to profit from being connected to all those at the top.

Contrary to popular opinion, the public does not "pay" for any royal to do their engagements and duties. The only thing that the public pays directly for is their security. If you're interested in where the money comes from and how the royals are financed, there's an entire thread on the subject which also contain the yearly reports of where the money came from and how it was spent.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/royal-wealth-and-finances-9826.html

Wouldn't it be amazing if she continues her acting work as a royal even if she marries Harry? :flowers: That would be a game-changer. I am reminded that Harry has spoken about modernizing the monarchy. This would certainly do it. One can hope, for her sake, if that's what she would want, of course. She might be fine letting the acting go, too. (I am reminded how disappointed Princess Grace was losing any option to continue her career. In her case, I think she thought she would be able to continue acting at some point, and when that point came, it was denied her).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't it be amazing if she continues her acting work as a royal even if she marries Harry? :flowers: That would be a game-changer. I am reminded that Harry has spoken about modernizing the monarchy. This would certainly do it. One can hope, for her sake, if that's what she would want, of course. She might be fine letting the acting go, too. (I am reminded how disappointed Princess Grace was losing any option to continue her career. In her case, I think she thought she would be able to continue acting at some point, and when that point came, it was denied her).

Grace was much more known and younger so there's really not much similarity between she and Meghan, who has said also she wants a family and realizes her career may need to take a back seat to family life.

I think it's very unlikely Meghan will continue as an actress. For the reasons already mentioned dozens of times already in the threads here.

LaRae

I think it's very unlikely Meghan will continue as an actress. For the reasons already mentioned dozens of times already in the threads here. LaRae

Yes, but those reasons are rooted in an 'old version' of royalty 101. :cool: Harry talked about 'modernizing'. I think he has ideas. Might surprise us. Might. Maybe.

Harry isn't in charge of the way the monarchy is run though. Charles will be in charge of modernizing the monarchy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but those reasons are rooted in an 'old version' of royalty 101. :cool: Harry talked about 'modernizing'. I think he has ideas. Might surprise us. Might. Maybe.

He can modernize all he wants, and he will to an extent. But there are so many practical reasons why her continuing her work outside of the royal family just wouldn't work.

It's reasons based on comments given by Meghan herself too...and modernizing doesn't mean a total departure or swift changes.

Very unlikely Meghan will continue as an actress if she marries Harry.

LaRae

Harry isn't in charge of the way the monarchy is run though. Charles will be in charge of modernizing the monarchy.

Totally get that. :cool: But Harry so saying suggests that he has some ideas, and I'm sure he would be running those ideas by both his grandmother and father. Just a hunch. When it comes to marriage I think Charles will lend a sympathetic ear. JMO.

It's reasons based on comments given by Meghan herself too...and modernizing doesn't mean a total departure or swift changes.

Very unlikely Meghan will continue as an actress if she marries Harry.

LaRae

I agree with you. One thing is that Meghan is well established as a character on Suits and if she were to continue this role, she would still have to be pretty much based in Canada when filming. Suits isn't going to come to the UK for her. After a very long distance relationship and courtship, I don't see either one of them relishing the idea of a long distance marriage. Meghan most certainly wouldn't start from scratch as an actress in the UK going around on auditions for parts either. She'd never know if she got a part on her own merits or because she was a titled member of the British Royal Family. That would really be disheartening, I think.

So I think the acting career will pretty much come to an end with any marriage to Harry. I just don't see any way in which it is a viable option.

Back
Top Bottom