Chelsea Flower Show 1: 2005-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:rose:The roses and the Princess Charlotte Chrysanthemum at the Chelsea Flower Show are gorgeous. Now Prince George and Princess Charlotte of Cambridge each a flower named after them.
:rose2::rose::rose::rose::rose2:

:rose:The roses and the Princess Charlotte Chrysanthemum at the Chelsea Flower Show are gorgeous. Now Prince George and Princess Charlotte of Cambridge each a flower named after them.
:rose2::rose::rose::rose::rose2:

And William and Kate have an orchid named after them 'Vanda William Catherine' ... Quite the family bouquet

Thank you to all for the lovely links.
... It was nice to see the Cambridges and Prince Harry for the first time also.
Harry has visited @ least 2 prior years as his charity Sentebal had a garden, wonder if they had one this year.

The poppies installation is superb! I'm so glad Sophie spent time there to showcase that beautiful garden combination. Lest we forget, the poppies remind us.
Clearly Kate, not Wills is a gardener! She needs to drag him out into the greens more often, JMO.
There are pix of Catherine and William closely examining the poppies as well. Catherine in one shot seemed to be looking at how they were made - perhaps we'll see her wearing one of the fabric poppies one day.
Nice to see Jack attend with Eugenie. One article said both boyfriends attended with the Yorks - but I didn't see Dave.
Prince Andrew needs to get a jacket next size up, or unbutton the one he had on, that button was hanging on for dear life.
I'm a gardner, but not a huge chrysanthemum fan, I hope we'll one day see a Princess Charlotte rose.
Lovely to see so many of the Royal family in attendance.

I didn't see Dave either. Was he really there? Or was it just Eugenie's boyfriend there?

The Queen is again the picture story in some of the front pages today:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjK0mGhXEAAV0W6.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjK7AN9XAAA4y0n.jpg

And as people can read In the Daily Fail article that I posted yesterday evening, Her Majesty was in cracking form during her time at the Chelsea Flower Show:
The Queen showed she has not lost her sense of humour aged 90, as she joked that she had been the victim of an assassination attempt.

Herb gardener Jekka McVicar told her how lily of the valley was previously used as a poison.

'It has the same properties as digitalis, [foxglove],' Miss McVicar, designer of the St John’s Hospice garden, told her.

The Queen laughed: ‘I’ve been given two bunches this week. Perhaps they want me dead!' '

Miss McVicar also gave the Queen a bunch of herbs to smell, including lemon verbena, which seemed to go down better.

'She said it was lovely,' she later said.

One of the highlights of her tour came when the Queen was photographed behind a cut-out of her own head, filled with flowers.

The striking image, filled with hydrangeas, sweet peas, alliums, freesias, roses and other flowers, was designed by florist Ming Veevers Carter for the New Covent Garden Flower Market.

'Did you take it [the image] from the stamp or the coin?' the Queen asked her. The stamp, Ms Veevers Carter replied.

'It's very nice,' she added.

Was Dave there ? i didn't see him either. I seem to recall reading that he is not liked by some members of the RF, but can't remember where I read this. Maybe he just kept out of the way of photographers , wise man !!

Was Dave there ? i didn't see him either. I seem to recall reading that he is not liked by some members of the RF, but can't remember where I read this. Maybe he just kept out of the way of photographers , wise man !!

Dave is liked by the family. He's seen with them every now and then. Not sure if he was there yesterday though.

I would imagine that all three would attend in support of their garden. I'm wondering now how much Harry will be involved with its planning as he's done this before for the Chelsea Flower Show with his Sentebale entries.

Should this mean that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will visit the Chelsea Flower Show this year?

I believe it has already been reported that they will visit the show. You will need to look at previous posts to find out the dates. I can't remember.

I believe it has already been reported that they will visit the show. You will need to look at previous posts to find out the dates. I can't remember.
From what I've read I think only Kate out of those three will be there. Among other royals ofc. But I might be wrong.

The Duchess of Cambridge along with other royals including HM will be at RCFS tomorrow.

The CFS is one of those events when quite a few of the family turn out on the first day. The Queen and Philip and a range of others visit. The CC will list all those who do attend - even those with no photographic evidence to support their visit - on the day after the attendance.

At the moment the Future Engagements list The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh, The Duchess of Cambridge, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra as attendees on the 22nd May but no one else. If Kate is listed alone that would suggest strongly that neither William nor Harry are going to attend as normally if one is listed in the FE as attending something then the others don't attend or the FE lists all of them up front. The FE, of course, rarely lists any Wales or York branch events so when it does it is pretty accurate.

The only listed engagement for William this week is the FA Cup Final this coming Saturday (27th May) while Harry has nothing listed. Interestingly for this cricket follower it is Charles who is listed (one of the rare times he has an entry in the FE) as launching the start of the ICC Champions Trophy tournament. As it is starting at The Oval that isn't a huge surprise. Charles is a cricket fan and owns The Oval cricket ground (at the moment - in time it will belong to William and then George as it is part of the Duchy of Cornwall estate and the home team - Surrey - have the Princes of Wales feathers as their emblem).

Last edited:
Is Jack with Eugenie at the Flower Show? I think it is him walking with her in the photo with Beatrice and Andrew.
If I remember correctly he attended with her last year.

Is Jack with Eugenie at the Flower Show? I think it is him walking with her in the photo with Beatrice and Andrew.
If I remember correctly he attended with her last year.

Yes, the couple is together at the event this year too.

I'm home with a cold, so I decided to take a two day break from my self imposed ban here.

Queen discovers renewed love of gardening at 91
The Queen has discovered a renewed interest in gardening, it has emerged, proving that even at the age of 91, it is never too late to take up a new hobby.

The monarch, who toured the Chelsea Flower Show on Monday alongside the Duke of Edinburgh, was inspired by a garden restoration project at Windsor and has developed an impressive knowledge about plants.

She has taken such an interest in the regeneration of the gardens at Frogmore House that for her 90th birthday last year, her friends gave her plants for the new beds.

And as a result of her new passion, the Queen was said to have been unusually animated while visiting the world famous flower show.

Robert Hillier, chairman of Hillier Nurseries, one of the country’s leading horticultural suppliers, has met the Queen on several occasions but revealed that he was taken aback by her sudden interest and in depth knowledge of the subject.

He said: “She has never shown her knowledge before. We have met many times but suddenly she is so interested in plants and planting.

“She is really thrilled with the way Frogmore is developing. She has now got more ambitious and wants to do a lot more.

“She obviously enjoys going to Chelsea, but in the past she has not been so animated. She has got really into gardening. It’s never too late!”

Lady Elizabeth Anson, who has been overseeing the project, said: “Her knowledge of plants of phenomenal – and she knows the Latin names.”

Frogmore, a Georgian house set in 35 acres inside the Home Park of Windsor Castle, is bursting with tulip trees, redwoods and wisteria. The grounds were designed as an escape for Queen Charlotte, the green-fingered wife of George III, and are rarely open to the public.

Such is the Queen’s love of its lawns, that it has been claimed the five-strong gardening team are not allowed to remove a single tree or shrub without her permission.

As the monarch toured the flower show, it emerged that her knowledge even extended to earwigs, recalling how gardeners used to trap earwigs with upturned flower pots on top of tomato canes.

“‘I do remember that,” she said. “And the children had to go out and empty them.”

She also revealed that, despite having been an ardent listener of Sir Terry Wogan's BBC Radio 2 breakfast show, she now tunes in to his successor, Chris Evans.

The Queen met the DJ as she toured his Taste Garden and told him he was on her radio on Monday morning.

He said: "She said 'I was listening to you this morning', because it was the Chelsea flower show."

"She loved the garden, she was here for a while.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wiehyRLYHs

“To highlight the benefits of the great outdoors and inspire children, families and communities to get back to nature, The Duchess of Cambridge, the Royal Horticultural Society and landscape architects Davies White have today announced that they will design and build the 2019 RHS Garden at the Chelsea Flower Show”

Read more: The Duchess Of Cambridge to Showcase ‘Back To Nature’ Garden At Chelsea Flower Show

“Continuing the collaboration and to engage even wider audiences, The Duchess of Cambridge and Davies White will be co-designing two further RHS Gardens, maintaining many of elements from the Garden at Chelsea, at RHS Hampton Court Palace Garden Festival (2-7 July 2019) and RHS Garden Wisley in Surrey, which will open in the autumn later this year.”

Via RHS Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: eya
Back
Top Bottom