The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

British Royal Family Engagements 2018

Weekly Update to 4th January, 2018

As many of you know I do the weekly update (I know I had issues late last year but health and work wise I am hoping for a better 2018 so …) from Friday to Thursday as the Thursday is normally up on a Saturday morning here in Australia whereas I may have to wait until the following Tuesday here to see the Friday one from the UK so it is time for the first entry for 2018.

I will only add a royal once they have undertaken an engagement (and my spreadsheet is set up for Meghan to appear after the wedding). Types of Engagements and Patronages will only appear each week if there was an engagement of that type. The full analysis I posted last week will be available at the end of the year again.

Total Engagements with Individual Percentage of Total

HRH The Princess Royal – 1 (100%)

The League Table

HRH The Princess Royal – 1

Year to Date Total – 1

Percentage of Engagements

60s (Charles, Anne, Tim) – 100%
Over Retirement Age (65) (All the 60s upwards) – 100%

Number of Days on which a royal undertook Official Engagements to 4th January, 2018

HRH The Princess Royal – 1

Types of Engagements to 4th January, 2018

Each week only new types of engagements or ones that had a new engagement will appear here - otherwise it becomes unmanageable.

Conference – 1

Specific Charities or Organisations Supported via an Official Engagement to 4th January, 2018

To qualify for a mention in this category a royal has to have an officially mentioned connection to the organization e.g. this week the one engagement was the Oxford Farming Conference and Anne is the Honorary President.

Oxford Farming – 1

Notes

Overseas Engagements and Palaces will be added as they are actually used e.g. I would anticipate Sandringham to appear next week as HM usually does an engagement after church on Sundays at Sandringham where she presents bibles or other things.

I do NOT count 'Divine Service' as an engagement (nor the Epiphany service at St James on the 6th January) as there is no listing of the royals who attended - if any.

I am also planning to include a 'non-patronage engagement' section e.g. when a royal visits a school to which they have no official connection such as Andrew's visits to Gordonstoun (yes I know he is an old-boy but that is not an official connection - unlike Anne who does hold an official position with Gordonstoun). In the above scenario it is possible that an organisation will appear in both lists e.g. City Farms for Children - Patron is Anne but Kate also made a visit last year. This year that will appear as an 'official organisation' for Anne and an unofficial one for Kate. Just a bit more detail and nothing against any royal is intended but just a way of giving more detail on what they do and the fact that a charity/organisation etc isn't always limited to one royal only.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Interesting note for this week.

On Monday I checked the FE and noticed that the FE listed HRH Prince Henry of Wales and Ms Meghan Markle were to visit the radio station. I found this strange knowing that no other fiancee had been listed as attending an official engagement before the marriage and guess what ...

the CC only lists Harry as attending.

I would have found it strange had Meghan appeared before the marriage as Kate wasn't when she went to the lifeboat naming and a few others.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Interesting note for this week.

On Monday I checked the FE and noticed that the FE listed HRH Prince Henry of Wales and Ms Meghan Markle were to visit the radio station. I found this strange knowing that no other fiancee had been listed as attending an official engagement before the marriage and guess what ...

the CC only lists Harry as attending.

I would have found it strange had Meghan appeared before the marriage as Kate wasn't when she went to the lifeboat naming and a few others.
I'm a novice at this, but what is FE?
Old 01-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Majesty

Future engagements
Old 01-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Future engagements
Thank you
Old 01-10-2018, 07:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

January FE Count:

According to the Future Engagements on the British Monarchy website the royals will be doing the following number of engagements in January. This does NOT include those engagements done inside the palaces which involve a very small number of people e.g. The Queen's presenting one person with an award - which she did last Sunday - is never included in this listing. Charles and Andrew never put their upcoming engagements up using the British Monarch website. It is rare to see anything from the Cambridges, Harry or Camilla either as they follow Charles' lead and put up nothing.

According to the Prince of Wales website there are no 'upcoming events' for Charles or Camilla.

The Duke of York puts events up on his website after the event. His facebook page used to give some idea of upcoming events but currently has nothing there - and hasn't put up upcoming events for many months now.

The Queen – 0
Philip – 0
Charles – 0
Camilla – 1
William – 2 plus an away day*
Kate – 2 play an away day*
Harry – 1
Meghan – 1
Andrew – 0
Edward – 12 plus an overseas visit at end of month to Sri Lanka
Sophie – 1 plus an overseas visit at end of month to Sri Lanka
Anne – 32
Richard – 3
Birgitte – 3 (?)
Kent – 2
Alexandra – 3

Notes

'An away day' is simply a day where the royal/s visit one place and undertake a number of engagements there. William and Kate have a day like that coming up in Coventry but this far out exactly what they are doing on that day isn't listed.

Edward and Sophie are visiting Sri Lanka on behalf of HM The Queen for the 70th Anniversary of Independence.

The ? beside Birgitte is because of the wording of the entry. The heading is The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester but the entry itself indicates only the Duke. When the event takes place it will be clear whether they both attended or only one.

I listed Meghan here because she was listed on the FE page but she will not have an entry in the CC because that only listed Harry as attending.

The FE says the total number of engagements for January will be = 63 plus the away day and overseas engagements but ... the total will be higher than that as I already have two more in the CC - The Queen and William undertaking engagements within the palace walls.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:39 PM
Majesty

Bertie I thought Kate and Sophie had a joint event later this month?

LaRae
Old 01-10-2018, 08:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

They may have one but it isn't in the FE on the British Monarchy website and that is where I get my information along with the Prince of Wales website and the Duke of York's website.

Sophie's events are usually listed while Kate's are largely hit and miss.

They also don't put everything up all that long in advance. That was my list done on the 31st December and updated today.

I have just finished with their updates and have engagements for Anne and Birgitte into March while for others there is nothing. They also spell out some days in more detail in advance e.g. Edward has a few days in India in February but Sophie isn't with him but what they are doing in Sri Lanka isn't identified at all - yet.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:24 PM
Majesty

Kate and Sophie will be teaming up next month! A reader kindly emailed to let me know invitations have been sent out to celebrate the Commonwealth Fashion Exchange at BP on 19 February. Both ladies will be in attendance.

That was on Twitter today. It's Feb not Jan.

LaRae
Old 01-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sophie's attendance is noted in the FE (thanks for the heads up about the correct date).

No mention of Kate attending however.

The 19th February, currently has only two engagements listed - both for Sophie - she will chair a Charities Forum Meeting at BP and then the Fashion event - also at BP.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:18 PM
Courtier

Thank you Iluvbertie. I’m amazed at what you do with events and such and for your history knowledge.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

This can be so annoying and so much fun as well.

At the beginning of the month the FE listed for the 10th January that the Earl of Wessex would attend a Reception but on the 10th he did two meetings and a performance but no reception. Things like 'meetings', 'receiveds', 'audiences', 'councils' etc don't ever appear in the FE it should be noted but normally something like a 'performance' especially one outside a palace would be listed.

Whoever is in charge in there is doing their usual job - a poor one if they don't know the difference between a 'reception' 'meeting' and performance'.

Ah the frustrations of my hobby ...
Old 01-11-2018, 05:47 PM
Majesty

Pop up events like today for Kate and Wales for Harry/Meghan...but you get a week's notice for the Wales trip.

LaRae
Old 01-11-2018, 05:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

But not via the FE which has nothing for Harry as of an hour ago for the rest of January, all of February and the first two weeks of March.

It is so annoying when they aren't all in one place but you have to go to multiple places and often still find nothing there as well as what they say is happening is wrong anyway.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Majesty

Do you keep track of KP on Twitter?
Old 01-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

I have tried but it is so inconsistent as to be useless. I get an update 'tweet' about every four to six weeks from KP and from CH and less often from the Duke of York with one item of interest and never anything about upcoming events or photos or anything like that - just garbage stuff.

I get more tweets from Trump - who I have never 'followed' than I do from anyone else. I believe he has had his 'twitter' account linked to a lot of others so if you follow those you are also getting his but from the royals - hardly any even though I actually have them on 'follow'.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:10 PM
Majesty

Hmm seems like I get the most info from the various royal watchers on twitter when it comes to what the BRF is doing...other than Majesty Magazine on FB. I've posted several engagements from them over here before anyone else has.

LARae
Old 01-12-2018, 01:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Due to information received from other people I am able to update the FE totals as at the 11th January UK time

January Totals:
The Queen – 0
Philip – 0
Charles – 3
Camilla – 5
William – 3 plus an away day*
Kate – 4 plus an away day*
Harry – 1 plus an away day to Wales*
Meghan – 1 plus an away day to Wales*

Andrew – 0
Edward – 12 plus an overseas visit at end of month to Sri Lanka
Sophie – 1 plus an overseas visit at end of month to Sri Lanka
Anne – 32
Richard – 3
Birgitte – 3 (?)
Kent – 2
Alexandra – 3

I don't intend on doing the update every day - as that would be overkill - but this is show that there is information that is out there but not on the FE on the British monarchy website.

Note neither the FE or the other information I have makes any mention of Kate's visit with Sophie although Sophie is listed as undertaking that engagement in the FE but solo.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:30 AM

Quick question, I noticed you have not included the Cambridges tour to Sweden and Norway.
Is it because it extends to Feb?
Old 01-12-2018, 06:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

No. I haven't included it because it isn't in the FE at all unlike the Wessexes trip to Sri Lanka which is.