The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-06-2017, 09:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Let's not forget The Princess Royal! I think all the Windsors who military uniforms wear them well. I enjoy the uniform days.
Right you are. Princess Anne looks nice in a uniform. I think that there is a difference between "looking great in a uniform" and "wear them well".

Old 04-06-2017, 09:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree Dman and I miss seeing QEII in her uniforms during the Trooping of the Color.
I saw some old footage of Trooping the Colour not too long ago and thought QEII looked very elegant on horseback in uniform.

Philip also looked fantastic in uniform in his younger days.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry are to join more than 25,000 people in northern France to mark the centenary of a defining World War One battle.

The four-day battle of Vimy Ridge saw the deaths of 3,598 Canadian forces.

Princes William and Harry will lay a pair of boots as part of a tribute to those killed near the city of Arras.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and French President Francois Hollande are among the others attending.
Read more: Vimy Ridge: Royals to commemorate defining WW1 battle - BBC News
Old 04-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Live Coverages of the Vimy Ridge Ceremonies in Canada and France can be viewed here: 9am Eastern Time- 10am in France-
http://www.cpac.ca/en/#

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Ceremony is now LIVE:
http://www.cpac.ca/en/#

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Serene Highness

Charles, William and Harry mark Vimy centenary in France | Daily Mail Online

The Prince of Wales joined William and Harry in northern France on Sunday
Royals are paying tribute to soldiers who died at the Battle of Vimy Ridge
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and President Hollande are also there
Old 04-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Heir Apparent

I wonder about the logistics of this event. Does William have to travel separately from his father just in case? Prince Andrew as regent for King George VII for many years not really good situation for going forward after the Queen's passing.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:56 AM
Heir Apparent

CPAC‏ @CPAC_TV
#Vimy100: The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry place poppies on last two pairs of Boots of the Fallen, representing 3,600 Canadian dead.

https://twitter.com/CPAC_TV/status/851082256819126272
Old 04-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Both Harry and William did their grandmother proud. Very dignified, respectful and definitely emotional. It sent shivers up my spine watching this.

I just really wish that these were the only kind of rememberances we needed to have. WWI was supposed to be the war to end all wars. Little could they have dreamed.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Princes Charles, William and Harry have joined together in France to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge and honour the sacrifice of Canadian troops.

Vimy Ridge, in which 3,598 Canadians died, was fought in 1917 in northern France during the First World War.

The battle was a strategic victory for the Allies and forms an important part of Canada's national identity - commemorated on the back of their $20 note.

The royals were joined by France's President Francois Hollande and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau who all attended a ceremony at the site of the conflict on Sunday.

A special message from the Queen also praised the "courage" and "ingenuity" of Canadian troops.
Read more: Royals mark Battle of Vimy Ridge centenary in France as Queen praises Canadian sacrifice - ITV News
Old 04-09-2017, 03:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Video from CBC News - the royals arrive at 1:04:30 - Prince Charles speeaks at 2:18:20:
Old 04-09-2017, 03:15 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Thank you so much Royal Norway for putting this link up with the memorial of Vimy Ridge in its entirety. I'm watching it now (beautifully closed captioned too) and already there are serious lumps in my throat. Its estimated that it could be 10,000 Canadian schoolchildren who have traveled to be there for this historic occasion.

Back to the video I goes. Thanks much again.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

You're very welcome!

Video from Getty Images:
The sacrifice of First World War Canadian soldiers who helped forge... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images
Old 04-09-2017, 06:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I wonder about the logistics of this event. Does William have to travel separately from his father just in case? Prince Andrew as regent for King George VII for many years not really good situation for going forward after the Queen's passing.
With the exception of the return from Switzerland when the Queen Mother died William hasn't been allowed to fly with his father since he was 12. They made an exception when the QM died so that none of the three of them had to fly back alone.

Assuming they flew to France, rather than caught the train, then yes William and Charles should have flown separately.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

It had to be later then when William was 12 when they stopped flying together. Charles, William and Harry went to Canada on a tour after Diana died but William was still a teen. I can't imagine they made him fly separately on the tour.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:47 PM
Courtier

Very nice to see Charles with his sons, I can't remember the last time I saw just the 3 of them together.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Probably that photo call skiing right before the Queen Mum died.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Charles, William and Harry on the front page of The Times

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/851185324160102401
Old 04-09-2017, 07:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Very nice to see Charles with his sons, I can't remember the last time I saw just the 3 of them together.
They did an official engagement together just a couple of years ago. It's just that the three of them aren't together often. I wish they could do more together and include Camilla and Catherine.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-09-2017, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

That bloody battle of Vimy Ridge (bloody in all senses) was in a way a very sad coming of age for Canada as a nation, as Galipolli was for us Aussies. A sad awakening in an unnecessary war, a war in which Britain and its Empire lost nearly a million war dead. This commemoration was terribly moving and I'm so glad the three Princes were there to pay tribute to the bravery of these young men, as of course was PM Trudeau and many many proud Canadians. The theme of poppies in boots was tremendous I thought.