Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Queen Elizabeth celebrates 60th coronation anniversary

Old 08-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well this will be fun.

I was just looking at the online pages for this Summer's Coronation Exhibit at BP.

I had no idea that Hartnell designed regalia for so many people and kinds of people.

Down to robes, coronets etc. for Peers. The Peers and Peeresses | Royal Collection Trust

Granted I hope HRH Elizabeth II outlives me, but if she doesn't, this will be the greatest bling-watching opportunity of my life!

It will be fascinating to see what Prince Charles will make of his coronation; will he go for a unified look a la Hartnell or something else. In any case, my imagination is quite abuzz just now.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 08-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Majesty

I don wonder how the next Coronation will take place? I hope the glory and majesty of the event is maintained.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Heir Apparent

The "Hartnell" look as mentioned by AdmirerUS. won't be there. The House of Lords has changed from Hereditary peers (and their wives) to mostly political choices and most of them are male.

I think that as long as the Church of England is still Established and the Monarch is Head of the Church, then much of the "glory and majesty" (hoped for by Dman) will be maintained.

However, I don't think that Charles will wear knee breeches and velvet as his grandfather did - not in keeping with today. I think the service will be abbreviated - a couple of hours at the most. Far more inclusive of the wider population of the UK and the Commonwealth.

And it will feel different. It won't be a 26 year old young woman but a 70-something male. But the music will be superb and it will be a wonderful ceremony.

Then a party and more music and fireworks.

I'm at an age where I'm not 100% certain I'll see it, especially if HMQ hangs on to her centenary. Does she send herself a card?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-09-2013, 04:15 AM

One other requirement for the coronation is that the King or Queen must be at least eighteen before they can be crowned. That's my educated guess. If so and Prince George of Cambridge becomes King before the age of eighteen then his coronation won't occur until July 22, 2031, at the earliest.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:45 AM
Majesty

To be crowned the monarch does have to be 18 as before that there would be a Regency and the monarch wouldn't be able to make the necessary oaths as they would be under age.

I don't think the next Coronation will have the majesty etc of the last as I don't think the people will care as much - I don't see the street parties etc. There will be some pomp and ceremony - maybe the Gold Coach but as it wasn't used last year due to the cost of refurbishing it it maybe that it is permanently mothballed now and so Charles won't be in that coach - maybe they will be in cars with everyone from Andrew down in buses for instance.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I don't think the next Coronation will have the majesty etc of the last as I don't think the people will care as much - I don't see the street parties etc. There will be some pomp and ceremony - maybe the Gold Coach but as it wasn't used last year due to the cost of refurbishing it it maybe that it is permanently mothballed now and so Charles won't be in that coach - maybe they will be in cars with everyone from Andrew down in buses for instance.
I think when the time comes, we just may be pleasantly surprised at how widespread and grand Charles' coronation will be. I do think you're right that it will be scaled down as far as the cars/buses and such, but after seeing how fabulously the people celebrated Will and Kate's wedding and then the Diamond Jubilee, I think the Coronation will be the granddaddy of all celebrations as the majority of people do not remember the coronation of HMQ. Now when Charles passes and William is crowned King, it might be a different story.

I know I'll be glued to the goings on surrounding Charles' coronation should I be fortunate to still be able to.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
To be crowned the monarch does have to be 18 as before that there would be a Regency and the monarch wouldn't be able to make the necessary oaths as they would be under age.
Are you sure?

It's been a good while since there's been an underage British monarch, but from what I can see even when the monarch was underage a coronation still happened.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...itish_monarchs
Old 08-09-2013, 05:39 AM
Majesty

The middle ages were very different as the coronation had to happen for the king to be accepted as king while nowadays the monarch is accepted clearly without the coronation so it won't happen while there is a regency.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Is there a source to back that up? I.E. has Parliament or BP ever said as much, or is this speculation on your part?
Old 08-09-2013, 06:29 AM
Majesty

It is based on the fact that there is now a legal age at which a monarch can assume the responsibities of monarch laid down in law whereas in the middle ages, when this last happened, the age at which a monarch could carry out the duties of monarch were more flexible.

Everything change in 1649 when Parliament decided that an annointed king wasn't anyone special and could be executed so the need to have the monarch crowned as soon as possible, almost as soon as their predecessor was buried went out the window and the idea of a year or so before death and coronation was born.

The formal establishment of an age at which the monarch could actually carry out the role of monarch was set at 18 as that was the age that they could be seen as being responsible.

My information comes from various lecturers in this area - I asked this question at uni many years ago and was told that it was now accepted that the monarch had to be of a legal age to take a legally binding oath such as the coronation oath and so had to be 18.

As these days the monarch has to be legally 18 to actually carry out the duties of the monarch it also makes sense that they won't be crowned until they are able to do so - it would be silly to have a child crowned and make all the oaths etc but not legally be able to carry out any of the formal duties such as signing legislation, dissolving parliament, opening parliament etc until they were some what older. That is set down by law - an monarch must be 18 to avoid a regency.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Royal Highness

The London diarist Samuel Pepys attended the Coronation ceremony of Charles II at Westminster Abbey.
Samuel Pepys wrote:
'The king in his robes, bare headed, which was very fine...in the Quire at the high altar he passed all the ceremonies of the Coronacion...the crowne being put upon his head, a great shout begun...and three times the King-at-armes...proclaimed that if anyone could show any reason why Ch. Steward should not be King of England, that he should come and speak'.

Richard III and his wife Anne made preparations for their coronation.
It was essential that all the rituals be performed correctly.
A special book, The Little Device, was drawn up for their coronation, which followed the provisions set down in Liber Regalis (Royal Book).
On Queen Elizabeth II's Coronation Day in 1953, the Gold State Coach had eight gray horses pulling it.
One of the horses was named Eisenhower after Dwight D. Eisenhower.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Royal Highness

On his Coronation Day of April 23, 1661, Charles II wore robes of crimson velvet and cloth of gold.
He rode a horse fitted with a gold- and pearl-encrusted saddle
to Westminster Abbey.
In September of 1831, William IV was formally crowned.
He only assented to a coronation at all because too many in Parliament insisted on it.
In The War of the Roses, Alison Weir wrote:

In England there was a coronation on 5 November,1429, when Henry VI was crowned at Westminster Abbey. It was a long ordeal for a child not yet eight, but Henry bore it well and with gravity.

The Wikepedia article on Henry VI gave his English coronation date as November 6, 1429.

Which is correct: November 5, 1429 or November 6, 1429
King George V's Coronation Day was June 22, 1911.
Queen Mary's white satin gown was embroidered in gold with the design of rose, shamrock, and thistle.
These motifs would be used on her granddaughter Elizabeth II's Coronation dress in 1953.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Zadok the Priest, in full Zadok the Priest: The Coronation Anthem, the most popular of George Frideric Handel’s Coronation Anthems for George II. Like the three other anthems in the set, “Zadok the Priest” premiered on October 11, 1727, the occasion of the coronation, in London’s Westminster Abbey. Although less widely famed abroad than Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus, “Zadok the Priest,” using texts from the King James Bible, blends voices and instruments into a potent musical statement. The anthem’s majesty is such that it has been used for every English coronation since that of George II.

Though Handel was born in Germany, he spent most of his career in England, becoming a British subject in 1727. He had first arrived in England in 1710 with the expressed wish of learning London’s musical developments for the benefit of his ostensible employer, the elector of Hanover, though Handel’s visits to ...
Zadok the Priest (work by Handel) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

Tags
british monarchs, ceremonies, coronation, king george vi, regalia