Could the princes' future wives continue working?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are Beatrice and Eugenie allowed to work because they are further down the line and are thus less important? (so to speak)

Why can continental royals and their spouses have a career outside the monarchy and is this a "problem" in the UK? The late Angus Ogilvy, the late Antony Armstrong-Jones, Mark Phillips, Timothy Laurence, all examples of royal spouses who had to earn their own living. Or is here a sort of gender-differentation that a female spouse should not go working? In that aspect I hope that Beatrice and Eugenie will show the right way.

Are Beatrice and Eugenie allowed to work because they are further down the line and are thus less important? (so to speak)

If they do not find a partner to depend on, if they do not want to rely on daddy's money for the rest of life, if they are not given an allowance, then they have not so many options left but start working indeed...

Why can continental royals and their spouses have a career outside the monarchy and is this a "problem" in the UK? The late Angus Ogilvy, the late Antony Armstrong-Jones, Mark Phillips, Timothy Laurence, all examples of royal spouses who had to earn their own living. Or is here a sort of gender-differentation that a female spouse should not go working? In that aspect I hope that Beatrice and Eugenie will show the right way.

I think the clinker here is that none of the spouses you named were/are royal. They are married to royals but are not royal themselves. :D

They were also married to princesses not princes and that is the big difference.

Beatrice and Eugenie's husbands will be expected to work and earn a living.

Harry's wife will be expected to cut ribbons.

We will likely see that change with Charlotte. If the slimming down happens, there is not going to be many royals to count on. When Geirge is an adult, he will need support. Unlike his father and grandfather he doesn't have brothers and thrust future wives. Charlotte will need to step up, even with Harry and a wife in the picture. It isn't too out there to believe her husband will be expected to do some royal duties as well.

I feel like if Prince Harry had a strong enough conviction to pursue a private career (e.g. a lawyer, doctor, policeman, scientist, whatever) then he would be allowed. Same goes for any wife of his. But he doesn't, he's content with cutting ribbons and giving speeches, so that's the life he'll live.

Honestly, I am all for charities and patronages and whatnot, but if it were me, I'd go crazy. Doing those things might be something I'd like as a hobby or in my free time, but as a full time career? No way. Glad I wasn't born a royal then!

Last edited:
no he wouldn't. he's required for royal duties.. and he's done a stint in the army which was the only thing he was interested in...

I feel like if Prince Harry had a strong enough conviction to pursue a private career (e.g. a lawyer, doctor, policeman, scientist, whatever) then he would be allowed. Same goes for any wife of his. But he doesn't, he's content with cutting ribbons and giving speeches, so that's the life he'll live.

Honestly, I am all for charities and patronages and whatnot, but if it were me, I'd go crazy. Doing those things might be something I'd like as a hobby or in my free time, but as a full time career? No way. Glad I wasn't born a royal then!

No he couldn't have. Andrew and Edward both tried, and they were already fifth and sixth in line to the throne by the time Andrew was 24. It wasn't necessarily that they can't find success, but every time they did something motivated by profit, there is a public outcry. Every move is scrutinized to a point of suffocating. Harry was a lot older by the time George was born, and that was already passed the time where he could've chosen to start an average career of a recent university grad without the attention on him. He had his army career for 10 years, that's about as good as it'll get. For the people that's been saying the royals need to get a job, I wonder if they actually do want that? Because if they find success, there is the rumbling that they have the unfair competitive advantage. Well, that's not they are fault that they were born into this life.

Most of them (the men) have at least had a military career until their station in life made it no longer possible.

I don't think it's possible, at least not in the BRF, for a spouse to work after marrying into the family. Sophie tried as I recall but in the end it didn't work out well. It was hard enough for Kate to work (outside the family business) when seriously dating William. Diana couldn't continue with her job either after Charles...etc etc.

LaRae

Most of them (the men) have at least had a military career until their station in life made it no longer possible.

I don't think it's possible, at least not in the BRF, for a spouse to work after marrying into the family. Sophie tried as I recall but in the end it didn't work out well. It was hard enough for Kate to work (outside the family business) when seriously dating William. Diana couldn't continue with her job either after Charles...etc etc.

LaRae

Hopefully in the future this will change as Charles starts downsizing and modernizing the royal family. I feel like they need to adapt to the times in order to survive as an institution. I don't think the family needs any more ribbon cutters or professional hand wavers. Just my two cents--and I'm sure many other British people agree.

I don't think the downsizing will make any difference about spouses not being able to work outside the 'Firm'...for all the other reasons already listed in the thread.

LaRae

Hopefully in the future this will change as Charles starts downsizing and modernizing the royal family. I feel like they need to adapt to the times in order to survive as an institution. I don't think the family needs any more ribbon cutters or professional hand wavers. Just my two cents--and I'm sure many other British people agree.

IMHO it would be good for the BRF to adopt the path that the NL's Beatrix and Claus did for their younger sons Friso and Constantijn. Both were expected to have careers outside of the royal house with minimal royal duties and appearances ie: Queen/King's Day.

We see other monarchies also limiting the number of people who perform engagements on behalf of the monarch/nation: Spain is a good example.

However that would require a real change in the number of patronages that the monarch/consort would represent and a refocusing on which events that they would attend. With William only having one sibling, I do see him needing Harry/spouse's assistance.

The monarch's siblings (or the monarch's younger adult children) seem to have private careers nowadays in many countries, e.g. the Netherlands, Sweden, and Spain, while occasionally taking part in official royal duties when required. But that is in part because they don't get direct public funding. In countries where siblings or younger adult children are fully funded, e.g. Belgium and Denmark, they are supposed to be full-time royals, aren't they ?

Cutting ribbons, giving speeches, visiting hospitals/schools, visiting charities, driving in open cars, go on walkabouts, traveling to other countries on behalf of the monarch/government (behalf of the nation if you are the monarch) etc is what British royal work is about (the Queen did all this and more until 2012), and I find it very meaningful.

It's the same work as an apolitical president does. The difference is that a constitutional monarch and his/her family will be a focal point for stability, is good for democracy and is much better than the alternative.

I'm almost sure (and hope) that Anne, Andrew (if he stays out of trouble), Edward and Sophie will continue with their royal work under Charles.

York girls:

1. Should they take on a full-time royal role? No. Why? Because we live in 2017, the current/future monarch don't need them and the press will hate it.

2. Will they have a full-time royal role? No, I don't think so.

Harry's future wife:

1. Should she take on a full-time royal role? Yes. Why? Because she is married to the monarch/heir's children, the monarch will need her in the future and the press will hate it if she don't.

2. Will she have a full-time royal role? Yes, I think so.

Harry's Children:

1. Should Harry's children take on a full time royal role? No. Why?Because we will then live in 2040/50s, the current/future monarch don't need them and the press will hate it.

2. Will they have a full time royal role? No, I don't think so.

Last edited:
It is pretty simple: du moment the Government states: the present King, the future King and the former King as well their spouses receive a donation, because it is "undesirable" when they are in a dependent relationship to third parties, then this means that the rest outside these six have to earn their own living. We see that in Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands, Luxembourg and Spain. Belgium will follow the same policy for the children of the current King. No doubt Denmark will review the arrangements when Frederik will become King.

It would be remarkable when the UK would not follow the same systematic. The way of thinking on the Continent is pretty logic: a monarchy is a system in which the head of state is delivered by hereditary succession. That the present, the former and the future heads of state (and their spouses) receive a dotation is a direct consequence of that systematic. But that more family members should get state payment instead of providing in their own income seems no longer sustainable to me.

No he couldn't have. Andrew and Edward both tried, and they were already fifth and sixth in line to the throne by the time Andrew was 24. It wasn't necessarily that they can't find success, but every time they did something motivated by profit, there is a public outcry. Every move is scrutinized to a point of suffocating. Harry was a lot older by the time George was born, and that was already passed the time where he could've chosen to start an average career of a recent university grad without the attention on him. He had his army career for 10 years, that's about as good as it'll get. For the people that's been saying the royals need to get a job, I wonder if they actually do want that? Because if they find success, there is the rumbling that they have the unfair competitive advantage. Well, that's not they are fault that they were born into this life.

Andrew never tried to have a career away from the royal family other than in the navy. He didn't drop to 5th in the line of succession until George was born when he was aged 53. He had a 20+ year naval career which he left to take on a full-time royal role that included replacing the Duke of Kent as Britain's Trade Ambassador.

Edward tried a life away from the royal family but failed - due to his name and his ability.

Harry could have stayed in the army but chose to leave at a much younger age then did his Uncle Andrew and now he is in limbo land. Why he left the army is anyone's guess but I suspect it was because he either refused to spend a few years doing desk work as required for further merit based promotion or because he was told he wasn't going to get merit based promotion and so would remain an aging captain.

He will now be promoted every five years simply because he is Harry and for no other reason (as has happened to Charles, William, Andrew, the Duke of Kent and Prince Michael - every five years they go up a rank until there are no further ranks e.g. The Duke of Kent is a Field Marshal having reached Lt Colonel on merit. Andrew reached Commander in the navy on merit while Prince Michael reached Major. Charles reached the rank of Lt on merit in the navy but only served for about 6 or 7 years with time in the RAF as well.

The reason Edward's career failed was because he was just...bad at it.

"the company was referred to by some industry insiders as "a sad joke" due to a perceived lack of professionalism in its operations."

Also, according to Wikipedia, his film company "reported losses every year it operated save one when Edward did not draw a salary."

Both he and Sophie set up their own companies. This made it easier for the media to accuse them of using their royal connections for personal gain. I doubt the same kind of backlash would occur if Sophie was a teacher at a private school or something.

Regarding Meghan, someone mentioned on another thread that Meghan might be at the stage in her career where she would naturally be pulling back. If she were a film actress I would agree, because it is true that in the US film acting gigs do begin to dry up for females as they head toward 40, but that does not signify it would be the case for Meghan as she is a television actress. She never broke into films. Television actors have a longer shelf-life (IMO). :flowers:

Lots of re-thinking one's (film) career (and to some extent television) as one exits the ingenue years (for a female) and the 30's commence. A natural time when actors segue into directing, or producing, or even writing, if they don't actually leave the profession altogether. Marriages and babies happen that change the landscape significantly. VoiceOver often becomes the bread-and-butter as families start to be raised, etc. I know many who have gone back to school and gotten degrees. They might keep a part-time foot in the business but branch out. :flowers:

I think Meghan could be at that point in her career, so that a segue into royal life would not be a disconnect. As such, she may not find the constraints of royal life really a constraint because she's ready for changes. JMO.

Wouldn't a regular job for Harry's future wife be a security concern? I read something along the lines yesterday, that a constant, well known work schedule would bring in new security risks.

Wouldn't a regular job for Harry's future wife be a security concern? I read something along the lines yesterday, that a constant, well known work schedule would bring in new security risks.

You've a significant point. :sad: That is a very real issue, methinks. Sad.

Eugenie works a regular every day job, at a known location. It hasn't seemed to be a security risk.

It may be slightly different if say a hospital doctor. Because the size of the space they would need to secure. And there would be too many people coming in and out, can't do security checks on trauma patients.

If ti did benefit the nation (like international trade or something of that nature) then it would in fact be healthy and good, but realistically, the only ones who are available for princes are heiresses or someone who is already established as part of celebrity.

[....] the only ones who are available for princes are heiresses or someone who is already established as part of celebrity.

Heu... Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby, Catherine Middleton, Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti, Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz, Sophie Rhys-Jones, Claire Coombs, Sofia Hellqvist, Marie Cavallier, etc. all do not really qualify as "heiresses" or "established part of celebrity".

The only exception is Letizia Ortiz who was a "celebrity" indeed: picture

Regarding Meghan, someone mentioned on another thread that Meghan might be at the stage in her career where she would naturally be pulling back. If she were a film actress I would agree, because it is true that in the US film acting gigs do begin to dry up for females as they head toward 40, but that does not signify it would be the case for Meghan as she is a television actress. She never broke into films. Television actors have a longer shelf-life (IMO). :flowers:

Unfortunately, few television actors really do have shelf lives that are much longer than their peers in film, and those who do are generally "character" actors (which Meghan is not), white (which Meghan is not) and either male (which Meghan is not) or women who became recognizable after they'd settled into middle age or a sort of "safe" frumpiness (which she did not). Young, attractive women are still rarely allowed to mature on screen. Some are, but they're still few and far between.

Also, if you watch who gets cast for what, it seems to matter very much just how an actor becomes famous, initially. If they become a household name for their acting, then casting directors seem to care little about what publicity they may garner in their private life. But an actor who first becomes famous for their personal life is rarely cast in subsequent roles of substance; that seems to be a recipe for a career of one-episode guest appearances and stunt casting. So whether or not she marries Harry, Meghan may have already passed a point of no return when it comes to her career.

I think the media would be the biggest problem facing an employed royal. Prince Edward's wife Sophie tried, but was criticized by someone no matter what she did. Katherine tried working at St. Andrews and the media hounded her - And she was just a girlfriend then. Any wife of Harry will have heavy media coverage.

True the Duke of York's daughters have been able to work with very little media coverage, but I think they are the exception rather than the norm. Once Charles becomes King, they will become more like the children of Princess Margaret, Duke of Kent etc.

I don't think they could unfortunately for them.... several have tried with disastrous consequences.....

I
True the Duke of York's daughters have been able to work with very little media coverage, but I think they are the exception rather than the norm. Once Charles becomes King, they will become more like the children of Princess Margaret, Duke of Kent etc.
The York girls are not royal wives, and they have been clearly placed "off the royal duty roster". Its been made clear that they are not required for Royal duties, and so they are free to work if they want to, in a job. (if they do want to). But Harry's wife will be required for royal duties and as such, it will not be appropriate or advisable for her to work in a job.

It doesn't seem fair that a royal is criticized for whatever they do. If they try and work they are using their royal status, if they only do charities they are called lazy and called upon to get a real job, if they say screw it and give up royal title status and money they are regarded as ungrateful.
I think the York girls husbands should be allowed to work if they want to if Charles truly wants to slim things down; same for Louise and James when they come of age.

I'm quite sure the York girls husbands will work just as they themselves do...the girls don't work for the 'Firm' so aren't really going to fall under this 'rule'.

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom