The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Nobility

Why are Canada and Australia so important?

Old 05-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Well because of the growing republican feeling. Having a permanent member of the RF there might be beneficial to the monarchist faction.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Well anybody can be an ambassador if they have a silver tongue and know what fork to use.
Well, he sures has the "silver spoon".
Old 05-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I don't think Ambassador Harry would be a good fit. Harry is a little too impulsive.

I think he should go and do some serious work at the orphanages in Lesotho. Let him exert himself building schools and dormitories, and playing with the kids. And from what I've seen, he is a good speaker. He would probably be a wonderful fundraiser for those kinds of endeavors.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:33 PM

Yes but working in Lesotho doesn't bring in the money or provide a solid career. It worked for Princess Anne because she was the daughter of the Queen and she's a woman. But Harry is supposed to do something a little more even though work in Lesotho will be rewarding for the people there. And how long before the work becomes political?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Majesty

As an Aussie I can assure you that there is no way Harry would be accepted as the Govenor-General down here.

We wouldn't accept his father when the republican faction was much smaller but now that it represents the majority of Australians (yes I know the result of the referendum but that result reflected far more dissatisfaction with the way the President was to be chosen and not on the straight issue of whether we should become a republic as well as the fact that the idea didn't have bipartisan support - our present PM is an avowed Monarchist but the next PM, whether Labor or Liberal will be a republican).

It would be the final straw.

The monarchists are now able to argue that our effective Head of State - i.e. the person who does the actual work - is an Aussie. To put a Brit in that position would push us to a republic even faster than we are moving now.

Aussies very much want one of their own in the top job not some foreign prince. As much as I am a monarchist I certainly wouldn't want someone -who hasn't a commitment to this country in the job of Govenor-General.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Royal Highness

Practically speaking, how much money does Harry have to "make"? The Queen Mother and Diana left him plenty, and I'm sure the PoW will make provisions for him too.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:07 PM

Well yes but that doesn't mean he can sit around doing Bo Diddley. That won't wash these days. He's got to have something positive to do, then again he'll be damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Royal Highness

I agree entirely, BeatrixFan. Harry can't be allowed to become the male version of Princess Margaret. It's just not healthy for an adult to have no occupation.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:12 PM

Well, I didn't mind Princess Margaret. She was a glamour puss and a daughter of her time. She did do her Royal duties remarkably well and it's sad that the press decided to paint her as boozy Maggie. It's hypocritical I know but it was alright for Princess Margaret, it won't be for Harry. IMO of course.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
And how long before the work becomes political?
What is the political situation in that part of Africa? How will it effect Harry's work? What is a Govenor-General, is that like a president?

Quote:
It's hypocritical I know but it was alright for Princess Margaret, it won't be for Harry. IMO of course.
Princess Margaret was born in a different era, Harry has to live with the modern expectations of what a royal IS and IS NOT in today's society.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
I agree entirely, BeatrixFan. Harry can't be allowed to become the male version of Princess Margaret. It's just not healthy for an adult to have no occupation.
You really don't have to have an occupation to be happy, healthy or worthwhile.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
What is the political situation in that part of Africa? How will it effect Harry's work?
Well we all know that Africa's poverty problem is as a result of corrupt politicians and other political problems. Now Harry can't possibly tackle that sort of issue so all he can do is get his hands dirty and I don't see a Prince doing that. The minute he criticised African politicians, he'd be ripped to shreds by the left wingers.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
It's just not healthy for an adult to have no occupation.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. There are some people who have no real "job" to speak of, yet they lead fulfilling and enriched lives regardless. I agree that Harry should find a career that is meaningful to him, but not because he'd be viewed as "unhealthy" otherwise.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowarth
What is a Govenor-General, is that like a president?
The Governor-General is the representative of the Queen in a realm in which she is not resident. The Governor-General exercises nearly all of the functions of the sovereign, and is expected, like the monarch, to remain entirely neutral. Some of the functions exercised include investitures, the appointment of a Prime Minister, opening Parliament, and attending various civic functions within the realm. They are not like a president in the style of the United States, but have many similarities to presidents in republics with a parliamentary system. As the direct personal representative of the sovereign, the Governor-General takes precedence over everyone but the sovereign, even the royal family. (The current sovereign's spouse is typically accorded the same precedence as the sovereign, but this does not extend to spouses of former sovereigns. The Governor General of Canada was seated in the place of honour in a carriage procession in Canada while with the Queen Mother, and the Governor General's standard flew from the landau.)
Old 05-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
As an Aussie I can assure you that there is no way Harry would be accepted as the Govenor-General down here.

We wouldn't accept his father when the republican faction was much smaller but now that it represents the majority of Australians (yes I know the result of the referendum but that result reflected far more dissatisfaction with the way the President was to be chosen and not on the straight issue of whether we should become a republic as well as the fact that the idea didn't have bipartisan support - our present PM is an avowed Monarchist but the next PM, whether Labor or Liberal will be a republican).

It would be the final straw.

The monarchists are now able to argue that our effective Head of State - i.e. the person who does the actual work - is an Aussie. To put a Brit in that position would push us to a republic even faster than we are moving now.

Aussies very much want one of their own in the top job not some foreign prince. As much as I am a monarchist I certainly wouldn't want someone -who hasn't a commitment to this country in the job of Govenor-General.
I wouldn't want Harry as our Governor-General. Quite apart from the fact he's not Australian - which is an essential pre-requisite as far as I am concerned - he's far, far too young.

The people we have as Governors-General are senior members of their professions, who have long and distinguished careers. We wouldn't even consider a 22 year old Australian as our Governor-General and because of the age factor I would be very surprised if any Commonwealth country would accept Harry as G-G. I don't think that role is an option for him.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Nobility

With a political career out of the question, limited charity options in Africa, what career can Harry have that is meaningful?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

The traditional role for male royals who haven't entered the armed services has been a civil service job in the Foreign Office, but that does tend to require a university education, which he doesn't have.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
The traditional role for male royals who haven't entered the armed services has been a civil service job in the Foreign Office, but that does tend to require a university education, which he doesn't have.

Keeping this in mind, if he finds a job in the Foreign Office that he likes, or feels he would excel in, he might decide to go back to school. A lot of people do that anyway.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-25-2007, 03:36 AM
Majesty

One thing I should have said in my earlier post is that I am not attempting to speak for all Australians - only those of my acquaintance with whom I have discussed the matter and know their opinions as expressed to me - and myself of course.

Even if Harry was 20/30/40 years older, fully experienced in diplomatic and political affairs etc, I still wouldn't want him as our GG because he isn't an Australian.

Tags
british royal family, career