The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-19-2015, 02:33 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
You make a good, valid point there. Who knows what the future will bring.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:36 PM
Majesty

Apparently the coronets used for Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret were just fantasy coronets in mediaeval style and specially commissioned for this event. They do not have any historic relevance and were just meant "to dress up" as the two Princesses were no Peers at all and shoud -normally- not wear anything. I can not imagine that anno 2015 or later Prince George and Princess Charlotte will still wear those fantasy crowns which refer to nothing. At least the crowns of the Duke of Norfolk, or the Marquess of Winchester, or the Earl of Shrewsbury at least refer to centuries and centuries old peerages. These fake crowns only add to the feeling "it is just silly theatre, folks". I would keep it pure and not dress it up.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:52 PM
Courtier

Please forgive me if I am going off topic but the whole making things up for the sake of pageantry was arguably a large part of PC's investiture as Prince of Wales was it not?
Old 08-19-2015, 04:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
You make a good, valid point there. Who knows what the future will bring.
Thank you Osipi and may I say how much I like your various smileys. Not that I don't enjoy your informative post's as well...
Old 08-19-2015, 05:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Please forgive me if I am going off topic but the whole making things up for the sake of pageantry was arguably a large part of PC's investiture as Prince of Wales was it not?
Índeed, I can not imagine the new King to invest the new Prince of Wales with such newly invented theatre again.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:30 PM
Courtier

One sees it now and it looks so set in the sixties, so of its time and that crown? But Royalty is about Pageantry is it not?
Old 08-19-2015, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

PoW investiture is a made up thing that only has been done for Edward and Charles the last 2 PoWs. No set formula. Charles's was basically a made for TV event designed by Lord Snowdon

The coronation service goes back a 1000 years. The service itself hasn't been changed since 1689.

It's safe to say when Charles is crowned (assuming no doomsday scenario) the grandkids aren't going to be adults. The BRF typically doesn't take really young kids to church services and the coronation is longer than a wedding or funeral would be. So W&K would have to decide if the kids can't handle sitting in the royal box. There is a coronet design for the children of the heir apparent but would they want to make them use it in the part after the crowning when the peers don their coronets.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-19-2015, 10:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
PoW investiture is a made up thing that only has been done for Edward and Charles the last 2 PoWs. No set formula. Charles's was basically a made for TV event designed by Lord Snowdon

The coronation service goes back a 1000 years. The service itself hasn't been changed since 1689.

It's safe to say when Charles is crowned (assuming no doomsday scenario) the grandkids aren't going to be adults. The BRF typically doesn't take really young kids to church services and the coronation is longer than a wedding or funeral would be. So W&K would have to decide if the kids can't handle sitting in the royal box. There is a coronet design for the children of the heir apparent but would they want to make them use it in the part after the crowning when the peers don their coronets.
Exactly - there are specific coronets for the heir apparent, his (and now her) children, other children of a sovereign, and grandchildren of a sovereign - peers or not. Potential royal coronet wearers for Charles's coronation would be William, George and Charlotte (depending on their ages), Harry, Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie, Anne, Peter, Zara, Louise, James, Edward, Dukes of Gloucester and Kent (if he's still alive, if not, his son will as an "ordinary" duke) Prince Michael, and Princess Alexandra - assuming the Queen's cousins are still alive of course. I'm not sure, but I believe that Catherine, Sophie, Birgitte, Katharine Kent and Marie-Christine would also be entitled as wives, as would the future Princess Harry.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
One sees it now and it looks so set in the sixties, so of its time and that crown? But Royalty is about Pageantry is it not?
Probably they would not use this Crown for William. The one for Charles was made specailly for him as the ral üprince of Wales cvoronet was still with the Duke of Windsor.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Appropriate Age to Wear Jewellery

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
Exactly - there are specific coronets for the heir apparent, his (and now her) children, other children of a sovereign, and grandchildren of a sovereign - peers or not. Potential royal coronet wearers for Charles's coronation would be William, George and Charlotte (depending on their ages), Harry, Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie, Anne, Peter, Zara, Louise, James, Edward, Dukes of Gloucester and Kent (if he's still alive, if not, his son will as an "ordinary" duke) Prince Michael, and Princess Alexandra - assuming the Queen's cousins are still alive of course. I'm not sure, but I believe that Catherine, Sophie, Birgitte, Katharine Kent and Marie-Christine would also be entitled as wives, as would the future Princess Harry.

The article I read had a coronet for the heir-apparent, children of the heir apparent, children of the other sons of the sovereign, grandchildren of the sovereign.

There is a difference of one word between what you and I wrote- a vs the. If it's the , Charles is the sovereign in this discussion and the coronets are limited to Anne, Andrew and Edwards as siblings and then W and H's families.

If a is right, it adds Peter, Zara, Bea, Eugenie, Louise, James, David Linley, Sarah Chatto, DoGloucester, DoKent, Michael of Kent, Alexandra of Kent

The 2 Dukes would had a coronet as dukes.

Which is right?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:53 AM
Majesty

Usually (adult) Princes of the blood royal have a coronet. And of course the Peers.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Commoner

Appropriate Age to Wear Jewellery

Granted, Peter and Zara are grandchildren of a sovereign; however, they are untitled "commoners." Would they still wear coronets? I don't believe they have a right to bear a coronet of any rank on their coats of arms.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshouse View Post
Granted, Peter and Zara are grandchildren of a sovereign; however, they are untitled "commoners." Would they still wear coronets? I don't believe they have a right to bear a coronet of any rank on their coats of arms.
They are no Princes of the Blood Royal and they no Peers of the Realm. So most likely they will wear nothing at the Coronation. The coronets worn by Princes and Peers are derived from their Coat of Arms.

Look at this picture.

From the left to the right:

A Baron (plain silver gilded circlet with six silver balls)

A Marquess (four golden strawberry leaves alternate with four silver balls)

A Duke (eight golden strawberry leaves)

An Earl (eight rays with silver balls with golden stawberry leaves in between)

A Viscount (sixteen silver balls closely set on a circlet)

Old 08-21-2015, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Actually I wonder if coronets and peer's robes will still be used at all at the next coronation. After all it is more than 60 years since the last coronation, and the pomp and circumstance of monarchy has considerably altered during that period. The role of British peers has quite changed also. So I wouldn't be surprised if the coronets and robes will fall prey to the modernization of the coronation ceremony. Maybe there won’t even be tiaras and long gowns, though I certainly do not hope so.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Royal Highness

I hope that the coronation is equal to that of Elizabeth II.

Who were the peers of the realm at the coronation of Elizabeth II?
Old 08-21-2015, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Some hereditary peers by virtue of the their office will be involved. The Duke of Norfolk as the Earl Marshal and Hereditary Marshal of England will oversee many aspects of the coronation.

The Marquess of Cholmondeley as The Lord Great Chamberlain, has charge over the Palace of Westminster and will certainly be there.

Coronets and peer's robes would look magnificent

I think each rank of the peerage will have some representatives in full robes as will life peers.

There are only 24 dukes left so this may be their last 'kick at the can' if you will.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

I believe the next Coronation will reflect on the previous Coronation of 53.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-21-2015, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

BBC - Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II

Old 08-21-2015, 03:52 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I believe the next Coronation will reflect on the previous Coronation of 53.
I really hope it is done up in all the grandeur and splendor that the Queen's coronation was done in. After 62 years, it will be something the majority of UK citizens and global watchers have never seen. Its an actual coronation where the official state regalia is used and the King will actually be crowned rather than just have a crown on display as some other countries have done. Charles is very much a traditionalist and I would imagine he would want things to be as they've been for centuries. No one does pomp and pageantry like the British.

Perhaps a more modern coronation could come into being with the coronation of William. Although its very possible, I don't think William will have such a long wait as his father has had and the grand coronation of Charles will still be remembered by a good percentage of the world.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

One reason why I suspect it won't be as grand is that Westminster Abbey was closed to the public for six months to prepare it for the coronation - to put in all the extra seating etc. I don't see them closing the Abbey for that length of time which would mean fewer guests at the ceremony.

I am not sure it will be anything like 1953 - certainly it will be simpler. One reason will be Charles' age. He will probably be in his late 70s at the time and so the ceremony will need to be shortened for him so he can simply survive it - it would be awful if he couldn't last through the ceremony due to health issues. The Queen was a young woman in her 20s while her son will be in his 70s and he isn't as fit now as he was even 10 years ago. Camilla's health will also be a factor as she also has to make it through the ceremony - whether she is going to be crowned as Queen or simply take the title of Princess Consort she still has to be there for the entire ceremony.

Tags
british monarchs, ceremonies, coronation, king george vi, regalia