The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent

The DM at its most sly.
I know this is in some thread some where, but the search strings I used led me nowhere fast.
Does the COE believe that Charles and Camilla are married? And isn't that a relevant question? And what's the source for any reply (what does the Synod or Primate have to say on the issue?
I dug a bit.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...zjsysw&cad=rja says the COE recognizes all civil marriages as legally valid (item 1)
This policy paper on the COE position on same sex marriage would lead one to believe that the COE sees civil marriage as valid (Item 17). https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...eAzz7A&cad=rja

And this page says nothing at all about a civil marriage being invalid: https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/ar...rry-in-church/ It does say that marrying in church has benefits.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Oh I'm sure everything and everyone will be buzzing about the different issues surrounding the coronation but I don't see Charles and Camilla jumping into the fray and fighting one way or the other. I'd be willing to bet my last strudel that they've already pretty much come to grips with the situation and will accept whatever is deemed "correct" when the time comes.

We have to remember too that the moment Charles becomes king, it means that he's lost his mother.
Following the loss of his mother, it will probably take a few months anyway for Charles to be crowned. The British coronation actually has no meaning in law as, unlike a proclamation or a investiture, it is not a required ritual for the new king to assume the royal prerogative. It is actually a religious ceremony rather than a civil one and will probably be phased out after Charles' accession, not least because the CofE is likely to be disestablished at some point in the 21st century (maybe in Willam's reign, or even before that).

Old 10-07-2016, 05:22 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To me, it would just seem logical that if the Church of England did not consider Camilla and Charles married, they would never have held a ceremony to bless the marriage after the civil ceremony.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-02-2016, 03:09 PM
Commoner

But isn't the question about constitutional marriage a slightly different affair from whether the COE considers marriage for the normal Anglican? It's an extra layer of definition that really only applies to the monarch's marriage, and not even, really, the POW.

I do think it's something that still needs sorting out. But I think this is exactly the sort of detail that monarchies are best able to adjust from generation to generation and it's only logical for this marriage to be the one that brings this set of requirements more up to date and in line with the general definition of marriage in the COE and in broader British society.

But also, I expect it's in this level of fine detail that Charles will "modernize" the coronation ceremony when his time comes. I expect to see a lot of small tweaks here and there to streamline things, but it seems laughable to me to think that major points of continuity from generation to generation like the use of coronets and peer robes, etc. would be altered.

At this point, the value of a monarch is to be a visible and tangible link to the particular traditions and history that make his or her nation special. In the UK, one of the major points to highlight is the fact that the central traditions date back to the Medieval Era, and that there's been an unbroken line of monarchs on the throne since Charles II, so the highest levels of pomp and circumstance, of which a coronation is the highest, will always have some level Medieval and Baroque overtones (those robes, for instance). And, quite frankly, the most cost-effective pomp to include is the kind that the monarch himself doesn't have to pay for, such as other people's fancy-pants attire.

I'm willing to bet the place for big changes will be the activities surrounding the actual coronation, such as the procession to and from Westminster. When everyone and their brother can see all the details of the ceremony in high def on their phone, there's not really such a need to turn the ride back home into the most overwhelming possible impression by parading of all the fancy carriages in the realm. That's the kind of place where I expect Charles to really pull back and make it be all about his own family (he and Cam, W+K and their kids, Harry and his wife, if he has one by then).

Tags
british monarchs, ceremonies, coronation, king george vi, regalia