The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-09-2017, 11:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Majesty

The speech is pathetic. I wonder who wrote it. "Peace and stability" have been sorely missing in Iraq and Afghanistan.

On a different note, The Duchess of Cornwall and The Duchess of Gloucester looked lovely.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Those countries/regions haven't had peace in centuries.

LaRae
Old 03-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Courtier

"Bring peace to Iraq"... For the love of God.. Hope she knows what exactly her troops helped bring..
Old 03-09-2017, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Thanks Dman! The royals start arriving in the beautiful 1950 Rolls-Royce Phantom IV (the Queen's former state car from 1950 to 1977) and the 1986 Rolls-Royce Phantom VI at 1:04:00 in the video.

William, Kate and Harry arrives in their mordern cars at 1:07:10.

Charles and Camilla arrives in the 1977 Silver Jubilee Rolls-Royce Phantom VI (the Queen's former state car from 1977 to 2002) at 1:09:00.

The Queen and Philip arrives in the in one of the two 2002 Bentley State Limousine at 1:12:50. You can se Sophie, Kate and Theresa May curtsy to HM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
The speech is pathetic. I wonder who wrote it. "Peace and stability" have been sorely missing in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Those countries/regions haven't had peace in centuries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
"Bring peace to Iraq"... For the love of God.. Hope she knows what exactly her troops helped bring..
She didn't say it was peace and stability in Iraq and Afghanistan, she said:
Quote:
The Queen said it was with "pride" that the country honoured the contribution of those who served the nation, in a foreword written for the event's official programme in which she paid tribute to those who worked to bring "peace and stability" to Iraq and Afghanistan.
In addition to my videos in post 60 (and Dman's video) here are some more:

Old 03-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Cambridge's should start using the State Cars more, imo.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Majesty

Nice event.

Reading done by Harry
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/839871810665598978

Those with more knowledge, may I ask what medal is Harry wearing around his neck? And why is he the only one?
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id650435994
Old 03-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

It's the Royal Victorian Order and I wondered the same. He's done that before but I always thought there was protocol to this.

Phillip, Charles and William aren't wearing orders
Old 03-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
Nice event.

Reading done by Harry

Those with more knowledge, may I ask what medal is Harry wearing around his neck? And why is he the only one?
I believe the order he is wearing is the Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order he was bestowed with by the Queen in 2015.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
It's the Royal Victorian Order and I wondered the same. He's done that before but I always thought there was protocol to this.

thank you. Yes it seems odd that he is the only one wearing it.
Especially since he arrived with William...
Old 03-09-2017, 01:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

It's all down to personal choice. I think he got the order due to his active military service too.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
thank you. Yes it seems odd that he is the only one wearing it.
Especially since he arrived with William...
Well, he's the only one who got a neck one I think. William jumped straight to order of the garter and it's not worn arround the neck. I'm not sure of Phillip though
Old 03-09-2017, 02:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The Cambridge's should start using the State Cars more, imo.
Agree! But the cars that I mentioned in post 65 are the only ones (in addition to a Daimler from 1992) of the old-fashioned royal cars that are still in use (the others were given to museums). All these cars are stored at Buckingham Palace and since William/Kate uses to travel directly from Kensington Palace to events, It's easier for them to use the modern Bentleys. But they used the the Bentley State Limousine and the Silver Jubilee car (usually reserved for the Queen and Charles) for their wedding in 2011 and the 1986 Rolls-Royce Phantom VI for the Diamond Jubilee in 2012.

Quote:
Nice event.

Reading done by Harry

As mentioned above by other posters, It's the Royal Victorian Order (a the personal gift from the monarch). Harry was made a Knight Commander (KCVO) the second grade of the order in 2015.

The Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra, the Duke of Gloucester, the Duchess of Gloucester, Prince Michael of Kent, Sophie, Andrew, Edward and Camilla have all been made Knights/Dame Grand Cross (GCVO) the highest grade of the order.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I see the Earl of Ulster is also present - in the second row behind Edward. He saw active service in Afghanistan and Iraq

Old 03-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Lovely to see the video of it. Harry speaks very well. Nice that he was able to speak as opposed to William. Not that I mind William speaking.

LaRae
Old 03-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would imagine that one reason that Harry spoke while William didn't would be for the sole reason that as the event was honoring and remembering those that gave the ultimate sacrifice for their crown and country in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Harry played a very up close and personal role himself with his tours of duty in Afghanistan and can identify with the losses the family and friends have suffered and was probably remembering those he knew that didn't make it home.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Heir Apparent

It wasn't about just the people who died but all who served during the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. However, Harry is still the obvious choice for a reading.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry appeared very moved during the reading he did and at other times too, probably remembering comrades. I think it's excellent that someone who actually served in Afghanistan, in a war zone, got to perform a part in the ceremony.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
... [snipped]She didn't say it was peace and stability in Iraq and Afghanistan, she said:
... [snipped]
I do not think that my post contradicts your quote.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
I see the Earl of Ulster is also present - in the second row behind Edward. He saw active service in Afghanistan and Iraq

I thought that looked like him! Thanks for clarifying this for me.