British Royal Family Current Events 8: April 2015-January 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Thank you for sharing these. It was nice to see the Duchess of Gloucester there with HM, Harry and Eugenie.

Beatrice was there too!

The way People magazine defines the Commonwealth is so very 6th grade US reader level. I love my country, but I also worry about what we gloss over in life. ;)

Prince Harry's Charities and Patronages

Harry accompanies his grandmother at the Young Leaders awards. David Beckham, too!

David Beckham, Prince Harry and the Queen at the Queen's Young Leaders of 2016 : People.com

Harry's description of how HM's example is one that he "aspires" to and the "standard" of how he'll "judge (his) contribution" was very eloquent and powerful. I imagine it means a lot to HM that her family has so much respect for all her hard work over the years.

Last edited:
David Beckham meets the Queen at Buckingham Palace awards ceremony | Daily Mail Online
What David Beckham said about our beloved Queen yesterday:
'Just being here, it gives me goosebumps just driving through the gate. I've been here a couple of times now and every time it is very special. After the school pick up today I was talking to Harper and I was like 'I'm going to see the Queen.' She was like, 'okay but do you think she will be drinking tea.' So she was very inquisitive. I am so proud to be here. '

What Harry said about his grandmother yesterday:
In a short but deeply personal speech, Harry praised his 90-year-old grandmother for the example she has set since she became monarch at such a young age, 63 years ago.

He said: 'I have been extremely fortunate to meet many exceptional people over the years, but none more so than Her Majesty The Queen. As the head of the Commonwealth, the Nation, the Armed Forces and our Family, I - like millions of others across the world - have been able to look to her for inspiration and guidance.

'The Queen, who assumed the challenge of leadership at such a young age, has shown us all the importance of selfless commitment and service. She is the example I aspire to and the standard by which I will judge my contribution.'

For the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme are Charles and Camilla doing anything? I know William, Kate and Harry are going to France and Anne is in Canada for the Battle if Beaumont-Hamel, but what about the rest of the family?

For the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme are Charles and Camilla doing anything? I know William, Kate and Harry are going to France and Anne is in Canada for the Battle if Beaumont-Hamel, but what about the rest of the family?
Charles and Camilla will also be in France.

Charles and Camilla will also be in France.

[FONT=&quot]Yes, official diary[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:
[/FONT]
June 30

Her Majesty The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh will attend a Service and Vigil on the Eve of the Centenary of the Battle of the Somme, in Westminster Abbey, London SW1.

The Duke of Cambridge, The Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry will attend a vigil at the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France.

July 1

The Prince of Wales, accompanied by The Duchess of Cornwall, TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry and TRH The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester will attend the National Commemorative Event to mark the Centenary of the Battle of the Somme at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Memorial to the Missing, Thiepval, France.

The Prince of Wales, accompanied by The Duchess of Cornwall and TRH The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester will attend the ceremony to mark the Centenary of the Battle of the Somme at the Ulster Memorial Tower, Thiepval, France.

The Prince of Wales, accompanied by The Duchess of Cornwall and TRH The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester will attend the Ceremony of Remembrance, hosted by the Government of Canada, to mark the Centenary of the Battle of the Somme at the Beaumont-Hamel Newfoundland Memorial, France.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, accompanied by The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, will visit Carnoy Military Cemetery. The Duchess of Cornwall will lay flowers at the grave of her Great Uncle, Captain Harry Cubitt, who was killed during the Battle of the Somme while serving with the Coldstream Guards

The Princess Royal, Colonel-in-Chief, The Royal Newfoundland Regiment, will attend the National Ceremony of Remembrance for the Battle of Beaumont Hamel, at the National War Memorial, Water Street, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

The Princess Royal will lay a wreath at the Commonwealth War Graves, Mount Pleasant Cemetery, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

I’ve also noticed that the other royals, Duke of Kent, Countess of Wessex, etc., seem to have military engagements on this day also.

Last edited:
July 1
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, accompanied by The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, will visit Carnoy Military Cemetery. The Duchess of Cornwall will lay flowers at the grave of her Great Uncle, Captain Harry Cubitt, who was killed during the Battle of the Somme while serving with the Coldstream Guards

I am so happy she is doing this.
Last week this event was not listed.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Yes, official diary[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:
[/FONT]
June 30

Her Majesty The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh will attend a Service and Vigil on the Eve of the Centenary of the Battle of the Somme, in Westminster Abbey, London SW1.

The Duke of Cambridge, The Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry will attend a vigil at the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France.

July 1

The Prince of Wales, accompanied by The Duchess of Cornwall, TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry and TRH The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester will attend the National Commemorative Event to mark the Centenary of the Battle of the Somme at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Memorial to the Missing, Thiepval, France.

The Prince of Wales, accompanied by The Duchess of Cornwall and TRH The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester will attend the ceremony to mark the Centenary of the Battle of the Somme at the Ulster Memorial Tower, Thiepval, France.

The Prince of Wales, accompanied by The Duchess of Cornwall and TRH The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester will attend the Ceremony of Remembrance, hosted by the Government of Canada, to mark the Centenary of the Battle of the Somme at the Beaumont-Hamel Newfoundland Memorial, France.

The Princess Royal, Colonel-in-Chief, The Royal Newfoundland Regiment, will attend the National Ceremony of Remembrance for the Battle of Beaumont Hamel, at the National War Memorial, Water Street, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

The Princess Royal will lay a wreath at the Commonwealth War Graves, Mount Pleasant Cemetery, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

I’ve also noticed that the other royals, Duke of Kent, Countess of Wessex, etc., seem to have military engagements on this day also.

I think it's good so many of them are doing something military related. I was surprised Andrew, Edward and Sophie weren't going to the service but it's good some of them are going to military bases on the anniversary day.

Prince William spoke of European governments "including our own" who failed to "prevent the catastrophe of world war", in a speech during a military vigil at the gigantic Thiepval Memorial to the Missing in northern France.

He was joined by the Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry for the event ahead of Friday's 100th anniversary of the start of the battle, which lasted 141 days and claimed hundreds of thousands of British, French and German lives.

In an address written by Birdsong novelist Sebastian Faulks, William highlighted the almost 60,000 British and Commonwealth casualties of July 1 1916, the bloodiest day in the history of the British Army.
Read more: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in moving Battle of the Somme tribute | World | News | London Evening Standard

It's a good day for poetry. Harry's choice: First World War Poems - Before Action by William Noel Hodgson

He seems particularly in the past today - feeling the weight of it in the pictures I have seen of him.

As much as he lights up with children and wounded warriors, he dims in the presence of monuments to those who fought for freedom. Bless his heart.

Live Coverage: Battle of the Somme 100: Thiepval- 9:15am July 1st on BBC ONE-
In Attendance: The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Henry of Wales and The Duke & Duchess of Gloucester, Heads of State, 10,000 Spectators, members of the public (British, French and Irish) military personnel and British and French school children-
BBC One - Battle of the Somme 100, Thiepval

BBC ONE:
www.mediahhh.com

Last edited:
Live Coverage: Battle of the Somme 100: Thiepval- 9:15am July 1st on BBC ONE-
In Attendance: The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Henry of Wales and The Duke & Duchess of Gloucester, Heads of State, 10,000 Spectators, members of the public (British, French and Irish) military personnel and British and French school children-
BBC One - Battle of the Somme 100, Thiepval

BBC ONE:
Mediahhh Free UK TV Anywhere
You can watch it here too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y60wDzZt8yg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom