The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-28-2016, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I suppose William and Catherine shouldn't have had Harry over to Apartment 1A at Kensington Palace to dine with the President and First Lady of the United States?

Old 04-28-2016, 12:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry has met the Obamas before, Michelle a couple of times before, both at the White House and away from it. How do we know that the Cambridges didn't want Harry there to lighten the atmosphere of the dinner party with his fun and jokes. Michelle Obama probably appreciated seeing him. They greeted each other with a kiss, like old friends.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:35 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As the three of them form the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry and they have interacted with the Obamas several times related to their foundation's interests along with several other causes, it just made sense to me that the three hosted the dinner party.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Harry has met the Obamas before, Michelle a couple of times before, both at the White House and away from it. How do we know that the Cambridges didn't want Harry there to lighten the atmosphere of the dinner party with his fun and jokes. Michelle Obama probably appreciated seeing him. They greeted each other with a kiss, like old friends.
Honestly I think it would have been odd not to include Harry since he was in the UK and as you pointed out all three have known the First Couple for some time now. I agree that it was likely a pleasant evening for all.

I don't mind seeing the trio especially when they are performing engagements on behalf of their royal foundation. To me it is no different than when other royal siblings and their spouses are together.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaSmile View Post
Recently Harry joined Wills to tour the Star Wars set. This is right after William came back from India.

I hate it when Harry joins William (or Kate for that matter) on royal visits. Harry is real, William & Kate are phony, phony, phony. And it looks like they are using Harry to boost their own pr. And to make matters even WORSE: they think we are so stupid that they are getting away with it.

I just hate it when they do royal visits together!!! [Grumpy]
I think that's a personal issue for you. Most of us find it delightful watching the two brothers work together, and really enjoy seeing how all three of them get along and like each other. Their trip to the Harry Potter set was one of my favorite royal engagements of all time. And their video for their new mental health initiative was completely delightful.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaSmile View Post
Recently Harry joined Wills to tour the Star Wars set. This is right after William came back from India.

I hate it when Harry joins William (or Kate for that matter) on royal visits. Harry is real, William & Kate are phony, phony, phony. And it looks like they are using Harry to boost their own pr. And to make matters even WORSE: they think we are so stupid that they are getting away with it.

I just hate it when they do royal visits together!!! [Grumpy]
This is some of the stupidest things I've ever heard. TRF is really starting to turn in to the Daily Mail comments section.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I think that's a personal issue for you. Most of us find it delightful watching the two brothers work together, and really enjoy seeing how all three of them get along and like each other. Their trip to the Harry Potter set was one of my favorite royal engagements of all time. And their video for their new mental health initiative was completely delightful.

Sadly there are many people who see the relationship between William and Harry as a competition - even suggesting, on other sites, that the brothers no longer get along, that Kate is always flirting with Harry and that William doesn't object to that as William can't stand Kate anymore.

They are always arguing that even when William and Kate are photographed together looking lovingly that it is a PR exercise.

Rather than consider the fact that both Diana and Charles encouraged the boys to be close, raised Harry to be a supporter for his older brother and really wanted them to be a team together (as in a way Elizabeth and Margaret were even after Philip joined the trio - not that Margaret did many official engagements with them in the early years of the marriage and then The Queen ascended the throne but that wasn't the pln which was that the two sisters would work together a lot in the reign of George VI as he aged - exactly the plan that is coming to fruition with William, Harry and Kate).

William is very popular according to the polls, with Harry just ahead of him and Kate just behind but the Kate and/or William haters keep saying things like 'The Queen and Charles area planning ways to remove William from the line of succession' etc so that Harry can be King.

The reality is that William and Harry are still very close, Harry enjoys the company of his brother and sister-in-law, niece and nephew, and that in time, if Harry marries then the two couples will do things together.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Members of the Royal Family do not carry out engagements together for the purpose of boosting (or indeed diminishing) one another's popularity.

I always find it useful to remember that not everything in life (royal life or otherwise) is a PR exercise.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 PM
Majesty

You took the words right out of my mouth Jack.

These people work for the same Firm, have the same goals and most of all, they're a family. There's no competition whatsoever. One thing is obvious and that is William and Harry are quite close as brothers.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-29-2016, 11:57 AM
Heir Apparent

I never know where to put the William and Harry stuff. It's not a current event per se but could become one I suppose. (if true)

Quote:
Speaking to The Sun newspaper, Bear said: "Prince Harry and William are great. We've met on a few occasions especially with championing the conservation stuff in China. We've done a few projects there. I'm a big fan of them.

We definitely have a TV thing in the pipeline but we're keeping that under wraps at the moment. It's very exciting.''
Royal brothers to rough it with Bear Grylls on TV show | Channel24
Old 04-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
This is some of the stupidest things I've ever heard. TRF is really starting to turn in to the Daily Mail comments section.
Heaven forbid. I never seem to understand the 'Harry is being used' argument. He's a member of the RF, he does engagements for the Firm not himself or his own popularity. Honestly, as if this were some high school superlative competition.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:24 PM
Majesty

Reminds me of the "my dog is better than your dog" kind of thing between humans while the pooches happily go around sniffing butts, chasing sticks and doing what dogs do. Silly humans.
― John Lennon
Old 04-30-2016, 09:46 PM
Royal Highness

The date on the 'text message' from the FLOTUS was displayed as April 27th, however cellphone dates can be manipulated.

It is possible the Invictus challenge was created the week before when the Obamas were in London/Windsor.

The set-up could have occurred during the meeting at KP Apt. 1A. The filming of both segments may also have occurred in the U.K.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent

What does any of that matter? I don't think anyone's saying that the videos and messages were completely spontaneous and thought of at exactly the same time on both sides of the Atlantic. We know that all concerned are busy people and some setting up and coordination must have occurred.
What matters though is that the message about the Games got out, the way it was done was very cute and that it gave everyone a giggle.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
The date on the 'text message' from the FLOTUS was displayed as April 27th, however cellphone dates can be manipulated.

It is possible the Invictus challenge was created the week before when the Obamas were in London/Windsor.

The set-up could have occurred during the meeting at KP Apt. 1A. The filming of both segments may also have occurred in the U.K.

Exactly. It was very well done social media content and got a good laugh and some nice headlines for a worthy cause.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-30-2016, 10:26 PM
Majesty

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Sadly there are many people who see the relationship between William and Harry as a competition - even suggesting, on other sites, that the brothers no longer get along, that Kate is always flirting with Harry and that William doesn't object to that as William can't stand Kate anymore.

They are always arguing that even when William and Kate are photographed together looking lovingly that it is a PR exercise.

Rather than consider the fact that both Diana and Charles encouraged the boys to be close, raised Harry to be a supporter for his older brother and really wanted them to be a team together (as in a way Elizabeth and Margaret were even after Philip joined the trio - not that Margaret did many official engagements with them in the early years of the marriage and then The Queen ascended the throne but that wasn't the pln which was that the two sisters would work together a lot in the reign of George VI as he aged - exactly the plan that is coming to fruition with William, Harry and Kate).

William is very popular according to the polls, with Harry just ahead of him and Kate just behind but the Kate and/or William haters keep saying things like 'The Queen and Charles area planning ways to remove William from the line of succession' etc so that Harry can be King.

The reality is that William and Harry are still very close, Harry enjoys the company of his brother and sister-in-law, niece and nephew, and that in time, if Harry marries then the two couples will do things together.
I think that those people spreading such gossip are not even British or Commonwealth members because at least they understand the monarchy enough to know that the heir is the heir!
Old 04-30-2016, 10:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sadly some of them claim to be British on some of other royal sites.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Majesty

i loved the video of the queen, harry and the obamas! these 4 have some sense of humour.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-10-2016, 01:31 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

We've also had the first Garden Party of the Summer.
PA Images ‏@PAImages 16m16 minutes ago
Garden Party at Buckingham Palace http://bit.ly/27aZ3ay #QueenAt90 #QueensGardenParty
https://twitter.com/PAImages/status/730068066718126080

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 3m3 minutes ago
The Queen told Canadian guests at her garden party that she sympathised with the victims of the recent wildfires
https://twitter.com/QueenVicMirror/s...71459419262976

The Royal Family ‏@RoyalFamily 38m38 minutes ago
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, and Princess Alexandra meet #GardenParty guests at Buckingham Palace
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...62872286507008

The Royal Family ‏@RoyalFamily 40m40 minutes ago
.@TheDukeOfYork and The Countess of Wessex meet guests at today's Buckingham Palace #GardenParty
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...62512373272576

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 1m1 minute ago
When one garden party guest asked The Queen today if she would like to go back to Hong Kong she said long journeys are not suitable for her
https://twitter.com/QueenVicMirror/s...83122310713344
Old 05-10-2016, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
We've also had the first Garden Party of the Summer.
Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 3m3 minutes ago
The Queen told Canadian guests at her garden party that she sympathised with the victims of the recent wildfires
https://twitter.com/QueenVicMirror/s...71459419262976
... Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 1m1 minute ago
When one garden party guest asked The Queen today if she would like to go back to Hong Kong she said long journeys are not suitable for her
https://twitter.com/QueenVicMirror/s...83122310713344
Have any of you been close enough to understand how this happens? Does the press lurk behind the where the Queen is speaking to people and then once the Queen moves on walk up to those people and ask what she said? I'm assuming that is how they get the reports this quickly?

Tags
british royal family, british royals, current events