Could the princes' future wives continue working?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But isn't it unfair to demand from prince's wives to stop doing what they like? Meghan will never be a queen, she will be just a duchess, what's wrong with acting for a duchess? Ok, not acting but /-put any other activity/-

Letr's face it: Prime Minister wife can continue working, president wives can continue working. Why not a duchess?

I don't think President Putin would have loved it when his former spouse Lyudmila was acting in films or series, don't you think? There is also something like "decorum".

During his presidency Nicolas Sarkozy divorced Cécilia Ciganer-Albéniz and married Carla Bruni, a celebbie on her own. Since then the news from the Palais de l'Élysée moved from the political pages to the boulevard press.

The same happened with François Hollande who swapped Ségolène Royal for a TV-talkshow host (Valérie Trierweiler) and had an affair with an actress (Julie Gayet). President Hollande wanted to end the monarchal aura of the French presidency to appear as a Monsieur Normal. He succeeded: the whole institution was demolished when he left the Elysée.

Now with Emmanuel Macron we see that he is determined not to make the same mistake as Sarkozy and Hollande: he tries to restore some distance, with mockings from the left as he is a bonapartist by heart, but he understood that featuring in the celebbie pages with a celebbie wife leads to nowhere. Harry and Meghan: beware.

Last edited:
During his presidency Nicolas Sarkozy divorced Cécilia Ciganer-Albéniz and married Carla Bruni, a celebbie on her own. Since then the news from the Palais de l'Élysée moved from the political pages to the boulevard press.

Whiel she was First Lady, Carla didn't have concerts as a singer.

I have to agree. There is just no way that an acting career could ever be compatible with being a working royal. But.... waitaminute.... all is not lost!

Perhaps as time passes and Meghan is looking to decide where to focus her energies on personal projects such as Kate being interested in photography and becoming patron of the National Portrait Gallery, Meghan could take on something to do with dramatic arts. She'd definitely know the ropes and be able to encourage people with aspirations.

Then again, she may be called on too to do a "Princess Beatrice" and do a officially sanctioned "cameo" role like Bea did in "Young Victoria". :D

Princess Beatrice's walk on part with the Queen - Telegraph

Thanks for sharing that about Princess Beatrice's walk-on role. I was not aware that she was interested in performance arts.

I totally agree that Meghan will not be continuing her acting career in any serious, high-profile way. But it definitely will make sense as you suggest, for Meghan to become involved with acting-related organizations, troupes, and academies in Britain.

She may even engage in light-hearted one-off skits possibly associated with charity events to benefit either retired actors in need, or to assist young people with acting scholarships, etc. (and other possibilities of that nature). Another possibility is Meghan presenting at a BAFTA award ceremony, or maybe doing a guest spot on a reputable cooking show for a good cause or worthy charity she supports.

Who says Meghan wants to continue to be a actress? Every indication I've seen (in her past interviews) don't seem to support this.

This is all media stirring the pot because nothing is happening.

LaRae

Thanks for sharing that about Princess Beatrice's walk-on role. I was not aware that she was interested in performance arts.

I totally agree that Meghan will not be continuing her acting career in any serious, high-profile way. But it definitely will make sense as you suggest, for Meghan to become involved with acting-related organizations, troupes, and academies in Britain.

She may even engage in light-hearted one-off skits possibly associated with charity events to benefit either retired actors in need, or to assist young people with acting scholarships, etc. (and other possibilities of that nature). Another possibility is Meghan presenting at a BAFTA award ceremony, or maybe doing a guest spot on a reputable cooking show for a good cause or worthy charity she supports.

That makes much more sense.

LaRae

She is not " a duchess" (well in fact she's not anything yet).. but if she marries Harry she will be a Princess, a senior member of the RF, and a Royal Duchess. She will have duties and be paid for out of either royal money (Charles' will be paying for her) or public money -. ie security is paid for out of our taxes. So she's expected to work for the Royal famil and the UK, not for herself.

Who says Meghan wants to continue to be a actress? Every indication I've seen (in her past interviews) don't seem to support this.

This is all media stirring the pot because nothing is happening.

LaRae

Says you. But you don't know that for certain nor do I no one does.

However, I bet Harry will urge her to continue maybe not doing Suits but occasional main stream movies from time to time. Harry does not want her giving up everything. Many of you have insisted this woman would give up her US citizenship, her career- not happening.

However, I bet Harry will urge her to continue maybe not doing Suits but occasional main stream movies from time to time. Harry does not want her giving up everything. Many of you have insisted this woman would give up her US citizenship, her career- not happening.

Says what I've read from Meghan interviews posted before on this board. Also, there are certain things she will have to do to be married to Harry...it is what it is.

I guess the old saying goes...time will tell.

LaRae

I can see Harry and Meghan having a "modern" marriage but I cannot, for the life of me, see Meghan continuing as a professional actress in the US or Canada and very unlikely in Britain.

From the relationship I've seen between these two people, once they do marry and settle down, they're going to want a family. I think that'll be their top priority. Perhaps the "modern" part is that Meghan will continue with her work with the UN. That's outside the royal duties and the Foundation. Nothing wrong with that as many major royals are affiliated with UN programs. Mary comes to mind.

We don't have that long to wait. The big indication will be when her contract is up with Suits. I really don't believe that Meghan would renew her contract in Canada and continue to have a long distance marriage with Harry during filming season. Besides, it really is a conflict of interest for a member of the BRF to be associated with things that are of a commercial nature.

I prefer my knickers not to be in a twist so I'm going to sit back and watch things as they develop. Personally, I think Meghan is ready to move on to other things in her life and Harry, right now, is the big priority in her life. That's what being "in love" does to a person. :D

I can see Harry and Meghan having a "modern" marriage but I cannot, for the life of me, see Meghan continuing as a professional actress in the US or Canada and very unlikely in Britain.

From the relationship I've seen between these two people, once they do marry and settle down, they're going to want a family. I think that'll be their top priority. Perhaps the "modern" part is that Meghan will continue with her work with the UN. That's outside the royal duties and the Foundation. Nothing wrong with that as many major royals are affiliated with UN programs. Mary comes to mind.

We don't have that long to wait. The big indication will be when her contract is up with Suits. I really don't believe that Meghan would renew her contract in Canada and continue to have a long distance marriage with Harry during filming season. Besides, it really is a conflict of interest for a member of the BRF to be associated with things that are of a commercial nature.

I prefer my knickers not to be in a twist so I'm going to sit back and watch things as they develop. Personally, I think Meghan is ready to move on to other things in her life and Harry, right now, is the big priority in her life. That's what being "in love" does to a person. :D

I agree 100%.

And Queen Maxima has or has had an affiliation with the UN as well.

A number of continental royals are involved with the UN. Victoria is an advocate for global goals since 2016. Letizia is an ambassador for nutrition. Maxima is a special advocate for finance in developing nations. Mette is an advocate with UNAIDS. Mary is an ambassador the population fund. Stephanie of Monaco is involved with UNAIDS as an ambassador. Haya has been involved for over ten years in humanitarian and food programs with the UN. Mathilde has done some work with UN sustainable development.

Be great to see a British royal join the ranks of royals involved in UN programs.

Last edited:
One source said Markle was unlikely to become an “Identikit duchess”: “Harry will want his wife to have freedom and not be restricted to becoming a royal bride, giving everything up. He will push hard for that.

END

I wonder if the idea is being put out there to elicit a response..... but I don't see how it could work. Security is one issue and the other is the same reason re Sophie "exploit her royal status"
Also - I can't see how the smaller BRF would work without H's wife.

It is a dilemma for any professional woman - I'm sure Letitzia struggled with giving up her v successful career.

Full article: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...meghan-markle-drop-hints-of-wedding-2507jtb5q

I read this article too, and I agree that I don't see how this could work. Also, I can't imagine Harry not wanting her to have a title (unless I am misunderstanding the meaning of "Identikit Duchess".) Unfortunately, perception matters a lot, and this will just give the tabloids fodder to make more suggestions about how she isn't worthy of the royal family or a title.

Last edited:
But isn't it unfair to demand from prince's wives to stop doing what they like? Meghan will never be a queen, she will be just a duchess, what's wrong with acting for a duchess? Ok, not acting but /-put any other activity/-

Letr's face it: Prime Minister wife can continue working, president wives can continue working. Why not a duchess?

In my opinion, it is not unfair, nor does it have anything to do with fairness. When someone joins the Royal Family, they are not just marrying a member of the family, but are taking on a whole new way of life that they need to be prepared to accept. No one makes anyone marry into the Royal Family. They choose to do so.

Last edited:
I think Harry is gonna surprise all of you when it comes to Meghan's acting career. There is no point in debating the issue until during the wedding which will be televised.

"Identikit Duchess" doesn't mean she won't have a title. She will walk out of that church with the title of HRH. "Identikit Duchess I think it means, Harry doesn't want his wife to be the typical royal wife, having to give up everything to be a royal.

Last edited:
There is an easy solution for that then. Harry moves out of the government owned KP, gives up his government security, stops being a working royal and becomes a private citizen. Then there will be no expectations for his wife to work for the British people and she can continue her acting career.

As much as Harry would fight for his wife's freedom to do things her way, there are things that she will have to give up. Those two things are happening. Why? Because she is marrying a senior royal and becoming one herself when she says "I do". How is she going to represent the Queen on royal engagements when she is citizen of another country? How is she going to be a full time royal with a full time filming schedule? Her limitations to do promotion for her show right now is a problem as is. Not to mention as part of a romantic coupling on TV, they've toned her love scenes down to non-existent. That's just not sustainable in the long run.

OTOH, I imagine Harry would fight for her to take on the causes she wants to and perhaps fight for her current humanitarian roles to be kept.

Does everyone expect Prince Harry, born into the British Royal Family to just let go of the traditions and duties that he was raised with and has worked his entire life with those traditions? I sure don't.......he is a member of one of the most famous prestigious families in history.....and yes he would be throwing it all away if he gave up his title, security, home and wealth just to let his future wife work......don;t see it ever. If anything I think he and his future wife will work together as a team and get great things done for Britain and the realm.

As much as Harry would fight for his wife's freedom to do things her way, there are things that she will have to give up. Those two things are happening. Why? Because she is marrying a senior royal and becoming one herself when she says "I do". How is she going to represent the Queen on royal engagements when she is citizen of another country? How is she going to be a full time royal with a full time filming schedule? Her limitations to do promotion for her show right now is a problem as is. Not to mention as part of a romantic coupling on TV, they've toned her love scenes down to non-existent. That's just not sustainable in the long run.

OTOH, I imagine Harry would fight for her to take on the causes she wants to and perhaps fight for her current humanitarian roles to be kept.

Your OTOH idea seems to be much more sustainable. I also do not believe Meghan could continue acting as even an occasional thing--it is not at all practical.

There is an easy solution for that then. Harry moves out of the government owned KP, gives up his government security, stops being a working royal and becomes a private citizen. Then there will be no expectations for his wife to work for the British people and she can continue her acting career.

Harry almost left the family before and his grandmother talked into staying. So don't test him!

Say what? That's one I've not heard before. Could you provide more information and sources please?

Harry almost left the family before and his grandmother talked into staying. So don't test him!

That wasn't the impression that I got from that interview. Have you seen something that directly states it? Because the interviewer, Angela Levin says:

‘There was a time I felt I wanted out,’ he says. ‘But then I decided to stay in [The Firm] and work out a role for myself.’ More than anything else, he says, that he was motivated to do something to help his grandmother, the Queen, and charity work came to his rescue.

That reads to me as if it were his feelings for and duty to HM, rather than a conversation with her, that led to his decision.

It would be rather foolish from any prospective royal bride not to consider the consequences of an eventual marriage from the start (I would say this applies to anyone in a relationship that finding a way to join your futures is essential but for some that is clearer or might require more drastic decisions than for others). Of course, living it is different than imagining what it might be like, but I would hope -especially when in your thirties- that these things are considered from the very start of the relationship.

I am quite sure that Meghan would not have started dating Harry if she had been deadset against giving up acting. Given that she has been interested in humanitarian work as well (calling it most rewarding and meaningful - or something along those lines), it seems that giving up acting (and being able to dedicate herself to humanitarian work next to royal representations) is something that she is willing to do to spend her life with Harry.

Last edited:
I don't remember anything about the Queen talking him into staying...where did you read that?

That reads to me as if it were his feelings for and duty to HM, rather than a conversation with her, that led to his decision.

Actually it sounds to me like something everybody goes through at some time in their lives. A kid turns 16 and has the option to drop out of school. A job is less than what one thought it would be and there's days you just want to chuck it all in and say "I quit!".

Harry is remarking vocally what perhaps a lot of royals have privately thought (and I know Edward VIII as Prince of Wales wrote that same sentiment). Kind of like a "Stop the world. I want to get off". Rational thinking eventually does take over and one chugs on.

That wasn't the impression that I got from that interview. Have you seen something that directly states it? Because the interviewer, Angela Levin says:

It's the same thing. I just summed it up in a nutshell. At this point if it came down to a choice between Meghan and his family. He'd choose her. Don't test him!

It's the same thing. I just summed it up in a nutshell. At this point if it came down to a choice between Meghan and his family. He'd choose her. Don't test him!

That's not the same as the Queen talked him into it. He made that decision on his own because that's what he wanted to do. There is no need to make a choice between his family and duty or Meghan. It's highly unlikely she'll be on season 8 of Suits, even if there is one.

Well, I'm just an almost-middle-aged Canuck cybersecurity IT professional, (and the only thing that's upset me enough to actually write a letter Expressing My Feelings was Equifax Canada's grossly inadequate and insulting response to the data breach) so not a huge amount of pressure on him coming from this keyboard.

However, I solemnly swear not to test Prince Harry on the choice between Meghan and the BRF. He won't ever have that kind of pressure from me, you have my word. ;) :flowers:

And most importantly his family would never ask that of him.....the love him and trust him to make the right choice for his life. After all is he is not a child or teenager........he is a mature adult who knows the world and has been around and with all of his life experiences he can make solid decisions on his won. So why would anyone even think that his family would make his choice is just wanting drama and to stir up trouble. I am thrilled if he choices any woman to be his wife for from all indications he wants a family of his own.....and he should be able to have that.

Back
Top Bottom