The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 03-13-2017, 07:06 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,871
Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in London: April 16-20, 2018

Quote:
The Queen is throwing open the doors of Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle to Commonwealth leaders as the UK looks to forge new trade relations ahead of Brexit.

Prime ministers and presidents from more than 50 countries will gather for meetings in the London and Berkshire royal residences during a summit in 2018.

It will be the first time the buildings have been included in the list of venues for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (Chogm) and the decision was made following discussions between No 10 and the palace.
Read more: Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle added to Commonwealth summit venues - The News
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-27-2018, 06:11 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,633
Princess to be, Meghan, could be taking part in the CHOGM in London this year:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...-state-banquet
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-27-2018, 07:29 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lewisville, United States
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Princess to be, Meghan, could be taking part in the CHOGM in London this year:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...-state-banquet
Would she allowed to wear a tiara for the occasion?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-27-2018, 07:41 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
Would she allowed to wear a tiara for the occasion?
I don’t think so. Not even Diana was allowed to wear a tiara for her very first State Visit before her wedding. She could wear a necklace and bracelet though.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-27-2018, 07:48 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 13,980
Usually a state banquet is when all the bling comes out and shines. This is going to be one, big, major event in the UK and I'm happy to hear that Harry will definitely be stepping up to participate with Meghan expressing an interest in accompanying him. Whether or not she wears a tiara is yet to be determined but, unless I'm unaware of some protocol, most likely she probably will.

This is awfully close to when Kate is expected to deliver her third child so if William and Kate are missing, we know why.

Looking forward to following the events.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-27-2018, 08:54 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 12,358
CHOGM events aren't usually all that interesting. The Queen meets all the Heads of Government individually and then collectively for a photo op. There is then a dinner with HM present and then she leaves while they actually do the talking.

CHOGM is usually over 3 - 4 days with the royals there for one day only - the first one - and gone before the important issues are raised.

Sometimes HM is asked to raise some issues personally with different HOGs to see the way things are lying but she isn't involved in anything important.

This will probably be her last CHOGM so they will make it special for her I am sure (was supposed to be in Sri Lanka but had to be moved and so was moved to London). Future CHOGMs will see Charles and Camilla attend as heir and then as monarch.

As William hopes to be the future Head of the Commonwealth he should be there - regardless of whether Kate is having a baby or not - duty always has to come first and if he hasn't realised that yet then he isn't up to the job, clearly.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-27-2018, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

As William hopes to be the future Head of the Commonwealth he should be there - regardless of whether Kate is having a baby or not - duty always has to come first and if he hasn't realised that yet then he isn't up to the job, clearly.
I disagree, William is not even the heir yet, so if Kate is in labor or childbirth, his place is with her.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-27-2018, 09:49 PM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
CHOGM events aren't usually all that interesting. The Queen meets all the Heads of Government individually and then collectively for a photo op. There is then a dinner with HM present and then she leaves while they actually do the talking.

CHOGM is usually over 3 - 4 days with the royals there for one day only - the first one - and gone before the important issues are raised.

Sometimes HM is asked to raise some issues personally with different HOGs to see the way things are lying but she isn't involved in anything important.

This will probably be her last CHOGM so they will make it special for her I am sure (was supposed to be in Sri Lanka but had to be moved and so was moved to London). Future CHOGMs will see Charles and Camilla attend as heir and then as monarch.

As William hopes to be the future Head of the Commonwealth he should be there - regardless of whether Kate is having a baby or not - duty always has to come first and if he hasn't realised that yet then he isn't up to the job, clearly.
It was supposed to be Vanuatu in 2017, not Sri Lanka. They said that following Cyclone Pam, the damage to their infrastructure was such that it couldn't be held there. David Cameron offered London but delayed till 2018 (next one Malaysia 2020).

I don't see Meghan or Harry taking part in the formal HOG/HMQ element of CHOGM. It has never gone lower than 2nd tier (HMQ/PoW). However, I can see them attending the Forums, particularly those concerning Youth and Women

This is a link to the Forum info. https://www.chogm2018.org.uk/forums

As for William - it's possible that he might attend to make up the 4th place - I'm assuming Prince Philip wont be there.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-27-2018, 10:09 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 12,358
Even as I typed Sri Lanka I thought that didn't make sense but the phone rang and I had to answer it and then didn't check before clicking post.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-27-2018, 10:26 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 4,161
Quote:
As William hopes to be the future Head of the Commonwealth he should be there - regardless of whether Kate is having a baby or not - duty always has to come first and if he hasn't realised that yet then he isn't up to the job, clearly.
I disagree and if Kate' in labor or giving birth, then he should be with his wife. I believe that the people of the UK and in the Commonwealth nations would understand the reason for his absence.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-27-2018, 11:53 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 13,980
One thing we won't have to worry or debate over with Meghan possibly attending a state banquet and that is if she's gotten her RFO yet. I think the big question will be if she wears a tiara or not. She may not wear one leaving it to be that the first time she does wear a royal tiara is at her wedding.

I had to laugh at the headlines though stating that Meghan could replace Kate. They fail to allude to the fact that at the time of this state banquet, Kate could be very busy doing something else that prevents her from attending. I can just picture Kate ready to go into labor at the state dinner and standing up and going "Do you deliver?" OK. Bad joke. I'm in a silly mood.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-27-2018, 11:58 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: jersey shore, United States
Posts: 946
I don’t think Meghan would wear a tiara attending a state banquet prior to her wedding, maybe big diamond barrettes....love the joke!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-28-2018, 12:03 AM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,330
I doubt she will be wearing a tiara before her wedding. I assume she will do like Princess Sofia did when she was engaged and had to attend a tiara banquet. She didn't wear one. This happens right before the wedding. They wouldn't do that and I don't really blame them. Her tiara reveal should absolutely be her wedding.

It is smart that Meghan will be involved in all these events so quickly. She really getting a feel for all types of engagements of sorts well before the wedding. I am sure her head is swimming.

And yes Kate will likely be busy giving birth. Even if she still pregnant during this, she will be heavily pregnant and I can't imagine they would want to risk anything.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-28-2018, 01:40 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I doubt she will be wearing a tiara before her wedding. I assume she will do like Princess Sofia did when she was engaged and had to attend a tiara banquet. She didn't wear one. This happens right before the wedding. They wouldn't do that and I don't really blame them. Her tiara reveal should absolutely be her wedding.

It is smart that Meghan will be involved in all these events so quickly. She really getting a feel for all types of engagements of sorts well before the wedding. I am sure her head is swimming.

And yes Kate will likely be busy giving birth. Even if she still pregnant during this, she will be heavily pregnant and I can't imagine they would want to risk anything.
I think it speaks to the Queen's (and likely Philip and Charles and all the major royal players) impression of Meghan and their trust regarding her professional ability to handle herself in the limelight with movers and shakers. If true, this is certainly about as positive an indication of Meghan's welcome and approval in the BRF as we could get, not so?
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-28-2018, 02:47 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,558
I don't think William should miss the birth of his third child for any Commonwealth events but he could very easily attend if Kate is not in labour even late on in her pregnancy. At the end of the day Kate is going to be sitting there alone and William would be able to get to the hospital quickly if needed.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-28-2018, 04:15 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 5,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I don't think William should miss the birth of his third child for any Commonwealth events but he could very easily attend if Kate is not in labour even late on in her pregnancy. At the end of the day Kate is going to be sitting there alone and William would be able to get to the hospital quickly if needed.
Prince William never attended Commonwealth Heads of Government meetings. The Queen always took that as her personal responsibility and, in recent years, she delegated it to Charles due to the increasing inconvenience for an older person of making long trips. I don't see why she would want William to get involved at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-28-2018, 04:29 PM
xenobia's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Near the artic circle, Sweden
Posts: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Prince William never attended Commonwealth Heads of Government meetings. The Queen always took that as her personal responsibility and, in recent years, she delegated it to Charles due to the increasing inconvenience for an older person of making long trips. I don't see why she would want William to get involved at this point.
Why should William get involved? Because the Queen is a very realistic person and looks to the future. She will probably not personally attend any other Commonwealth Head meetings in the future. And just like she delegates to Charles, this is a good opportunity for Charles to let William (and perhaps also Harry) be included in some way. Since the meeting is in London, it won't be all or nothing. They can attend some of if, meet up with key figures and get a taste of the whole thing.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-28-2018, 06:19 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 13,980
From what I've seen in the past with the BRF and events, no matter what happens, they've got it covered for all contingencies. The only "if" is the birth of the third Cambridge child which would take precedence over everything else for William and Kate.

From what I understand too is that the royal family isn't involved in all the proceedings of CHOMG.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-01-2018, 12:30 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,330
Schedule of events for CHOGM 2018

https://twitter.com/_mio/status/959115322744889345
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-10-2018, 07:33 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,633
Th Royal Family #CHOGM2018 Schedules-
https://mobile.twitter.com/MajestyMa...59235488739329
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Heads Together Campaign: Activities from April 2016 JessRulz British Royals 365 10-08-2019 12:55 PM
The Commonwealth and Commonwealth Realms post Elizabeth Keystone British Royals 104 04-08-2014 04:51 PM




Popular Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor aristocracy belgian royal belgian royal family bracelets castles charles of wales countess of wessex crown crown prince hussein crown prince hussein's future wife crusades current events danish royalty denmark discussão duchess of cambridge duchess of sussex duke & duchess of cambridge; duke of sussex dutch royal family felipe vi foundation french revolution friendly city future genealogy general news germany greece headship jerusalem kiko king salman lady louise mountbatten-windsor lithuania lithuanian palaces meghan markle memoir monaco christening monaco history monaco royal monarchism monogram mountbatten netflix nobel 2019 nobel prize official visit pakistan prince harry prince peter princess margaret princess royal rania of jordan rown royal children royal tour russian imperial family saudi arabia savoy saxony south africa spain spanish history state visit state visit to denmark sweden swedish royalty trump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:21 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises
×