The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-22-2016, 08:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
George looks cute in his dressing gown and pjs, and love the rocking horse. However, this event just looks rather awkward and terribly, terribly staged to me, down to the appearance of George and the carefully placed presents the Obamas have sent him. Odd for a couple (the Cambridges) who, it's inferred, don't like putting their children on show for the cameras.
Well, I assumed the photos were staged, and that it was a way of saying "thank you" for the gifts. I'm sure they intentionally got the gifts out because the Obamas were coming (sort of way that, if one's grandmother is coming to visit, one might decide to wear a sweater that was a gift from the grandmother). I took it as a polite gesture, anyway.

George is just too cute in his pajamas and bathrobe. Though I sort of wonder if, when he's, he might be a bit embarrassed that he was wearing pjs when he was introduced to the President.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:41 PM
Courtier

I love the pictures of the Obamas with the Cambridges and Harry. They all look like they're dressed for a relaxed date night, which I hope they all enjoyed.

The pictures of George are just absolutely adorable in his pajamas. I think it's nice that George got to "thank" the Obamas for their gift. Very sweet.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:14 PM
Courtier

These photos were taking by White House photographer Pete Souza (The one w/ the Obamas inside KP)
Old 04-22-2016, 10:13 PM
Serene Highness

Of course they took out the gifts the Obamas gave to show that they and George appreciated their gesture.

However, they look quite relaxed, and little Prince George looks like a normal little kid who is meeting an adult for the first time. He could probably tell that something special was going on because of the cameras and the fuss with dinner.

I don't know if people know, but POTUS has a photographer with him a lot to document the presidency and release photographs to let people know what he's doing.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Bringing out the Obama's gifts is the equivalent of when there is a state dinner and the palace will setup a display of items in the Royal collection from that country.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-22-2016, 11:26 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Bringing out the Obama's gifts is the equivalent of when there is a state dinner and the palace will setup a display of items in the Royal collection from that country.
Even though this was quite an informal dinner and not a full blown state occasion, what the Cambridges did with their gifts received is no different than what millions of other people do with their gifts which is to display them prominently when the giver is visiting. Its called a show of appreciation. Same thing with George meeting the Obamas before bedtime. I remember many times as a kid being introduced to my parent's guests before being hustled off to bed. Early lessons in social graces and sometimes sneaking out of bed and peeking from the top of the stairs to see what was going on that I was missing.

All in all, I think the Cambridges and Harry and the Obamas probably had quite a few topics of conversation that they were all interested in and made for a congenial dinner. Updates on the Invictus Games, whats been happening with United for Wildlife and probably several other joint ventures that these people have worked together on. They aren't strangers by any means.

The dinner party seems to have been a success. We got pictures from a royal trio hosting a President and First Lady of the USA to dinner and introducing their royal child who will one day be King. Isn't this what the media has been clamoring for? W&K&H step up to the task and prove that they're more than capable in my book.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-23-2016, 12:45 AM
Courtier

Quite nice that Prince George briefly met the Obamas to personally thank them for the gifts they had sent him. After all, the Queen arranged for the Obama daughters to ride in a carriage at BP when Michelle and the girls visited a couple of years ago.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Beautiful photos. This dinner must have meant a lot to William and Catherine to have the President and First Lady to their home. Also, to allow cameras into their residence. Although, this isn't the first time cameras was invited into their home. Catherine conducted her interview for 'The Queen at 90' in this same room. I think William has given an interview from their too. If I'm not mistaken.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-23-2016, 02:55 AM
Royal Highness

I did have a laugh at putting out the rocking horse they gave George ...Oh yes he loves it rides it all the time .. Funnier still I'm sure Obama didn't even know what he gave as a present.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:01 AM
Heir Apparent

A credit to William to pull this off. 2nd in line hosing a head of state.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

I hope everyone know that the Cambridge's will be hosting many other officials in their home in the future. Especially when they are the Prince and Princess of Wales. I know some folks are giving the royal couple some slack for this. Charles does this at Clarence House, and The Queen does this at all her Residences, except Sandringham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I did have a laugh at putting out the rocking horse they gave George ...Oh yes he loves it rides it all the time .. Funnier still I'm sure Obama didn't even know what he gave as a present.

The rocking horse is an official gift from the President and First Lady to Prince George. I think it's stored in the Royal collection. They probably brought it out for this visit. It will likely be brought out again for future US State Visits or Exhibitions.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-23-2016, 04:04 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I'm afraid it all looks rather awkward, as it nearly always does on social occasions with people who don't know each other very well. To me it looks staged, down to the carefully placed toys the Obamas sent George (the rocking horse and stuffed dog.) Rather odd behaviour from a couple who dislike their children being placed before cameras or receiving undue public scrutiny. George looks a bit bewildered, to be honest.
It is totally staged, and is clear to me that William defines when the privacy of his children is being intruded. So George in the park on his kick board is bad bad paparazzi business but George in his pj's at home is fine because the potus is around and the pictures create so much positive headlines for the Cambridges to get rid of the workshy image
Old 04-23-2016, 04:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
It is totally staged, and is clear to me that William defines when the privacy of his children is being intruded. So George in the park on his kick board is bad bad paparazzi business but George in his pj's at home is fine because the potus is around and the pictures create so much positive headlines for the Cambridges to get rid of the workshy image

Do people seriously not get the difference?

One is an instance where people are taking pictures of a child without his parents consent. The other is an instance where people are taking pictures of a child with his parents consent.

If your child is at the park do you really want a complete stranger taking pictures of him/her? Would you not view it differently from forcing your kid to wear something cute so you can take a picture of them with a dinner guest (or in this case, having a third party who you've invited into your home as well take the pictures)?

What is it about the Cambridges being royalty that makes people think that any degree of privacy isn't allowable, and consent is unnecessary?
Old 04-23-2016, 05:41 AM
Royal Highness

All of this is very nice, but George in robe on a rocking horse is a bit much and so cliché imo ...
I'm cynical ? Maybe. At the end the picture is perfect, but a bit too much under control ...
Old 04-23-2016, 08:42 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree. I also think that the ony toy wasnt there by chance. Certainly the toy doesn't sit all the time in the Cambirdge's dining room. It was brought there because it is a gift from the Obamas. Well, we all were able to get a glimpse of their home and to see precious George
Old 04-23-2016, 08:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince George was 'adorable', Obama tells London audience in town hall-style meeting

Prince George was 'adorable', Obama tells London audience in town hall-style meeting | Politics | News | London Evening Standard
Old 04-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
All of this is very nice, but George in robe on a rocking horse is a bit much and so cliché imo ...
I'm cynical ? Maybe. At the end the picture is perfect, but a bit too much under control ...
Well, did one want the situation out of control? Official visit to the royal residences are always control and a bit staged. In fact, any visit to someone's home is a bit staged. It's best to have things under control.

The Cambridge's wanted to show the Obama's they appreciate the rocking horse and the 'Bo' dog toy as gifts to their children.

This visit may have been informal, but it was an official visit. The royals always roll out the official gifts on official visits.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-23-2016, 10:55 AM
Serene Highness

I don't get it. William and Catherine don't participate in official visits, and there are complaints. Now they DO participate in an official visit, hosting THE HEAD OF STATE FROM THE UK'S BIGGEST INTERNATIONAL PARTNER, and making him feel welcome and appreciated by show how their toddler son appreciates their previous gift, and there are complaints.

And, yes, I meant to shout.

They can't win. They cannot win. No one can-there are complaints no matter what, for everyone (not just W and C), every time. It's ridiculous.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
I don't get it. William and Catherine don't participate in official visits, and there are complaints. Now they DO participate in an official visit, hosting THE HEAD OF STATE FROM THE UK'S BIGGEST INTERNATIONAL PARTNER, and making him feel welcome and appreciated by show how their toddler son appreciates their previous gift, and there are complaints.

And, yes, I meant to shout.

They can't win. They cannot win. No one can-there are complaints no matter what, for everyone (not just W and C), every time. It's ridiculous.
People will just have to get used to them doing this. The Cambridge's welcomed a Head of State and First Lady to their official residence for the first time.

I don't understand the complaints either.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-23-2016, 12:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, I guess the Cambridge's are now getting the chance to share hosting duties with The Queen and Charles. The Royal couple and Harry have formed a relationship with the Obama's and share similar interests.

Now, let's be clear, I did not expect we would see the Cambridge's actual apartment on this visit. Then again, I know Kensington Palace is their official residence. They will likely host others here and William and Catherine have allowed cameras in before for interviews. I guess we will start seeing more of this in the future.

I think George being present was a very rare and special moment. The President and First Lady would never intrude on anyone's privacy, but I guess William and Catherine decided it would be nice for George to meet the Head of State and First Lady before he was off to bed. I think it was a very nice, kind and personal decision.

I'm just appreciative of the fact that our out going President and First Lady has been embraced by the British royals.

One have to excuse me, but I just can't but smile over this whole visit.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS

Tags
british royal family, british royals, current events