The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Courtier

I think they will be reasonably glad with the auction results. And bear in mind that quite a few items didn't sell (the bids were lower than the reserve price), so £2 million is for the sold-items only.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Why were the earrings Princess MC received from the Duchess of Windsor unsold ??

Old 11-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Good question, I was wondering that myself....I can imagine them not getting the estimated bid, as almost all the other jewelry got 3 times their estimated value.

Maybe it was pulled out by the Princess MC for some reason?
Old 11-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Courtier

No, Princess Michael didn't pull out any items from the auction.

Actually, a lot of interesting lots weren't sold. For example, the George VI chair and footstool’s reserve price was £15,000 but the highest bid was about £8,000. Similarly, the Duchess of Windsor's earrings' reserve price was £50,000 but the highest bid was around £30,000. Those items relied heavily on their historical connections, not actual value.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Wow no one purchased the Duchess of Windsors earrings. Interesting....especially as per her will she only gave the Kent's any jewels upon her death.

Now do they have to pay any special tax on this?

Old 11-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

To be entirely honest, I found the earrings quite ugly and tasteless, I may be the only one... However, nevertheless I'm wondering too why they haven't been sold as they once belonged the Duchess of Windsor.
The results of the auction are less than I expected (maybe it's just not the best idea to start such an auction during the economy crisis?), but still a good help for a family with financial problems as it the Kent branch seems to be.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Sometimes you have to strike when the iron is hot.

When the late Duchess's items were on auction, the world economy was good. People could purchase things simply for nostalgia. Furthermore, she had just died what two years prior....so name recognition was wild. Nowadays, the only people who have heard of the Windsor are those from the geneartions that grew up with the Abdication and/or reading about their expoits in the paper and frankly us, the royalty watchers.

Most likely if you asked a 20 to 30 year old on ANY street (London, New York, Rome, Paris, Berlin, Moscow, etc) unless they are into royalty they don't know who the Duke and Duchess of Windsor are.

My only concern regarding this auction, is God forbid what happens when the Duke of Kent dies. The death tax might take up whatever they have left. Thank goodness, the next generation has jobs.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
Wow no one purchased the Duchess of Windsors earrings. Interesting....especially as per her will she only gave the Kent's any jewels upon her death.
Now do they have to pay any special tax on this?
This is Britain we're talking about: of course there are taxes.

First of all, there is the commission paid to the auction house (which is included in the final selling prices): the rates are 25% (excluding tax) of the first £15,000, 20% (excluding tax) for up to £600,000 and 12% (excluding tax) from £600,000 and up.

As for the tax itself, it is different for every item or auction. For example, if the lots are sold to public museums, galleries, the National Trust, National Arts Collections and similar institutions (pre-eminent for their national, historical, scientific or artistic interest), the Government offers a tax inducement, usually equivalent to around 25% of the tax that would have otherwise been paid.
Then there is also the location of the sale: for example, places like Geneva or New York are considered tax-privileged locations, whereas London is tax hell.
In normal cases, taxation works similar to ordinary sales (which means, different taxes for works of art, jewellery, different rates for items sold at different prices, locations, etc).

Considering the nature of the items sold at the Christie’s, the selling prices of each individual item and the location, I’d say the Kents will never see about 40-45% of the £2.1 million (after paying all the taxes and Christie's commission). Still £1.3 isn't too bad as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
My only concern regarding this auction, is God forbid what happens when the Duke of Kent dies. The death tax might take up whatever they have left. Thank goodness, the next generation has jobs.
If such unfortunate event were to take place, they would need a couple of more auctions to cover the DT. Don't forget that most of Kents' assets are not in currency but in land, properties, jewellery, etc: in order to pay the DT, they'd have to sell quite a few family heirlooms - 40% of the total estate value would be a burden for anyone.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

While you and I do not . I admire your empathy with the Royals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Sometimes you have to strike when the iron is hot.

When the late Duchess's items were on auction, the world economy was good. People could purchase things simply for nostalgia. Furthermore, she had just died what two years prior....so name recognition was wild. Nowadays, the only people who have heard of the Windsor are those from the geneartions that grew up with the Abdication and/or reading about their expoits in the paper and frankly us, the royalty watchers.

Most likely if you asked a 20 to 30 year old on ANY street (London, New York, Rome, Paris, Berlin, Moscow, etc) unless they are into royalty they don't know who the Duke and Duchess of Windsor are.

My only concern regarding this auction, is God forbid what happens when the Duke of Kent dies. The death tax might take up whatever they have left.
Quote:
Thank goodness, the next generation has jobs
Old 11-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Administrator

My empathy is the selling of family heirlooms.

Needless to say the Kents and I are in VERY different economic circumstances. Most likely their idea of struglling is my idea of living VERY NICE. I just think its sad, that one must sell off family heirlooms to pay the Tax Man. In order to save for the next generation and pass items along, one must really make enough during one's life time to pay the taxes when you die. Its silly.

The smart thing to do IMO would be to invest it i.e. stocks or real estate. The economy will eventually rebound and its best to purchase when things are low. How is the real estate market in London? I remember 10 to 15 years ago one could buy a one bedroom condo in Georgetown for like 50K. At the height of the real estate boom, you could sell it for like 300K. I think they are going for around 150-200K now.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Courtier

Well, the recession did hit the real estate sector heavily; things were really bad (for the sellers) about a year ago – prices were up to 40% even in the prime areas. However, things have improved slightly in the last 5-6 months.

Investing in land is always a wise decision, however the problem is that if your other assets are invested in properties or valuables and you have little ‘cash’, then in order to pay for the DT, the beneficiaries will still have to sell. Which means, if you are going to leave a large estate, you’d better be sure there are easily disposable assets too.

Personally I think that investing into land and works of arts and/or jewellery will still pay off in the long run, but I’m saying so from Russia, where there are no such ridiculously high taxes.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
It is so sad to see the Kents selling their family heirlooms off.
Quote:
What a shame that the family has to part with them, but if they (the items) have been sitting away in storage since the late Duchess passed (in what 1968?), maybe its not a bad thing to sell them. Hopefully, they have taken the most sentimental items for themselves.
Someone went to alot of trouble to track down the gift givers to get their reactions! Would it have been more preferable to sell them for scrap metal and get the $$ that way? What are they supposed to do with their father's coronation chair and stool? Sit in it while watching tv? Save it and use it when Prince Charles or Prince William ascends the throne?

Quote:
Marsel you raise very valid points but gifts are just that gifts. And when someone gives it you, you have the right to do with it what you see fit.

It is tacky, yes it is tacky to sell a gift or "regift" it. But what is the point of keeping stuff that you have no use for...and they just pile up.
I see nothing wrong with this - it's just like having a garage sale. A lot of people are downsizing their stuff. If it's useless gifts or stuff, there's no point in storing - someone is going to dispose of it at some point. My parents' basement is full of not only their stuff but things they took when their parents died and haven't gone through yet as well. Thankfully they are dealing with it now, while they are alive so it doesn't fall on us kids to do it. I'd be curoius how much money from the proceeds of the sale are actually going to charity. I suspect the sale (in this economy) was because they need the money, and the charity donation is to appease the public.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patra View Post
I thought they would make about double the originally estimated 1.25 million pounds, they should be pleased, as Im sure every bit helps the kents now!
I am not sure the Kent's in general, and Prince & Princess
Michael in particular, are as badly off as might have been suggested. They have a fair amount of capital (nearly £6m from just the sale of the house in the Cotswolds) and I am sure they were well provided for by Marina. In addition, I am sure they have made the odd pound or two in all their trapezing around Russia and Eastern Europe!!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Regarding the result of the Auction the best sold item is the painting of the Duchess d'Argyl by Laszlo - estimation 10.000-15.000 and sold 46.850 ..
At Glamis castle I saw the one of Queen Mum also painted by Laszlo, a lovely painting of a young Duchess.
Louise, Duchess d' Argyl Queen Victoria's daughter had not a happy life at all.
To pay such a lot of money for having in your dining room the painting of an old sad royal is pathetic.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

it is not about the royal but about the artist probably. Perhaps the buyer is a museum and even it is a private person, it is the work of art that matters in this case I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Regarding the result of the Auction the best sold item is the painting of the Duchess d'Argyl by Laszlo - estimation 10.000-15.000 and sold 46.850 ..
At Glamis castle I saw the one of Queen Mum also painted by Laszlo, a lovely painting of a young Duchess.
Louise, Duchess d' Argyl Queen Victoria's daughter had not a happy life at all.
Quote:
To pay such a lot of money for having in your dining room the painting of an old sad royal is pathetic
Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Susan Alicia , I don't think a Museum had that money for a minor royal but you are right about the artist who is famous.
The painting of young Victoria estimation 10.000-15.000 was sold 10.000.
But is was not a painting of Winterhalter but AFTER W.
Is this the royal was important but not the artist.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't know maria-olivia, I do no know what an After W. usually fetches, perhaps Christie's was looking for a buyer who collects everything that has to do with Victoria and who liked the style of Winterhalter and it did not happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Susan Alicia , I don't think a Museum had that money for a minor royal but you are right about the artist who is famous.
The painting of young Victoria estimation 10.000-15.000 was sold 10.000.
But is was not a painting of Winterhalter but AFTER W.
Is this the royal was important but not the artist.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
...I am sure they were well provided for by Marina.
Like many royals Princess Marina had assets (jewellery, silverware, bric-a-brac etc), but was cash poor.
It's all relative of course but royal figures often aren't as "rich" as we imagine them to be.
For example, the Duchess of Gloucester may be dripping in diamonds but her fabulous jewellery collection, worth a fortune, produces zero income.

ETA.. Getting back to Princess Marina's financial situation, when the Civil List was drawn up for the new reign in 1937 no provision was made for the widow of a King's son as at that time there were no widows of that status. The situation could have been remedied by a quick Act of Parliament but due to the war it wasn't. I've read that she refused the government pension she was entitled to as the widow of an officer and it wasn't until 1953 with the new Civil List and a bequest from Queen Mary's estate that her financial position was made secure. During the intervening period she had to sell off various assets (collectables, Fabergé) to provide for herself and her three young children.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Like many royals Princess Marina had assets (jewellery, silverware, bric-a-brac etc), but was cash poor.
It's all relative of course but royal figures often aren't as "rich" as we imagine them to be.
For example, the Duchess of Gloucester may be dripping in diamonds but her fabulous jewellery collection, worth a fortune, produces zero income.
Well at least using their share of the proceeds from the sale, Prince & Princess Michael will be able to pay their rent for a few years.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Marina did have money she inherited from The Duke when he died (mainly, the nearly 1 million pounds George V settled on each of his sons at his death), but it was limited to the income with the principal left in trust for her three children.

Queen Mary and George VI both helped her out, but she generally had a difficult time financially until her brother-in-law died and additional provision was made through the Civil List. But I doubt there was much capital left when she died in 1968.