The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Blue Butler View Post
The new website is quite messy right now for me. I think it'll take some time until I'll get used to it.

Anyway, I read the section Succession (https://www.royal.uk/succession) and I might have a strange question: Why they included only 16 people in the list? I know that placing all of them is almost physically impossible, but I thought they would include all Queen's great grandchildren (Mia is missing) and her cousins and other relatives that belongs officialy to the Royal Family.

I mean, when I saw it I thought that they finally reduce their line of succession and I missed it

They haven't reduced the succession. I think for the purposes of the website they just decided on an arbitrary cut off of people they were going to list and that cut off was the last of the Queen's grandchildren. It doesn't really matter because the chances of anyone lower than Charlotte succeeding are pretty remote.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Blue Butler View Post
The new website is quite messy right now for me. I think it'll take some time until I'll get used to it.

Anyway, I read the section Succession (https://www.royal.uk/succession) and I might have a strange question: Why they included only 16 people in the list? I know that placing all of them is almost physically impossible, but I thought they would include all Queen's great grandchildren (Mia is missing) and her cousins and other relatives that belongs officialy to the Royal Family.

I mean, when I saw it I thought that they finally reduce their line of succession and I missed it
The Olde website also only went back 16 levels - so no change... http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRo.../Overview.aspx
Lat I checked, Wikipedia had a nice deep list of succession.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

This is an interesting situation:

The CC on the new version has some days that are missing from the old site and vice versa e.g. 11th April in on the new but isn't on the old but the 12th is up on the old but not the new.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

It seems like the Cambridge's and Prince Harry's info is now switching from the Prince of Wales website to the new royal family website. I guess Charles's website will just be for him and Camilla now.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-14-2016, 01:18 AM
Commoner

I was reading the old British Monarchy website page by page. I want to do that for the new one, now that the old one has been taken down. Any suggestions? There are no menus to go through item by item and I don't see a site map. This is supposed to be more user friendly? Sorry but to me it seems anything but! I don't see any logical arrangement of things at all.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Other than the CC I have no intention of going anywhere near the new site as it is a total mish-mash of impossible to find garbage.

I showed it to the IT guys at school and their comments included:

the sort of site a business uses when it really doesn't want people to find out what they are really doing

the sort of site created by a student who is going to fail any site design course in 2016

the sort of site that was being taught in computer courses about 5 years ago

I also asked them about the development of out new school site and should we follow something similar and they laughed. If we wanted people to find nothing we would consider a site like this but not if we are in the business of connecting with the real world and want to communicate with people. They believe that the old site needed a refresh but not this mish-mash of stuff that it is impossible to navigate.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Other than the CC I have no intention of going anywhere near the new site as it is a total mish-mash of impossible to find garbage.

the sort of site a business uses when it really doesn't want people to find out what they are really doing

the sort of site created by a student who is going to fail any site design course in 2016

I also asked them about the development of out new school site and should we follow something similar and they laughed. If we wanted people to find nothing we would consider a site like this but not if we are in the business of connecting with the real world and want to communicate with people. They believe that the old site needed a refresh but not this mish-mash of stuff that it is impossible to navigate.
I don't understand what you and your IT guys at school mean with that, and I'm pretty sure that the IT people who created this site know what they are doing.

1: You go into the site and then you see a wonderful picture of our smiling Queen.

2: Then you go down and the newest news pops up.

3: Then you can go to the menu (top right) where you get 6 main choices:
News and events
The Royal Family
The Commonwealth
Art and residences
History and traditions
Working for us

You have the links to the Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube accounts at the bottom left.

Then you have 6 choices at the bottom right:
Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Media Centre - About this site - Cymraeg - Gidhlig.

4: You can go to the Media Centre where you get 6 choices:
Media information and enquiries
Speeches and articles
Court Circular
Media Packs
Press Releases
The Royal Diary

Very simple and user-friendly.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:20 AM
Courtier

I'm shocked at the new site!!!

What's that mess supposed to be? What were they thinking?! I cannot look at it for more that 10 seconds. And scrolling those endeless pages? Insane.

Goodbye, official British Monarchy website, and R.I.P.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Today - the Olde site is gone. It links you to the new royal.uk.

I also cannot get into either the CC or the Diary (Future Engagements) - it's timing out. :(
Old 04-14-2016, 09:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I'm not finding anything wrong with it. I think your IT guys whoever they are, are way off the mark and can't believe they would think that. Maybe you just need to give a go and you will get the hang of it.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I don't understand what you and your IT guys at school mean with that,
JSH's post summarized it nicely. The "user-friendly" menus you named existed on the old website, where the menu links opened more developed menus with links and pages logically arranged. The new website lacks further menus or site maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Maybe you just need to give a go and you will get the hang of it.
For example, try to browse the biographies of each United Kingdom monarch in chronological order on the new website, without looking up their names and regnal years. It was very simple to do on the older one.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Nobility

I am not a fan of the new website either, I don't like the way new items appear as you scroll and the royal family page is not in order, you have Charlotte near the top and George much further down.
Whoever thought that this would be an improvement is seriously wrong.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

They really have to work on this site. It's just starting out, but improvements are need badly.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-14-2016, 11:44 AM
Courtier

The new site has simply no structure: it's like a library hit by a cataclism, with the books scattered all over the place and the pages torn out. I'm surprised that some can actually use it, but it may be a generational thing: at 36 I'm probably too old to learn how to use a "deconstructed" site? There's a main menu and that's all. What about the sub-menus? And the sub-sub-... etc.?
I think that they took the concept of "browsing" a bit too far.

(Plus, the scrolling, with the big bobbing pictures, makes me sick, but that's a detail).
Old 04-16-2016, 09:47 AM
Heir Apparent

I had been unable to get into the Court Circular (and Diary) when I clicked on the link in the main page. Solution was to right click on the link box and copy and paste the link into my browser address line.
Ditto for the Diary (AKA Future Engagements).
If any of you share that problem here are the addresses:
https://www.royal.uk/court-circular
https://www.royal.uk/future-engagements

I can do a search now in either page - but if I do a longish search, when I try to go to the next page, I time out again. Buggy, very buggy. If any of you figures out a solution for this, please do share.
EDIT - the fix for all this as I just discovered is to navigate using a right click, open in new tab for any link. I don't have this issue on other sites I use, BTW.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

I was just looking at the Future Engagements individual list of royals and notice something:

That list is missing not only the younger royals but also Andrew. The list covers The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, Edward, Sophie, Anne, Richard, Birgitte, Edward Kent and Alexandra but no William, Kate, Harry or Andrew.

Does this mean that Andrew has been demoted to a part-time royal? Or is he continuing to only have his own site with no FEs listed (other than by Twitter or some other form). I did find not having even an option of the Duke of York on the FE's strange.

The list of the CC circular now has removed The Queen Mother and Princess Alice but has moved Kate above Harry whereas before she was below Andrew (I assumed that she was placed there so she was below the Counsellors of State). That list does include Prince and Princess Michael of Kent but no Duchess of Kent who was on the previous site. What this means is that you can't check for past engagements singly for the Duchess of Kent which could be done on the old site.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I was just looking at the Future Engagements individual list of royals and notice something:

That list is missing not only the younger royals but also Andrew. The list covers The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, Edward, Sophie, Anne, Richard, Birgitte, Edward Kent and Alexandra but no William, Kate, Harry or Andrew.

Does this mean that Andrew has been demoted to a part-time royal? Or is he continuing to only have his own site with no FEs listed (other than by Twitter or some other form). I did find not having even an option of the Duke of York on the FE's strange.

The list of the CC circular now has removed The Queen Mother and Princess Alice but has moved Kate above Harry whereas before she was below Andrew (I assumed that she was placed there so she was below the Counsellors of State). That list does include Prince and Princess Michael of Kent but no Duchess of Kent who was on the previous site. What this means is that you can't check for past engagements singly for the Duchess of Kent which could be done on the old site.
The site is still being worked out, because I think William, Catherine and Harry was just in the future engagements list the other day.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-17-2016, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Iluvbertie - my conclusion was that the names listed have their press run by the BP press office. Historically, they have been the family members to disclose most Future Engagements in the searchable site. And the other Press offices prefer to Tweet future engagements.
We will see how it plays out - but I think this is fairly obvious confirmation of the lack or harmony, mission, vision between the various entities. JMO
Old 04-17-2016, 10:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Iluvbertie - my conclusion was that the names listed have their press run by the BP press office. Historically, they have been the family members to disclose most Future Engagements in the searchable site. And the other Press offices prefer to Tweet future engagements.
We will see how it plays out - but I think this is fairly obvious confirmation of the lack or harmony, mission, vision between the various entities. JMO
Good point, but KP preference to twitting future engagements is what I don't like, and I think it leads to criticism for the young royals. I say this, because with the other royals, you can see what they will be doing ahead of time. With the Cambridge's, one have to wait for weeks at time to learn what they will be doing. It seems to give the impression they're pushing away their royal duties.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-17-2016, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Good point, but KP preference to twitting future engagements is what I don't like, and I think it leads to criticism for the young royals. I say this, because with the other royals, you can see what they will be doing ahead of time. With the Cambridge's, one have to wait for weeks at time to learn what they will be doing. It seems to give the impression they're pushing away their royal duties.
I agree completely. Haphazardly announcing future visits on Twitter is not user friendly at all.

Tags
british royal family, podcast, prince william, youtube, youtube videos kent windsor mountbatten