Could the princes' future wives continue working?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh Amelia, the parties, the sunbathing,the partying and then partying some more.
It is true that the papparazzi will only try to get photos that create some sort of controversy. However it is not as if she does do anything substantive and they missed it.
We can all agree that she does not have to get a job and it would make it difficult for everyone around her if she did. Most of us can say we have no idea if she will be asked by William to marry him, however, some can say that the lady seems to be going through her young life as a second fiddle, waiting and in the meantime doing nothing. Even during the break up she did not stop going out to clubs. Isn't there anything else to occupy herself with?
What parties? What parties has she gone to in the last 8 months? Yes last summer after they broke up she went out a lot - but without getting personal what do you do after you have a break-up with a BF (if you a woman that is), she went out and had fun.

Since she left her job a jig-saw and London she is rarely photographed, and when she is it is usually when she is at a public event to be photographed. Who knows what she is doing during those days and weeks when there are no photographs but it doesn't seem to be partying.

She got an art history degree. That's how she met William; they were originally reading the same subject, until he switched to geography.

History is good. A very interesting subject and very useful in everyone's life. Much more to her potentially. In the US one can get a Bachelor's degree and then pursue a master's. Or just show up and follow some lectures.....

I agree with kimebear. It is too late for Miss Middleton to find any kind of job or engage in any other activities as the latter will be seen as the PR campaign to placate the public at large and, thus, improve public opinion about Miss Middleton. In my view, she should have exerted every effort to continue working for Jigsaw. Public and paparazzi would have grown accustomed to her job and the story would have lost this sensational appeal.

History is good. A very interesting subject and very useful in everyone's life. Much more to her potentially. In the US one can get a Bachelor's degree and then pursue a master's. Or just show up and follow some lectures.....

I'm not totally sure how the British system works in comparison to the one here in America, but I think she did get the equivalent of a master's degree. Anyone else know for sure?

The assumption that people seem to make is that young women today have to act in a certain way in order to be worthy of love or respect. Just because that's the way our particular culture and time sees it, that doesn't mean it's the only way for someone to be. I didn't have a full-time job until I was 27, but there were reasons for that. I didn't marry until I was 33, but that's because I hadn't met the right man until three years before. Perhaps Kate has her own very good reasons for living the way that she's living. Only she knows her motives and reasons, and I'm not comfortable with the idea that she's being judged for the decisions she's making when we don't know why she's making them. Were she a drug user or promiscuous or cruel, then I'd say that she wasn't fit to be a princess. But what I see is a young woman who takes care of herself, doesn't blab to the press, and enjoys spending time with the man she apparently loves. There's been no crime committed here.

I'm not totally sure how the British system works in comparison to the one here in America, but I think she did get the equivalent of a master's degree. Anyone else know for sure
As far as I'm aware Kate has a Master of Arts ( Honours) in Art History, could be wrong though!

As I understand it, a Masters degree in the UK is similar to a Bachelor's degree in North America; it's an undergrad degree.

As far as I'm aware Kate has a Master of Arts ( Honours) in Art History, could be wrong though!

No in the UK a Batchelors degree is done under-graduate. And then you do a one year masters post-grad. Some universities do however offer extended courses 4 rather than 3 years so you do a masters rather than batchelors.

For example

my cousin did her BSC in Physcology at Cardiff (3 years) and the did a Masters post grad in Social Work (1 year)

at Oxford University they only offer 4 year masters degrees - you can not do a Batchelors degree at Oxford?

As I understand it, a Masters degree in the UK is similar to a Bachelor's degree in North America; it's an undergrad degree.
I don't know. I know in St. Andrew's they do 4 years, where in other colleges is only three or maybe that is only with some of their courses. I'm not really up on the UK education system.

In the Us they have a 4 year college (on average) to obtain a Bachelor's degree. Then for those pursuing a Master's it is usually another 2 years, depending on the studies.

No in the UK a Batchelors degree is done under-graduate. And then you do a one year masters post-grad. Some universities do however offer extended courses 4 rather than 3 years so you do a masters rather than batchelors.

For example

my cousin did her BSC in Physcology at Cardiff (3 years) and the did a Masters post grad in Social Work (1 year)

at Oxford University they only offer 4 year masters degrees - you can not do a Batchelors degree at Oxford?

That makes sense, then, because I think she did spend four years at St Andrews. It must have been an extended master's degree.

Were she a drug user or promiscuous or cruel, then I'd say that she wasn't fit to be a princess. But what I see is a young woman who takes care of herself, doesn't blab to the press, and enjoys spending time with the man she apparently loves. There's been no crime committed here.

Well, it´s certainly no crime, but it´s no role model either. It´s without any doubt up to Kate how she spends her days and as girlfriend of William she doesn´t have to be a role model - but I`m convinced her life as Princess (if she gets there) will be easier if she would commit herself to something of substance and get some more experience of life. She sure has her reasons for obtaining her current lifestyle, but from the outside it looks like she prefers the easy way.
She´s 26 now, just like Mathilde was when she married Prince Philippe. It was self-evident that Mathilde had to give up her own speech therapy practise, but she decided to continue her (part time) studies of psychology and obtained her university diploma in 2002 while carrying out her royal activities and becoming mother for the first time. She was recently asked in an interview about this and answered it sure wasn´t wasted time and energy as the experience she got back then is useful for her work as princess now. And you could tell that her work as speech therapist meant a lot to her. I´m pretty sure the unmarried Kate is time- and intelligence-wise in the position to go back to the university and extend her education if a job isn´t the right thing for her.
Princess Maxima uses her experience as former banker for her microcredit work. Kate could bring her expertise into heritage projects – at present to work with her knowledge of art history and later as a married woman to get an own profile. And there would be more examples of this kind.
The bottom line: I think the girl friend of a Prince should work, for her own sake and self-confidence - and for a smoother start into royal work post wedding.

Queen Sylvia of Sweden had the perfect job before becoming Queen - she was a translator that worked high-profile events like the Olympics. So she was used to interacting with all types of people in a highly glamorous setting but as a support person she learned to be pleasant and know how to fade in the background if necessary.

The job required a high level of intelligence and a general comfort in working with all manners of people in a dignified manner.

But I don't see an equivalent job that Kate could take. The very career centric and ambitious jobs like Princess Alexandra's job as a portfolio manager before she married Joachim are likely to make Kate even more disappointed with the lack of scope of her Royal role if she and William decide to marry. The public role of a female consort is by definition pretty limited.

Someone please refresh my memory - did the Queen Mother work before she married into the royal family, and if so, what did she do? If not, did she get the same "get a job" criticisms before she married? Did she do charity work before she was married, or did she get a pass on that, as well? Was she seen as a lazy "layabout" who did nothing but socialize, which I'm sure she did a lot of? If I recall, she was Lady Bowes-Lyon before she married, and therefore I'm sure she lived off her parents' money for the most part before she married. I realize it was a different time period, but I'm wondering what has made society different now where we DEMAND that a woman work or she apparently doesn't deserve the oxygen she breathes?

I find this a very silly comparison, and a very strange question, what has made society different? Murderers were hanged quite against their human rights, it was considered shameful to marry already pregnant and the idea of a couple marrying with two or more children in tow was just out of the question. Living with a man was considered living in sin. Queen Victoria not that long before had had chloroform during the birth of her last baby, how controversial was that, many thought that a woman was meant to suffer and should. Oscar Wilde went to gaol, and not only that his plays were disguised so that one could openly go and see them. In those days a young lady of an aristocratic family did not work. These are different times and values. Any young lady going for holiday with a young prince would have been named as something else other than a girlfriend in those days. Different times, different values. You may as well talk chalk and cheese.
Nowadays even young ladies of noble birth and from rich families can work if they wish and not be criticized for it, not that long ago they would have been criticized for doing just that.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have to remember that comparing the role of a crown princess in Denmark or the Netherlands to the UK is apples and oranges. The duties and responsibilities of a Princess of Wales is far more burdensome and the tabloid media is always present.

A working princess sounds reasonable, but it has never sat well with the public and the few times it was tried (notably....Prince Edward and Sophie), it ended in disaster.

I personally do not think it is a wise move.

I think the original question was a wife could have a regular job after marriage and with the House of Windsor I think the answer is a simple: No. Her job will be full time royal duties. She will simply have no time for anything else. That goes for both William's and Harry's wives, IMO. Harry is a very prominent member fo the RF himself much more popular than Edward was and not even Edward's wife Sophie could keep her job hence Harry's won't either.

Before a wedding a job would of course be possible if intrusion by paps can be kept at bay and if the subject at hand is not a political one or one that could interfere with the RF's neutrality. I guess a journalist for example could have some problems being "official girlfriend" and doing her job at the same time, similarly any political work could pose a problem but other than that a girlfriend can of course hold a regular job. Whether she should is a whole other question that doesn't really belong here, I think.

Well, it´s certainly no crime, but it´s no role model either. It´s without any doubt up to Kate how she spends her days and as girlfriend of William she doesn´t have to be a role model - but I`m convinced her life as Princess (if she gets there) will be easier if she would commit herself to something of substance and get some more experience of life.
So, does this mean you believe that if Catherine and William had not been courting for the past few years, Catherine would have lived her life differently?, Or would she have lived as she has anyway, the life of the daughter of an affluent family, taking her time to decide what career she might like to commit herself to?

If you take William out of the picture, she is just doing what 1000's of girls (and boys) do!

IMO, fair is fair...if she HAS to work to satisfy a certain segment, then she has the right to work in any capacity, without reservation or condition. It seems to be to be hypocritical to insist on Kate getting a job, indepent of her family's business, and then put restriction on what she can or cannot focus on. Aren't those conditions against her human rights? What if her interest had a political focus, the press and the PC bridgade would be all over her for having the nerve to have an opinion. What's so different than from the by-gone era Lady Bowes-Lyon?

What's so different than from the by-gone era Lady Bowes-Lyon?

I think maybe it's tough for some to imagine that the upper-class lifestyle in the UK really hasn't changed a whole lot since the early 1900s. The rest of the world has become so much different, but it seems to me that many of the wealthy and the aristocratic in Britain are living lives very similar to those of their grandparents and great-grandparents.

I think that it has to do with when women in the 60s and 70s wanted more financial independence. Things have evolved from the point of saying that a woman has a right to work and have a career to the point where a woman is expected to have a career. So if a woman doesn't have a job these days--no matter how accomplished she is or how fulfilled she feels personally--she's seen as a lazy layabout. It's not right.

I'm wondering what has made society different now where we DEMAND that a woman work or she apparently doesn't deserve the oxygen she breathes?

I think it'd be tough for William's wife to have a normal career...Harry's would probably be fine.

I think no one mentioned this so sorry if it has been mentioned. Chelsea is going to become an attorney, with that degree she can do many types of things. She could still work part time with her own firm and still do royal events. She could also use her skills for royal events and especially Harry's charities. Kate on the other hand... I don't know.

Good luck to Chelsy if she does practice law. Really! A glimps at the career of Cherie Blair during her years at No. 10 would give a taste. Daily Mail and etc will be tickled pink at the thought of picking over her cases and clients, and making all sorts of headlines over how any one of them would taint Chelsy's character and in extension the Royal Family, blah-blah-blah. None of it has to be true, of course.

Kate on the other hand... I don't know.

If Kate and William do get married, she's going to automatically have a full-time job on her hands being Princess William.

Why not?

Why does the wife have to give up her own ambitions etc when marrying into the BRF?

Why not change the entire structure and allow the royals to have a life, except for the monarch, who is after all the only one with any constitutional role?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the way that Charles and then later William is going to move the royal family. It made sense to have a lot of royals when the empire and commonwealth was so large AND travelling took so long but now it is possible to fly to the other side of the world, undertake an engagement or two and be back in a couple of days e.g. Harry and the Naval Review in Sydney.

That would mean that one or two royals could do all the really important stuff and the fluff stuff that fills most of the CC now could be left to the local mayor or whomever and also that the spouses could actually have real lives instead of having to give up their dreams simply because of whom they happened to fall in love with.

So basically two working royals who don't do a whole lot and the rest doing whatever they want with their lives?

Why not? Why does the wife have to give up her own ambitions etc when marrying into the BRF?

Pretty medieval. for sure. :ermm:

Why not change the entire structure and allow the royals to have a life, except for the monarch, who is after all the only one with any constitutional role?

It seems to me that this is the path the monarchy will take. It must. :flowers:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the way that Charles and then later William is going to move the royal family. It made sense to have a lot of royals when the empire and commonwealth was so large AND travelling took so long but now it is possible to fly to the other side of the world, undertake an engagement or two and be back in a couple of days e.g. Harry and the Naval Review in Sydney.

Yep. :flowers:

That would mean that one or two royals could do all the really important stuff and the fluff stuff that fills most of the CC now could be left to the local mayor or whomever and also that the spouses could actually have real lives instead of having to give up their dreams simply because of whom they happened to fall in love with.

Exactly so, but I am not British and I am not a subject of the monarch. Not my look-out. :flowers: It just seems reasonable given the proclivities of the current generation of young royals (William and Harry). Given what I have read, I think this path was being laid down decades ago. Makes sense. :flowers:

So basically two working royals who don't do a whole lot and the rest doing whatever they want with their lives?

Why not? :flowers: Who 'don't do a lot' vis-a-vis royal duties, that is, thus leaving them free to follow a private life. Seems the only sane path to take for the sake of the people involved, don't you think?

Last edited:

Basically two working royals doing around 600 engagements each per year while the others have real jobs and not royal related activities.

When you look at the sorts of things that fills most of the diaries they are really not necessary but simply opening hospital wings, visiting this and that place, watching sport events etc. Royals who wanted to do charity work could still do that - as can people in the real world.

Only the monarch has to do anything official such as reading the red boxes, meeting the PM, Opening Parliament, dissolving parliament, swearing in the PM and cabinet and signing legislation etc. Really no need for the rest of them at all.

I am of the impression that Henry wants a wife, not a live in companion. A wife who will accompany him on royal duties I am sure. And he wants to have children. At least that is what his interviews have lead me to believe.

Not so sure if Chelsy would be content with that. Clearly full time law is no longer her passion. What is? No interviews, no idea.

It may be that she is ready to be a Mum and she feels that and royal duties will be plenty for quite some time. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom