The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-31-2005, 05:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
The 1951 visit Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh made to Washington D.C. was a short side-trip during their extended visit to Canada.
One of my favorite stories results from a press/photography session they attended in Washington which was quite different from what they had experienced at home, with American photographers not shy at all about yelling "Hey, Princess", etc.

On their return to Canada they spent a week-end off at a lodge. Someone there witnessed the Princess come out of the lodge, and upon seeing her husband near-by, whipped her camera to her eye and shouted in an American accent, "Hey, you there! Hey, Duke! Look this way a sec. That's it! Thanks alot!"
That is a cute story. :)

Thank you for that one.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Courtier

Gerald Ford once talked about some of his White House memories and told this story. During their 1976 visit to the White House, the Fords took Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip up to the private quarters before a state dinner.

"We got on the elevator," recalled Ford. "It goes up, gets to the second floor, the door opens, and there is our son Jack standing with his shirt off, and he says, `Oh, I'm trying to find my dress shirt and studs.' Betty apologized. The Queen said, `Don't worry, we have one just like him.' "

Old 10-31-2005, 07:03 PM
Royal Highness

LOL!!!

That is hysterical. It shows HM has a wonderful sense of humor. Poor Jack Ford..
Old 10-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Courtier

Totally agree Lady M,

One thing I find so unfortunate in nowdays is that people think the Queen has no sense of humour and is as plain as a piece of carboard which couldnt be further from the truth.

Her wickedly dry sense of humour exceeds the redciculous at times & her gift as a mimic, priceless!

"MII"
Old 11-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Gerald Ford once talked about some of his White House memories and told this story. During their 1976 visit to the White House, the Fords took Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip up to the private quarters before a state dinner.

"We got on the elevator," recalled Ford. "It goes up, gets to the second floor, the door opens, and there is our son Jack standing with his shirt off, and he says, `Oh, I'm trying to find my dress shirt and studs.' Betty apologized. The Queen said, `Don't worry, we have one just like him.' "
LOL, I wonder if she was talking about Andrew!
Old 11-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
LOL, I wonder if she was talking about Andrew!
Yes, Andrew is the one who came to my mind too...he would have been 16 at the time.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Royal Highness

He was the more devious...in a sexy way, of the three boys, so I could picture him being the one HM referred to.

He is still so handsome as he is maturing in years......sigh...
Old 11-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Oh yes, ladies. Andrew was always my favorite royal. Only a couple years older than me and I let Sarah get him!
Old 11-04-2005, 11:13 PM
Royal Highness

He was drop dead gorgeous in his pics from the early 80's.....I know...we could hope, huh, ysbel?
Old 11-05-2005, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Is there some connection between Prince Andrew and the President of the US (see thread title)? :)
How easily the ladies are diverted!
Old 11-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Is there some connection between Prince Andrew and the President of the US (see thread title)? :)
Very well then, Warren, here you go (from Corbis):

Old 11-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Well, Warren, I can see how we can become easily diverted when it comes to Prince Andrew!
Old 11-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Royal Highness

Oops...sorry guys....I was one of the gulity ones with the diversion.

Anyway, an interesting piece of trivia. The desk used in the oval office is actually made from timber from the HMS Resolute.

Americans found the ship abandonded when it struck a berg and repaired it and sent it back to England. Queen Victoria was so gratified, she had some of the timber made into a desk and sent to President Hayes, where it has been used ever since as the desk of the president.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Yes, Andrew is the one who came to my mind too...he would have been 16 at the time.
In 1976 Jack Ford would have been 24 could the Queen have been talking about Prince Charles?
At the time of that visit by the Queen to the US would Prince Charles have been out of the Royal Navy?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Commoner

The White Vs The Royal Residences

Which is more grand, expensive and impressive, The White House or The Royal residenses of the UK or the World? and what Palace/Castle best humbles the white house?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Courtier

I think a better comparison still, would be royal residences also outside Britain.

The Royal Palace in Brussels, Drottingholm Palace, the Royal Palace of Madrid, Amalienborg Slot, the Palais Grand Ducal etc.

My guess would be that if they (the presidents) were in awe, they would no doubt keep it to themselves or at least be very discreet.

"MII"
Old 12-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane
and what Palace/Castle best humbles the white house?
With no direspect intended whatsoever, I believe that almost any royal residence world wide could humble the white house.

"MII"
Old 12-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Serene Highness

I think this might be comparing Apples and Peas! The White House was designed to be "a house of the people" and is still referred to as such. It was deliberately designed as a "modest" space while being appropriate to the station of a President. And although it was completely gutted and renovated in the 1940's - 50"s it is still not really a "grand" residence by comparison with European palaces -- but then it was built in an era when our forefathers did not want an association with Kings. It is a beautiful house, of that there is no doubt, but a comparison with European palaces, of which many were designed to show money and power in an age when that was necessary, in part for a show of "strength and might", is not an apt comparison in my opinion.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:20 AM
Commoner

The royal palaces I saw in Europe are much more elaborate than the White House, and usually much larger. On the island of Oahu in Hawaii, there is lovely small royal palace, the only one in the USA....The White House is more elaborate and larger than Iolani Palace. But Iolani Palace is quite pretty. Here is a link.
I am sorry, the link did not come through. You can view pictures of Iolani Palace at www.iolanipalace.org
Happy New Year to everyone.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane
Which is more grand, expensive and impressive, The White House or The Royal residenses of the UK or the World? and what Palace/Castle best humbles the white house?
Well I think the White House looks newer lol. I don't know I think The Royal residenses just seem more grand to me. I think the Versailles and the Winter Palace would probably outshine the White House too.

Tags
british monarchs, bush, kennedy, nixon, obama, queen elizabeth ii, united states