The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-07-2016, 05:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaChips View Post
I did read the article earlier and basically they were fully booked and didn't think it was right to cancel anyone's booking to fit the royals in.
I think the hotel made the right call. First come, first served. I'm just surprised that William, Catherine, and Harry weren't booked at the same time by KP staff. Unless they were, and Harry is also out. Maybe the headline is misleading.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I read in another article it was the Foreign Office responsible for making the reservations. This particular five-star hotel near the Somme was booked months in advance and didn't want to evict customers for the royals.

I'm sure other accommodations will be made at a different hotel

Old 03-07-2016, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I won't click on The Express because it's become a total trash rag. But from the headline I presume that the hotel had room for Harry but not for the Cambridges. Strange. Maybe his staff called earlier.
The headline is misleading. Harry was turned down as well, so now they all have to find another place to stay.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:14 PM
Aristocracy

Everyone will be fine, in the end.

The Foreign Office will find somewhere for them to stay. The hotel will get a bit of publicity, which I'm sure was their aim in instigating the story. And the Express gets their little kick in with the airbnb crack as well as some ad revenue.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

But, But, But hel..the Express article has me concerned that there is no room at the inn for them!!! Perhaps they should rent a mobile home for the trio????
Old 03-07-2016, 10:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Worse case scenario, they stay at the British embassy in Paris and Royal Helicopter the 80 miles to the Somme.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-07-2016, 11:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that's probably what will happen. It might be more convenient all round for them to stay in Paris.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:41 AM
Majesty

Wonder if that doesn't happen more often that we think?
Especially since W&K and Harry, after all, are not the Monarch nor the Heir. So looking at it dispassionately they are VIP's alright but not the highest ranking.
And if no guests are willing to move, well, that's it. Bad for business to kick otherwise paying guests out and perhaps the hotel (and their guests) are not at all interested in having the press surrounding the hotel?

I have a feeling this has become a story because it's the BRF.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Wonder if that doesn't happen more often that we think?
Especially since W&K and Harry, after all, are not the Monarch nor the Heir. So looking at it dispassionately they are VIP's alright but not the highest ranking.
And if no guests are willing to move, well, that's it. Bad for business to kick otherwise paying guests out and perhaps the hotel (and their guests) are not at all interested in having the press surrounding the hotel?

I have a feeling this has become a story because it's the BRF.
Yes Muhler. It's rather more, I think that the press assumes that they would stay locally. Or even in a Hotel.
I did a search for 5 star hotels in the area - and even heading toward the coast, where there were past year's battlefield celebrations, the 5 star pickings are slim.
Plus, I'd think that security concerns trump whether or not a facility has 5 stars. Private homes have made excellent choices for royal stays in the past.
It's not as if they could not drive in for the day from elsewhere. Somewhere safe and less expected.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Her Majesty The Queen, accompanied by His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales visited The Prince's Trust Centre in Kennington, London today to mark the 40th anniversary of The Prince's Trust. .

Home - ITNSource News

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Great to see them attending an event together!

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: The Queen And Prince Of Wales Visit The Prince's Trust Centre **

** express.co.uk: Queen is all smiles as she joins Charles on trip to mark anniversary of Prince's Trust **

** dailymail: The Queen, radiant in bright blue, enjoys a rare day out with Charles to celebrate.. **
Old 03-08-2016, 02:48 PM
Royal Highness

The truth is that the Quai d'Orsay in Paris (Foreign affairs) just checked the availability of the hotel ( as they did for VARIOUS hotels around Amiens) and this particular one was just fully booked during the time of the stay of the royals

Désolé c'est complet. Un hôtel à Amiens aÂ*dû décliner une réservation... de la famille royale britannique

Of course the hotel didn't turn down the BRF...

Hotel Marotte - Hôtel de Charme - Amiens - HOTEL MAROTTE
Old 03-08-2016, 02:50 PM
Majesty

Wasn't the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of France notified well in advance about the engagement in question? Why were they unable to make reservations?

At the same time, the drama in mass media is characteristically cheap and British.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

No need to worry. The royal party will have a place to stay.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-08-2016, 02:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

Wasn't the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of France notified well in advance about the engagement in question? Why were they unable to make a reservations?

Of course yes ! The events will be in July so the quai D'Orsay is currently making plans for the visit. During the process one of the hotels selected by offcials just precised that they were unfortunately fully booked for the intended stay of the BRF (it's a small hotel in the center of Amiens, only 12 rooms !). It's as simply as that !
Old 03-08-2016, 03:08 PM
Majesty

Thanks for the clarifications!
As usually, the mass media in a hysterical frenzy is very British and cheap.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Belga

Belga Image - Editorial
Old 03-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

I stayed in Albert - another town not far from the Somme battlefields in 2014 and was told then that most hotels in the Somme area of all levels were fully booked for the period from late June to early July this year for the 100th commemorations of the Somme with some people making their bookings up to 10 years ago at the 90th commemorations.

Thus to be leaving it to four months beforehand shows lack of planning or arrogance on the part of the BRF.

The tour company I travel with normally takes around 20 - 30 school groups around that time to the Somme and this year they have said 'no groups' at all in the June/July school holidays as the entire Somme area is fully booked (that announcement was sent to schools in 2014 as well).
Old 03-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I think she did a bit about domestic abuse. But I'm talking about mental health of women being excluded by Will Harry and Kate. Considering Kate being a new mum including PND would seem a good fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Duchess of Cornwall tells how she wants to 'shine a light on the violence hiding in the dark corners of our society’ http://t.co/QFUIrR3jQW

I will be interested in reading this. I don't know if ANY royal can sprinkle royal fairy dust on this problem and make it better. Bold move to take this one on.
I mean any royal !! I'm not saying this because it's Camila. I know they take on mental health visting jails etc.
I just don't see a visit by a royal "shinning a light on it " can help.
Please note this is JMO.
Fairy dust now available.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:13 AM
Royal Highness

Not sure what your meaning, is there a reduction in domestic violence since Camilla went to the shelter ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Tags
british royal family, british royals, current events