Could the princes' future wives continue working?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, but those reasons are rooted in an 'old version' of royalty 101. :cool: Harry talked about 'modernizing'. I think he has ideas. Might surprise us. Might. Maybe.

Thank you!! My point exactly! I think she will continue acting as a royal. And I am not going to debate this any longer. It's pointless We will find out soon enough.

It's incredible we haven't met Harry and some know more than he does about what Meghan or they can cannot do once married.

It's reasons based on comments given by Meghan herself too...and modernizing doesn't mean a total departure or swift changes.

What are the comments Meghan has made that leads you to believe the acting option when married to Harry is off-the-table? :ermm:

Very unlikely Meghan will continue as an actress if she marries Harry. LaRae

We'll see, as the saying goes. :flowers: She (and they as a couple) would be so much more interesting with Meghan acting rather than just carrying posies around and unveiling plaques. ;) That's the same'ol'same'ol routine. Why continue it? I'd bet Sophie and Edward would be supporters. :cool:

Thank you!! My point exactly! I think she will continue acting as a royal. And I am not going to debate this any longer. It's pointless We will find out soon enough.

It's incredible we haven't met Harry and some know more than he does about what Meghan or they can cannot do once married.

I really hope so! :flowers: It would be so much fun. She'd also be maintaining her own income. There's something to be said for that.

Also, keep in mind that she doesn't have to be acting 24/7 to continue in her career. Many actors take a voluntary hiatus when marriage or a baby arrives. There are many ways of working in the business, like VoiceOver ;). Plus there is the added dimension of doing charity gigs around various acting scenarios. (I think Princess Grace did a Peter and the Wolf reading with a symphony). Things like that. The possibilities are limited only by her own interests.

However, she may welcome segueing out of acting. Many do that, too. Maybe she will be one who does so gladly. Time to move on. But I would hope for her that it is her decision and not 'forced' because of a marriage. JMO.

What are the comments Meghan has made that leads you to believe the acting option when married to Harry is off-the-table? :ermm:

We'll see, as the saying goes. :flowers: She (and they as a couple) would be so much more interesting with Meghan acting rather than just carrying posies around and unveiling plaques. ;) That's the same'ol'same'ol routine. Why continue it? I'd bet Sophie and Edward would be supporters. :cool:

I really hope so! :flowers: It would be so much fun. She'd also be maintaining her own income. There's something to be said for that.

Also, keep in mind that she doesn't have to be acting 24/7 to continue in her career. Many actors take a voluntary hiatus when marriage or a baby arrives. There are many ways of working in the business, like VoiceOver ;). Plus there is the added dimension of doing charity gigs around various acting scenarios. (I think Princess Grace did a Peter and the Wolf reading with a symphony). Things like that. The possibilities are limited only by her own interests.

However, she may welcome segueing out of acting. Many do that, too. Maybe she will be one who does so gladly. Time to move on. But I would hope for her that it is her decision and not 'forced' because of a marriage. JMO.

The've been posted in this thread...snips from interviews she's done in the past when talking about wanting a family etc. You can probably google them.

She's talked about things changing when she has a family, her desire to have one, about changing her job priorities etc. She's also talked about how she works in order to pay for her charity work ..that's how she funds it.

It's been talked about several times here. No one would be forcing her to quit acting. That would be a choice she freely makes.

Further...it's not just about carrying around flowers. Harry is involved in serious charitable works and so will his wife be. It will be a partnership.

LaRae

TShe's talked about things changing when she has a family, her desire to have one, about changing her job priorities etc. She's also talked about how she works in order to pay for her charity work ..that's how she funds it.

Well, there you go. :flowers: Meghan has an income now. Is it worth her while to leave money on the table because of a marriage? There are many ways of working in this business in a family friendly way. Just saying.

Further...it's not just about carrying around flowers. Harry is involved in serious charitable works and so will his wife be. It will be a partnership. LaRae

Of course not. ;) That was a bit of fun, though I sometimes think people expect Meghan (or any wife of Harry's) to morph into the 'standard' royal wife version made 'popular' for the past several decades. I don't think that expectation is realistic. I would go further and say it's not a healthy expectation to put on someone. Harry is not the heir. JMO. :flowers:

Well, there you go. :flowers: Meghan has an income now. Is it worth her while to leave money on the table because of a marriage? There are many ways of working in this business in a family friendly way. Just saying.

Of course not. ;) That was a bit of fun, though I sometimes think people expect Meghan (or any wife of Harry's) to morph into the 'standard' royal wife version made 'popular' for the past several decades. I don't think that expectation is realistic. I would go further and say it's not a healthy expectation to put on someone. Harry is not the heir. JMO. :flowers:
She's hardly going to be penniless being married to the son of PoW and eventually son of a monarch. And she's not being forced to do anything. The role of Harry's wife is more than just a wife, it's a job in public as well. She can walk away if she decides she wants to act and be married to someone else. It's a choice. If she chooses to marry Harry, she's making a choice to end her acting career as well.

BTW, how do you see her security issue and then on-profiting from her role issue working out if she marries Harry and keeps acting? Or how about love scenes in a romance? How about if her character gets married on screen? Can you imagine what media will print if HRH, Duchess of ___________ married someone else on TV? Yes, I know it's make believe, but that'll make for a few problematic headlines.

Last edited by a moderator:
She will be expected to undertake a full time role as a member of the BRF, along side Harry.

In return H&M will live rent and maintenance free in a home given by his grandmother, father, and eventually his brother. They will have staff paid for by HM and/or his brother.

Rent and maintenance of any accommodation in KP, BP, StJP is paid for by the Monarch, therefore by taxpayer funds.

And their security will be paid for directly by the taxpayer.

Or they can go and sort themselves out somewhere else without involving the British public.

She's hardly going to be penniless being married to the son of PoW and eventually son of a monarch.

It's about her own money. Not her husband's. :cool: And in this case, the blow-back because it's viewed as 'taxpayers money'.

And she's not being forced to do anything. The role of Harry's wife is more than just a wife, it's a job in public as well. She can walk away if she decides she wants to act and be married to someone else. It's a choice. If she chooses to marry Harry, she's making a choice to end her acting career as well.

That is being forced. If she marries then thus-and-so must be given up. :sad: I've long maintained that these conventions make someone like Harry finding a spouse (seriously) problematic. Time to change all of those expectations. JMO.

BTW, how do you see her security issue and then on-profiting from her role issue working out if she marries Harry and keeps acting? Or how about love scenes in a romance? How about if her character gets married on screen? Can you imagine what media will print if HRH, Duchess of ___________ married someone else on TV? Yes, I know it's make believe, but that'll make for a few problematic headlines.

Well, you have scenarios going on there that are pure speculation. Meghan is not necessarily going to spend her acting career in one love scene after another. In fact, as the years roll on these kind of 'opportunities' (if one can call them that) tend to abate, and Meghan is on that cusp. As for people somehow confusing Meghan playing the wife of Brad Pitt on screen with her real-life persona, well, I'm at a loss for words with that idea. :ermm:

As for security and 'profiting', well. security can be worked out (and is routinely, in fact, for many), and 'profiting', there is a curious double-standard about that concept. It's so knotty that I 'll leave it be. I have a different perspective. :flowers:

It's about her own money. Not her husband's. :cool: And in this case, the blow-back because it's viewed as 'taxpayers money'.

That is being forced. If she marries then thus-and-so must be given up. :sad: I've long maintained that these conventions make someone like Harry finding a spouse (seriously) problematic. Time to change all of those expectations. JMO.

Well, you have scenarios going on there that are pure speculation. Meghan is not necessarily going to spend her acting career in one love scene after another. In fact, as the years roll on these kind of 'opportunities' (if one can call them that) tend to abate, and Meghan is on that cusp. As for people somehow confusing Meghan playing the wife of Brad Pitt on screen with her real-life persona, well, I'm at a loss for words with that idea. :ermm:

As for security and 'profiting', well. security can be worked out (and is routinely, in fact, for many), and 'profiting', there is a curious double-standard about that concept. It's so knotty that I 'll leave it be. I have a different perspective. :flowers:
There is a different standard. It's the royal family. If one wants "fair", marry an average Joe. And the BRF have certain rules of conduct not because they enjoy it, but because they exist based on opinion of the public. Sophie and Edward and whomever can have whatever opinion they want, at the end of the day, their public life and how they conduct themselves in public is subject to judgement from the people.

And no, having a choice isn't forcing. It does make Harry's chances for finding a wife problematic, but that's the way it is unless he wants to give up his role in the monarchy like his uncle did. In that case, he can do whatever pleases him. Until then, there are certain compromises he and his wife will have to make.

How do you propose they work out the security issue? There are already people up in arms about one of Harry's security guard with her yesterday because the RPO is paid through taxpayer money. there is no way the public will support her having RPO paid for by the public if she's a working actress not undertaking royal duties full time. Especially if the York princesses no longer have RPOs and Duke of York has to pay for their security on his own. And yes, the public will always expect a high ranking member of BRF not to profit off of their rank and proximity to monarch. It's a bad look. It's fine if she marries a business man, but the BRF relies on public support.

You can have all the opinion you want. Quite frankly, I couldn't careless if she continue to work as an actress or not. However, I'm just pointing out the flaw in your logic and how that's living in dream land.

What it all boils down to is the old adage "love me, love my dog". Harry's "dog" in this scenario is his role as a senior member of the British Royal Family. I don't think there can really be any inbetween or working things to make thing different than what Harry's role is, what his birthright is, what is expected of him and that is the package that Meghan will take on should she agree to marry Harry.

Going into marriage, Meghan will have the full monty of what is expected that her life will be like. What she would be expected to do as a wife of a senior working member of the British Royal Family. Frankly, I think if any of this had in any way disagreed with her, she would have been long gone by now.

Its not about personal aims and ambitions. Its not about financial status. Its not even about strict rules and regulations about how the BRF operates. This is about two people that should they marry, form a team to love, support and cherish each other no matter how they live their lives. *That* is what matters the most and will be the sole deciding factor if and when they do marry.

Meghan is an intelligent and mature woman, I'm not going to act as if she's an idiot and doesn't know the basics of what she's getting into. I think what makes this relationship seem like a perfect fit to me is that Meghan was already so involved in her charity work before Harry. While she loves her acting work, that seemed to be a way for her to do more for this world at times. Then how lucky is she to have found someone that can allow her to do this full time? And how lucky is Harry to find someone who would want to take it on? It doesn't get much better of a fit than this.

For a lot of woman, giving up their career might seem like a huge sacrifice, but I don't think Meghan sees it that way. She's just transitioning from one thing she loved to do to another she loved and wanted to spend more time on to begin with.

What it all boils down to is the old adage "love me, love my dog". Harry's "dog" in this scenario is his role as a senior member of the British Royal Family. I don't think there can really be any inbetween or working things to make thing different than what Harry's role is, what his birthright is, what is expected of him and that is the package that Meghan will take on should she agree to marry Harry.

Going into marriage, Meghan will have the full monty of what is expected that her life will be like. What she would be expected to do as a wife of a senior working member of the British Royal Family. Frankly, I think if any of this had in any way disagreed with her, she would have been long gone by now.

Not necessarily. She has succumbed to Harry's pursuit. They are happy. They are in love. It's a happy moment. That we know. We have been told so. But we have not been told that Harry has proposed. We know naught of Meghan's proclivities in the matter. She's getting to know the situation. There is still plenty of time to be 'long gone.' JMO. :flowers:

Its not about personal aims and ambitions. Its not about financial status. Its not even about strict rules and regulations about how the BRF operates.

But it is.

This is about two people that should they marry, form a team to love, support and cherish each other no matter how they live their lives. *That* is what matters the most and will be the sole deciding factor if and when they do marry.

Disagree. This is so fraught with so much 'stuff' (the public being part of that 'stuff') that Meghan could reasonably say it's a no-go even if she genuinely loves the guy. She can do far far more work as a single. She can still work with Harry as a partner in charity endeavors, and be free from the constraints of royal life. That to me sounds like a win-win for Meghan. Whatever she chooses, I wish her well. :flowers:

Last edited:
Contrary to popular opinion, the public does not "pay" for any royal to do their engagements and duties. The only thing that the public pays directly for is their security. If you're interested in where the money comes from and how the royals are financed, there's an entire thread on the subject which also contain the yearly reports of where the money came from and how it was spent.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/royal-wealth-and-finances-9826.html

Thank you.

It's reasons based on comments given by Meghan herself too...and modernizing doesn't mean a total departure or swift changes.

Very unlikely Meghan will continue as an actress if she marries Harry.

LaRae

Totally agree!

I beg to differ. Those two are a perfect example of why anyone working privately outside of their roles as senior royals would be a complete disaster

The fake sheikh sting with the scandalous indiscretions should act as a lesson to all. And I believe should Meghan marry Harry she would do well to use Sophie’s misjudgement earlier on in marriage as a guide on what NOT to do when married into Royalty. Situations can go horribly, horribly wrong.

There’s just so much other kinds work and deeds to be done that a royal spouse can legitimately indulge in. Not least the charity side of things. This is where Meghan excels, she’s naturally and genuinely drawn towards good causes.. Her background proves this, and in her own words “... this type of work is what feeds my soul, and fuels my purpose”.

The Queen and members of her family have been “carrying posies and unveiling plaques” most of their lives and I don’t see why that “same'ol'same'ol routine” as you call it should have to change with Meghan.:ermm:

I beg to differ. Those two are a perfect example of why anyone working privately outside of their roles as senior royals would be a complete disaster

The fake sheikh sting with the scandalous indiscretions should act as a lesson to all. And I believe should Meghan marry Harry she would do well to use Sophie’s misjudgement earlier on in marriage as a guide on what NOT to do when married into Royalty. Situations can go horribly, horribly wrong.

There’s just so much other kinds work and deeds to be done that a royal spouse can legitimately indulge in. Not least the charity side of things. This is where Meghan excels, she’s naturally and genuinely drawn towards good causes.. Her background proves this, and in her own words “... this type of work is what feeds my soul, and fuels my purpose”.

The Queen and members of her family have been “carrying posies and unveiling plaques” most of their lives and I don’t see why that “same'ol'same'ol routine” as you call it should have to change with Meghan.:ermm:

There's also another way to look at the "carrying posies and unveiling plaques" type of thing. Most likely if a royal personage is there and doing these things, its because that royal has been involved with the charity or the patronage and doing other things with them. The "posies" and "plaques" actually play a small part in the work the royal has done. We just don't often see the behind the scenes work that goes into their patronages or the royal's total involvement.

For example. Had Harry unveiled a plaque or was presented flowers this past week in Toronto, it would fall into this category but we, who have followed Harry's involvement with the Invictus Games, *know* there's so much more to it than the flowers and the plaques. :D

The reality is the flowers and plaques are 98% of their job. The work behind the scenes for MOST of their patronages is very much that, attending events. The prep is basically briefings about the event and what is happening with the charity. And if they are giving a speech. They aren't doing hands on volunteering. They aren't planning charity events, actively fundraising, they aren't donating their time at charities and getting hands dirty.

There is the rare exception. Harry having actually worked in Africa, or when he did his sports training recently. Camilla reads to kids when she visits her literacy programs.

For people who have been more hands on in their involvement, that might not be fulfilling. For someone who has actually gone over seas and been involved on the ground in charity work, handing out flowers or attending a ball may not feel as rewarding.

The reason royal brides don't have jobs outside the firm...because the firm is considered to be a job. For senior royals it is intended to be full time. Actual careers require time commitments that royal duties would conflict with. If the royal spouse took a whole bunch of time away from their other job for royal duties, there would be criticism from all sides. That they took a job away from people who could use it. That they are not fully committed to royal life. Look at the criticism William received for his lack of flying hours and his lack of royal duties. He got it from both sides. A married in spouse would be worse.

Whoever marries in needs to be prepared to give up their job. But also the pace of life. For someone used to working 40 hours a week, doing 150 duties a year (probably about 80-90 days of work at most as some are multiple event days), would be a huge shock. Events are 2-3 hours, and say double that for prep work, about average 18 hours a week (48 week work year, month of vacation time more generous then most). Yes there is prep work, but it still isn't the same kind of work you did before. What do you do with your time? Better have a lot of hobbies you can do in private.

By example, there's been many, many times that a royal has spoken about finding the right person and throwing into the mix the words "taking me on". They know what a spouse will be letting themselves in for if they should choose to marry into the family.

Part of "taking Harry on" for Meghan will be taking on his role as a senior working member of the "Firm" of the British Royal Family. That's been something about Harry that Meghan has been aware of since she first laid eyes on him and it hasn't scared her off yet.

I've seen absolutely nothing to indicate that Harry would be aiming for a different type of a royal lifestyle. In fact, I'd go as far as to state that finding his niche as a senior royal pretty much was put into action watching him in Toronto this past week. I've seen absolutely no indication that Meghan has any qualms about leaving the acting profession. In fact, I'd wager she could probably see her new "role" as a wonderful step up in how'd she like her life to be from a professional angle. From a TV stage set to the world stage is quite a larger audience that can reach so many more people.

All this "working" stuff though I think, should they marry, actually takes second place to what their priority goal will be after the wedding and that is to establish a home and family life together. Whatever they do, it will be something they jointly agree on and want as a couple.

I've deleted and edited a number posts that have nothing to do with the thread. Just a reminder, this thread isn't about how long M&H having been dating, how often they see one another, how much press Meghan gets, or whether they're in love. Let's stick to the topic, which is whether Harry's future wife can continue working.

The reality is the flowers and plaques are 98% of their job. The work behind the scenes for MOST of their patronages is very much that, attending events. The prep is basically briefings about the event and what is happening with the charity. And if they are giving a speech. They aren't doing hands on volunteering. They aren't planning charity events, actively fundraising, they aren't donating their time at charities and getting hands dirty.

There is the rare exception. Harry having actually worked in Africa, or when he did his sports training recently. Camilla reads to kids when she visits her literacy programs.

For people who have been more hands on in their involvement, that might not be fulfilling. For someone who has actually gone over seas and been involved on the ground in charity work, handing out flowers or attending a ball may not feel as rewarding.

The reason royal brides don't have jobs outside the firm...because the firm is considered to be a job. For senior royals it is intended to be full time. Actual careers require time commitments that royal duties would conflict with. If the royal spouse took a whole bunch of time away from their other job for royal duties, there would be criticism from all sides. That they took a job away from people who could use it. That they are not fully committed to royal life. Look at the criticism William received for his lack of flying hours and his lack of royal duties. He got it from both sides. A married in spouse would be worse.

Whoever marries in needs to be prepared to give up their job. But also the pace of life. For someone used to working 40 hours a week, doing 150 duties a year (probably about 80-90 days of work at most as some are multiple event days), would be a huge shock. Events are 2-3 hours, and say double that for prep work, about average 18 hours a week (48 week work year, month of vacation time more generous then most). Yes there is prep work, but it still isn't the same kind of work you did before. What do you do with your time? Better have a lot of hobbies you can do in private.

I strongly disgree that 98% of their job is flowers and plaques.

The job entails a considerable degree ofc empthy and understanding for all of issues facing people. They spend time with parents who have lost children or facing the loss of their child, they support injured and mutilated patients - be they victims of terrorism or are heroes from the military.

Caring for the homeless, putting programmes in place for young people to start their own businesses or find they work.

Congratulating people on their achievements and commiserating on their losses.

It it was just flowers and plaques then anyone could do it and it is patently obvious that isnt the case. Empathy, patience, understanding of issues, (small p) politcal skills, good temperament, communication skills, good health and loads of resiliance.

By the way, the flowers are a thank you, and the plaques are to remember a special day.

:previous: sorry had to sort out dinner..... cont.

So with the amount of effort required as well as background work, attending formal royal events and o/s travel on behalf of the government, I think its a challenging job for anyone. Sharing it with yr o/half would mean sharing experiences and helping each other. So I would say no to another job.

Also a unique opportunity to do good - just consider H and Invictus.

I also think Meghan is okay with leaving the acting profession. She's already written about being interested in a life beyond acting. Although she's a competent actor, I don't see her winning awards and blowing anyone's socks off with her acting talents. She enjoys giving back to others, and she and Harry are on the same wavelength in that respect.

Meghan's high profile these days is due to her being Prince Harry's significant other. However, she brings a lot to the table and that's why she's won Harry's heart. Had she not met Harry, there was still so much open to Meghan and a variety of different opportunities for her to pursue post the end of Suits. Now that it looks like Meghan will be with Harry for the duration of building a life together, she's already given up a number of career opportunities. So, I think she's looking forward to taking on the life of a royal wife. She will be able to fulfill her humanitarian interests in a more significant and in-depth way that her heightened profile and eventual royal status will offer.

Meghan has been quite successful over the course of filming Suits (with a number of opportunities landed as a result of her profile on the show, and with the launch of her former lifestyle website). As a result, she's managed to amass a lucrative income. I wonder how Meghan will be settling all her financial affairs once she moves to London? Deciding not to renew her Reitmans contract, and closing down the Tig website earlier this year, were huge developments that obviously signaled how far along Meghan and Harry had traveled in their partnership with each other. I would imagine that Harry is committed and devoted to ensuring Meghan did not give up those opportunities in vain.

Last edited:
I'm thinking she's already got money invested so she can have earnings on that and using the earnings for various charities etc she might be interested in. I would expect that to continue if she marries Harry.

LaRae

:previous: Okay yes. And I would imagine Meghan's been investing wisely all along over the course of six years on Suits. Plus, she probably has a contract which stipulates she will receive royalties for her work on the show should it go into syndication, which is highly likely.

Yes I'm sure she has a financial advisor to guide her if needed or a planner who handles it for her....and legal advice for her work contracts. She's certainly well set up on her own. She doesn't 'need' Harry in a financial manner.

LaRae

In 2018 YouGov conducted a survey on the thread topic, although the question was phrased as whether women who married into the royal family should or should not continue outside careers, rather than whether they could or could not.

49% of the British public thought that royal wives should continue their outside careers, while 24% thought they should not.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.n...fingtonPost_Results_180514_RoyalWedding_w.pdf

Last edited:
It depends on the wives surely? If someone is married to a senior working royal, generallly, he has limitations on an outside career and she would generally be the same

Back
Top Bottom