Could the princes' future wives continue working?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope that in 2016, with the overwhelming majority of British women being active to earn their own independent income, that it will not be such a drama when the spouse of a senior royal wants to pursue an own career.

Sophie didn’t get into trouble because she had a job. She got into trouble because she wasn’t *good* at her job. She was losing money, and she tried to lure in clients with royal chit-chat and she got caught. If Harry’s wife is good at her job, and she doesn’t hemorrhage money at every turn, then she’ll be fine. The press will probably write a few snarky articles in the beginning saying Princess Harry shunned the royal family, but after that I think they will be complimentary. They’ll say she’s a modern woman who could teach those royals a thing or two.

It’s quite debatable to call Harry a senior royal, especially when his career path is still so up in the air. I don’t consider the Cambridges senior royals at the moment, either.

[...]

It’s quite debatable to call Harry a senior royal, especially when his career path is still so up in the air. I don’t consider the Cambridges senior royals at the moment, either.

In my personal view senior royals are the children to a Sovereign or a (future) Heir and their eventual spouses:

Hors Categorie
HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh (Sovereign)
TRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall (Heir)
TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (future Heir)

Senior royals
HRH The Princess Royal and Vice-Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence (child of Sovereign)
HRH The Duke of York (child of Sovereign)
TRH The Earl and Countess of Wessex (child of Sovereign)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales (child of Heir)
HRH Prince George of Cambridge (child of future Heir)
HRH Princess Charlotte of Cambridge (child of future Heir)

So in my book Prince Harry for sure is a most senior royal:
Grandson of HM Queen Elizabeth II
Son of HM King Charles III
Brother of HM King William V
Uncle of HM King George VII

Was he not a Prince Harry but a Princess Henrietta, we would have seen him alike a sort of Princess Margaret, with her status illustrated by the fleet of Royal Family Orders pinned on her robe: picture.

Last edited:
When I think senior royals I think HM, DoE, PoW, and DoC. The rest are minor royals.

If we classify all the children of monarchs as senior royals then we won’t have minor royals in the future. Because I think gone are the days where male-line grandchildren of younger sons will use HRH’s. I believe Harry will follow Edward’s lead and have his children be styled as children of a peer. And Charlotte’s children won’t have titles unless she marries a man with one in his own right.

When I think senior royals I think HM, DoE, PoW, and DoC. The rest are minor royals.

If we classify all the children of monarchs as senior royals then we won’t have minor royals in the future. Because I think gone are the days where male-line grandchildren of younger sons will use HRH’s. I believe Harry will follow Edward’s lead and have his children be styled as children of a peer. And Charlotte’s children won’t have titles unless she marries a man with one in his own right.

I doubt that the King of Spain, the Grand-Duke of Luxembourg, the King of Sweden, the Queen of Denmark, or any British nobleman would treat a son of King Charles III, a brother of King William V as "minor royal"...

:lol:

Though it may be possible for the next generation, (George's wife), to continue a career in a private capacity, I don't believe it would be viable for Harry's spouse.

Let's say she worked for a British pharmaceutical company in some capacity. If that company gained any advantage in the marketplace the British press would say it was because of her. If she was promoted (due to her own diligence) it would be said that it was because of the HRH.

The security at such a firm would be a problem. Knowing a Royal was working there, some bomb threats could be made by disturbed people just to enjoy the headlines. Fellow workers could very well object to a couple of RPO's being stationed on the premises every day. Reporters could grill fellow workers about Harry's wife, even attempting working undercover as new staff to get a story. I just don't believe employment in the private sector would be viable at all

:previous: I think that depends on how important it is for Harry's hypothetical wife to continue working at her job and if her employer is willing to make accommodations. The obstacles you are mentioning also apply to William as an air ambulance pilot.

:previous: You make a good point about the obstacles applying to William's employment.

It seems to me that everyone who marries a Royal is expected to make significant sacrifices for the privilege, and women are expected to be prepared to make a greater sacrifice by reason of their gender. The marrying-in party seems to only have a hope of keeping their job if they are in one of the services, but I bet a female officer would be put under enormous pressure to resign. This irks me something fearsome. It is my none-too-secret desire that Harry will choose to marry a career pilot with a short hair cut who shuns high heels and makeup and who insists on wearing her uniform at her wedding. :D

Though it may be possible for the next generation, (George's wife), to continue a career in a private capacity, I don't believe it would be viable for Harry's spouse.

Let's say she worked for a British pharmaceutical company in some capacity. If that company gained any advantage in the marketplace the British press would say it was because of her. If she was promoted (due to her own diligence) it would be said that it was because of the HRH.

The security at such a firm would be a problem. Knowing a Royal was working there, some bomb threats could be made by disturbed people just to enjoy the headlines. Fellow workers could very well object to a couple of RPO's being stationed on the premises every day. Reporters could grill fellow workers about Harry's wife, even attempting working undercover as new staff to get a story. I just don't believe employment in the private sector would be viable at all

George’s wife will be a Queen. She is not comparable to Princess Harry. Charlotte’s husband is a good comparison. I would assume that he will work outside the royal family.

As for her getting work “advantages”, who cares? The tabloid press has whined about Peter’s firm getting the Queen's 90th birthday party, that hasn’t stopped him. The tabloid press has whined about Zara getting BBC Sport personality of the Year, and getting several endorsement deals despite being in a low-profile sport, and despite not being as talented as some of her teammates(Mary King, William Fox-Pitt), yet she continues on. The tabloid press has whined about Beatrice getting hard-fought financial jobs despite not having a degree in finance, yet she continues on. The tabloid press has snarked about Eugenie getting employed in NYC by one of her best friends, but that didn’t stop her. The press noted that Harry was given the opportunity to fly Apache helicopters even though he had low entry grades that would normally disqualify him, that didn’t stop him. William flies helicopters even though his eyesight would normally have disqualified him for the RAF, that didn’t stop him. Edward attended Cambridge even though his grades weren’t good enough to be accepted, Philip called the admittance a royal “miracle”, that didn’t stop him. Princess Harry will get some tabloid whining in the beginning , then the tabloids will move on. She shouldn’t be held to higher standard than born royals who embrace all the advantages thrown their way.

I don’t think security will be a big problem. It would cost security more to have her be a full-time royal, where they have to check out the crowds at all her engagements at random places. If security can clear George’s school (a future king!), they can clear the workplace of a woman married to a younger son of a King.

That’s if she wants to work. Harry is independently wealthy, and Charles/William will continue to fund Harry’s luxurious life. It’s not like she’ll need to worry about paying the rent. If her and Harry have children she might wish to stay home with them. Or she and Harry might fall in love because of their mutual passion for traveling. Then she and him can spend a good chunk of time exploring the world. Maybe, even take up a part-time home in Africa.

With the abundance of working royals, Harry and his wife have the chance to seize their non-royal passions and live life to the fullest. As long as the carry-out part-time duties, they’ll be doing their fair share.

Last edited:
Harry could marry Bindi Irwin and then no one can say his wife is taking a job from someone else.

He could marry a woman that owns a animal rescue shelter.

There are a lot of career options and Harry is not married nor is he a full time royal.

He supposedly did not have security with him during his 3 months in Africa.

A spouse that continues to use her own name in a field she established prior to meeting Harry or George may be able to continue working.

As for George's spouse, she may have to quit when/if George becomes King but that could be 20 or 30 or 40 years after she marries.

I say let see if Harry becomes a full time royal before expecting a unknown spouse to work full time.

George's wife can't have a career when he is the1st in line. Will have to be a full time Royal. Maybe able to be part time Royal like Kate early in marriage if Charles is King but not if William is King.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Harry could marry Bindi Irwin and then no one can say his wife is taking a job from someone else.

He could marry a woman that owns a animal rescue shelter.

There are a lot of career options and Harry is not married nor is he a full time royal.

He supposedly did not have security with him during his 3 months in Africa.

A spouse that continues to use her own name in a field she established prior to meeting Harry or George may be able to continue working.

As for George's spouse, she may have to quit when/if George becomes King but that could be 20 or 30 or 40 years after she marries.

I say let see if Harry becomes a full time royal before expecting a unknown spouse to work full time.

Yes, a lot of the concerns relating to a wife of Harry's seem to suppose she would be someone else's employee. A lot depends on what field she works in, and the nature of her position in that field, and I agree that if she continues to use her own name it should be easier for her. And it seems to be assumed that Harry's wife will need to become a "full time royal" if he does, but I don't see why that should necessarily be the case.

As for George, so much time will have passed, and changes taken place, before he marries that I think it's quite conceivable that his wife could have a full career and have actually retired from it before becoming Queen.

Please note that approximately twenty plus posts (i.e. who is a senior royal, CoS, out of the country CoS, the streamlining of the BRF, death of the Wales family, etc) have been deleted as off topic.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss whether or not the wives of British Princes can work outside of the BRF.

Any and all additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice. Any question and/or concerns should be directed towards a member of the moderation team via PM.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Last edited:
Prince Harry's future wife

I have a question. Will Prince Harry's wife be able to have a regular job? Let's say she's a doctor or teacher can she keep her job after they marry? Or will she take on royal responsibilities instead?

When you marry a senior royal, you don't simply get a husband but a career. Harry is too close to the throne, his wife will be expected to work for them. When his dad is king, he and his wife will be Andy and Fergie, back up to the heir. Could you imagine the security required if she was working at a hospital? There would also be the worry of another Sophie situation.

You want to marry into the clan and keep your job you had to marry minor. The DIL of the extended family include a pediatrician (Ulster), university fellow/professor (St Andrews), Vogue editor (Nicholas' wife), actress (Fred's wife), But then again invited to royal events and holidays, the royal spouses are private citizens with careers.

Difficult to say in these modern times. However, the British Royal Family prefers the spouses to work for 'The Firm". As in the case of Sophie of Wessex. When William becomes King he will need lots of family help with the work load. So Harry and his wife will be expected to fill those roles as well as any other living Royals such as Princess Anne, Edward etc.
Royal Tours, openings of buildings etc. Celebrating 100 yrs of firebrigade or whatever for instance. The public expect their royals to turn up to those things.
King William of course will be kept busy with Diplomatic duties as well as ceremonial duties and tours and such. The same really as what The Queen does now.

Highly unlikely she would be able to work outside the firm as it's called. It didn't work so well for Sophie either.

My guess is a wife of Harry will be kept busy dealing with royal duties.

LaRae

Yes I think she will likely be referred to as HRH The Duchess of Sussex, as Henry is expected to be made Duke Of Sussex when he marries! Hence she will be expected to work for the firm!

If Harry's future wife was already an established authoress or journalist, would she have to quit such a career?
:author::author::author::author::author::author::author::author::author::author:

Prince Harry's future wife

An author maybe ok to continue but no way for a journalist. Princess Michael writes books and if needed a pen name could be used.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

That depends. If she was a known author of biographies of literary figures or fluffy little children's books about rabbits, puppies, cats etc, probably not. If she wrote racy novels full of sex, violence and murder there might be a few eyebrows raised!

Journalist yes. Like any other career it would require time and other commitments which with royal duties.

An author is something one can do any where/time. Certainly wouldn't be first present or former senior royal to be.

Kids books and things like history or art. Doubt any royal author erotica :whistling:
-Charles: wrote 4, co-wrote 11, illustrated 1, narrated 1 Also done countless intros, forwards, prefaces and scripts for tv documentaries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Man_of_Lochnagar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Vision_of_Britain:_A_Personal_View_of_Architecture

-Fergie has had a lot of success. 11 kids books (6 Budgie, 5 Little Red), 2 young reader, 17 help books (5 WW, 12 other), 2 on Victoria, and 9 others. 7 were before separation, 3 more before divorce.

-Philip has done 13, nature or history mainly, and countless forwards

-Princess Michael has written 3 non-fic history and 2 fiction (both historical dramas)

Being a royal is work every day all day long, the notoriety is annoying at best and the paparazzi a lot of stuff to deal with. Royal engagements often pay poorly and the hours are terrible. Some days even the people are awful. Perhaps this should be better rephrased, we she work in a corporate sense.

Being a royal is work every day all day long, the notoriety is annoying at best and the paparazzi a lot of stuff to deal with. Royal engagements often pay poorly and the hours are terrible. Some days even the people are awful. Perhaps this should be better rephrased, we she work in a corporate sense.

Its hardly "work" as many people would define it. And its harldy "poorly paid". No Harry's wife will probably be required ot help with royal work...
Just as Kate has had to do some engagements...

I would regard 'no pay' as 'poorly paid'. The royals don't get a salary or other payment for doing their engagements.

Their official expenses are covered either by The Sovereign Grant or from the private incomes of the Duchy of Lancaster and Duchy of Cornwall. That private income also has to pay for their private expenses.

They don't get a pay cheque each week/month/year for being royal or doing any royal 'work'. If they do nothing they get the same as if they do 500 engagements each year from The Queen or Charles' private incomes and any other trust funds or inheritances they may have.

It is not just that senior royals don't have time to pursue other careers; there is also an issue of conflict of interest. What I mean is that, if one is the monarch's consort, or the consort of the heir apparent, it would be inappropriate in my opinion for that person to own a business or work for a corporation that could benefit from the public office her husband holds.

I don't see why the same restrictions should apply though to more junior royals, including the wives of the monarch's younger sons, especially if they don't get any direct public funding , which is the case nowadays in many monarchies.

It is not just that senior royals don't have time to pursue other careers; there is also an issue of conflict of interest. What I mean is that, if one is the monarch's consort, or the consort of the heir apparent, it would be inappropriate in my opinion for that person to own a business or work for a corporation that could benefit from the public office her husband holds.

I don't see why the same restrictions should apply though to more junior royals, including the wives of the monarch's younger sons, especially if they don't get any direct public funding , which is the case nowadays in many monarchies.
True, but that coudl extend to the wife of a second son, when the likelhood is that Charles will slim things down and just have himself, his wife and Will and his family and probalby Harry doing royal duties.. So Harry's wife will be one of thte chosen few and the various restrictions will apply to her. SHe'll be part of the Senor working royal family...
Harry seems to be preparing for a full time royal career, as things stand. Ie dropped out of the army and is dabbling in charity work.. not really sticking to anyting..

Well, Harry's certainly sticking to the Invictus Games, which he worked hard to help make a success this year. He was also helping out at Sentebale when he was in Africa, before helping to move those elephants in the summer. He's stuck to Sentebale since he helped start it off at 19.

Most of what we see Harry doing is all part and parcel of what will enhance his future role as a working royal. He's also been taking on more foreign tours representing his grandmother and monarch. There could be a lot more being done behind the scenes that we don't see. He gets a passion for something, he acts on that passion. Sometimes to do a "job" successfully, it takes preparation.

This is what any future wife will have to adapt to. Someone to be a partner not only with home and family, but also willing to take on what will be expected of her for the rest of her life. Although Harry's wife may have a bit more leeway than William's wife, she still will be very much a part of the senior British Royal Family and all that comes with that.

Is it possible Prince Harry's wife and the Duchess of Cambridge, her sister-in-law, would be paired together to do charity work?

Back
Top Bottom