Civilian Career Ideas for British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are Canada and Australia so important?

Well because of the growing republican feeling. Having a permanent member of the RF there might be beneficial to the monarchist faction.

BeatrixFan said:
Well anybody can be an ambassador if they have a silver tongue and know what fork to use.

Well, he sures has the "silver spoon".:D

I don't think Ambassador Harry would be a good fit. Harry is a little too impulsive.

I think he should go and do some serious work at the orphanages in Lesotho. Let him exert himself building schools and dormitories, and playing with the kids. And from what I've seen, he is a good speaker. He would probably be a wonderful fundraiser for those kinds of endeavors.

Yes but working in Lesotho doesn't bring in the money or provide a solid career. It worked for Princess Anne because she was the daughter of the Queen and she's a woman. But Harry is supposed to do something a little more even though work in Lesotho will be rewarding for the people there. And how long before the work becomes political?

As an Aussie I can assure you that there is no way Harry would be accepted as the Govenor-General down here.

We wouldn't accept his father when the republican faction was much smaller but now that it represents the majority of Australians (yes I know the result of the referendum but that result reflected far more dissatisfaction with the way the President was to be chosen and not on the straight issue of whether we should become a republic as well as the fact that the idea didn't have bipartisan support - our present PM is an avowed Monarchist but the next PM, whether Labor or Liberal will be a republican).

It would be the final straw.

The monarchists are now able to argue that our effective Head of State - i.e. the person who does the actual work - is an Aussie. To put a Brit in that position would push us to a republic even faster than we are moving now.

Aussies very much want one of their own in the top job not some foreign prince. As much as I am a monarchist I certainly wouldn't want someone -who hasn't a commitment to this country in the job of Govenor-General.

Practically speaking, how much money does Harry have to "make"? The Queen Mother and Diana left him plenty, and I'm sure the PoW will make provisions for him too.

Well yes but that doesn't mean he can sit around doing Bo Diddley. That won't wash these days. He's got to have something positive to do, then again he'll be damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I agree entirely, BeatrixFan. Harry can't be allowed to become the male version of Princess Margaret. It's just not healthy for an adult to have no occupation.

Well, I didn't mind Princess Margaret. She was a glamour puss and a daughter of her time. She did do her Royal duties remarkably well and it's sad that the press decided to paint her as boozy Maggie. It's hypocritical I know but it was alright for Princess Margaret, it won't be for Harry. IMO of course.

And how long before the work becomes political?
What is the political situation in that part of Africa? How will it effect Harry's work? What is a Govenor-General, is that like a president?

It's hypocritical I know but it was alright for Princess Margaret, it won't be for Harry. IMO of course.
Princess Margaret was born in a different era, Harry has to live with the modern expectations of what a royal IS and IS NOT in today's society.

Last edited:
iowabelle said:
I agree entirely, BeatrixFan. Harry can't be allowed to become the male version of Princess Margaret. It's just not healthy for an adult to have no occupation.
You really don't have to have an occupation to be happy, healthy or worthwhile. :bang:

What is the political situation in that part of Africa? How will it effect Harry's work?
Well we all know that Africa's poverty problem is as a result of corrupt politicians and other political problems. Now Harry can't possibly tackle that sort of issue so all he can do is get his hands dirty and I don't see a Prince doing that. The minute he criticised African politicians, he'd be ripped to shreds by the left wingers.

iowabelle said:
It's just not healthy for an adult to have no occupation.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. There are some people who have no real "job" to speak of, yet they lead fulfilling and enriched lives regardless. I agree that Harry should find a career that is meaningful to him, but not because he'd be viewed as "unhealthy" otherwise.

cowarth said:
What is a Govenor-General, is that like a president?

The Governor-General is the representative of the Queen in a realm in which she is not resident. The Governor-General exercises nearly all of the functions of the sovereign, and is expected, like the monarch, to remain entirely neutral. Some of the functions exercised include investitures, the appointment of a Prime Minister, opening Parliament, and attending various civic functions within the realm. They are not like a president in the style of the United States, but have many similarities to presidents in republics with a parliamentary system. As the direct personal representative of the sovereign, the Governor-General takes precedence over everyone but the sovereign, even the royal family. (The current sovereign's spouse is typically accorded the same precedence as the sovereign, but this does not extend to spouses of former sovereigns. The Governor General of Canada was seated in the place of honour in a carriage procession in Canada while with the Queen Mother, and the Governor General's standard flew from the landau.)

chrissy57 said:
As an Aussie I can assure you that there is no way Harry would be accepted as the Govenor-General down here.

We wouldn't accept his father when the republican faction was much smaller but now that it represents the majority of Australians (yes I know the result of the referendum but that result reflected far more dissatisfaction with the way the President was to be chosen and not on the straight issue of whether we should become a republic as well as the fact that the idea didn't have bipartisan support - our present PM is an avowed Monarchist but the next PM, whether Labor or Liberal will be a republican).

It would be the final straw.

The monarchists are now able to argue that our effective Head of State - i.e. the person who does the actual work - is an Aussie. To put a Brit in that position would push us to a republic even faster than we are moving now.

Aussies very much want one of their own in the top job not some foreign prince. As much as I am a monarchist I certainly wouldn't want someone -who hasn't a commitment to this country in the job of Govenor-General.

I wouldn't want Harry as our Governor-General. Quite apart from the fact he's not Australian - which is an essential pre-requisite as far as I am concerned - he's far, far too young.

The people we have as Governors-General are senior members of their professions, who have long and distinguished careers. We wouldn't even consider a 22 year old Australian as our Governor-General and because of the age factor I would be very surprised if any Commonwealth country would accept Harry as G-G. I don't think that role is an option for him.

With a political career out of the question, limited charity options in Africa, what career can Harry have that is meaningful?

The traditional role for male royals who haven't entered the armed services has been a civil service job in the Foreign Office, but that does tend to require a university education, which he doesn't have.

Elspeth said:
The traditional role for male royals who haven't entered the armed services has been a civil service job in the Foreign Office, but that does tend to require a university education, which he doesn't have.

Keeping this in mind, if he finds a job in the Foreign Office that he likes, or feels he would excel in, he might decide to go back to school. A lot of people do that anyway.

One thing I should have said in my earlier post is that I am not attempting to speak for all Australians - only those of my acquaintance with whom I have discussed the matter and know their opinions as expressed to me - and myself of course.

Even if Harry was 20/30/40 years older, fully experienced in diplomatic and political affairs etc, I still wouldn't want him as our GG because he isn't an Australian.

Where would Harry go in the civil service?

cowarth said:
Where would Harry go in the civil service?

I really couldn't picture Harry in the civil service - stuck in an office all day is just not Harry.

He could do some sort of park ranger job I suppose.

Whatever he does, assuming he even really considers leaving the army, he will need to be doing things outside using his apparent love of things physical rather than things mental.

He could be a camp counselor, he loves children.

^Please Beatrix, we all know you're no good at being a good boy.

cowarth said:
He could be a camp counselor, he loves children.

A camp counselor is something I see a teenage boy doing over the summer to make some money between semesters in high school......not the 2nd son of the future King.

I give up, I have no idea what matches both the princes interests and abilities for a future career, besides being in the army, which he may shortly be resigning his commission.

Sister Morphine said:
I'm sorry, but I disagree. There are some people who have no real "job" to speak of, yet they lead fulfilling and enriched lives regardless. I agree that Harry should find a career that is meaningful to him, but not because he'd be viewed as "unhealthy" otherwise.

I guess what I mean is that the young man needs interests other than partying and drinking. I would be quite happy for him if he could devote himself to art or even polo, if that were his main interest (and he wouldn't have to be the best in the world). I don't think Harry would be particularly happy with a desk job or getting a university degree, but he needs an avocation/occupation, preferably one that burns up some of his energy.

Teach disadvantaged kids how to play rugby or polo.

cowarth said:
Teach disadvantaged kids how to play rugby or polo.

That's actually quite a good idea. It brought to mind Riding for the Disabled and even The Prince's Trust. That sort of project would combine Harry's love of outdoorsy activities with really worthwhile charitable and social purposes. It would be something that's useful to society but not party-political. He doesn't need tertiary qualifications and his youth is no obstacle. He could employ or engage the assistance of other people to take care of the organisational and financial matters he can't handle. His experience in the military would probably be useful, too.

Involvement in this sort of project would be a suitable primary occupation yet provide the flexibility he will need to be able to perform Royal duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom