Could the princes' future wives continue working?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And most importantly his family would never ask that of him.....the love him and trust him to make the right choice for his life. After all is he is not a child or teenager........he is a mature adult who knows the world and has been around and with all of his life experiences he can make solid decisions on his won. So why would anyone even think that his family would make his choice is just wanting drama and to stir up trouble. I am thrilled if he choices any woman to be his wife for from all indications he wants a family of his own.....and he should be able to have that.

The idea floated was that if "everyone" didn't allow Meghan to continue acting-so she could continue her own life doing her own thing (presuming they do marry) Harry would ditch the BRF. I'm skeptical of the whole premise.

Last edited:
There is an easy solution for that then. Harry moves out of the government owned KP, gives up his government security, stops being a working royal and becomes a private citizen. Then there will be no expectations for his wife to work for the British people and she can continue her acting career.

very sensible!! Of course it wont happen, Skippyboo, as it is all nonsense. Harry isn't the brightest but he must realise that Meg can't go on with acting, will have to become a UK citizen and share his title and do "royal work".
I'd have no ojbection to his marrying Meghan if he gave up his title and royal status, became a private citizen and he and his wife can do what they like

where did he do this? Come on. Harry would be lost without his family and family wealth.

I don't think he would be lost and he does have money of his own, as does Meghan. However, I don't think he would walk away for the reason he stated himself.

I don't think he would be lost and he does have money of his own, as does Meghan. However, I don't think he would walk away for the reason he stated himself.

Not the sort of money he has as Charles' son and a prince. Mind you if he wants to leave the RF, and let Meghan act and live abroad, on his own money, I would have no objection.

I think with his inheritance from his mother, his share of the trust fund from the Queen Mother and most likely inheritances from his grandmother and his father, he's pretty well set for life no matter what he does. :D

I don't see it happening though in any way, shape or form. He's truly found his niche with his own charities, his participation in the Royal Foundation and will be working more and more as a senior royal in the years to come.

A man such as Harry wouldn't be coming across as such the happy and easy going guy we see when he's out on public engagements if he's filled with inner turmoil about his role in the scheme of things. He wears his heart on his sleeve too much to hide it.

I think Meghan's acting is really a no-brainer when it comes to the two of them marrying. It really doesn't fit into the scheme of things for a royal duchess, there are far more opportunities for her to expand on what she is and would like to do with a marriage to Harry than pursuing it on her own and the big clincher is they'll be able to have a family. I think both Harry and Meghan are definitely the sort of people that would list their family as their #1 top priority (and that includes the BRF as family).

Not the sort of money he has as Charles' son and a prince. Mind you if he wants to leave the RF, and let Meghan act and live abroad, on his own money, I would have no objection.

He is still Charles' son, no matter what. Even if he leaves as a full time working royal, he's not walking away from his family. Duchy of Cornwall pays only for their expenses related to royal engagements. Not personal expenses.

he's not going to leave, for goodness sake. He knows where he's well off.

Last edited:
I think with his inheritance from his mother, his share of the trust fund from the Queen Mother and most likely inheritances from his grandmother and his father, he's pretty well set for life no matter what he does. :D

I . He wears his heart on his sleeve too much to hide it.

I ).
he would not have the same luxurious lifestyle as someone who had left the BRF as he has when he is within it.
and from what he's been saying lately about his depression and trauma over Diana's death and having therapy I wuoldn't say that he's that much of a happy go lucky guy. He certainly seemed to portray himself as someone with conflicts and traumas.

Harry doesn't seem the type to really go for the overly posh and luxurious way of life to me for the most part. He has said that his time in the Army with the rest of his buddies was some of the best times he's had. He'd be as happy camping in a tent as he would be in a 5 star hotel. :D

Sure, he's had his issues and conflicts and inner turmoil but, with support, he's worked on them and they're no longer the onus that they once were. He's matured, he's grown, he seems pretty set that what he wants to do is use his position to make a difference in this world and what better stage to do that than being a working member of the BRF?

Most importantly, and this relates to his wife "working", he's met someone that does not only love him for the Harry he is, but seems to share the same passion for making a difference in the world. This is why I don't see it ever being Harry working for the BRF and Meghan doing her own thing such as an acting career. If and when these two do marry, they'll be a unified team working together as the best that they can be both together and individually.

Time will tell and life is all about changes. No one can see into the future and know what it holds for these two and its us, the general public, that gets to sit back with a hot pot of tea and watch it all as it unfolds. Life also holds surprises and pitfalls and things that go bump in the night so we are best off I think to just watch and see what comes next.

he would not have the same luxurious lifestyle as someone who had left the BRF as he has when he is within it.
and from what he's been saying lately about his depression and trauma over Diana's death and having therapy I wuoldn't say that he's that much of a happy go lucky guy. He certainly seemed to portray himself as someone with conflicts and traumas.

Yes, and he's openly talked about how he's dealt with it. He's not saying he's currently feeling this way, but he did when he was younger. He seems to be doing very well now.

I'm not saying he's going to leave it, but I'm saying he'll be fine either way and it was choice he made because he wants to.

Whilst Henry does not have millions of millions, his inheritance could see him quite wealthy. Plus, what sort of luxurious lifestyle do you think he has now? Yes he lives in a palace etc, but he certainly doesn't have the life of luxury he could have with his money if he weren't a royal.

You seem to brush off Henry's bouts of depression/therapy treatment very easily. But his mother died, I would be very very surprised if he didn't have some sort of depress or treatment. The BRF are close nit, and just like in the armed forces they look after each other, I'm sure Henry had that same feeling when he was with his "brothers" in the army. As other posters have said though, he's gotten over those traumas and worked through them by talking to someone. Something the three of them actively promote to do.

I think Henry is a very happy go lucky gentleman, he's a glass half full person.

But this thread is about whether the Henry's wife could continue to work and the last couple of pages I have seen nobody mention that exact topic.

Meghan couldn't continue to work in my opinion, just because of the age of William's children and the vastness of the BRF engagement workload. She will be a full time working royal if she marries Henry.

Autumn Phillips retains her Canadian citizenship, so I see no reason why Meghan cannot retain hers.

Autumn Phillips retains her Canadian citizenship, so I see no reason why Meghan cannot retain hers.

I would think Canada being a commonwealth country made that difference situation. Plus, Autumn Phillips isn't a full time working royal carrying out engagements on behalf of the Queen. She also doesn't hold the title of a royal Duchess.

I would think Canada being a commonwealth country made that difference situation. Plus, Autumn Phillips isn't a full time working royal carrying out engagements on behalf of the Queen. She also doesn't hold the title of a royal Duchess.

I was waiting for this response.

I really don't see how having dual citizenship affects any of those things you mentioned? Doesn't stop her doing engagements, doesn't stop her holding a royal title. America is her home country and shouldn't be taken away from her unless she wishes. There are benefits to renouncing and american citizenship of course.

From doing a bit of snooping around, I haven't found any British constitutional reason for Meghan to have to give up her American citizenship. It may be that she may choose to have dual citizenship which would make her a British citizen as much as any other British citizen (and that includes the royal family outside of the Queen) and she may choose to renounce her American citizenship. I think, for the most part, its going to be a personal decision on Meghan's part.

As much as Harry would fight for his wife's freedom to do things her way, there are things that she will have to give up. Those two things are happening. Why? Because she is marrying a senior royal and becoming one herself when she says "I do". How is she going to represent the Queen on royal engagements when she is citizen of another country? How is she going to be a full time royal with a full time filming schedule? Her limitations to do promotion for her show right now is a problem as is. Not to mention as part of a romantic coupling on TV, they've toned her love scenes down to non-existent. That's just not sustainable in the long run.

OTOH, I imagine Harry would fight for her to take on the causes she wants to and perhaps fight for her current humanitarian roles to be kept.

I don't think Harry would have to fight for his wife to take on any sort of appropriate cause, as long as it fits with the overall strategy and goals of the royal court. The majority of the working members of the BRF aren't getting any younger and, while William and Kate will become increasingly more prominent royals as the years go on, they are only two people. I think Meghan would be actively encouraged to find or continue with a couple of causes that she truly cares about.

I also think Harry knows quite well Meghan as his wife could never continue her acting career or not become a British citizen. Not as long as he's a working member of the royal family, and for all his occasional bluster, Harry's not going anywhere.

And really, what would Meghan be giving up, career wise? It's not like she's a 25 year old being called the next Jennifer Lawrence or Meryl Streep. The one TV show she's done isn't going to go on forever and she's already 36. That's heading into geriatric territory for a woman by Hollywood standards. Post - Suits she'd be competing for a diminishing number of roles against a large number of very talented, very beautiful women. There are plenty of potential risks and down sides to Meghan marrying Harry but the loss of her career isn't one of them, IMO.

I was waiting for this response.

I really don't see how having dual citizenship affects any of those things you mentioned? Doesn't stop her doing engagements, doesn't stop her holding a royal title. America is her home country and shouldn't be taken away from her unless she wishes. There are benefits to renouncing and american citizenship of course.

I just think appearances wise, it'd cause a lot of unnecessary headache. And some might think BRF is very different from celebrity, but appearances matters to their existence A LOT.

Unnecessary headache for whom?! I imagine she'd get a fast tracked British citizenship should she wish.

I don't get what Meghan being an American Citizen has anything to do with the BRF looking like it's full of celebrities?

From doing a bit of snooping around, I haven't found any British constitutional reason for Meghan to have to give up her American citizenship. It may be that she may choose to have dual citizenship which would make her a British citizen as much as any other British citizen (and that includes the royal family outside of the Queen) and she may choose to renounce her American citizenship. I think, for the most part, its going to be a personal decision on Meghan's part.

Meghan will not have to give up citizenship of her home country. She will be granted IMMEDIATE British citizenship as well after marrying Harry, meaning she'll have dual citizenship.

Meghan will not have to give up citizenship of her home country. She will be granted IMMEDIATE British citizenship as well after marrying Harry, meaning she'll have dual citizenship.

So the three year residency requirement will automatically be waived for her?

Do we actually know that? There isn't a precedent for it.

There's no known British precedent, but the fact that residency, and sometimes citizenship, is for sale in many countries is the reality (residency in the UK will set you back 2.5 million USD).

Peter Thiel was granted New Zealand citizenship despite spending only 12 days there (his citizenship was actually accomplished in California) due to his “exceptional circumstances” related to “his skills as an entrepreneur and his philanthropy”, which were deemed to be of potential benefit to New Zealanders and the country.

It's not outside the bounds of possibility, is what I'm saying. Will it happen? Who knows. The only thing I do know is that whether she waits three years or gets citizenship fast tracked, there will be sturm und drang about it in the press.

One thing worth noting is that unless Meghan actually renounces her U.S. citizenship, her children would automatically have American citizenship from birth. I suppose they could renounce that when they become adults, but I wonder if the Palace would find that acceptable for heirs relatively close to the crown. (Here's the reference on children of U.S. citizens: https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...s-policies/citizenship-child-born-abroad.html

(The children of Peter Phillips apparently have dual citizenship through their Canadian mother, but they're further down the succession and their mother is a citizen of a Commonwealth country.)

As for Meghan's career, I don't think she'd be giving up much at this point. Up to this point, she has played the sweet, cute roles (as on Suits), but at 36, those parts aren't going to come her way much longer. She would be competing with more accomplished, much prettier actresses for meatier roles.

Maybe that's why she has been expanding her business and humanitarian work in recent years. It would be a smart move to start transitioning to other work now.

Last edited:
Call me cynical But tax wise she is better off being a UK citizen.

I know there's this romantic notion that Meghan Markle will do this her way.

The fact is she'll be become an identikit duchess and tow the line.

Last edited:
One thing worth noting is that unless Meghan actually renounces her U.S. citizenship, her children would automatically have American citizenship from birth. I suppose they could renounce that when they become adults, but I wonder if the Palace would find that acceptable for heirs relatively close to the crown. (Here's the reference on children of U.S. citizens: https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...s-policies/citizenship-child-born-abroad.html

(The children of Peter Phillips apparently have dual citizenship through their Canadian mother, but they're further down the succession and their mother is a citizen of a Commonwealth country.)
So, the provision that we are talking about is the one under 'Birth Abroad in Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen and an Alien'. It requires 5 years of physical presence prior to the birth of the child (of which at least 2 after the age of 14); so, if I understand it correctly, this should be interpreted: any time in the life of the American parent, so the fact that Meghan hasn't lived in the States for the last 5 years, is irrelevant (as it does not specify that those 5 years should be prior to the birth)?

Given that Meghan would be able to give up American citizenship as soon as she becomes a British subject, in my opinion it would be wise to do so to show complete dedication to her new role (do for example the duchess of Gloucester and princess Michael of Kent have dual citizenship of only British? The duke of Edinburgh was for sure expected to become British, even giving up his Greeks titles, to marry the future Queen). For the record, I expect it to be granted rather quickly as is common practice with most royal brides - at least in other countries; always resulting in some comments, but quite logical if the expectation is that the bride will represent the royal family of, and therefore the 'new' country itself. A recent example would be the hereditary grand duchess of Luxembourg.

On a side note, does this also mean that not only princess Leonore of Sweden (born on American soil), but also her brother Nicolas and future sibling have dual (American-Swedish) citizenship because of their father (who has dual American-British citizenship and lived in the States for at least 5 years I believe)?

Unnecessary headache for whom?! I imagine she'd get a fast tracked British citizenship should she wish.

I don't get what Meghan being an American Citizen has anything to do with the BRF looking like it's full of celebrities?

The original conversation is based on would they have to give up their careers before Meghan was even in the picture. Now that she is, we know there is an additional unexpected event to consider. So question is if she could keep her US citizenship, and I said that would be unnecessary headache if she will be a full time royal representing the Queen. Not sure how that was confusing.

And I'm not sure about BRF looking like it's full of celebrities? Even when Meghan and Harry marry, she'd be the only one that had been a celebrity before. So I don't know who else you are referring to?

Call me cynical But tax wise she is better off being a UK citizen.

Oh I agree massively! For this reason alone she'd be best giving up.

The original conversation is based on would they have to give up their careers before Meghan was even in the picture. Now that she is, we know there is an additional unexpected event to consider. So question is if she could keep her US citizenship, and I said that would be unnecessary headache if she will be a full time royal representing the Queen. Not sure how that was confusing.

And I'm not sure about BRF looking like it's full of celebrities? Even when Meghan and Harry marry, she'd be the only one that had been a celebrity before. So I don't know who else you are referring to?

This is your post I was responding to;

I just think appearances wise, it'd cause a lot of unnecessary headache. And some might think BRF is very different from celebrity, but appearances matters to their existence A LOT.

Nowhere in it does it mention that it would cause unnecessary headache when doing engagements on behalf of HM. Nor does it offer any explanation as to why you said "some might think BRF is very different from celebrity".

I'll repeat myself though, that Meghan having dual citizenship should she wish to keep her american status doesn't make anything different in my eyes. Like I said she'll become an automatic British citizen we assume, so what's the harm?

Also there's no question about "if" she could keep her US citizenship, of course she can. They question us should she.

I think it will boil down to personal choice in what citizenship she'll have should she marry Harry. Citizenship has absolutely nothing to do with "celebrity" marrying into royalty. Some people even classify royalty these days as "celebrities". Even Charles has been known to say "We're a bloody soap opera."

Tax wise, we really have no concrete evidence of what her financial tax status is and its not our business to know. I would imagine though that right now, at this very minute, she pays taxes to both the US IRS (as a US citizen) and to the Canada Revenue Agency (as a US citizen working in Canada).

As has been noted, Meghan has used her professional acting revenues in order to finance and give her the space to work in humanitarian efforts and the ability to be able to travel where she wants to go. She's not hurting in the bank book department at all. Her experiences up until she met Harry, to me, can only reinforce and amplify her ability to fit into the scheme of how the "Firm" does things and feel comfortable doing it.

Some people dream of hitting it big in Vegas. When it comes to Harry finding a life partner that fits him as if its tailor made for him, he just happened to hit the jackpot with Meghan. If these two are totally sure they're the perfect fit for each other, there aren't any obstacles that they cannot overcome.

Back
Top Bottom