The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-28-2016, 01:28 AM
Majesty

Prince Philip carries out twice as many public engagements as Kate | Daily Mail Online

Old 12-28-2016, 01:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Why they always single out a mother of two young kids?

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-28-2016, 03:14 AM
Majesty

Well . . . she does have a couple of Nannies and a hubby that works part time . . . .
Old 12-28-2016, 05:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Why they always single out a mother of two young kids?
Easy target. The general ingrained mysogyny, the attitude, that she's undeserving of her position, and 'lesser than'. Does she deserve to get called out? I don't know. But she does get called out more than others, as far as I see.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Easy target. The general ingrained mysogyny, the attitude, that she's undeserving of her position, and 'lesser than'. Does she deserve to get called out? I don't know. But she does get called out more than others, as far as I see.
A canadian news website compared each married into the family royal ladies first five years of engagments and kate did the least, i think thats worth discussion and comment and that doesn't mean people are picking in her or singling her out. It doesn't even have to be a critisism simply people noting a change in the expections of new memebrs of the RF.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
A canadian news website compared each married into the family royal ladies first five years of engagments and kate did the least, i think thats worth discussion and comment and that doesn't mean people are picking in her or singling her out. It doesn't even have to be a critisism simply people noting a change in the expections of new memebrs of the RF.
Catherine has the fewest public appearances. That does not mean she did the least. We have discussed over and over the difference between showing up and pulling a curtain and building/running collaborative coalitions.
And Mods need to move a "Kate does little" discussion to an appropriate thread.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

People have to stop looking at the engagement lists as some sort of competition. All the royals do their job in contributing to the work of the firm. The focus should be on the quality and meaning of their work, instead quantity of their engagements.

Always singling out one member of the family is very much unfair. Especially, when people refuse to understand the position.

Yes, people are picking on her. Think because they like using her as target practice.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-28-2016, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

20th-22nd December CC

Buckingham Palace
20th December, 2016
The Duke of Edinburgh, Patron and Founder, The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Foundation, today received Mr. John May (Secretary General).
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh were represented by Mrs. Peter Troughton (Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Wiltshire) at the Funeral of the Lady Elizabeth Longman which was held in St. John’s Church, Bishopstone, near Salisbury, Wiltshire, today.
Clarence House
20th December, 2016
The Prince of Wales, Patron, the University of Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership, this morning held a Meeting.
His Royal Highness, Colonel-in-Chief, The Royal Regiment of Canada, received Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Payne (Commanding Officer) and Warrant Officer Class One David Turnball (Regimental Sergeant Major).
The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay, President, the Great Steward of Scotland’s Dumfries House Trust, this evening held a Dinner at Dumfries House, Cumnock, Ayrshire.
Buckingham Palace
20th December, 2016
The Duke of York this evening gave a Dinner for Mr. Yang Jiechi (State Councillor of the People’s Republic of China) at Buckingham Palace.

21st December
Clarence House
21st December, 2016
The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay this morning visited Ayrshire Hospice, Racecourse Road, Ayr, Ayrshire.
His Royal Highness, President, the Great Steward of Scotland’s Dumfries House Trust, this afternoon attended the Dumfries House Tea Dance at Dumfries House, Cumnock, Ayrshire.
His Royal Highness, President, the Great Steward of Scotland’s Dumfries House Trust, this evening held a Dinner at Dumfries House.

22nd December

Sandringham, Norfolk
22nd December, 2016
A Service of Lessons and Carols was held in Sandringham Parish Church this afternoon.
Clarence House
22nd December, 2016
The Prince of Wales, Patron, this afternoon visited Sue Ryder Care, Leckhampton Court Hospice, Church Road, Leckhampton, and was received by Mr. Robert Bernays (Vice Lord-Lieutenant of Gloucestershire).
His Royal Highness later visited the Goods Shed, Tetbury, Gloucestershire

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-28-2016, 11:28 AM
Nobility

It's worth noting that in that "compare the first five years of Diana/Sarah/Sophie/Kate" chart that Maclean's has managed to put George's birth a year before it actually happened.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:42 AM
Serene Highness

Prince Charles was 2016’s hardest working royal, followed by Princess Anne – Royal Central
Old 12-28-2016, 11:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

I believe Catherine is doing very well, all while taking care of two kids at home. William has stepped up and now, heading into 2017, his workload will start to increase even more. Harry is pretty busy and doing well as well. I think the young royals doing and will continue to do well in their work as senior royals.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-28-2016, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I believe Catherine's official engagement number is in the hundreds.
140 which is up by 78 on last yr. These are my figures, taken from Times CC

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-28-2016, 11:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

The focus should be on their work and not on some large number. We have to start paying attention to quality and their roles they are carving out. It's really not about one working harder than the other, but one has more responsibilies than the other.

If William, Catherine and Harry was handed down roles from; The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, The Queen Mother, and Princess Margaret, their responsibilities would be great too.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Catherine has the fewest public appearances. That does not mean she did the least. We have discussed over and over the difference between showing up and pulling a curtain and building/running collaborative coalitions.
And Mods need to move a "Kate does little" discussion to an appropriate thread.
I didn't say she did little, I said on those figures presented she did the least. The figures are of course open to interrogation - already its been pointed out they have placed George's date of birth wrongly.

Please do move this to a more appropriate thread
Old 12-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Majesty

Many thanks.

Quite disappointing to see that Camilla only did around 220 engagements this year. I would expect her to be doing around 300 per year.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
A big jump for Catherine
Old 12-28-2016, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
How is it misogyny to think that a wealthy woman who has a full time nanny for her children could be seen as working in some way?

Personally, I find the defense of Catherine's not doing more engagements because "she's a mother of two young children" to be insulting to the women around the world who hold down full time jobs while raising children. I think there are reasons for her not being a full time royal and pulling in bigger numbers that go beyond the idea that she's "work shy", but the idea that it's because she has kids is insulting to women.

Women can raise children and work. We've been doing it for all of human history. It's not misogynistic in the least to wonder what a woman who has a full time nanny and isn't seen working is doing with her time.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Many thanks.

Quite disappointing to see that Camilla only did around 220 engagements this year. I would expect her to be doing around 300 per year.
I believe Camilla's numbers are fairly standard for her. I think she's only hit the 300 mark once or twice since her marriage.

The reasoning behind her numbers is typically that she's a 60+ woman who hasn't enjoyed the best of health. Given some of the criticism of Kate for her numbers, I do find it interesting that Camilla doesn't get more criticism for her numbers, but then Kate is someone the press/public want to see a lot of, while Camilla is not.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
It's worth noting that in that "compare the first five years of Diana/Sarah/Sophie/Kate" chart that Maclean's has managed to put George's birth a year before it actually happened.
Thanks for catching that little error hel!
Old 12-28-2016, 12:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
So cepe did your personal figures match Mr. O'Donovan's this year?