British Royal Family Current Events 8: April 2015-January 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My family all went taking their school age children. I'm so proud of my country it's the best country in the world. I loved that Harry and Charles were at ANZAC cove
My daughter has gone there during her traveling days and said it's the most moving thing she has ever done.
Anyway way off topic , sorry

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't remember reading anything official about Prince Harry reading. I think it might have been a rumour that took on a life of its own. There were some fringe republicans trying to stir up trouble by claiming the Prince of Wales and Prince Harry would officially represent Australia and New Zealand at Gallipoli, and perhaps even speak on our behalf. This, they claimed, would be an insult to the memory of all those who died. It was a complete beat up. The Prime Ministers represented Australia and New Zealand. I would prefer to have seen the Governors-General as the representatives of the two nations rather than a couple of politicians. But on occasions such as this Prime Ministers, republican or monarchist, Liberal or Labor, can always be relied upon to usurp what should be Vice-Regal ceremonies.

Well, it wasn't a rumour after all. Prince Harry spoke at the Lone Pine ceremony, very nicely too (though he could have stopped off for a haircut on the way).

Last edited by a moderator:
The GGs were where they should have been - at home leading the commemorations here and started and ended the day together while the people we elected to lead us were at the different ceremonies overseas. The Leader of the Opposition from Australia, Bill Shorten, for instance was at Villers-Bretennoux and spoke very well there - as did Abbot and Key at their respective times and places.

I have never seen any suggestion that Charles or Harry would represent Australia at Gallipoli - only that they would be there at the British events for the most part - as Charles did 10 years ago when he concentrated on the British events but also attended the Dawn Service, Lone Pine, a Turkish Service and a NZ one as well.

First photo of the ceremony at the Cenotaph:

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 3m3 minutes ago
Expectant father Prince William (and his grandparents) at the Cenotaph Gallipoli commemoration. #Gallipoli100

The Queen looks stunning!

@BritishMonarchy: The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and The Duke of Cambridge attend a ceremony at the Cenotaph #ANZAC100 #Gallipoli100 http://t.co/crfBgPNrJD

Two hat day;

@RegalEyes: Not exactly all change for HM but there was a quick hat change before heading to @wabbey from the Cenotaph. http://t.co/amAA7WAkvk

Videos:
The Duke of Edinburgh has laid at wreath at the Gallipoli Memorial in St Paul's Cathedral this morning, as part of a series of events marking the 100th anniversary-

Home - ITNSource News

This morning services took place across London to commemorate the centenary of the Gallipoli campaign and Anzac Day. The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh and the Duke of Cambridge along with Party Leaders David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband attended a wreath laying service at the Cenotaph Whitehall to pay tribute to those who lost their lives during the war. The commemoration closed with a march past along Whitehall past the Cenotaph including representatives from various military organisations-
Home - ITNSource News

I'd like to thank HRH The Prince of Wales for his wonderful, sensitive and moving reading at the Dawn Service at Gallipoli, yesterday. That letter bought tears to my eyes, and, my son who was there, said that many thousands were similarly affected, even some of the top brass and international dignitaries and representatives. The wreath which HRH laid was simply beautiful with his POW feathers flourishing. He really did Australia and New Zealand proud.

Later, at Lone Pine, Prince Harry spoke well with genuine respect and honour for the dead Diggers, but nothing can ever surpass the emotional pull of the joint Dawn Service.

I'm sorry that I didn't see New Zealand's separate commemoration, but as always, was impressed by the beautiful rendition of its national anthem, sung in both Maori and English.

Again, many thanks and much gratitude to the Prince of Wales. It was the most 'kingly' that I've ever seen him.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 6m 6 minutes ago
The Queen accompanied by Prince Philip, Prince Charles & Camilla will present New Colours to the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards on Thursday.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 5m 5 minutes ago
The Queen accompanied by Prince Philip will present New Colours to the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards on Thursday at Windsor Castle.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 3m 3 minutes ago
Prince Charles accompanied by Camilla will also attend. Charles has been Regimental Colonel of the Welsh Guards since 1975.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 2m 2 minutes ago
Her Majesty, Prince Philip, Charles and Camilla will later attend a Regimental Garden Party in the grounds of the Castle.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · now
The 1st Battalion received its first Colours at Buckingham Palace from King George V on 3rd August, 1915.

Any pictures from the 1st Battalion receiving its first Colours or the Regimental Garden Party?

Thanks

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 4h 4 hours ago
The Queen and other royals will attend the Royal Victorian Order service at St George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle today.

28th April 2015-
WINDSOR CASTLE:

The Queen, Sovereign of the Order, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, was present this morning at a Service of the Royal Victorian Order held in St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle.
The Duke of York, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, The Princess Royal, Grand Master of the Order, and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent, Prince Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy were also present.
Her Majesty and His Royal Highness were received by the Dean of Windsor (the Right Reverend David Conner) and the Chaplain of the Order (the Reverend Professor Peter Galloway).
Detachments of Her Majesty's Body Guard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms, The Queen's Body Guard of the Yeomen of the Guard and the Military Knights of Windsor were on duty in St. George's Chapel.
Afterwards The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh gave a Reception at Windsor Castle for those who attended the Service-
http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/CourtCircular/Todaysevents.aspx

I wish there were pictures of this event. It's one of the events we don't get a chance to see.

Video:
Her Majesty The Queen has presented New Colours to the Welsh Guards in the Quadrangle of Windsor Castle, .

Home - ITNSource News

I must say that is a big royal turn out for the event which is great to see.

Pity there isn't any pictures so far of the royals

zimbio.com gallery

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 52m 52 minutes ago
The Queen, Philip, Prince Charles and Camilla will attend a thanksgiving service at Westminster Abbey on May 10 for the VE Day anniversary.

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 55m 55 minutes ago
Earlier in the day, Prince Andrew will represent the Queen at a national service at the Cenotaph to mark 70 years since Victory in Europe.

Roya Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah · 56m 56 minutes ago
The Queen will light the first of a series of over 200 beacons around the UK on Friday 8th May to mark the 70th anniversary of VE Day.

Unusual that not all the members of the family are not attending the service or doing anything for the 70th anniversary. (Although I am hoping that Edward and Sophie are unable to attend because they are going to Monaco for a christening....) It's odd to not seen Anne participate in this.

According to the Future Engagements on the British Monarchy Website:

There is nothing listed for anyone for the 10th May

Anne has nothing listed this week, which is rare for her.

Edward has nothing on between the 6th and 11th.

Sophie is going to the Channel Islands for events on the 9th and then other events on the 11th.

9th May 2015
CW.jpg

The Countess of Wessex

will visit the Bailiwicks of Guernsey and Jersey to attend events commemorating the Seventieth Anniversary of the Liberation of the Islands.

According to the Future Engagements on the British Monarchy Website:
There is nothing listed for anyone for the 10th May
Anne has nothing listed this week, which is rare for her

Earlier in the weekend when I checked the week ahead, Anne had an engagement that was (and I quote) "." LOL - where is that?

The Nation Remembers: VE Day- 70th Anniversary: BBC One
Service of Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey- 11am Sunday

Her Majesty The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, together with other members of the Royal Family, will attend a service of thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey to commemorate the historic occasion-
BBC One - VE Day 70, The Nation Remembers

British Royals @britishroyals · 2h 2 hours ago
Tomorrow: The Queen, Pr Philip, Charles & Camilla will attend the #VEDay70 Thanksgiving Service at Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey » HM The Queen to Attend VE Day Thanksgiving Service

Outside UK Viewers:
tvpc.com - BBC 1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom