British Royal Family Engagements 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iluvbertie

Imperial Majesty
City
Bathurst
Country
Australia
Weekly Update to 4th January, 2018

As many of you know I do the weekly update (I know I had issues late last year but health and work wise I am hoping for a better 2018 so …) from Friday to Thursday as the Thursday is normally up on a Saturday morning here in Australia whereas I may have to wait until the following Tuesday here to see the Friday one from the UK so it is time for the first entry for 2018.

I will only add a royal once they have undertaken an engagement (and my spreadsheet is set up for Meghan to appear after the wedding). Types of Engagements and Patronages will only appear each week if there was an engagement of that type. The full analysis I posted last week will be available at the end of the year again.

Total Engagements with Individual Percentage of Total

HRH The Princess Royal – 1 (100%)

The League Table

HRH The Princess Royal – 1

Year to Date Total – 1

Percentage of Engagements

60s (Charles, Anne, Tim) – 100%
Over Retirement Age (65) (All the 60s upwards) – 100%

Number of Days on which a royal undertook Official Engagements to 4th January, 2018

HRH The Princess Royal – 1

Types of Engagements to 4th January, 2018

Each week only new types of engagements or ones that had a new engagement will appear here - otherwise it becomes unmanageable.

Conference – 1

Specific Charities or Organisations Supported via an Official Engagement to 4th January, 2018

To qualify for a mention in this category a royal has to have an officially mentioned connection to the organization e.g. this week the one engagement was the Oxford Farming Conference and Anne is the Honorary President.

Oxford Farming – 1

Notes

Overseas Engagements and Palaces will be added as they are actually used e.g. I would anticipate Sandringham to appear next week as HM usually does an engagement after church on Sundays at Sandringham where she presents bibles or other things.

I do NOT count 'Divine Service' as an engagement (nor the Epiphany service at St James on the 6th January) as there is no listing of the royals who attended - if any.

I am also planning to include a 'non-patronage engagement' section e.g. when a royal visits a school to which they have no official connection such as Andrew's visits to Gordonstoun (yes I know he is an old-boy but that is not an official connection - unlike Anne who does hold an official position with Gordonstoun). In the above scenario it is possible that an organisation will appear in both lists e.g. City Farms for Children - Patron is Anne but Kate also made a visit last year. This year that will appear as an 'official organisation' for Anne and an unofficial one for Kate. Just a bit more detail and nothing against any royal is intended but just a way of giving more detail on what they do and the fact that a charity/organisation etc isn't always limited to one royal only.

Last edited:
Interesting note for this week.

On Monday I checked the FE and noticed that the FE listed HRH Prince Henry of Wales and Ms Meghan Markle were to visit the radio station. I found this strange knowing that no other fiancee had been listed as attending an official engagement before the marriage and guess what ...

the CC only lists Harry as attending.

I would have found it strange had Meghan appeared before the marriage as Kate wasn't when she went to the lifeboat naming and a few others.

Interesting note for this week.

On Monday I checked the FE and noticed that the FE listed HRH Prince Henry of Wales and Ms Meghan Markle were to visit the radio station. I found this strange knowing that no other fiancee had been listed as attending an official engagement before the marriage and guess what ...

the CC only lists Harry as attending.

I would have found it strange had Meghan appeared before the marriage as Kate wasn't when she went to the lifeboat naming and a few others.

I'm a novice at this, but what is FE?

January FE Count:

According to the Future Engagements on the British Monarchy website the royals will be doing the following number of engagements in January. This does NOT include those engagements done inside the palaces which involve a very small number of people e.g. The Queen's presenting one person with an award - which she did last Sunday - is never included in this listing. Charles and Andrew never put their upcoming engagements up using the British Monarch website. It is rare to see anything from the Cambridges, Harry or Camilla either as they follow Charles' lead and put up nothing.

According to the Prince of Wales website there are no 'upcoming events' for Charles or Camilla.

The Duke of York puts events up on his website after the event. His facebook page used to give some idea of upcoming events but currently has nothing there - and hasn't put up upcoming events for many months now.

The Queen – 0
Philip – 0
Charles – 0
Camilla – 1
William – 2 plus an away day*
Kate – 2 play an away day*
Harry – 1
Meghan – 1
Andrew – 0
Edward – 12 plus an overseas visit at end of month to Sri Lanka
Sophie – 1 plus an overseas visit at end of month to Sri Lanka
Anne – 32
Richard – 3
Birgitte – 3 (?)
Kent – 2
Alexandra – 3

Notes

'An away day' is simply a day where the royal/s visit one place and undertake a number of engagements there. William and Kate have a day like that coming up in Coventry but this far out exactly what they are doing on that day isn't listed.

Edward and Sophie are visiting Sri Lanka on behalf of HM The Queen for the 70th Anniversary of Independence.

The ? beside Birgitte is because of the wording of the entry. The heading is The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester but the entry itself indicates only the Duke. When the event takes place it will be clear whether they both attended or only one.

I listed Meghan here because she was listed on the FE page but she will not have an entry in the CC because that only listed Harry as attending.

The FE says the total number of engagements for January will be = 63 plus the away day and overseas engagements but ... the total will be higher than that as I already have two more in the CC - The Queen and William undertaking engagements within the palace walls.

Bertie I thought Kate and Sophie had a joint event later this month?

LaRae

They may have one but it isn't in the FE on the British Monarchy website and that is where I get my information along with the Prince of Wales website and the Duke of York's website.

Sophie's events are usually listed while Kate's are largely hit and miss.

They also don't put everything up all that long in advance. That was my list done on the 31st December and updated today.

I have just finished with their updates and have engagements for Anne and Birgitte into March while for others there is nothing. They also spell out some days in more detail in advance e.g. Edward has a few days in India in February but Sophie isn't with him but what they are doing in Sri Lanka isn't identified at all - yet.

Kate and Sophie will be teaming up next month! A reader kindly emailed to let me know invitations have been sent out to celebrate the Commonwealth Fashion Exchange at BP on 19 February. Both ladies will be in attendance.

That was on Twitter today. It's Feb not Jan.

LaRae

Sophie's attendance is noted in the FE (thanks for the heads up about the correct date).

No mention of Kate attending however.

The 19th February, currently has only two engagements listed - both for Sophie - she will chair a Charities Forum Meeting at BP and then the Fashion event - also at BP.

Thank you Iluvbertie. I’m amazed at what you do with events and such and for your history knowledge.

This can be so annoying and so much fun as well.

At the beginning of the month the FE listed for the 10th January that the Earl of Wessex would attend a Reception but on the 10th he did two meetings and a performance but no reception. Things like 'meetings', 'receiveds', 'audiences', 'councils' etc don't ever appear in the FE it should be noted but normally something like a 'performance' especially one outside a palace would be listed.

Whoever is in charge in there is doing their usual job - a poor one if they don't know the difference between a 'reception' 'meeting' and performance'.

Ah the frustrations of my hobby ...

Pop up events like today for Kate and Wales for Harry/Meghan...but you get a week's notice for the Wales trip.

LaRae

But not via the FE which has nothing for Harry as of an hour ago for the rest of January, all of February and the first two weeks of March.

It is so annoying when they aren't all in one place but you have to go to multiple places and often still find nothing there as well as what they say is happening is wrong anyway.

Do you keep track of KP on Twitter?

I have tried but it is so inconsistent as to be useless. I get an update 'tweet' about every four to six weeks from KP and from CH and less often from the Duke of York with one item of interest and never anything about upcoming events or photos or anything like that - just garbage stuff.

I get more tweets from Trump - who I have never 'followed' than I do from anyone else. I believe he has had his 'twitter' account linked to a lot of others so if you follow those you are also getting his but from the royals - hardly any even though I actually have them on 'follow'.

Hmm seems like I get the most info from the various royal watchers on twitter when it comes to what the BRF is doing...other than Majesty Magazine on FB. I've posted several engagements from them over here before anyone else has.

LARae

Due to information received from other people I am able to update the FE totals as at the 11th January UK time

January Totals:
The Queen – 0
Philip – 0
Charles – 3
Camilla – 5
William – 3 plus an away day*
Kate – 4 plus an away day*
Harry – 1 plus an away day to Wales*
Meghan – 1 plus an away day to Wales*

Andrew – 0
Edward – 12 plus an overseas visit at end of month to Sri Lanka
Sophie – 1 plus an overseas visit at end of month to Sri Lanka
Anne – 32
Richard – 3
Birgitte – 3 (?)
Kent – 2
Alexandra – 3

I don't intend on doing the update every day - as that would be overkill - but this is show that there is information that is out there but not on the FE on the British monarchy website.

Note neither the FE or the other information I have makes any mention of Kate's visit with Sophie although Sophie is listed as undertaking that engagement in the FE but solo.

Quick question, I noticed you have not included the Cambridges tour to Sweden and Norway.
Is it because it extends to Feb?

No. I haven't included it because it isn't in the FE at all unlike the Wessexes trip to Sri Lanka which is.

Last edited:
Weekly Update to 11th January, 2018

Amazingly the CC seems to be working properly at this stage of the year – but then this time last year I believed the same thing …

The list will be growing this week as more of the royals undertook the first engagements for the year.

HM The Queen – 5 (16.1%)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall – 1 (3.2%)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge – 3 (9.7%)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge – 2 (6.5%)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales – 1 (3.2%)
HRH The Earl of Wessex – 5 (16.1%)
HRH The Countess of Wessex – 3 (9.7%)
HRH The Princess Royal – 8 (1 – up 7 – 25.8%)*
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence – 1 (3.2%)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester – 1 (3.2%)
HRH Princess Alexandra – 1 (3.2%)

*For the newer members of the board this entry says that Anne has now done 8 engagements for the year, last week her total was 1 and so she went up 7 during the week and that equates to 25.8% of all the engagements done so far.

The League Table

HRH The Princess Royal – 8
HM The Queen – 5
HRH The Earl of Wessex – 5
HRH The Duke of Cambridge – 3
HRH The Countess of Wessex – 3
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge – 2
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall – 1
HRH Prince Henry of Wales –1
Vice-Admiral Timothy Laurence – 1
HRH The Duke of Gloucester – 1
HRH Princess Alexandra – 1

Year to Date Total – 31 (1 – up 30)

90s (Elizabeth, Philip) – 16.1%
80s (Edward Kent, Alexandra) – 3.2%
70s (Camilla, Richard, Birgitte, Michael, Marie-Christine) – 6.5%
60s (Charles, Anne, Tim) – 29.0%
50s (Andrew, Edward, Sophie) – 25.9%
40s
30s (William, Kate, Harry) – 19.4%
20s (Beatrice, Eugenie) – 0%
Over Retirement Age (65) (All the 60s upwards) – 51.6%

Number of Days on which a royal undertook Official Engagements to 11th January, 2018

HM The Queen – 2
HRH The Duke of Cambridge – 2
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge – 2
HRH Prince Henry of Wales – 1
HRH The Earl of Wessex – 2
HRH The Countess of Wessex – 2
HRH The Princess Royal – 4
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence – 1
HRH The Duke of Gloucester – 1

Types of Engagements from 5th to 11th January, 2018

Audience – 3
Celebration – 1
Coffee Morning – 1
Conference – 2
Council – 1
Discussion – 1
Event – 2
Meeting – 4
Met People – 1
Opened – 1
Performance – 2
Presented Award – 1
Received – 3
Reception – 1
Visit – 9

Patronages that were Supported via an Official Engagement from 5th to 11th January, 2018

To qualify for a mention in this category a royal has to have an officially mentioned connection to the organization e.g. this week the one engagement was the Oxford Farming Conference and Anne is the Honorary President.

Anna Freud National Centre – 1
Central School of Ballet – 1
Duchy of Lancaster – 1
Duke of Edinburgh’s International Awards Foundation – 1
Honorary Military – 4
National Youth Jazz Orchestra – 1
Place2Be – 1
Queen Elizabeth Prize for Academic Excellence – 1
Restorative Justice Council – 1
Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland – 1
Royal Exchange Theatre Company – 2
Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Henry of Wales – 1
Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust – 1
Royal Yachting Association – 2
Save the Children UK – 2
Scottish Women’s Rural Institute (Ballater Branch) – 1
Society of Merchant Venturers – 1
St Christopher’s Hospice – 1

Organisations that were Supported via an Official Engagement from 5th to 11th January, 2018

These organisations were supported by a royal who had no official connection to the organization. They aren’t the patron, president, honorary member etc.

Campaign Against Living Miserably – 1
London Boat Show – 2
Reprezent 107.3FM Radio Station – 1
UKFast – 1

Sometimes the royal/s will be the patron of one organisation but attend an event related to that patronage at something that is not quite so specific e.g. Anne and Tim went to the London Boat Show because Anne is the Patron of the Royal Yachting Association which is why the London Boat Show is listed here as Anne isn’t the patron or president or anything like that with the London Boat Show. She is also listed as attending an event for the Royal Yachting Association for this event as well (she did two events for them during the week). Tim doesn’t get credit for going along as Patron as he isn’t the patron.

Overseas Engagements to 11th January, 2018

Total – 0

Royal Palaces where Events Occurred to 11th January, 2018

NB This is a count of number of engagements not number of royals who attended an engagement at the palace so an engagement where 2 or more royals attended the same event is counted here as one engagement at that venue.

Buckingham Palace (other than HM) – 5
Kensington Palace – 2
Sandringham House – 5

Royals who have Official Meetings with Politicians to 11th January, 2018

Over the years there has been a lot of criticism of Charles in particular meeting with various Members of Parliament. As someone who regularly reads the CC I am aware that not only does Charles do this but most of the members of the British Royal Family do as well. I thought it would be useful to keep a count at least of which royals meet with politicians. Obviously the Queen will top the list due to her monthly audience with the PM and other occasions such as yesterday when she not only had a council but had three audiences – two with the same person so he could hand in the ‘Seals of the Lord Chancellor’ and receive the ‘Seals of the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster’ due to PM May’s cabinet reshuffle.

The Queen – 3

What in the hell is Anne doing to be so productive? Does she start at 6 a.m., and have them lined up down a road or something?

She often arranges to do a series of engagements in the one general area. She does a lot of 'away days' e.g. she did three engagements in Cornwall on one day this week.

She also hates to be idle for long and so she does a lot of engagements. We are 11 days into the year according to the CC and she has done 8 engagements but only worked on 4 days - so 2 engagements a day on the days when she does undertake official engagements. This is a bit lower than her average for last year which was 2.9 engagements on the days she worked. Charles averaged 3.01 engagements on the days he did official engagements.

Remember that most official engagements are only 30 minutes to an hour long. Sure there are some that are longer but others are also shorter. When they 'receive' someone it is about 15 minutes. Sometimes when it says someone went to a 'conference' what it means is they appeared for a short period of time at the beginning of the day and then left - maybe 30 minutes or to listen to the key-note speech and then gone but it sounds like a lot more than it is. Sometimes they may stay for the entire day ... Andrew does that with some of the Pitch@Palace events while last year at the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland which went for six days all day - Anne appeared at the beginning of each day for the opening prayers basically and then left to do five or six engagements in Scotland before hosting a dinner back at Holyrood for the General Assembly attendees.

Fun and games with the FE and other sites trying to find out in advance what royals are doing what:

1. Last week the PoW website had Charles and Camilla carrying out engagements on the 25th and 26th January but the FE has them on the 24th and 25 - which the PoW website has moved them to as well.

2. Last week the FE had 'Harry and Meghan' undertaking engagements in Wales but now the FE only lists Harry as going (two engagements on the day)

3. FE still doesn't have the trip to Sweden and Norway up for the Cambridges

4. FE only has the Wessex's visiting Sri Lanka on one day but elsewhere I have read they will be there for 3 - 4 days before Edward goes to India

5. It seems that the Duchess of Gloucester, for some reason, has had to cancel her visit to Spain for the Davis Cup as that has been removed from the FE

6. Sophie's 'fashion' engagement that was reported earlier here to be occurring with Kate and did appear in the FE for Sophie but not Kate has now been removed as an upcoming engagement for Sophie

But still nothing upcoming for Andrew for the year ... (he did five the other day in the one day but his twitter and his website don't have him doing any engagements in the future.)

Weekly Update to 18th January, 2018

Amazingly the CC seems to be working properly at this stage of the year – but then this time last year I believed the same thing …

The only royals who have not yet undertaken any official duties are those who have either retired (HRH The Duke of Edinburgh) or who don’t undertake official duties but may appear in the CC after a major family event (TRH Princesses Beatrice, Eugenie and Michael and Prince Michael)

Of course, Meghan will start to appear here after she is married. Yes I know she is doing things with Harry but these are NOT official duties for her as she isn’t yet a royal.

Sorry for anybody who was looking for Anne's figures but the other source I have didn't have Anne's three engagements in Southampton so they had to be added. This resulted in changed figures, percentages and a return of Anne to the top of the 'league table' for those of you who follow that.

HM The Queen – 8 (8.9%)
HRH The Prince of Wales – 4 (4.4%)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall – 1 (1 – no change – 1.1%)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge – 10 (3 – up 7 – 11.1%)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge – 7 (2 – up 5 – 7.8%)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales – 6 (1 – up 5 – 6.7%)
HRH The Duke of York – 9 (10.0%)
HRH The Earl of Wessex – 16 (5 – up 11 – 17.8%)
HRH The Countess of Wessex – 4 (3 – up 1 – 4.4%)
HRH The Princess Royal – 18 (8 – up 10 – 20%)
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence – 1 (1 – no change – 1.1%)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester – 2 (1 – up 1 – 2.2%)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester – 1 (1.1%)
HRH The Duke of Kent – 2 (2.2%)
HRH Princess Alexandra – 1 (1 – no change – 1.1%)

The League Table

HRH The Princess Royal – 18
HRH The Earl of Wessex – 16
HRH The Duke of Cambridge – 10
HRH The Duke of York – 9
HM The Queen – 8
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge – 7
HRH Prince Henry of Wales – 6
HRH The Prince of Wales – 4
HRH The Countess of Wessex – 4
HRH The Duke of Gloucester – 2
HRH The Duke of Kent – 2
Vice-Admiral Timothy Laurence – 1
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester – 1

Year to Date Total – 90 (31 – up 59)

90s (Elizabeth, Philip) – 8.9%
80s (Edward Kent, Alexandra) – 3.3%
70s (Camilla, Richard, Birgitte, Michael, Marie-Christine) – 4.4%
60s (Charles, Anne, Tim) – 25.6%
50s (Andrew, Edward, Sophie) – 33.2%
30s (William, Kate, Harry) – 25.6%
20s (Beatrice, Eugenie) – 0%
Over Retirement Age (65) (All the 60s upwards) – 41.1%

Number of Days on which a royal undertook Official Engagements to 18th January, 2018

HM The Queen – 3
HRH The Prince of Wales – 2
HRH The Duke of Cambridge – 5
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge – 4
HRH Prince Henry of Wales – 4
HRH The Duke of York – 2
HRH The Earl of Wessex – 7
HRH The Countess of Wessex – 3
HRH The Princess Royal – 7
Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence – 1
HRH The Duke of Gloucester – 2
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester – 1
HRH The Duke of Kent – 1

Types of Engagements to 18th January, 2018

These are the total number of these types of engagements for the year – not how many were done in the last week.

Concert – 1
Cultural Festival – 1
Dinner – 4
Joined Judging Panel – 1
Meeting – 11
Met People – 2
Open Day – 1
Opened – 7
Presented Award – 3
Presented Bible – 1
Received – 15
Reception – 6
Visit – 26

Patronages that were Supported via an Official Engagement to 18th January, 2018

All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club – 1
Baker Dearing Education Trust – 1
British Asian Trust – 1
British Museum – 1
British Paralympic Association – 1
Duke of Edinburgh’s Award – 4
Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Foundation - 5
Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Foundation Global Ambassador – 1
Fishmongers Company – 1
Foundation for Liver Research – 1
Honorary Military – 5
Motor Neurone Disease Association – 1
Outward Bound Trust – 1
Pitch@Palace – 2
Queen’s Gold Medal for Academic Excellence at Edward VII School – 1
Restorative Justice Council – 2
Royal Foundation of William, Kate and Harry – 2
Royal Society of Medicine – 1

Organisations that were Supported via an Official Engagement to 18th January, 2018

These organisations were supported by a royal who had no official connection to the organization. They aren’t the patron, president, honorary member etc.

Coventry University’s Science and Health Building – 2
Endeavour Fund Award – 1
Evelina Children’s Hospital – 1
Excalibur Screwbolts Limited – 1
Giants Club – 1
Gwent County Borough Council’s Flying Start Hub – 1
Making Space – 1
Millbank Academy – 1
Mittal Children’s Medical Centre – 1
Positive Youth Foundation – 1
Royal Automobile Club – 2
Scottish Fishing and Fish Processing Industries – 1
Scottish Natural Heritage – 1
Southampton Solent University's Ship Handling Centre – 1
Southampton Solent University's Warsash School of Maritime Science and Engineering – 1
Step into Health Programme – 1
StreetGames Programme at Star Hub – 1
The Queen’s Award for Enterprise – 1
Trinity Church of England High School – 1

Overseas Engagements to 18th January, 2018

Total – 0

Royal Palaces where Events Occurred to 18th January, 2018

NB This is a count of number of engagements not number of royals who attended an engagement at the palace so an engagement where 2 or more royals attended the same event is counted here as one engagement at that venue.

Buckingham Palace (other than HM) – 15
Buckingham Palace (Her Majesty) –
St James Palace – 2
Windsor –
Clarence House – 4*
Kensington Palace – 5
Holyrood House –
Hillsborough Castle –
Marlborough House –
Sandringham House – 7
Balmoral –
Dumfries House –
Edinburgh Castle –

The CC is listing HRH The Prince of Wales engagements under the heading of Clarence House but I believe he is still in Scotland and so they were actually at Birkhall. As they all relate to Scottish specific issues I can’t imagine that they would have travelled to London to have a meeting with Charles. When the engagement is at Dumfries House they are listed as such but Charles doesn’t have engagements officially at Birkhall (that I can remember anyway)

Royals who have Official Meetings with Politicians to 18th January, 2018

Over the years there has been a lot of criticism of Charles in particular meeting with various Members of Parliament. As someone who regularly reads the CC I am aware that not only does Charles do this but most of the members of the British Royal Family do as well. I thought it would be useful to keep a count at least of which royals meet with politicians.

The Queen – 3
HRH The Duke of York – 1

Last edited:
I say again Iluvbertie what you do for us is quite amazing. Thank you very much.

The FE is now confirming that Anne is going to South Korea for the Winter Olympics and the pre-games IOC meeting.

They have added two engagements for Kate but still no mention of William and Kate's visit to Norway and Sweden next week nor any details of Edward and Sophie's visit to Sri Lanka at the same time - other than they are going at HM's representatives at the 70th Anniversary of Independence on the first day and then it spells out Edward's trip to India that follows but what they are doing in Sri Lanka on any day isn't spelt out (or even that they are there for more than one day).

I was thinking that the detail of the o/seas trip may not be given for security reasons. And that is currently a very serious issue.

What I dont understand is 2 engagements for Catherine on 24/1 but no mention of the one on 23rd ( thats the one that was tweeted incorrectly by KP as 23/2 - has never been corrected and then that tweet has disappeared).
ILuvbertie is right in not relying on twitter.

I can understand the details of the Sri Lankan trip for security reasons but still find it strange that there is no mention of the Cambridge's trip.

The FE and the different royals twitter pages have had a few different dates - which makes it fun to track as I am doing this year.

Seeing engagements added, removed, moved etc is fun.

:previous:

Agree - seen E of Wessex move dates, internal meetings appear; the PoW site not agreeing with Royal (closer events not on PoW site) and more events out of nowhere (ie 7 for PoW on 22/1)

Start of a month not an indicator of how it will pan out either - I had 48 on 1st Jan and now it looks like 170.

Well done Iluvbertie - its fun but a definite moving feast!

Back
Top Bottom