Chelsea Flower Show 1: 2005-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I am just delighted with this flower show business. It certainly makes one feel so much better than the run of the mill "stuff" all about. And so very, very British. the queen was just lovely in that marvelous green suit with the huge diamond brooch and pearls. And all those gorgeous flowers. I am so glad I was not there. You see, I am the Black Thumb of Death (known as Black Thumb to all and sudry with shudders and horror). I can look at a rose and the poor thing will just curl up and die. I have six that in spite of my best efforts have not died, at least not yet. And when they bloom-forlorn hope-they are so heartbreakingly beautiful. Except for one. She is the iron maiden. I have pleaded, cajoled, screamed at, caressed, fertiliezd, vitamined, watered and prayed over. and the cruel weed just WILL NOT BLOOOM. Sigh. But then there is always the queen at a flowershow for consolation. Cheers.

Great photos. I am surprised Camilla and Prince Philip are so friendly

I am not as they both enjoy so many things - outdoors life in particular.

They also have a love for at least one person in common - Charles.

Philip may not have been the best of fathers in hindsight for Charles but I have absolutely no doubt that he loves Charles just as I believe Charles loves his father.

.....Charles apparently prefers Roses with perfume, rather than the varieties that smell of nothing.

Another thing about which he and I agree. IMO a rose without a fragrance is not worth growing, or putting in a vase. There are so many roses which are both beautiful and fragrant, I wonder why people bother breeding roses with no fragrance.

Given my luck I wonder why people bother with roses at all. the weed from Hell, torment unspeakable. And then the blasted beasts BLOOM and you are smitten, enchanted, bewitched and ruined. Sigh. Worse than chocolate. Cheers. PS. How on earth do the Brits manage to get such huge blooms and so many of them. here in SC Other wise known as the side porch of hell, the things get all kinds of horrors, Black Spot (shudder) among them, along with the galloping mange and God only knows what else. I never knew a leaf could turn so many ghastly colours, particularly after you have read all the books and sprayed, fertilized, watered and done 704 other sundry items and all but sacrified new born babies to the moon and the thrips appear. Good Lord deliver us.

Let's not forget the everlasting japanese beetle, Thomas. I must confess to glee in my heart when I go out with my tupperware 'mortuary' of rubbing alcohal every night to 'permanently remove' them.....works for thrips and aphids too.

Chelsea Flower Show

° ° °

We've missed you, Queen tells Aussie gardeners at Chelsea

It was a case of absence made a royal heart grow fonder when the Queen dropped by for a chat with Australian gardeners at London's famous Chelsea Flower Show.

Wes Fleming, whose Fleming's Nurseries has co-sponsored the Australian garden for six years, said the Queen was keen to know about the deadly fires which destroyed Fleming's main mature planting ground near Marysville.

"She was really interested in our recovery from the Black Saturday bushfires," he said.

"She actually said, 'We missed you last year'.

Several members of the Royal Family attended the Chelsea Flower Show in London today, May 23, 2011.

The Queen, the Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Andrew, the Earl and Countess of Wessex, Princess Michael
of Kent, Princess Beatrice, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester were among the guests of the Press and
VIP Day.

** daylife gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

Goodness..what is the Queen wearing in her hair.

Its good to see Prince Albert of Monaco out and about. Beatrice looks fabulous yet again! Not a lot of pictures of the Gloucesters...shame....

Regarding the Queen - is this a headpiece or a hairnet? :blink::lol::p Nice to see Princess Beatrice attending the Chelsea Flower show, I like the shots of her and the more I see of her, I really think she's a sweet girl. I love the lady in red of course and Prince Michael seems to have been in good mood, too. ;) What did Albert of Monaco there, btw?

Thanks for the pictures, Iceflower! :flowers:

I love Beatrice's dress! What a beautiful colour. Sophie also looks beautiful, the design on the dress is lovely. The Queen's head piece is...interesting, yet I love it! :D

I believe there is a sample on the Monaco gardens....hence Albert's participation.

The Monaca gardens were lovely.

It does make me laugh that Prince's Andrew and Edward have inherited their father's style of walk - holding their hands behind their back. It's amusing and even more adorable that Lady Louise does it too!

I went to the Preview day of Chelsea Flower Show and the Charity 'Do' in the evening [in fact I have just returned].

We were not allowed to stay during the Royal Visit, but I went down to the Bull Ring Gate to watch the Royal Cars arrive. Although she was the other side of the gate, we got a good view of the HM and many of the other royals. I also got a good view of the Royal Family departing. Although for some reason, I did not spot Princess Michael leaving. I think that she might have stayed on for the champagne and canapes that appear at the Charity Preview, although I did not bump into her during that.

The Queen's, er, head attire appeared to be a fine hairnet with those black bows dotted on it.... a mistake if I may say so.

After the Royal Visit had been concluded we were re-admitted to the Showground for the 'Charity' part of the day. [And my, was it cold!!]

Prince Albert was at the show for some time before the Royal visit, as he was helping to promote the Monaco garden and Monagasque tourism and the Principality generally. I picked up several 'handouts' and brochures.

A bit of a silly observation [which I try not to make here] but I thought that he was looking a bit old and tired. I hope he is not doing too much.

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the observations. It is always nice to hear first-hand accounts. How odd though that you couldn't stay during the royal visit. Maybe security reasons? As for the Queen's headgear..I didn't like it either. :whistling:

The hairnet

The hairnet with bows is reappearing - it has been worn on several previous visits to Chelsea if you check out the photo websites. ...and it is still a mistake, I agree!!

That's cute! P.A. is smiling looking very relaxed & happy talking to the crowd & with his daughter. Good for him.:)

The closeness of the York family cannot be denied, I love that about them. :whistling:
Beatrice looks GREAT...I want that sheath dress!

Wonderful photos! Thanks a bunch, Ice!!

The closeness of the York family cannot be denied, I love that about them. :whistling:

Beatrice looks GREAT...I want that sheath dress!

You are so right Moonmaiden. The girls do seem to adore their parents, and enjoy spending time with them. Andrew and Sarah must be doing something right.

Is Laura Lopes for real I mean and this is IMO she always looks like she has just crawled out of bed and I just think she looks like a slob. I love P.A always so elegant and the Olilvy's are always so apparent smart but never grabbing any of the limelight. Thanks for the posts lovelyto see Sophie

Back
Top Bottom